Do you like Kikuchi Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

superfan2024
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you like Kikuchi Kai?

Postby superfan2024 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The usage of Kikuchi's score in Kai was criminal. Toei had so much to work with given his extensive library of music and they unnecessarily hindered themselves by using the same 5-6 track for 90% of the show and placing them in scenes that weren't appropriate for usage.

As I understand it, the way they assembled the score was by looking at each Yamamoto track, and replacing all uses of it with a Kikuchi track that sounds close enough to it. That's why it's so repetitive and often poorly-placed.

What kind of thinking is that? Just watch the original DBZ anime and place the music used in those scenes for the corresponding scenes in Kai. Is that so hard?

Kinda. The real reason for the lack of variety for the tracks was because Toei somehow only had access to use the Saiyan Arc music, and the music from DBZ movies 6-9, and that was about it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Postby Robo4900 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:What kind of thinking is that? Just watch the original DBZ anime and place the music used in those scenes for the corresponding scenes in Kai. Is that so hard?

Hard? No.
Time-consuming, tedious, and thus fairly expensive? Yes.
Too expensive for the cheap buggers at Toei? Hell yes.

superfan2024 wrote:Kinda. The real reason for the lack of variety for the tracks was because Toei somehow only had access to use the Saiyan Arc music, and the music from DBZ movies 6-9, and that was about it.

Well, more accurately they wanted to only use music they could easily get access to that was in stereo. Therefore, they only had music that had been released on CDs. And not all of them, at that.
Alex Steacy wrote:We're not on this asteroid for very long; let's try to be nice to one another.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Postby Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:What kind of thinking is that? Just watch the original DBZ anime and place the music used in those scenes for the corresponding scenes in Kai. Is that so hard?

Hard? No.

Ah. So it was all about cutting corners. And it would only get worse when they tackled the Majin Boo arc...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Postby Robo4900 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

Hard? No.

Ah. So it was all about cutting corners. And it would only get worse when they tackled the Majin Boo arc...

Well, I'd say TFC's crap scoring was less about cutting corners, more about poor artist choice.

I'm sure Sumitomo would be a great composer for other shows. For Dragon Ball? You might aswell be using the soundtrack of Invader Zim, Man Of Steel, or Death Note.
Alex Steacy wrote:We're not on this asteroid for very long; let's try to be nice to one another.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Postby Fizzer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:11 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The usage of Kikuchi's score in Kai was criminal. Toei had so much to work with given his extensive library of music and they unnecessarily hindered themselves by using the same 5-6 track for 90% of the show and placing them in scenes that weren't appropriate for usage.

As I understand it, the way they assembled the score was by looking at each Yamamoto track, and replacing all uses of it with a Kikuchi track that sounds close enough to it. That's why it's so repetitive and often poorly-placed.

What kind of thinking is that? Just watch the original DBZ anime and place the music used in those scenes for the corresponding scenes in Kai. Is that so hard?

That's exactly how they should have done it. I don't really see the significance of only using music in stereo when it hinders the track choice that much (I'm sure the same Kikuchi pieces must have been used as replacements for multiple Yamamoto pieces) and they should have had in mind that what they were creating was the final, "true" product, the one that would be on the home releases, broadcast around the world, and come to represent what Kai is. I can't believe nobody cared enough to not make their final product a rush job.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Postby Robo4900 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:07 am

Fizzer wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:As I understand it, the way they assembled the score was by looking at each Yamamoto track, and replacing all uses of it with a Kikuchi track that sounds close enough to it. That's why it's so repetitive and often poorly-placed.

That's exactly how they should have done it. I don't really see the significance of only using music in stereo when it hinders the track choice that much (I'm sure the same Kikuchi pieces must have been used as replacements for multiple Yamamoto pieces) and they should have had in mind that what they were creating was the final, "true" product, the one that would be on the home releases, broadcast around the world, and come to represent what Kai is. I can't believe nobody cared enough to not make their final product a rush job.

