Re-animated Scene Archive: 19-26 Added! (Image Heavy)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tsukento
I Live Here

Re: Re-animated Scene Archive: 023 Added! (Image Heavy)

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:06 pm

bkev wrote:Better forgetting to shade than doing so poor on it!
This shot above epitomizes why I think Kai's a poor rush job... the shading is just so horrible. It lacks... I want to use subtlety but I'm not sure if that
I think it just has more to do with the fact that there's something about the digital style that doesn't come out as it did by hand.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 pm

I like the way the shot with Gohan, Kurilin, and Dende in front of the cave. The contrast between he redrawn characters and the old background looks good. :D

Sadly it doesn't work so well for the shot below it... :(
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 pm

bkev wrote:Better forgetting to shade than doing so poor on it!
This shot above epitomizes why I think Kai's a poor rush job... the shading is just so horrible. It lacks... I want to use subtlety but I'm not sure if that
It's exactly the same as it was in Z, although there's a bit more contrast.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:38 am

DragonBall Kai Episode 024 (Link)

甦る仲間たち!美戦士ザーボン悪魔の変身
Yomigaeru Nakama-tachi! Bisenshi Zaabon Akuma no Henshin
Resurrected Comrades! The Handsome Warrior Zarbon's Devilish Transformation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of the scene with Goku training on the space ship on his way to Planet Namek has been re-animated. You'll note that Goku has been moved within the frame relative to the ships latter to the basements, most likely so he would do his back-flip within the frame of the shot. A little later on, a shot of Goku sitting and panting from his strenuous workout has been re-animated.

The close-up shot of Goku saying he's going to bump up the gravity to thirty times gravity has been re-animated, although there's no indication why.

An overhead shot of Goku talking to Kaio has been re-animated.

An aerial pan shot of the dead warriors on Kaio's planet as Yamcha talks to Goku has been re-animated.

Another pan shot of Piccolo, Tenshinhan, and Yamcha as they anxiously wait to start their training with Kaio has been re-animated.

The Namekian landscape that Vegeta was flying over has been re-animated, most likely to make it less jarring, and the speed of the scene was slowed down.

Zarbon unleashing a giant ki blast and Vegeta blocking it has been re-animated.

Zarbon explaining his transformation and true power to Vegeta has been re-animated.

A shot of the Namekian landscape below Vegeta and Zarbon's battle was re-animated to remove all of the bright flashing.

A couple of scenes with the transformed Zarbon after he slammed Vegeta into the ground has been re-animated, where Zarbon is surprised that's all the fight Vegeta had to offer.

Vegeta climb out of the water on the blink of death after his battle with Zarbon has been re-animated.

The artistic shot of Zarbon, in both of his forms, and Freeza in his hover chair at the end of the episode was re-animated because Zarbon's head was originally out of the frame, and to crop that would have been a nightmare. You'll notice that they've shifted Zarbon down so that he fits nicely in the cropped frame. However, you'll also notice that they made his face on the right look much worse than it originally was. Also, there's now very obvious giant dots on his armor, the top of monster Zarbon's head has no bumps (it's all smooth up there), and his little ornament thing on his head is magically dangling from nothing... Who needs consistency, right?
Last edited by Hujio on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Re-animated Scene Archive: 21 & 22 Added! (Image Heavy)

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:43 am

Scarz wrote:
UristtheGreat wrote:I think it's funny how they managed to show more of Bulma in the redrawn bath scene.
Funny? I think it's the smartest thing they've done since this whole thing kai thing started. Besides, they have to make up for all the censored penis... Hold on, I got a call... "Chris Hansen would you please leave me alone! It's a damn cartoon for Pete's sake!"
I'm just surprised they left it in.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 am

Wow, that's pretty bad. There's literally no detail on Zarbon's hair on the left either, apart from on the ponytail which was in the original shot. His head band is just a black line as well.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:08 am

Yeah, the animators working on Kai seem to skip a lot of detail when re-drawing some scenes.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:53 am

Ahh I can't believe that ornament on Zarbon's head.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 am

If you look, you can see the black dots on his armor are there in the original, except they are a much less distracting light gray color.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:51 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:Ahh I can't believe that ornament on Zarbon's head.
It looks like they forgot the black headband it was attached to.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:23 pm

DragonBall Kai Episode 025 (Link)

パワーアップだクリリン!うごめくフリーザの予感
Pawaa Appu da Kuririn! Ugomeku Furiiza no Yokan
It's a Power-Up, Krillin! Freeza's Nagging Premonition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Eldest's flashback of Piccolo Daimao shooting a giant ki blast into a city has been re-animated. You'll note that some of the crease lines in the shoulders of the shirt and in the pants were left out, but the shading was kept intact.

