"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 am

They could just be waiting until DB Kai regular gets close to the end of the Cell Saga before announcing it. Something that should come in December of this year I think.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:17 pm

On the topic of a Kai version of the original Dragon Ball, I would love to see that. But only for the accurate English dub that would come out of it. As it is, the original show is already paced pretty well so the only reason I'd want to see it all Kai-ed up is for a more accurate Funimation version.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:22 pm

thaman91 wrote:On the topic of a Kai version of the original Dragon Ball, I would love to see that. But only for the accurate English dub that would come out of it. As it is, the original show is already paced pretty well so the only reason I'd want to see it all Kai-ed up is for a more accurate Funimation version.
Whoever made the cut I have deserves serious props. It was all spliced together wonderfully. Cut it from 153 down to 82.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:31 pm

thaman91 wrote:On the topic of a Kai version of the original Dragon Ball, I would love to see that. But only for the accurate English dub that would come out of it. As it is, the original show is already paced pretty well so the only reason I'd want to see it all Kai-ed up is for a more accurate Funimation version.
The improved voice acting by the Funimation cast would also be a bonus.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:39 am

Yeah the improved voice acting would also be great. And there would be more consistency with the Z Kai dub. But given the Super-sized elephant in the room, I sadly don't think a Kai version of the original show will be made, at least not anytime in the near future. I think the international territories would rather focus on the brand new show that has brand new storylines instead of a "rehash" of an older show. Personally, I'd love to see both, but I'm just the consumer; I don't know anything about maximizing profit$ for a company lol

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:36 am

Unpopular opinion here: I actually like the Dragon Ball dub for what it's worth going by Voice Acting. While I prefer Monica Rial to Tiffany Volkmer as Bulma, Stephanie Nadolny wasn't bad as Kid Goku. I think Colleen Clinkenbeard suits Kid Gohan better than Goku ever so slightly and vice versa for Nadolny.

While the script could've been more faithful to the Japanese version, it does stick to the story far better than Z had before it and the added humor fit the show. Helps that it could be serious when the time came. Dunno about a Kai-esque recut but I'm cool with 90% of the dub as is.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 am

matt0044 wrote:Unpopular opinion here: I actually like the Dragon Ball dub for what it's worth going by Voice Acting. While I prefer Monica Rial to Tiffany Volkmer as Bulma, Stephanie Nadolny wasn't bad as Kid Goku. I think Colleen Clinkenbeard suits Kid Gohan better than Goku ever so slightly and vice versa for Nadolny.

While the script could've been more faithful to the Japanese version, it does stick to the story far better than Z had before it and the added humor fit the show. Helps that it could be serious when the time came. Dunno about a Kai-esque recut but I'm cool with 90% of the dub as is.
I like the dub acting/voices of the original Dragon Ball as well. But while it is more accurate than the Z dub, my main wish for a Kai version would be accuracy that matches their Z Kai dub. I just like to have the peace of mind that I'm watching the real story play out....without actually watching the Japanese version lol

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:58 am

Indeed. A Z Kai level script while retaining Nadolny for Kid Goku with a little bit of improved acting and I'd be quite happy.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:36 pm

My main qualm with a DB Kai dub is the fact that they most likely wouldn't keep Nadolny. I much prefer having Goku and Gohan sound like different people, and the different voices suit their respective ages as well. So even if a Kai version of the original DB came out, I would still likely favor Non-Kai DB.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:45 pm

matt0044 wrote:Unpopular opinion here: I actually like the Dragon Ball dub for what it's worth going by Voice Acting. While I prefer Monica Rial to Tiffany Volkmer as Bulma, Stephanie Nadolny wasn't bad as Kid Goku. I think Colleen Clinkenbeard suits Kid Gohan better than Goku ever so slightly and vice versa for Nadolny.

I agree I think Dragon Ball dub is fine as is. Z is the one that needed it the most, I actually thought Vollmer was better in DB than Z and her voice suited a more younger and brash Bulma.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:19 pm

See, to me, the DB Dub is just as bad Acting/Script wise. It gets points for using the original music, even before the new DVD sets, but too many jokes and the like got changed.

Like, even tho it was uncut and you can clearly see Kamesen'in being a perv several times from the video alone, they still changed a lot of the dialog to soften his perversion and really anything sexually explicit.

I'd WELCOME any excuse for a DB Redub.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:34 am

I'd be down with a re-dub of DB (or even just partial redub ala Z) to fix the mistakes.
A lot of people hate Nadolny but I personally love her. Sure she could have been better along with everyone else in 1999-2004 but I believe she was awesome in GT and she stayed for Kai, she would have been AMAZING

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:38 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:I'd be down with a re-dub of DB (or even just partial redub ala Z) to fix the mistakes.
A lot of people hate Nadolny but I personally love her. Sure she could have been better along with everyone else in 1999-2004 but I believe she was awesome in GT and she stayed for Kai, she would have been AMAZING
This.

TBH I really despise Kid/Teen Gohan's current voice, but I somehow don't mind it that much (usually).
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Well, Anime Expo is this week so it is safe to say if they don't announce it now then they're def waiting for the Toonami thing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well, Anime Expo is this week so it is safe to say if they don't announce it now then they're def waiting for the Toonami thing.
Even if they are hopefully they'll announce it at least.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well, Anime Expo is this week so it is safe to say if they don't announce it now then they're def waiting for the Toonami thing.
Even if they are hopefully they'll announce it at least.
If they don't announce it then, or Toonami goes back to episode 1, it's safe to say that it won't be on tv,

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:08 am

I wouldn't mind a Kai for Dragon Ball, but I don't ever want Nadolny or Vollmer back. No amount of time will change that. Their voices as those characters make me shudder and even a better script won't help. But DB isn't in as much of a desperate need of a redub. I want the Buu arc. My collection is incomplete without it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 pm

ABED wrote:I wouldn't mind a Kai for Dragon Ball, but I don't ever want Nadolny or Vollmer back. No amount of time will change that. Their voices as those characters make me shudder and even a better script won't help.
Well, that's obviously opinion, and I respect it. But it's ironic because I like those voices... :lol:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 pm

I like Nadolny for Goku, but her re-dub for Gohan just makes me cringe, especially after having heard Clinkenbeard's Gohan throughout Kai.

With better acting, I kind of like Vollmer's voice. While it is true that she makes Bulma sound like a "valley girl", I think this makes for a nice contrast with how smart Bulma actually is.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 pm

thaman91 wrote:I like Nadolny for Goku, but her re-dub for Gohan just makes me cringe, especially after having heard Clinkenbeard's Gohan throughout Kai.

With better acting, I kind of like Vollmer's voice. While it is true that she makes Bulma sound like a "valley girl", I think this makes for a nice contrast with how smart Bulma actually is.
I'm the exact opposite. I don't know why so many like her Goku, even love it, but hate her Gohan. Her Gohan sounds the most natural (we're talking on a relative scale), but her Goku is atrocious, from the raspy voice, the unnatural up and down delivery to Goku's dialog and that laugh that's supposed to sound cute but sounds more like Woody Woodpecker. Vollmer's voice, sounds best coming from an older Bulma, we're talking a GT era Bulma.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.