In fairness, every single Kikuchi track was recorded in stereo, it's just a case of Toei not necessarily having stereo masters easily to hand.

JohnnyCashKami
Regular

Postby JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 am

Robo4900 wrote:Well, more accurately they wanted to only use music they could easily get access to that was in stereo. Therefore, they only had music that had been released on CDs. And not all of them, at that.

That's what I was gonna say. The whole "place in similar fashion as Yamamoto's BGM" was just a bit too weird.

Robo4900 wrote:Well, I'd say TFC's crap scoring was less about cutting corners, more about poor artist choice.

I'm sure Sumitomo would be a great composer for other shows. For Dragon Ball? You might aswell be using the soundtrack of Invader Zim, Man of Steel, or Death Note.

TFC's soundtrack is kinda shitty but at the same time it's not that bad and it works, as video game music and so on but DB? Pass on that.

"Sumitomo a great composer" he certainly has improved his artistic music style from TFC, BoG, RF and to the more recent Super but it still doesn't even compete with the classic Dragon Ball composers. At best, Sumitomo is almost on the same level as Hiroshi Takaki and I'd still say Takaki is a far better composer than Sumitomo will ever be.

Robo4900 wrote:In fairness, every single Kikuchi track was recorded in stereo, it's just a case of Toei not necessarily having stereo masters easily to hand.

There's the synthesized Kikuchi BGMs from the video games but reckon TOEI doesn't own the rights to it. It would have been awesome if they had used those.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Eh, I'll take the Kikuchi-Kai mix over a replacement soundtrack, but I can't say I'm that fond of it...and that surprised me! When I first heard that Howard Shore's Yamamoto's music would be replaced with Kikuchi's, I was actually very excited. I loved Kikuchi's score in DBZ, I was excited to hear it in high-fidelity, and I reveled in the delectable irony of the fact that that score would be heard on the 4Kids time block (of all places)!

...And then I actually heard the first Kikuchi-Kai episode.

The Kikuchi-Kai mix is, in my opinion, a masterclass in how placement of music has just as much of an impact on the music's likeability as the quality of the music itself. Unfortunately, I don't mean that in a good way. I thought "Yamamoto's" score, plagiarized though it was, sounded good and always used tunes that fit the mood. It was repetitive music, but repetitive music that at least fit the mood. With the Kikuchi-Kai mix, they were only able to get access to a few tracks, many of which simply didn't fit the mood. So now we had repetitive music all over again, but this time, it was repetitive music that didn't even fit the mood.

It was a real let-down, in other words...it's one of those things that sounded awesome on paper, but was shockingly sub-par in execution.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
Advanced Regular

Postby Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Eh, I'll take the Kikuchi-Kai mix over a replacement soundtrack

What if Ocean Kai's score ends up having better placement?
Looking for Manga UK Battle of Gods Blu-Ray with slipcover. Please message me if willing to sell :)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Eh, I'll take the Kikuchi-Kai mix over a replacement soundtrack

What if Ocean Kai's score ends up having better placement?

Well, sure, that's theoretically possible, and I'm all for keeping an open mind. My confidence in that isn't too high, though. And hey, if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be wrong! Just not holding out a lot of hope, that's all. *shrug*

Thing is, I can't really think of too many replacement scores that I loved. A few here and there that were tolerable, sure, but to date, there are only two replacement scores that I begrudgingly admit were actually very, very good:

1) Cyber City Oedo
2) Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie

....Aaaaand that's about it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Postby SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:"Bruce Faulconer" (Faulconer Productions) and "Shuki Levy" (Ron Wasserman) were both replacement soundtracks used for Dragon Ball Z, Shunsuke Kikuchi is the one who made the original soundtrack for Dragon Ball & Z. Akihito Tokunaga for Dragon Ball GT while FUNi hired Mark Menza to make an "edgy" score for GT. Kenji Yamamoto for Dragon Ball Kai.

I know.

Return to “Dragon Ball Kai”