Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ranmarotto

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discuss

Post by Ranmarotto » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:I still dislike Colleen as #18.
Colleen as in Clickenberg (forgive me if I spelled that wrong), the person who voices the new Gohan?
PuppetDoctor wrote:But I am loving Chuck Huber as #17.
I always liked his rendition of the character. It seems to have improved a bit as well, my only complaint is that it was unmistakeably the same exact voice he uses for Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho in the original Z. At least he seems to have changed it somewhat.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:39 am

Ranmarotto wrote:I always liked his rendition of the character. It seems to have improved a bit as well, my only complaint is that it was unmistakeably the same exact voice he uses for Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho in the original Z. At least he seems to have changed it somewhat.
Don't fix what isn't broken. Something along those lines?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 am

Ranmarotto wrote:
Colleen as in Clickenberg (forgive me if I spelled that wrong), the person who voices the new Gohan?

I always liked his rendition of the character. It seems to have improved a bit as well, my only complaint is that it was unmistakeably the same exact voice he uses for Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho in the original Z. At least he seems to have changed it somewhat.
Yes, Collen Clickenbeard and yes the person who plays the new voice of Gohan.

I have never watched anything from Yu Yu Hakusho except a few episodes on DVD back in 2004 or so which I rented from Blockbuster, and those were probably watched in Japanese so I don't know Hei's English dub voice. Therefore, I never had a problem with Chuck Huber's #17 but I understand your point.

I watched a few episodes of One Piece with the Funimation dub and I hate that Chris Sabat uses the same voice he uses for Zoro with Piccolo. I have gotten used to the new voice of Piccolo but at first it drove me nuts because it was identical to Zoro.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:15 am

They should have hired a different voice actor for Piccolo then. If stuff like that happens use a new actor. Simple but then I bet Sabat doesn't want to give up that role for somebody more "fitting"?

Scott McNeil's phone line is probably not that busy :lol:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:31 am

Attitudefan wrote:They should have hired a different voice actor for Piccolo then. If stuff like that happens use a new actor. Simple but then I bet Sabat doesn't want to give up that role for somebody more "fitting"?

I really don't like Scott McNeil's Piccolo better than Sabat's Kai Piccolo, but I'm convinced I'm the only one here who thinks that. It's a bit over the top for my taste.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:43 am

I don't see what's so outrageous about the same actor using similar voices in two different shows, considering the Japanese cast has actors like Daisuke Gouri and Ryusei Nakao who come into shows, do "the voice" with mild variations, and then get paid.

I'm not attacking actors like Gouri and Nakao at all when I say that. They're great. But it's kind of silly to complain about Sabat doing essentially the same voice in two different shows if you don't have a problem with these guys doing essentially the same voice not only in several different shows, but for several different characters in Dragon Ball as well.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:12 am

Japanese actors get away with it because they are goddamn good at acting, you don't think about the voice at all. You just watch the show in awe.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:29 am

Attitudefan wrote:Japanese actors get away with it because they are goddamn good at acting, you don't think about the voice at all. You just watch the show in awe.
...*facepalm* No. If you're really listening, you'll easily notice just the same with Japanese voice actors as with North American voice actors. There is not some cultural divide in talent that says North American VAs<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Japanese VAs.

There are a number of really good voice actors out in America, even ones dubbing anime. There aren't many companies left, but the few that do remain have decent sized actor pools. And whether it's Funimation, Viz, Ocean, or some other company I'm blanking on, them being on this continent doesn't affect their acting or the performances they give. Hell, even in Funi's early history, they occasionally had a good dub, like Yu Yu Hakusho (which I just re-bought the first "season" on Blu Ray. Nice, cleaned up audio, HD video without weird cropping or editing thus far).

Sometimes, a similar voice works for another character, sometimes, it doesn't (and acting does affect that), but it's not an exclusive Japanese club, I can assure you. One instance where a similar voice actually worked was when Ryusei Nakao voiced a parody of Freeza in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (named Purupu, a very cat-like Freeza in a hover chair, with two henchmen carrying Dragon Balls...yet defeated in One Chapter/One Episode by One Attack! *thankfully*). It worked for parody.

In the case for Sabat, he actually has quite a range, and has gone through quite a bit of it, so occasionally, we will see a similar voice. But, with the right direction, he usually makes each one their own. Not always, as he does so many roles, it's ridiculous. I guess that's partially why he backed off on a few DB roles.

Both groups have instances of both situations.

And I prefer Sabat as Piccolo, because, generally, it is not far off from his own voice, minus a bit of gruff. A much better voice in recent years, thanks to Kai. It sounds much more natural than McNeil's "Demon" voice, which really doesn't work on someone who joins the good side (though, it'd probably work fine for Daimao, to differentiate them).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Cacarot

Post by Cacarot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Japanese actors get away with it because they are goddamn good at acting, you don't think about the voice at all. You just watch the show in awe.
Honestly one of the most biased and illogical remarks I've ever heard.

