FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 pm

From the home page of our website:
Daizenshuu EX wrote:02 February 2010

Navarre/FUNimation Announces DragonBall Kai License
VegettoEX @ 11:20 am EST -- Moments ago on their Q3 Fiscal 2010 earnings conference call, Navarre Chief Executive Officer Cary Deacon announced the official license of DragonBall Kai to FUNimation, which is scheduled for release in the "latter part of the upcoming fiscal year" (which could run through this summer if intended as Fiscal 2010, or further if intended as Fiscal 2011)..

No additional details are available just yet, such as possible home release or broadcast (television or online) options. We have reached out to FUNimation for further comment and will update if and when we receive more information.

DragonBall Kai is a "refreshed" version of the actual DragonBall Z TV series featuring a new musical score, many of the original voice actors and actresses returning, a quickened-pace to the story, and more. Read the full history of its production over on our respective "Tidbit" page.

UPDATE: FUNimation appears to have adjusted the title of the series for their domestic release to DragonBall Z Kai, as seen on their blog this afternoon:

We look forward to receiving more information!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation Announces "Kai" License

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Awesome! For the first time ever, the US is the first country to License a DragonBall series before anyone else. Things I'm looking forward to:

The Dub: Yes, the dub. We now have a fresh start at an English DBZ dub, I think there is a slight chance it might come out pretty good. If FUNimation were to dub this like they dub all the other properties they have, I wouldn't worry. Even though I feel like the "good DragonBall Z English dub" boat has passed, I'm excited we're getting a fresh crack at it. Anyone else feel this way?

DragonBall Z on Blu-ray: I can't imagine this not being released on Blu-ray over here. My only hope is that it gets the widescreen version. I know some people are against that, but for this, I think it fits pretty well.

So what is everyone else looking forward to.... or not looking foward to?

Edit:
Update: FUNimation appears to have adjusted the title of the series for their domestic release to DragonBall Z Kai, as seen on their blog this afternoon
I did not see that comming.

Kaboom

Re: FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Really nifty news. Looking forward to more information, especially concerning whether or not a new dub will be part of the picture...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Don't you think it's a little early?! I mean... they are still in the middle of releasing the Dragon Box!

Ok... if this will get redubbed by todays standards ((Not Saban / 4Kids way)), I might give it a shot.

The logo got changed?! Whatever... they did it before.

Now, do you think it'll receive a TV Broadcast, or will be straight to Home-Release?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Anime News Networks mentions DaizEX, Awesome!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ai-license
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 pm

A name change, really?! They must really think fans are stupid, or they think there's going to be other Kai's. Oh well, I guess FUNimation finally gets to do Z Blu-rays, so good for them.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm

A name change, really?! They must really think fans are stupid, or they think there's going to be other Kai's. Oh well, I guess FUNimation finally gets to do Z Blu-rays, so good for them.
I see one of two possibilities. Either they're worried that American audiences would hear of it and go "Dragonball Kai!? NEW SERIES!" and then watch it and go "THIS ISN'T NEW!" and cause a hissyfit (not all that improbable) or they went "Hey, slap a Z on there and people will buy it even if they've already bought our old singles, our UUEs, our Season Sets, and are currently buying the DBoxes! A Z equals sales!" :lol:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:46 pm

I am very dissapointed in FUNimation's decision to change the name of the series. Very.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:48 pm

I've been waiting for this! I can't wait. I'm wondering if this will hit televisions. Given Cartoon Network's current stance on Anime I doubt it will make it but there is still hopes for Sci-fi(I hate the new logo) and Disney XD(I don't care I'd watch it there).

As for the logo change, I kinda like it and it makes sense. I thought it was odd that it was Called "Dragonball Kai" and yet it only focused on Z. Plus like Xyex said, if they didn't change the logo you'd have confused fans thinking this is a new series and then bitch about the fact that it's a remake of Z.

I'm looking forward to more news.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm just interested in what roles in particular will be getting replaced with more accurate voices. Though, it'd still be difficult to hear vastly different voices with some of those characters, bad or not, when you've been hearing them for 10 years.

