Episode #0135 (29 June 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0135 (29 June 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:05 am

Episode #0135 (download MP3) (rss feed)
67:49; 64 kbps, mono; 31.0 MB

Episode #0135! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff interview some of the brains behind the new "DBZ Abridged" series from TeamFourStar. Where did this hilarious new fandub series come from, and what can we look forward to in the future? Julian joins in to discuss all of the latest news, including our own creation of drama between dub voice actors, the live-action movie, video games, music, and so much more! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-thirty-five* episodes, now.

We had an absolute blast recording this episode, and hopefully you'll all enjoy it, too! We'd love to hear what you think about everything.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:32 am

That was such an awesome topic, I'm another person who does Abridged styled parodies, but I'm not known, I enjoy making mine, most of the jokes I do are aimed at mainly the fandom. It was nice to hear Lanipator and KaiserNeko talk about the process.

This was such an awesome podcast episode, and it came out pretty early compared to usual.

Nappa: Vegeta, I didn't know you could speak French.

That's great.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:25 am

Oh, wow, I thought he said "A pool", and I was so confused.

And...now it makes sense to me. xD

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:35 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Oh, wow, I thought he said "A pool", and I was so confused.

And...now it makes sense to me. xD
Don't feel bad I thought he said "a poodle." :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:49 am

Okay, got to the end of the podcast.

I watched the Abridged clip and everything the team did before listening to it, which is something I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't listened to it but for some reason reads the thread in advance.

I didn't think the DBZ Abridged was as good as LittleKuribo's Yu-Gi-OH! offering, honestly. But it was funny, and I laughed out loud at a couple jokes.

The video that the last part of the podcast references was actually not all that funny to me. The end of the episode, though...wow. I'm still laughing at it. And it's so STUPID, but...I guess it's the delivery. xD

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:38 am

I've never seen an "abridged" series before, but that, was AWESOME. I now know why you want these guys to get to work on their second episode so badly.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Masako-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masako-kun » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 am

Hey guys,

This is MasakoX, voice of Goku! ^^ I'm glad you liked our Abridged episode. We plan to do more obviously in the future and I must say it's an honour to be part of such an awesome project.

:D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:46 am

Masako-kun wrote:Hey guys,

This is MasakoX, voice of Goku! ^^ I'm glad you liked our Abridged episode. We plan to do more obviously in the future and I must say it's an honour to be part of such an awesome project.

Are you English, good sir?

I just started listening to the Podcast now, my brother loves MSI so I'll have to do a "They mentioned MSI on the podcast!" and that's it.

Awesome Podcast, Great job!

Most Abridged series are one guy or girl watching the show with no audio and it's all bad improvisation and not edited, plus they all use fansub footage so it's bad quality and has subtitles all the time. So this version is definitly the best quality abridged, and it's written too, not improv.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:06 am

I'm holding off on listening to the podcast until I'm on the train tomorrow morning, but I will say this about DBZ abridged.

It is the only abridged series other than the original Yu-Gi-Oh! abridged, that I am able to watch and enjoy.

It's refreshing to see something that has a script, and some talented voicework to boot.

Keep up the good work!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Oh man, Klassen needs to get his facts...*groan* Strait. :lol:

Bah, Strait's always been the better of the two. 8)
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:45 pm

Really good podcast, guys! Was fantastic to hear you all taking notice of this new Abridged series and being just as entertained as the rest of us. Looking forward to episode 2! :D
Masako-kun wrote:Hey guys,

Holy crap, you've been here for two years, made three posts, now you'll probably be one of the most popular members here; kudos! Fantastic job on Goku, superb even. If you naturally have a British accent, ya' did a good job at keeping it hidden. Don't be shy at posting more around these parts.
14 years later

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Ah, I was wondering if you guys would bring up the Abridged Series. While it does have a good amount of in-jokes that would be appreciated by older fans (glad to know I'm not the only person who thought of the daizEX crew when the Appule joke came up), I was afraid you guys wouldn't give it a chance considering that Abridged series get so much heat.

I was first introduced to the idea of abridging anime when I ran into Lanipator's Yu Yu Hakusho abridged. Like DBZ abridged, there are plenty of in-jokes and erm, "out-jokes" to please all fans and the dialogue's pretty good, too. Then, when he teamed up with some other "abridgers" to do DBZ movie 1, I got pretty psyched. But I never thought that it would mean going all out and doing the DBZ series as well. I know I'd be turned off to the idea if every other comment in my YouTube profile nagged about it.

The interview was pretty cool, but it seemed like you guys were just so blown away by the first abridged episode that you just couldn't bring up all the cool stuff from the video that you wanted to. For example, I remember Team Four Star actually making a response video to their first episode because some people were turned off by the farmer. That's not to say that what wasn't brought up wasn't interesting, though. It's good to know that remembering obscure scenes like the falling crab do pay off when working on abridged series.

One thing I wanted to know, though, is how later episodes will play up some of the more fan favorite moments in DBZ (ie: first SSJ transformations). I know YYH abridged took the route of downplaying some of the more major moments (ie: renaming the rei gun as finger-blast), but I dunno how that would work with DBZ. It can't be too downplayed or else it'll really seem like you're mocking the series.
The Time Traveller wrote:Most Abridged series are one guy or girl watching the show with no audio and it's all bad improvisation and not edited, plus they all use fansub footage so it's bad quality and has subtitles all the time. So this version is definitly the best quality abridged, and it's written too, not improv.
Agreed. The reason I don't get into most abridged series is because they look like crappy VHS recordings. At least make some kind of attempt to be visually appealing, y'know?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 am

Really enjoyed that one. I'm glad you guys've taken a liking to Abridged fan parodies as well. Oh and THANK YOU for the clear-up segment with Terry Klassen. My drive to send in an e-mail about it now has gone away since I feel it's already been done by this point.

yamicell2501

Post by yamicell2501 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:16 am

I like this abridged series. YGO: TAS was the first one I ever saw, and I can see a lot of parallel to littlekuriboh's style in DBZ Abridged, and I mean that in a good way. There is enough difference to make this just as funny.