Btw, everything Mewzard said is true. Even if you dont like the voices in the z dub there are plenty of animated shows/movies made here with exemplary acting.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Even if you dont like the voices in the z dub there are plenty of animated shows/movies made here with exemplary acting.
Yeah, like Avatar: The Last Airbender! Even going through Season 1, I can't remember a single voice that I didn't like, or at least think suited the character.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Attitudefan wrote:They should have hired a different voice actor for Piccolo then. If stuff like that happens use a new actor. Simple but then I bet Sabat doesn't want to give up that role for somebody more "fitting"?

Chris Sabat said at Anime USA last year that if he found some way to make it possible, he would have casted Scott McNeil to play Piccolo in the new dub. Turns out Sabat has as much respect (if not more) for Scott McNeil's Piccolo as many on this forum do.

Of course it's sort of expensive to fly someone all the way out from Vancouver to Dallas for such a significant role in a show....
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Cacarot wrote:
Honestly one of the most biased and illogical remarks I've ever heard.

Btw, everything Mewzard said is true. Even if you dont like the voices in the z dub there are plenty of animated shows/movies made here with exemplary acting.
I was being sarcastic! Jeez, I wasn't being serious in the least... :wink: but I had a little lol moment (not to sound douchery or nothing...)

Of course it isn't a Japanese only thing or American VA's are always worse. Boy oh boy... I always watch Dragonball in English. :mrgreen:

Anyways, I really don't see the big deal with how Trunks sounds or Ten. I would prefer if Piccolo didn't sound so "natural", like human. I enjoyed his performance much better in Dragonball than Kai. I think it would have sounded better that way.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm

I like both Piccolos equally, however I like McNeil's slightly more because his voice has this demonic tone to it whenever he's speaking.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Brakus wrote:

Chris Sabat said at Anime USA last year that if he found some way to make it possible, he would have casted Scott McNeil to play Piccolo in the new dub. Turns out Sabat has as much respect (if not more) for Scott McNeil's Piccolo as many on this forum do.

Of course it's sort of expensive to fly someone all the way out from Vancouver to Dallas for such a significant role in a show....
Win.
thedarkuniter wrote:I like both Piccolos equally, however I like McNeil's slightly more because his voice has this demonic tone to it whenever he's speaking.
Which is great until the Buu arc; McNeil seemed incapable of nailing the "Uncle Piccolo" tone, it's not the thing he got the role for. Granted, we have the bad direction of the later Ocean dub to thank for that.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:I like both Piccolos equally, however I like McNeil's slightly more because his voice has this demonic tone to it whenever he's speaking.
That's why I like it a lot too.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:11 pm

I think McNeil would make a better Super Buu actually...

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

batistabus wrote:I think McNeil would make a better Super Buu actually...
I'd actually like to see what it sounds like

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, I emailed Funi about if they'd replace the soundtrack in parts 1-4, here's what they said:
I wrote:I and some others have noticed that with the recent release, Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 5, the music composed by Kenji Yamamoto has been replaced with the music from Dragon Ball Z, composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi. My question is, will you be replacing Kai parts 1-4 with Shunsuke Kikuchi's music aswell? I am interested in buying these sets but I might put off buying them for now if there is an inconsistency in the music.
Funimation wrote:We will not be re-authoring parts 1 through 4 for the foreseeable future. The current version of the first four parts will stay ‘as is’ for the time being. I cannot provide further information on this topic.
So, I guess Kikuchi will not appear in the early parts of the series until later rereleases. And, I'm now able to buy the earlier sets without having to worry about reissues.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:49 pm

I was watching the latest dubbed episode of Dragon Ball Kai Episode 68 and it seemed the dub was going good and the music placement was well until this line that made me stop and say "WHAT?!"

When Trunks sees the shell that Cell left he says this:

"Well whatever it is it smells like cheese left in the sun."

I hope that is a TV line only.

Christopher Sabat's Kami sounded off again this episode but he (Kami) is gone now so that doesn't matter anymore, and Cell speaks next episode YAY (looking forward to Daemon Clark)!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:05 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:I was watching the latest dubbed episode of Dragon Ball Kai Episode 68 and it seemed the dub was going good and the music placement was well until this line that made me stop and say "WHAT?!"

When Trunks sees the shell that Cell left he says this:

"Well whatever it is it smells like cheese left in the sun."

I hope that is a TV line only...
Yea, I thought it was a little weird as well. Maybe Trunks says something like "It smells like something died in here" on the home release. But if not - hey, it's no so bad. Why can't it smell like cheese left in the sun?