"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by simtek34 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 pm

2 things. 1: I just realized, how will Funimation have the Japanese language track on the Buu Kai release? Because we know that Japan Broadcasted and released the 99-159 version of Kai on TV and Home Releases. Unless they do the whole thing, but it got cut down later when Fuji TV asked for it to replace Toriko.
2:Would anybody want Funimation to use the Final Chapters episode footage and numbering, but use the Japanese OP and EN songs like Kun-Zen-Zetsu-Go, Galaxy, Oh Yeah, Dear Zarahursta, Juno, and Don't Let Me Down, or do you like Fight it Out and Never Give Up better

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:07 pm

I don't pay much attention to the Kai ending songs, but I'd like to see an English Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go, so long as it isn't awful like the cover of Yeah! Break! (in my current opinion).
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 pm

simtek34 wrote:2 things. 1: I just realized, how will Funimation have the Japanese language track on the Buu Kai release? Because we know that Japan Broadcasted and released the 99-159 version of Kai on TV and Home Releases. Unless they do the whole thing, but it got cut down later when Fuji TV asked for it to replace Toriko.
2:Would anybody want Funimation to use the Final Chapters episode footage and numbering, but use the Japanese OP and EN songs like Kun-Zen-Zetsu-Go, Galaxy, Oh Yeah, Dear Zarahursta, Juno, and Don't Let Me Down, or do you like Fight it Out and Never Give Up better
For your first question. French release contained the Japanese track as well as the French dub track so it appears the Japan broadcast version was indeed cut down.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 pm

simtek34 wrote:I just realized, how will Funimation have the Japanese language track on the Buu Kai release ? Because we know that Japan Broadcasted and released the 99-159 version of Kai on TV and Home Releases. Unless they do the whole thing, but it got cut down later when Fuji TV asked for it to replace Toriko.
It wasn't even made for Japan, when it was announced by the voice actors they said it was being voiced and cut for the international market.

It airing in Japan was probably a last minute decision due to BOG's massive critical and financial success.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
simtek34 wrote:I just realized, how will Funimation have the Japanese language track on the Buu Kai release ? Because we know that Japan Broadcasted and released the 99-159 version of Kai on TV and Home Releases. Unless they do the whole thing, but it got cut down later when Fuji TV asked for it to replace Toriko.
It wasn't even made for Japan, when it was announced by the voice actors they said it was being voiced and cut for the international market.

It airing in Japan was probably a last minute decision due to BOG's massive critical and financial success.
I think it aired due to Fuji TV asking for a replacement at short notice for Toriko, which sadly suffered a rapid drop in ratings and merchandise sales.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:30 pm

I would love to get "Ku Zen Zetsu Go"; I like it much more than "Fight It Out". But, unfortunately, this is probably not a situation where FUNimation gets to create a custom version of the show by picking and choosing elements that it likes. Toei probably just gives them the show and FUNi dubs it, without any negotiations over opening or ending themes.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:42 pm

both are good songs, but i think kuu zen zetsu go fits the boo saga better. "Fight it out" fits...idk, the Red Ribbon saga (Spirit Bomb and Fusion references aside)?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 am

I much prefer "Fight it out" and "Never give up" to the Japanese Broadcast intro/ending, and would actually be pretty disappointed if the latter was used instead. To me "Ku Zen Zetsu Go" is alright, but feels like it would be better suited to a videogame whereas "Fight it out" just feels all around awesome and gets me pumped to watch the show.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:46 pm

We're for sure getting "Fight it out" and "Never give up" because its already been confirmed that Funimation has The Final Chapters and not the Japanese cut.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Any cons coming up or anything? Any sort of guesses as to when something might be said.... at all? I could see them not make a major announcement for it to just continue on in the Toonami run as if nothing happened but surely they would say SOMETHING about its home release. Right? Or do you really think they might just one day throw it out there without any hype behind it?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:02 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:Any cons coming up or anything? Any sort of guesses as to when something might be said.... at all? I could see them not make a major announcement for it to just continue on in the Toonami run as if nothing happened but surely they would say SOMETHING about its home release. Right? Or do you really think they might just one day throw it out there without any hype behind it?
I think they might just air and release it without saying much or anything cause a lot of their cast have already talked about it so nearly everyone already knows it's on the way.

When they started releasing One Piece they'd make a big announcement for each season but now they just release them without saying anything.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:21 pm

Okay so for the original Kai, Funimation announced in February 2010 that it would start being released in May 2010. That's 3 months from announcement to release.

And if we're predicting that The Final Chapters will start airing in December, then 3 months before that would be September. So would it be reasonable to predict some kind of announcement this month? Maybe not anything fancy but perhaps a simple blog update on their site? Maybe a trailer for the first Bluray set? Maybe the official Kai website will be updated to have their episode guide go past 52?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:29 pm

thaman91 wrote:Okay so for the original Kai, Funimation announced in February 2010 that it would start being released in May 2010. That's 3 months from announcement to release.

And if we're predicting that The Final Chapters will start airing in December, then 3 months before that would be September. So would it be reasonable to predict some kind of announcement this month? Maybe not anything fancy but perhaps a simple blog update on their site? Maybe a trailer for the first Bluray set? Maybe the official Kai website will be updated to have their episode guide go past 52?
It's so irrelevant since Super began airing, they may not even bother. I could see it airing after the Cell Games with no major announcement, except for maybe a few commercials on Toonami.
Retired.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:06 pm

If the first we hear about it is on Toonami commercials, then this is really going to give me flashbacks to 1999 when the first I heard about Season 3 of DBZ was with the Toonami Z-day ad.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:08 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
thaman91 wrote:Okay so for the original Kai, Funimation announced in February 2010 that it would start being released in May 2010. That's 3 months from announcement to release.

It's so irrelevant since Super began airing, they may not even bother. I could see it airing after the Cell Games with no major announcement, except for maybe a few commercials on Toonami.
Yeah, I see the same happening. They have done this in the past, they never announced they acquired the new Fairy Tail series for example and released it like normal to everyone's unexpected surprise. Super though no doubt they're gonna make a big deal over that once they got it or are allowed to talk about it (I am about 70% sure they already have it).

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Yeah, I see the same happening. They have done this in the past, they never announced they acquired the new Fairy Tail series for example and released it like normal to everyone's unexpected surprise. Super though no doubt they're gonna make a big deal over that once they got it or are allowed to talk about it (I am about 70% sure they already have it).
There have been a few clues from the VA's. I'd go a step further and say that they definitely have it.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:26 pm

aaaaaaand FUNi's final solicitation for the year is out and no Kai on physical media. That leaves it to air on Toonami Dec 17th. But even that ain't guaranteed.

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:10 pm

I wonder if this is intentional so that once they are done airing the Buu arc of Kai they can just go right into super to keep fan interest in and not have time in between.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:aaaaaaand FUNi's final solicitation for the year is out and no Kai on physical media. That leaves it to air on Toonami Dec 17th. But even that ain't guaranteed.
I'd say I'm mad. And I am. But I'm not surprised by anything anymore. Though I didn't see their December release schedule anywhere though I could be blind/stupid. *sigh* Lookin like 2017 release after all. So utterly ridiculous.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:28 pm

Is this gonna turn out to be like the One Piece situation? I really hope not.