Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Funimation most likely owns the North American broadcast rights to Dragon Ball, Z, GT and Kai, yet here we are.

That said, I don't really see any chance of an Ocean dub of Super being a thing. We already have two North American English dubs of that show. It'd be comical to have a third. I wish the Toonami Asia dub was done by Ocean, but I guess Turner didn't want to spend the cash.
FUNi own the dubbing, broadcasting, & distribution rights for America. Canada's different. I'm pretty sure most people in Canada have imported Kai who want it & have also imported the DVDs of the other shows & are importing the Super releases as they come out. Mexico also has a studio of their own dubbing the shows, though I don't know what's happening there, since apparently FUNi controls the Spanish rights for other shows that they refuse to license out to other companies for Spanish dubs & distribution.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Funimation owns the rights for North America, not just the US. Mexico is sometimes sold separately, but English Canada is almost never. All of Funimation's Dragon Ball home video releases have been officially available for sale in this country.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Just discovered the Inter Pacific Productions Inc address is just down the street from the Ocean Media Inc. Wonder if that's just the name they go by now and they've moved to another office in the same area.

Would make sense as IPP only have a twitter account but also a Facebook page which they have updated infrequently throughout the year. In addition to IPP being listed in Michael Dobson's resume.

I wrote a letter to Diana Gage and just suspected there was no reply because nothing could be said. Maybe I just sent it to the old address.

We've already made ms. Shulman aware of the dub - maybe we shouldn't make IPP (Ocean) aware of Wow!'s new channel and interest.

I've tweeted them, but will it be enough?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 pm

I haven't been able to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Inter Pacific Productions, Ocean and Advantage VIdeo are the same business operating under different companies. Same with Blue Water (which is an Ocean splinter) and Chinook Animation.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I haven't been able to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Inter Pacific Productions, Ocean and Advantage VIdeo are the same business operating under different companies. Same with Blue Water (which is an Ocean splinter) and Chinook Animation.
That makes a hell of a lot of sense. Obviously there will be confidentiality but I think we should reach out to IPP specifically.

For the longest time I was looking at Ocean Media and it was confusing me. There are actually one or two pictures of the place & the odd photo online, shared by contracted actors.

And I was like, surely they aren't small enough that their recording studios share a building with their creatives/ admin/ legal etc. Everything we know just tell some us it's a recording space. Actors would be in and out all the time disrupting others.

Maybe it was the case at one time that they did everything through that one name. But Hingis change.

A quick search for IPP on Canadian yellow pages gave me:

2nd Ave W
Vancouver British Columbia V6J 1H6
Canada

No#: (604) 734-5000

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 am

We're kind of veering off here (do you plan on snail mailing Ocean???), but the building for lease on the right is 1778 2nd Ave W:
Ocean is literally next door.

Google Street View's archives tell me 1778 has been up for lease for a few years now. Prior to that, it was the office for an adjoining used car lot. Inter Pacific Productions was probably never a separate building, unless they swapped locations pre-2007 (oldest Street View archive) and none of the online contact listings were updated.

Advantage Video does seem to be in a different part of Vancouver, but a former employee lists the company as Ocean. Different office, same company.

Blue Water and Chinook Animation are in the same business park in Calgary, though IIRC BW now has a second studio in Edmonton.

I guess all of these splinters is why they were called "The Ocean Group [of companies]."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:47 am

This is taking a weird turn...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 am

:crazy: Oi, what a headache! I'm sorry I started looking into this now.

I did snail mail them, just took a chance and it didn't didn't work out.

I don't see how it's a weird turn. The more we know the better, like, there's a petition. Helps to know who to send it to and where to send it. The alternative seems to be going in circles about possible ownership of the rights over and over again.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:44 am

If it helps, Brent Miller recorded a fairly recent video of himself going into Ocean studios (from September 2016) and it's definitely the same blue building pictured in Super Saiyan Prime's post.

No idea where IPP are located.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:06 am

It's cool man, I don't think I'll be able to put the pieces together anymore :/ I guess all we can do for now is wait again.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm

So, potentially fun question for everyone: Hypothetically, if you could watch one episode of Ocean Kai, which one would it be, and why?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So, potentially fun question for everyone: Hypothetically, if you could watch one episode of Ocean Kai, which one would it be, and why?
I'd probably want to watch the episode where Goku and Gohan finish training in the Room of Spirit and Time because I feel like there's a lot of cast members' voices that I'd get to hear. Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Kurilin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Roshi, Karin, Cell, etc. That's the primary reason for it. I would say something like watching Goku turn Super Saiyan, but really, I'd be interested to hear all of the different voices. I know what the scenes look like, I'd watch Ocean Kai for the audio, not video (if that makes any sense).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:This is the Twitter account for Ocean's casting agency. They haven't regularly used it since April, but it's basically the company's only real online presence. If someone wants to try to get them aware of Wow!, go ahead.
I think this is a task for Robo4900 :)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Sure. Sent one. Dunno if it'll amount to anything, but who knows, I guess.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So, potentially fun question for everyone: Hypothetically, if you could watch one episode of Ocean Kai, which one would it be, and why?
The episode where Vegeta dies on Planet Namek.

