Episode #0145 (07 September 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:11 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:I was re listening to the podcast and I noticed Desirecampbell said there are some exceptions to the canonisty of DBZ. He failed to mention Bardock. Originally, he wasn't canon. But Toriyama liked him so much, Bardock became canon. Thus the Bardock Special is canon.
To be fair, we DID have an entire episode all about the character's origins with Nakatsuru & Toriyama's joint design :).
Forgotten Hero wrote:Another thing I wanna question; the whole crew said that the movies never fit in.
Not entirely true. We did mention movie 9. There simply wasn't the time to go through all of the movies; that might be a podcast in and of itself that we do down the line. It's something I started drafting up long ago and got some great input on, but never moved forward with.
LeprikanGT wrote:Why was Piccolo M.I.A. in movie 13, was it ever addressed?
Ya' know, I think we should also do a show topic pointing out which characters were inexplicably missing during a movie :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:24 am

VegettoEX wrote: Ya' know, I think we should also do a show topic pointing out which characters were inexplicably missing during a movie :P.
:lol:

Combine that with a movie continuity podcast, and you've got yourself one helluva show.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:27 am

Great podcast guys, usually, due to my infamous low attention span I blank out during half the podcast or basically anyone or anything I'm pretend to listen too.

I have to admit, I only listen to podcast once every month or so but I'm always amazed how much you guys know about the Dragonball series. What stuck out for me was when VegttoEX said that DB is meant to fun. Something I don't hear often among friends and fans, surprisingly. Listening to all this DB stuff just makes want to drop everything and work on my fanmanga. But if I do that I would end of screwing myself. Clients need websites designed or coded, comic pages have to penciled before the deadline, and bills have to be paid. I gotta be patient I guess. Being responsible sucks.

I look forward to the next podcast.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:50 am

Scarz wrote:due to my infamous low attention span I blank out during half the podcast or basically anyone or anything I'm pretend to listen too.

I have to admit, I only listen to podcast once every month or so but I'm always amazed how much you guys know about the Dragonball series.
Don't worry about it. I have a few podcasts that I subscribe to that are basically my "chill out" ones. They are voices that I've listened to for a few years and have become so familiar with, it's almost like... I dunno... maybe being back in college and overhearing all the shenanigans going on? It's not that I don't value their opinions and what they have to say, but for whatever reason, they're just not my biggest priority on the "must listen to" scale, and I don't feel bad for halfway tuning-out.

I honestly don't have a problem if people do that with us and our show. The fact that there's something there still bringing them back is enough for me, and if they HAPPEN to really get engaged every so often and fully get into it, that's awesome! What I'd ask at that point is what you've already just done... let us know. I can already tell from how immediate the response was to this episode (in forum responses, e-mails, and IMs) that there was something about this one that really hit home with people.
Scarz wrote:What stuck out for me was when VegttoEX said that DB is meant to fun. Something I don't hear often among friends and fans, surprisingly. Listening to all this DB stuff just makes want to drop everything and work on my fanmanga.
That's awesome. Thanks so much. I really, honestly, truly, and whole-heartedly want DB fandom to be everything that I see in the series and the shonen style in general... camaraderie, fun, adventures, dreams, etc. It's sappy and stupid, but it's true. I want us all to have fun and be the bestest of friends in the world.

I know, I occasionally have the idealism of a freakin' five year old. Sue me.
Scarz wrote:But if I do that I would end of screwing myself. Clients need websites designed or coded, comic pages have to penciled before the deadline, and bills have to be paid. I gotta be patient I guess. Being responsible sucks.
I hear ya'! If there wasn't this silly "real life" thing, all I'd be doing is website updates and more podcasts... luckily, I can swing a few of those every so often :D.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote: To be fair, we DID have an entire episode all about the character's origins with Nakatsuru & Toriyama's joint design :).
Yeah, I was only pointing it out.
That Bardock podcast and the Tidbit is really great! Again, I learn so much from the podcast. Those concept sketches are great.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Was anyone going to post the guys dbz tattoos they talked about on the opdcast?

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:53 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Was anyone going to post the guys dbz tattoos they talked about on the opdcast?
That person needs to give Daizenshuu EX the ok to do so. Then maybe we can have the pictures.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Was anyone going to post the guys dbz tattoos they talked about on the opdcast?
That person needs to give Daizenshuu EX the ok to do so. Then maybe we can have the pictures.
nimerjm wrote:Hey board. I'm Jason (the tattooed guy with the question) from this week's podcast and I did send permission from them to post my pics.

My next (and last appointment) is this Thursday, so I should have pics of the finished product in a week or two.

