Episode #0137 (13 July 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0137 (13 July 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 pm

Episode #0137 (download MP3) (rss feed)
21:34; 64 kbps, mono; 9.87 MB

Episode #0137! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss some of the latest news, including the Jump Anime Festival DB short premiering this year, new McDonald's toys in Japan, and "DragonBall DS". DBZ ABCs, July's releases, and our contest round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-thirty-seven* episodes, now.

That's all! Gotta run! Crappy-looking footage from the 90s awaits my editing!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:41 pm

This is silly, but I have to point out that the idea that Cold is more powerful than Freeza is either an anime-only thing or a complete fan misinterpretation. In the manga, Cold is never referred to as being stronger than Freeza, and Freeza calls himself the "strongest in the universe" right in front of Cold when boasting to Trunks. Daizenshuu 7's bio for Cold says that he is "somewhat inferior to Freeza".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:43 pm

FUNimation makes GT look so cool in the trailer you linked to on the home page. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XnDODp2BeM

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:26 am

The GT box sets are gonna be a total pass for me, as I have the original Funi DVDs, minus the "Lost Episodes". 8)
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Quite the average episode, but understandable, what with all your videos and whatnot. The silly wedding gift stories at the beginning were pretty fun, though :D.

The whole GT sets possibly being in full screen is quite the bit of news. Maybe it's because my mind was wandering, but that bit of info wasn't brought up in the episode, right?
SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:The GT box sets are gonna be a total pass for me, as I have the original Funi DVDs, minus the "Lost Episodes". 8)
Same here (with exception to one of the Dark Dragons DVDs that I lent to my friend). I'll probably pick up this set if it indeed is in full screen. Chances are I can pick up those "Lost Episodes" for $5 bucks each on amazon, but I wouldn't mind the extra shelf space saved. Also, getting those discs haven't exactly been one of my top priorities, so it'll be beneficial to be able to pick 'em all up in one swoop. I'm seriously keeping my fingers crossed for getting GT and DB releases in full screen, even though the one that's seriously in need of a consistent full screen release is DBZ :?.

EDIT: Checking the trailer again, it looks like it'll just be 2 GT sets. I Wouldn't want to double dip in that many episodes, and checking eBay, it looks like I can pick up the "Lost Episodes" as a set for $20.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Herms wrote:This is silly, but I have to point out that the idea that Cold is more powerful than Freeza is either an anime-only thing or a complete fan misinterpretation. In the manga, Cold is never referred to as being stronger than Freeza, and Freeza calls himself the "strongest in the universe" right in front of Cold when boasting to Trunks. Daizenshuu 7's bio for Cold says that he is "somewhat inferior to Freeza".
I'm sure Kaiosama also mentions Freeza as being the most powerful being in the universe at some point as well.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Dizrythmia wrote:I'm sure Kaiosama also mentions Freeza as being the most powerful being in the universe at some point as well.
I don't think so, actually. I think Kaio only ever refers to Freeza as extremely powerful.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:10 pm

It looks nice that GT was shown without the letterbox effect in that trailer that was posted -- but considering that more TVs are taking advantage of the 16:9 aspect ratio, perhaps the reason why the trailer looked full-screen was because it was optimized for anamorphic playback? (You know, the picture will take up the whole screen instead of having the letterbox effect)

I'm not sure if I'll be getting these boxsets, but as long as ALL the Japanese BGM is restored to the English dub (yes, this includes "Dan Dan" as the opening and the proper corresponding closing), I'll be getting them eventually. GT isn't exactly on the must-buy list, even though -- thanks to Mike's fake commercial -- the first 16 episodes sound like fun. I'd much rather wait for the eventual Dragon Ball box sets to come out.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Brakus wrote:I'd much rather wait for the eventual Dragon Ball box sets to come out.
You'll be waiting for a long time then. Based on the rate of the previous releases the DBZ season sets won't be all released until late 2009, and the DB season sets (if they are released at the same rate and with about the same amount of episodes per set as the DBZ sets) won't be all released until mid 2010 at the earliest. And seeing that Funimation usually does a completely re-release of the entire series every couple of years I expect to see an English Dragonbox release in the year 2014 at the very, very earliest, if it ever even happens which I doubt it ever will (personal opinion of course).

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:48 pm

That video game podcast was the highlight of my very shitty week so far (ugh and it's only Tuesday). Thank god for Mr.EX's soothing voice! :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:36 am

VGcombos is fucking amazing. Keep up the awesome work guys.

Oh, and there's Daizex too...good stuff :lol:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:19 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Alright, you guys have made me whip out my old Legacy of Goku II game so I can see if I am remembering this correctly.

After about 20 minutes of trying to remember where the computer room in the Capsule Corp. building was I managed to find it and confirm that the game does list "Frieza" as having higher health points, strength, power and endurance than King Kold. Now I know that this has no bearing on what the canon answer to which one is stronger but I just thought that it was interesting to note that the game clearly showed Freeza to be more powerful than his father.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:10 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Herms wrote:This is silly, but I have to point out that the idea that Cold is more powerful than Freeza is either an anime-only thing or a complete fan misinterpretation. In the manga, Cold is never referred to as being stronger than Freeza, and Freeza calls himself the "strongest in the universe" right in front of Cold when boasting to Trunks. Daizenshuu 7's bio for Cold says that he is "somewhat inferior to Freeza".
The anime did indeed make a point of alluding to King Cold being more powerful than Freeza. It's something that the Z Senshi talk about as they fly towards the area where Cold's ship lands, and again while they climb the cliff, as well as again after Trunks does away with Freeza and Cold. Can't remember the exact phrasing, but Daimao's subs have their dialogue as something along the lines of them referring to Cold as "a monster with a Ki even larger than Freeza's".

I've read the King Cold/Cyber Freeza/Trunks stuff in the manga as well, but I never picked up on that plot point being absent from it. Thanks for pointing that out Herms. Crazy.

EDIT: This probably doesn't mean anything at all, but I checked my old mid/late 90's scanlation of this portion (I don't have the Viz volume sorry), and it's there too.

They have Tenshinhan say in the 4th chapter of volume 28;

Tenshinhan: "He's not alone! There's another, an even greater Ki!"

That would probably explain why I never noticed this being absent from the manga... because it was still there in my old-ass scans. :lol:

What I DO have however is the Viz Dragon Ball "Z" volume "10", where they have Freeza quoted as saying to Goku;

Freeza: "I didn't think you'd be this good... you're the first one who's ever put a speck of dust on my body... besides my parents."

Again, probably doesn't mean much (as both old fan scanlations and Viz have translation issues; plus even if Freeza's Viz dialogue is accurate, whatever happened to him as a kid would have little bearing on his strength in the present), but between the anime and the various manga translations over the years, it would explain where fans got the idea that Cold is definitely stronger than Freeza.
That's quote by Tenshinhan is a huge mistranslation. In Japanese, he actually says "I-it isn't just one... There's one more ridiculously huge power with him..."

Here's a post I made on MFG with everything I could find on the subject of Freeza and Cold's strengths.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:03 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Again, while it may differ from the manga, the anime is pretty blatant about Cold being the stronger of the two (as per Steve Simmons' subs).
That may be true, for the English dub at least, but a good rule of thumb is to always trust the Japanese version of the manga for all things canon, as long as you have a good, reliable source for the translation, which I trust Chibi Mystic Gohan to be.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:20 pm

b