Generally speaking, the episodes of this dub that I'm most excited to see are the episodes for which there is no Ocean/Westwood counterpart. In addition, I've longed to hear what Brian Drummond could do with Vegeta if he were given properly-adapted scripts and good direction. To top it off, in that particular episode, we'd get to hear a bit of an emotional range for Goku, and we'd also get to hear Freeza, as well as small snippets of Gohan, Kuririn, and Piccolo.

So, if there are any hackers out there or insiders who are willing to leak only one episode, please leak that one. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
The episode where Vegeta dies on Planet Namek.

Generally speaking, the episodes of this dub that I'm most excited to see are the episodes for which there is no Ocean/Westwood counterpart. In addition, I've longed to hear what Brian Drummond could do with Vegeta if he were given properly-adapted scripts and good direction. To top it off, in that particular episode, we'd get to hear a bit of an emotional range for Goku, and we'd also get to hear Freeza, as well as small snippets of Gohan, Kuririn, and Piccolo.

So, if there are any hackers out there or insiders who are willing to leak only one episode, please leak that one. :lol:
I want to see this one too, but yeah, the fact we've never had an Ocean Freeza saga to date will make that portion of the series alone worth the wait (if this damn thing ever comes out), especially if this dub was as well directed as Funi Kai.

Episode 53 would be nice too, if only to see how Richard Ian Cox handles serious Goku and if Lee Tockar can rival Ayres Freeza's "I am emperor of the universe" speech.

I seriously hope Wow will get this dub, no doubt they won't regret it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:22 pm

In case Wow doesn't work out:
TORONTO -- DHX Television has appointed industry veteran Gary Finnegan VP of programming strategy.

Finnegan will provide direction and guidance on DHX Television’s core business of creating and acquiring content that will be universally popular and drive viewer engagement. He will be a key member of the senior management team, reporting to senior VP and GM Joe Tedesco.

He joins DHX from Turner International, where he held various senior supervisory roles spanning programming, scheduling, acquisitions and content development across Turner’s EMEA and Asia kids’ business.

His most recent role oversaw content strategy for Turner APAC’s portfolio of pan-regional kids’ channels -- Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Toonami and POGO -- across traditional and emerging media platforms.

“I’m very excited to be joining the team behind Canada’s most well-loved children’s network,” said Finnegan. “Already, DHX Television offers its audience quality, kids’ and family programming, and I’m looking forward to contributing to the division’s future programming strategy, as well as the overall success of DHX Media.”

“With many years of experience in the entertainment industry, Gary brings extensive knowledge and expertise of family entertainment to the television team,” said Tedesco. “DHX Television is fortunate to add Gary’s vision and leadership to its existing projects as well as to its future endeavours.”

Finnegan will be based out of the company’s Toronto office.
https://www.awn.com/news/finnegan-overs ... g-strategy

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:26 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:In case Wow doesn't work out:
TORONTO -- DHX Television has appointed industry veteran Gary Finnegan VP of programming strategy.

Finnegan will provide direction and guidance on DHX Television’s core business of creating and acquiring content that will be universally popular and drive viewer engagement. He will be a key member of the senior management team, reporting to senior VP and GM Joe Tedesco.

He joins DHX from Turner International, where he held various senior supervisory roles spanning programming, scheduling, acquisitions and content development across Turner’s EMEA and Asia kids’ business.

His most recent role oversaw content strategy for Turner APAC’s portfolio of pan-regional kids’ channels -- Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Toonami and POGO -- across traditional and emerging media platforms.

“I’m very excited to be joining the team behind Canada’s most well-loved children’s network,” said Finnegan. “Already, DHX Television offers its audience quality, kids’ and family programming, and I’m looking forward to contributing to the division’s future programming strategy, as well as the overall success of DHX Media.”

“With many years of experience in the entertainment industry, Gary brings extensive knowledge and expertise of family entertainment to the television team,” said Tedesco. “DHX Television is fortunate to add Gary’s vision and leadership to its existing projects as well as to its future endeavours.”

Finnegan will be based out of the company’s Toronto office.
https://www.awn.com/news/finnegan-overs ... g-strategy
Will he be able to get toonami in Canada?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 am

Godgoku95 wrote:Will he be able to get toonami in Canada?
No, Corus Entertainment (YTV, Teletoon, CN Canada, etc.) owns the exclusive rights to the Cartoon Network brands in Canada.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:59 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Godgoku95 wrote:Will he be able to get toonami in Canada?
No, Corus Entertainment (YTV, Teletoon, CN Canada, etc.) owns the exclusive rights to the Cartoon Network brands in Canada.
Doesn't DHX Media just do Treehouse?
Edit: found out DHX just owns family, family chrgd and family jr