I don't know why anyone is honestly surprised that they altered the name for a domestic release. I was a little taken aback initially, but really. This is FUNi we're talking about. That just comes with the territory.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:50 pm

I really don't see how the name change matters. I mean, the show is actually called Dragonball Z, and it's what the general western audience is most familiar with.

Fishman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fishman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:53 pm

What is there to be disappointed about?

I mean, it's not like Kai has shown signs of covering any Dragonball content that isn't Dragonball Z.
Super Saiyan Blue is not a creative color.
DBZ Movie 3 told a stronger and more believable "Evil Goku" story in 60 minutes than Dragon Ball Super has in 20 episodes. And it did it with better visuals and score.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I am very disappointed in FUNimation's decision to change the name of the series. Very.
Apparently in Japan they're smart enough to figure it out, but here in the States, we're morons. Yeah... actually, I buy that. But still, can't they just leave well-enough alone?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Hujio wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I am very disappointed in FUNimation's decision to change the name of the series. Very.
Apparently in Japan they're smart enough to figure it out, but here in the States, we're morons. Yeah... actually, I buy that. But still, can't they just leave well-enough alone?
I wouldn't say we're morons but I would say a lot of the Dragonball fans(outside of this site) are misinformed. I mean, look at the big stink a lot of people made about the Dragobox with out doing the research. Those same people are going to make a bigger stink about Kai once they realize it's not actually a new part of the series but rather a remastering of Z.

"Fucking Funimation I just paid $40 for another version of DBZ!1!!! I thought this was something new!!!"

At least now that kind of bitchy fit can be avoided.Of course on the other side of that coin, you have other(more informed fans) upset about the fact that they even bothered to change the name in the first place. It's a lose lose situation for Funimation.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm actually just excited to see how they advertise it. Can't wait for the trailer!
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:22 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Hujio wrote:
I wouldn't say we're morons but I would say a lot of the Dragonball fans(outside of this site) are misinformed. I mean, look at the big stink a lot of people made about the Dragobox with out doing the research. Those same people are going to make a bigger stink about Kai once they realize it's not actually a new part of the series but rather a remastering of Z.

"Fucking Funimation I just paid $40 for another version of DBZ!1!!! I thought this was something new!!!"

At least now that kind of bitchy fit can be avoided.Of course on the other side of that coin, you have other(more informed fans) upset about the fact that they even bothered to change the name in the first place. It's a lose lose situation for Funimation.
They must be pretty stupid if they can't read any special taglines likely to be plastered on the DVD about what Dragon Ball Kai is.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Again, I don't see the problem with the name change. If anything it's made why wonder why it wasn't called that in the first place. That portion of the show was called Dragonball Z in Japan as well right?

Although I can't really see the Funimation audience (that is, the fans who only know DBZ through Funimation) appreciating it for what it is. Seems more likely it'll be a case "First they tell us they're releasing the ultimate collection, only to release another so called ultimate collection a couple months later. And now they're releasing it again but with half the stuff cut out!". Especially if it doesn't get a broadcast run before the DVD/BR release.
Last edited by Amigo Ten on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Shit. I just realized the name change is probley gonna ruin the home video release for some people. Now that the name is "DragonBall Z Kai", they will have to change the logo on the opening and next episode previews. Will there be more then one video track to fix this? Sure it's possible but will it happen? Dun dun dun!

I say sure, leave the one video track on the DVD (if they even release this on DVD), but put the two video tracks on the Blu-ray.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Actually I agree much more with the title Dragon Ball Z Kai than just Dragon Ball Kai. It implies that it just covers the Z part of the story, and also implies that is nothing more than a version of DBZ.

This should have been the original name.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Again, I don't see the problem with the name change. If anything it's made why wonder why it wasn't called that in the first place. That portion of the show was called Dragonball Z in Japan as well right?
The thing is, Kai is based off of the manga, not the anime. And in Japan, the manga wasn't broken up into different series, it was just DragonBall. Plain and simple.

Also, like Tanooki pointed out, they're gonna have to change the logo in the opening and next episode previews. Besides, the show is already known world-wide as DragonBall Kai. It also just sounds weird to me when you say it out loud. Is it DragonBall Z or DragonBall Kai?!