First post - hope I didn't mess up and break a rule!
He posted this back on page two.
­

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:24 am

Oops, my bad!
Cool, more stuff to wait and see!

nimerjm

Post by nimerjm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:37 am

Hey board,

Let me preface with the fact that I'm VERY new to the site and the boards, so if I'm breaking a rule here, I apologize profusely and I won't take personally any punishment I might receive from posting these links.

Since a few people seemed interested in seeing my tattoos, I'm just going to pop two links on here so you can check them out for yourself.

My first DBZ tattoo (my back) - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... Tattoo.jpg

This tattoo was started and completed back in 1999, hence the "less buff" look the characters in early, early DBZ all had (Goku and Piccolo, specifically). Vegeta was taken off a VHS tape box, one of the volumes of the early Namek saga. From Vegeta's foot to Goku's hair (lowest point to highest point) it measures about 1 3/4 feet. Pretty big.

My left arm sleeve (my wrist) -
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/nimerjm/Buu.jpg

As they said on the podcast, this is an older picture, taken about 3-4 months ago. Also on the podcast, they mentioned the finished product starts at my shoulder (Shenron's head - his tail and arms wrap all the way down to my wrist and originate in an aura burst, incidentally, right behind the Buu seen in the pic), covers my whole arm and ends with Buu at my wrist. The sleeve features Vegeta, SSJ2 Gohan, SSJ Goku, Dende, Goten & Trunks, Kid Buu and Piccolo and the 4-star Dragonball on my elbow (ouch!).

My last appointment is less than 12 hours from right now (yay!), so after I heal up, I'll post pics of the finished products from all the different angles.

Also, the artist who has been working with me on this took a shine to the pictures of Goku and Freeza fighting (page 108-109 of the new American art book) and Cell... looking evil... (page 129), so it probably won't be too long before Cell ends up on the back of my shoulder and the fight pic covers my ribcage, but I'll cross those bridges when I come to them.

Again, if I broke the rules by posting links, I apologize. If not, enjoy! I'm currently attempting to get a day or two off for AWA, so if you're there and you see some weirdo with a giant DBZ tattoo, say hi!

-Jason
DBZ tattoo sleeve finally finished at the 85 hour mark. Pic: http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/nimerjm/JasonTattoo1.jpg

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:50 am

Man that looks fucking awesome.

Would I ever get it on my arm?, hell no!...but the awe and admiration is still there.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 am

nimerjm wrote:Since a few people seemed interested in seeing my tattoos, I'm just going to pop two links on here so you can check them out for yourself.

My first DBZ tattoo (my back) - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... Tattoo.jpg

My left arm sleeve (my wrist) -
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/nimerjm/Buu.jpg
Wow! You have got to be one of the most dedicated fans I have ever seen! Congratulations on you tattoo's, they look awesome (especially the Kid Buu one). I can't wait to see your next tattoos...but if you're worried about posting them in a place that would be off-topic these would fit into the criteria of the Fan Works Explosion thread.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:27 am

The tats are cool and all, but...............You're crazy!!!
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:29 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:but if you're worried about posting them in a place that would be off-topic these would fit into the criteria of the Fan Works Explosion thread.
They were kinda mentioned in the Podcast.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:13 am

@Herms Yeah, "continuity" is a better term. I don't know why I didn't think of that
VegettoEX wrote:[desirecampbell]'s also a wonderful person. And I love him.
*gasp* What would Meri think!

Also, Newsies? Fuck yeah!

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Cool tattoos!
When I turn eighteen this summer, I'm considering a DBZ tattoo on my shoulder.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:59 pm

"I want a tattoo of the Dragon Balls!"

"Sure thing, where?"

"Guess!"
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:07 pm

lol, but no! :roll:
That would be quiet painful...And that is where I stop talking!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:49 pm

How would you decide which dragon balls to tattoo there, anyway? You could only choose two.... :wink:

If I weren't deathly afraid of needles, I might consider getting an anime related tattoo. Maybe even something Dragonball related, since it's my all-time favorite series. But I seriously doubt I'll ever actually do it (maybe on a dare....for lots of money).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

nimerjm

Post by nimerjm » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:27 am

In an earllier post, I said that my DBZ sleeve would be finished today. As with most things, "done" is never really done, especially when it comes to tattoos. I was under the impression that it would finished today, but alas, I've got at least two more 4-hours sessions. Groan.

Anyway, I felt bad not delivering pics of a finished product today, so I took a few of where the piece stands now.

Buu - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... /Buu-1.jpg
Shenron - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... henron.jpg
Gohan - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... 2Gohan.jpg
Piccolo - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... iccolo.jpg
Dende - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... gDende.jpg
Trunks http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... onball.jpg
Vegeta - http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... Vegeta.jpg

Enjoy!
Jason
DBZ tattoo sleeve finally finished at the 85 hour mark. Pic: http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/nimerjm/JasonTattoo1.jpg