Krillin reacting to his sudden power-up from the Eldest has been re-animated, and for some reason the background was changed.

verto
Beyond Newbie

Re:

Post by verto » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Hujio wrote: A little later on, a shot of Goku shitting and panting from his strenuous workout has been re-animated.
I don't think he was shitting in that scene... I know Goku's a man child and all, but I don't think he still needs diapers.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Re:

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:46 pm

verto wrote:
Hujio wrote: A little later on, a shot of Goku shitting and panting from his strenuous workout has been re-animated.
I don't think he was shitting in that scene... I know Goku's a man child and all, but I don't think he still needs diapers.
He just couldn't hold it in. The strain from extra gravity was just too much for him and he couldn't hold it back! He should have brought some Pepto-Bismol along. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:10 pm

verto wrote:
...It meant to be "sitting", Hujio just misspelled it or put it there on purpose, who knows. :P

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Vino wrote:...It meant to be "sitting", Hujio just misspelled it or put it there on purpose, who knows. :P
Who knows... that guy's crazy! :x

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:53 pm

DragonBall Kai Episode 026 (Link)

砕け散れ陰謀!逆襲のベジータVSザーボン
Kudake Chire Inbou! Gyakushuu no Bejiita Tai Zaabon
The Plot is Smashed! The Counterattack, Vegeta vs Zarbon

Zarbon and Freeza talking about how Vegeta's recovery is coming along has been re-animated up to the point where the explosion from Vegeta's escape shakes the ship.

The dragonballs that are being thrown by Vegeta from Freeza's ship have been re-animated.

The naïve Bulma swooning over the handsome Zarbon has been re-animated, along with the panning shot of everyone immediately following it.

Another panning shot of everyone was re-animated to fix the tear in Vegeta's right shoulder which was actually drawn in the original, but was incorrectly colored blue instead of like skin. Although now that they overly exaggerated the lines present in the re-drawn scene, it looks like he has a weird tattoo instead of muscular definition. I've included a similar shot from earlier in the episode showing how the shoulder should have been re-drawn (highlighted in red). And maybe it's just me, but I think Bulma could easily kill someone with those sharp fingers of hers.

A shot of Vegeta egging on Zarbon before their battle has been re-animated, possibly to add that slight tear in the knee of his pants.

A handful of scenes throughout Vegeta and Zarbon's main battle have been re-animated. You'll notice that in the final scene both Vegeta and Zarbon's armor has been fixed, so that it's damaged like it should be.

The scene with Zarbon yelling at Vegeta about how he shouldn't be winning since he's in his transformed state has been re-animated to add a tear to Vegeta's pants around the knee. While that's great and all, just a couple scenes before it nearly the exact same footage is used and Vegeta's missing the knee tear. So in both scenes Vegeta originally has no tear on his knee, but in Kai, he now has a tear in one scene but not in the other. So basically, by correcting this non-inconsistency, they've created an inconsistency. I've included both scenes for comparison purposes, but note that the first scene was left as-is in Kai and wasn't re-animated.

Zarbon making his final stand, and then Vegeta finishing him off, have been re-animated. In the first shot, note that both of their armor has been corrected, along with the tears in both their pants, and Zarbon's cape was removed.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Re-animated Scene Archive: 19-26 Added! (Image Heavy)

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:02 am

Uhhh... look at Bulma's eyes in that shot!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:33 am

I'm glad that they are fixing errors, its just too bad that they aren't trying to make the reanimated scenes consistent with the old ones. :x

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:48 am

Son Goku arrived early in Kai... :?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Tsukento wrote: I think it just has more to do with the fact that there's something about the digital style that doesn't come out as it did by hand.
My girlfriend and I had a big discussion on this and that's really what it is. Everything in Kai is draw exactly the same as Z. The problem has to do with everything being vectorized. The lines and colors are very clean, yet because they are so clean, they come off as flat and empty. The flaws in the original work that were subtle and unnoticed are now clear and present. It also helps that the grain effect from the Dragonbox brings out a nice subtle texture to everything. The nice thing about digital work though is that it brings out more color. So, if they had drawn the lines by hand and colored and cleaned things up digitally Kai might have looked a lot better.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?