I'm actually really looking forward to the next episode, because I don't normally follow any other abridged series other thank LK's, and this is one that I REALLY like. It's very well done with some good voice work and great humor.

Let's just hope DBZ abridged doesn't get shafted by youtube like YGO abridged did (but then again, having one's own site isn't all that bad. lol)
Allow me to show you the terror of perfection. - Perfect Cell (DBZ: Sparking Meteor)

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:22 am

I haven't been posting here in a while - I moved into a new facility at work and I'm just now able to post to the forum at work. Also, since my morning commute is now half as long as it has been for the past year, I'm listening to less of the Podcast on my way to work on Monday mornings....

I did catch the first part up to the News (and hope to fill in with more thoughts later on), but so far it's a good show. Good to hear Jeff again after a seemingly long absence.

I don't think Terry Klaussen was making fun of Sonny Strait, from the soundclip that Mike posted. I would think (optimistically) that Terry's just playing around and knows that Sonny's done a lot of work besides Dragon Ball Z, just as Mike has mentioned. Then I hear that Terry Klaussen was responsible for a lot of the writing for DBZ up to about Season 3 -- so I guess he was responsible for Krillin's infamous "Mondo cool" and Piccolo's infamous "YES YES YES! I CAN WIN! I FEEL GREAT! I CAN DO THIS! UNGH!" lines. I guess that explains Sonny Strait's ribbing of Terry Klaussen in that other soundclip. Again, I'm sure that Sonny was having fun and playing around. I don't think these guys were trying to create drama, and I don't think Mike is trying to create drama about this.

I do understand how Terry Klaussen may not know much more about DBZ after the dubbing went to Texas. I'd think the voice actors who work in Vancouver and Houston would probably not know about the specific roles and details of what those in Fort Worth/Dallas do. However, it's true that a lot of these voice actors have other main jobs - because voice acting doesn't pay well in general, for both English and Japanese voice actors. I was amazed when I learned at last year's Animazement after attending some of the seiyuu's panels that the Japanese also have other jobs as well.

I will be curious to hear about what you think about DBZ Abridged.... I thought Mike would be dismissive about those people, but I guess there's something about this that Mike likes. I've seen some of those episodes and preview clips on YouTube and they're fun to watch.... then again, I am easily amused. :)

Will this episode be as epic as Episode 25 was? We'll see :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:44 am

Oh my GOD! Nappa was my least favourite character of the Abridged series, but after that joke at the end of the podcast he's WAY up there with Krillin and Goku :D I laughed out loud while listening in the train omg :p

That was an awesome podcast and I thoroughly enjoyed everything (from the news to releases to the topic). I don't know, but having all four of you (so Mike, Meri, Jeff and Julian) talking is just soooo much fun :p

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Awesome episode! Good to see Team Four Star on the show! The first episode was great and I loved all the throwbacks to the old fandom. Anyways, keep up the great work, TFS! I look forward to more!

The crab had me laughing for a long time!

tlsmith1963

Re: Episode #0135 (29 June 2008)

Post by tlsmith1963 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Episode #0135 (download MP3) (rss feed)
67:49; 64 kbps, mono; 31.0 MB

Episode #0135! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff interview some of the brains behind the new "DBZ Abridged" series from TeamFourStar. Where did this hilarious new fandub series come from, and what can we look forward to in the future? Julian joins in to discuss all of the latest news, including our own creation of drama between dub voice actors, the live-action movie, video games, music, and so much more! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-thirty-five* episodes, now.

We had an absolute blast recording this episode, and hopefully you'll all enjoy it, too! We'd love to hear what you think about everything.

w0rd.
As soon as I read about DBZ Abridged on the website, I went to the link & watched it. I loved it! I've watched it several times. I can't wait until the next installment. :lol:

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:24 am

I finished the Podcast last night and watched the first DBZ Abridged. At first I was thinking "meh it's another youtube thingy that the kids seem to like" but after listening to the rest of the Podcast, I have discovered PURE GENIUS! I'm glad to see the spirit of good fandubs/fan parodies continue to thrive in this day and age.

And of course: "YEAH! We're gonna get PANTIES!"

Greatest line in the world. And by Nappa, too. Maybe I might be too premature in thinking that Nappa was just Vegeta's gay lover. ;p He's still a big, dumb, loveable oaf (to me).

I'm glad to hear another fun episode with more laughs than usual. We need more laughs on this Podcast from time to time!

As far as those episodes with not-so-much action, I like Episodes 15 and 16 (the Goz/Mez and Princess Snake episodes, respectively) and oddly enough I like "Krillin's Proposal" and "Frieza's Counterattack" right after the Garlic Jr. saga - the first because it's a good Krillin-focused episode, and the second because of Chi-chi and the tutor and Vegeta in the shower :) And of course, the driving episode. See, not all filler episodes suck!

More laughs on the Podcast! More often! :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:44 am

So I guess I'm the only one who didn't absolutely love DBZ Abridged? I mean...it's OK, as far as these things are concerned, but it's hardly the hilarious laugh-a-minute riot that everyone on the podcast is playing it up to be. And it most certainly, in my opinion, did not deserve the 30+ minute gushfest it got here.

[/i]
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022