Episode #0146 (14 September 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0146 (14 September 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Episode #0146 (download MP3) (rss feed)
64:26; 64 kbps, mono; 29.5 MB

Episode #0146! VegettoEX, Meri, Julian, and Jeff discuss Volume 19 (DBZ Volume 3) of the manga. Death and destruction are all around, and Goku has finally returned to the battlefield. Lots of news, DBZ ABCs, September's releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-forty-six* episodes, now.

That's right. I'm putting up three different podcast episodes on the same day. Whatcha gonna do about it?

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Man, I love the Manga Review of Awesomeness. I've been waiting all week for this one.

Good so far, but I must csee those pictures. :shock:
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Three podcasts to listen to tonight!? Damn it i'm going to be up all night...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:46 pm

I don't think you know how happy you've made me tonight with 3 podcasts Mr.EX, it's really the equivalent to a marriage proposal and a night of passionate sex.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:02 pm

I haven't finished listening yet, but please please PLEASE could you post those character sheets? I want to see Goku and his ax and whatever Vegeta's wearing.

I've been wondering about them forever and no one else in the thread in GD wants to talk about them. TT_TT
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:24 pm

I didn't really mind having the anime episode end with Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan. I'm always a sucker for dramatic cliffhanger endings.

And geez, Mike, three podcasts?! Though I must say that WTF EX was actually pretty entertaining. It's not something that I would closely listen to, but is more the kind of podcast I listen to in the background. Same goes for the daizenshuu EX podcast, though if the topic really interests me, then I'll give it a couple more listen throughs.

You mentioned that you'd add WTF EX to iTunes, but doing a search for it there, it didn't show up. Hope it's up soon, so I can start subscribing!

The issue of Goku only having a family name was also something I always wondered about. I do some cast work for DBZ on TV.com and always find it strange that practically everyone just has one name while all the males in Goku's family have a first and last name.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:46 pm

Where is the link to see the character models that they were talking abuot?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:45 pm

On "Son": After Videl unmasks Gohan as the Great Saiyaman and is blackmailing him to enter the Tenkaichi Budoukai, she notes that the man who was the tournament champion before Mister Satan, Son Goku, has the same surname as Gohan. So that's even more confirmation that "Son" is supposed to be a surnanme.

On pig iron: This video will tell you everything you need to know, just skip to the 5:50 mark.

On male PMS: "Once a month, women act the way men do all the time." - Harlan Ellison
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:09 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:You mentioned that you'd add WTF EX to iTunes, but doing a search for it there, it didn't show up. Hope it's up soon, so I can start subscribing!
Done! It just takes a day for the approval process :D.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =291197342

Ignore that Pokemon clip there in the feed. I didn't realize that having an MP3 linked in the text of a previous normal blog entry would have it show up, but I guess of course it would. Will have to figure that situation out...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:27 pm

I found a link of the character models for 4 of the new characters, but in the podcast they were talking about vegeta and krillin and goku with an ax or something; are those located someother place?

nimerjm

Post by nimerjm » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:58 am

Great podcast again this week!

Again, the manga review is always a highlight. Sure, I've read and watched this stuff a billion times, but its nice to know there are others out there who love and care about this material as much as I do.

Keep up the great work and please post the Ax Goku picture! Could the new special bring the long awaited confrontation between Goku and the guy on the Brawny paper towels? Saiyan vs. American marketing? Two man enter, one man leave.

Again, great job guys!
DBZ tattoo sleeve finally finished at the 85 hour mark. Pic: http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/nimerjm/JasonTattoo1.jpg

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Another great podcast, but I would also like to jump on the band wagon by saying where are these character sheets of Goku with an axe?
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Great three Podcasts Vegetto EX!
-WTF EX is pretty good, I like it as a casual listen.
-A question I have for VGConvos though, are you thinking about hosting a forum for it?

For DBZ, I read along as you guys went through volume three. I must agree on a point there was made. There was a bit too much stuff packed into the volume. Yeah, time goes faster in the Manga. But I find the Anime version panned out a lot better.
But still, the content is great! Tenshinhan's death really does a lot for me on a personal level. The fact that his Ki-Ko-Ho was everything he had. Everything! Yet he fails, it just makes me appreciate DBZ that much more.
Piccolo's death is also really powerful. You guys explain that well enough. I totally agree with what you said about the scene.

To SaiyaJedi's ABC's, the next letter or what is tu or tul?
You won't talk about Tullece...right? He got almost his own episode about two years ago.

Any way, Super Podcast guys!!!!
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:20 pm

Man, this was a really good volume, and it looks like Toriyama's writing is maturing. Here, he actually foreshadows the trip to Namek already. It makes me wonder how much he's planned ahead at this point. Had he thought of Frieza, the Super Saiyan concept, although those aren't for a while still?

Also, it's become my tradition to read the next volume right after I listen to the review, and Volume 20 may possibly be my favorite volume of all of them. I truly hope you guys do a Top 5 panel list for that episode.
Last edited by Ex-Dubbie369 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:To SaiyaJedi's ABC's, the next letter or what is tu or tul?
You won't talk about Tullece...right?
While next week is "ta" (and thus most certainly appropriate for Tullece / ''Taaresu''), I'll be covering something else. You'll just have to wait and see. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:21 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote:To SaiyaJedi's ABC's, the next letter or what is tu or tul?
While next week is "ta" (and thus most certainly appropriate for Tullece / ''Taaresu''), I'll be covering something else. You'll just have to wait and see. :)
Taiyôken? :lol:
Last edited by fps_anth on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:26 am

fps_anth wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:
Taikyoken? :lol:
Excuse my ignorance, but Taikyoken? What does that mean?
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:50 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:
fps_anth wrote:Taikyoken? :lol:
I think that what he meant to spell was "Taioken", which is an attack that was used by Tien first, then Kuririn and then Cell (I think that's all). In the Funi dub it was translated as "Solar Flare", and that is probably what you know it as.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:13 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote:
I think that what he meant to spell was "Taioken", which is an attack that was used by Tenshinhan first, then Kuririn and then Cell (I think that's all). In the Funi dub it was translated as "Solar Flare", and that is probably what you know it as.
I thought he was referencing Tenkyoken for a second there, G Gundam...

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:53 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote:
I think that what he meant to spell was "Taioken", which is an attack that was used by Tenshinhan first, then Kuririn and then Cell (I think that's all). In the Funi dub it was translated as "Solar Flare", and that is probably what you know it as.
Is it "Taioken" or "Taikyoken"? I thought it was Taioken but Wikipedia said the latter...whatever.

It's SOLAR FLARE! :lol: