Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Arian wrote:Exactly. And nothing is stopping this thing from coming out if someone wants it so how can you just close the book on it completely?
Because there's no incentive on the part of the broadcasters to air this version. If that changes, the likelihood of this dub airing will increase. Right now, it's practically 0%, and there's no reason to think that will change in the near future.
I'm still not convinced there's no incentive for broadcasters to air this dub, even now. People say Kai is dead because Super is a thing, but in reality if Super was to air in Canada the logical choice would be to air Kai first so new viewers can be caught up with what happens before Beerus, and the Ocean dub would be ideal as it could help a network fill their required quota for Canadian content. Its also not unheard of for different English dubs of Dragon Ball to be airing in Canada and for both to do well.
Not only that, but because of how little respect Canadian networks seem to have for anime, if they do air it they'll 100% definitely go for the version that's considered Canadian content; they wouldn't want to waste non-Canadian airtime on it.

So Ocean Kai is not dead, it's just in limbo at the moment. Might air in a few months, might air in a few years, might never even air. Point is, we don't know. It's very easy to interpret a lack of positive info as a negative, but in reality, we're still in the neutral position of "It hasn't aired yet, it still could air, and probably will if Kai hits Canada, but we don't know." Which is the same position we've been in since this started.

I swear, the next person to say Ocean Kai isn't going to air is going to get a big 'ol can of whoop-ass opened on them.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Because there's no incentive on the part of the broadcasters to air this version. If that changes, the likelihood of this dub airing will increase. Right now, it's practically 0%, and there's no reason to think that will change in the near future.
I'm still not convinced there's no incentive for broadcasters to air this dub, even now. People say Kai is dead because Super is a thing, but in reality if Super was to air in Canada the logical choice would be to air Kai first so new viewers can be caught up with what happens before Beerus, and the Ocean dub would be ideal as it could help a network fill their required quota for Canadian content. Its also not unheard of for different English dubs of Dragon Ball to be airing in Canada and for both to do well.
Not only that, but because of how little respect Canadian networks seem to have for anime, if they do air it they'll 100% definitely go for the version that's considered Canadian content; they wouldn't want to waste non-Canadian airtime on it.

So Ocean Kai is not dead, it's just in limbo at the moment. Might air in a few months, might air in a few years, might never even air. Point is, we don't know. It's very easy to interpret a lack of positive info as a negative, but in reality, we're still in the neutral position of "It hasn't aired yet, it still could air, and probably will if Kai hits Canada, but we don't know." Which is the same position we've been in since this started.

I swear, the next person to say Ocean Kai isn't going to air is going to get a big 'ol can of whoop-ass opened on them.
Ocean Kai isn't going to air.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am

So it appears that Brad Swaile will be a guest at Geek.Kon which I believe is located in Middleton, Wisconsin (August 25-27).

http://www.geekkon.net/guests/

If anyone plans on going, I suppose you could try asking something in relation to this dub. Obviously not "when will it be out" but more along the lines of; were you a part of the cast?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 pm

NitroEX wrote:So it appears that Brad Swaile will be a guest at Geek.Kon which I believe is located in Middleton, Wisconsin (August 25-27).

http://www.geekkon.net/guests/

If anyone plans on going, I suppose you could try asking something in relation to this dub. Obviously not "when will it be out" but more along the lines of; were you a part of the cast?
Forget Brad Swalie, Terry Bruge-Hiplo is going to be there! Oh, the things I would love to know from him. :D

But I do wish this con was somewhere more populated than Wisconsin. I don't know anybody there, so I'm not gonna be able to even vicariously ask Brad if he was in the Kai dub.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:26 am

So, where are we at now?

I've renovated a certain Facebook page to reflect putting Ocean Kai on the air. It currently has over 3,000 likes.

https://www.facebook.com/kaiforcanada

In addition to this, I'm going to be emailing Carole Bonneau, the VP of Programming at Teletoon in an attempt to get her to see our side of things as well show her how well Kai has done across the board, ratings-wise.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding what I should mention to her, feel free to leave a reply.

And yes, I've considered all of the aspects in which this couldn't work, but hey, I'm trying.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Arian wrote:And yes, I've considered all of the aspects in which this couldn't work, but hey, I'm trying.
No judgement here. One of my favorite quotes is from the producer of the first few Superman movies, Ilya Salkind, when they asked him about how he was going to talk audiences into believing that a man could fly. I think it's relevant here:

"Everybody says 'it can't be done,' until it is."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 am

Arian wrote:So, where are we at now?

I've renovated a certain Facebook page to reflect putting Ocean Kai on the air. It currently has over 3,000 likes.

https://www.facebook.com/kaiforcanada

In addition to this, I'm going to be emailing Carole Bonneau, the VP of Programming at Teletoon in an attempt to get her to see our side of things as well show her how well Kai has done across the board, ratings-wise.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding what I should mention to her, feel free to leave a reply.

And yes, I've considered all of the aspects in which this couldn't work, but hey, I'm trying.
An e-mail sounds good to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:51 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I think this describes Dragon Ball's revival and Super's existence as a whole.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Aswell as Dragon Ball's return to the English-speaking world in 1999, the un-cancellation of Doctor Who, the very existence of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and about a billion and one other things.

The thing is, people get so negative about this stuff, but there's nothing to lose from trying. So why do they even bother being negative about it?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Aswell as Dragon Ball's return to the English-speaking world in 1999, the un-cancellation of Doctor Who, the very existence of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and about a billion and one other things.

The thing is, people get so negative about this stuff, but there's nothing to lose from trying. So why do they even bother being negative about it?
Some people think they'll get what they want if they're negative.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Super is actually an interesting case in this discussion. People might forget now that for years after 1997 no one thought we would ever see a new Dragon Ball series and eventually it happened. I still think its unlikely at this point we will see this dub (and maybe thats a good way to feel) as time passes, the potential hype dwindles and the Ocean cast becomes more a thing of the distant past (due to Funimation's redubbing and the relative obscurity of Saban era home releases) but sometimes you can just never say never.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu May 18, 2017 7:22 pm

I asked a question about the Ocean Kai dub on here, but in case any of y'all wanna take a stab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58naW7y15Y

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Question posted:D
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed May 31, 2017 7:20 pm

So YTV now has the gall to declare that they miss Dragon Ball Z, even though they absolutely refused to put Kai on the air, even before the rebrand of 2014.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 31, 2017 7:41 pm

Arian wrote:So YTV now has the gall to declare that they miss Dragon Ball Z, even though they absolutely refused to put Kai on the air, even before the rebrand of 2014.

Wow...I don't know what to say about this...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Ok where the heck is that petition? I'm going to sign!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ok where the heck is that petition? I'm going to sign!
Right here: https://www.change.org/p/michelle-mctea ... -in-canada

But be sure to like the Facebook page as well, it's much stronger: https://www.facebook.com/kaiforcanada

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:19 am

Arian wrote:So YTV now has the gall to declare that they miss Dragon Ball Z, even though they absolutely refused to put Kai on the air, even before the rebrand of 2014.

I really want to be optimistic about this, but I'm still feeling actions speak louder than words with regards to the Ocean dub of Kai, and words have been all we've had for 7 years.

I mean, if YTV miss Dragon Ball what's stopping them from accepting the offer from the producers of this dub and getting it on the air? Unless it's been written off as a tax loss, like NitroEx suggested, I'm sure the producers are still waiting for them to buy it.

It's not too late. If they air Kai it will give newer audiences a better jumping on platform for whenever Super airs in Canada, in addition to not worrying about airtime being taken up by a show not considered "Canadian content".
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Person controlling the social media feeds =/= head of programming
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Person controlling the social media feeds =/= head of programming
That's not the point. Whoever is on the social media represents the company, and either way, I find what they said insulting.