"DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Oh, Funi....was there any real reason we needed to hear Vegeta making baseball references? At least such references are more subtle than they probably would have been in previous dubbings (Vegeta saying he can throw a mean curve ball, and "the only thing Freeza's pitching now is a fit"), but still, come on!

The editing was fun....wonder if anyone who didn't know that Vegeta had his arm halfway in Zarbon's stomach was wondering why he was standing in front of him for so long before blasting him away. And as an avid Vegeta/Bulma shipper, I always get a chuckle out of their first meeting. Totally love at first sight....as he tried to blast her and Krillin when they tried to escape :lol: I wondered if Krillin's line about Bulma having bad taste in boyfriends was a subtle hint from Funi about her future relationship, since even though she was ogling Zarbon at the time, Vegeta was standing right there, too.

Has there been any confirmation yet that the new episodes are going to continue after this week is over? Tomorrow's episode is the last one my DVR is shown to be recording, and Avatar is listed in Kai's time-slot for next week in the programming guide :?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Tomorrow's episode is the last one my DVR is shown to be recording, and Avatar is listed in Kai's time-slot for next week in the programming guide :?
Wait... so if they are indeed showing no new episodes, then the show is going to be taken off outright?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Check @FUNimation on Twitter tomorrow for their reply to my question about how long Nicktoons' season will be.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I continue to enjoy Freeza in this dub, especially his dialogue, and Zarbon was excellent, too.

It occured to me, watching this latest episode, just how convenient Kai is during the Namek episodes. They're almost at the Ginyu portion already!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Still, do you really think that's the kind of voice Toriyama had in mind? I can imagine maybe he had a voice like Dave Ward's Kaioh in mind, but Schemmėl's Kaioh is way too... "special".
I actually don't know if that's the voice Toriyama had in mind. It could go either way, really. I'm sure people in Japan reading the Manga before watching the Anime would've pictured Kaiō with a voice similar to that of the dub.
Now you're just making stuff up. Either stick to facts or stick to opinions. Quit changing the importance of either based on what's most convenient to you and quit trying to use your speculation on something we'll never know as fact.
I'm just saying that it wouldn't be too far-fetched for someone to picture Kaiō with a similar to that of the dub (FUNimation or Ocean) while reading the Manga.

Guys, chill out. I just stated my opinion about dub Kaiō and I had about four people bash me for it. You guys may not accept it but, Schemmel's Kaiō and Yanami's Kaiō are both accurate interpretations of the same character. Just because a dub voice doesn't sound an original voice, doesn't make it inaccurate. If you just take a minute to analyse Kaiō and his personality, you'd see that Schemmel's take on him isn't as inaccurate as you might think.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:54 pm

penguintruth wrote:I continue to enjoy Freeza in this dub, especially his dialogue, and Zarbon was excellent, too.
Agreed, I'm loving his authoritative and pissed off vocal delivery. In fact, I think this actor could easily pull off a pretty awesome English Vegeta with the right vocal direction.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I don't recall any spiced up dialogue in Full Metal Alchemist
I do.
(citation needed)

To my knowledge, other than the occasional mild expletive (but no major four-letter words), they kept the dialogue pretty much faithful throughout. Maybe it was because FMA was more of a serious shounen show than DBZ/Kai ever was. I'd rather have a faithful, occasionally "spiced up" script for a show than a dry, verbatim-translated script any day.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Ishtar318
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ishtar318 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 pm

sailorspazz wrote: Has there been any confirmation yet that the new episodes are going to continue after this week is over? Tomorrow's episode is the last one my DVR is shown to be recording, and Avatar is listed in Kai's time-slot for next week in the programming guide :?
The schedule for Nicktoons just hasn't been updated. My DishNetwork guide and Zap2it show Kai airing next week, but they have yet to list the specific episodes. The episode names are untitled. We'll find out tomorrow night, if Nicktoons has a promo for new Kai next week after tomorrow's episode airs. Also, Kai is definitely airing next week because Nicktoons has that "Summer primetime" promo and it includes Kai.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 pm

RE: brakus

I don't know if I follow. Would that be implying that the actual script for the show was dry to begin with? I mean, if the show is already written well, then just translating it verbatim should still capture the wit of the original without any need for "punching up."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Brakus wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I don't recall any spiced up dialogue in Full Metal Alchemist
I do.
(citation needed)

To my knowledge, other than the occasional mild expletive (but no major four-letter words), they kept the dialogue pretty much faithful throughout. Maybe it was because FMA was more of a serious shounen show than DBZ/Kai ever was. I'd rather have a faithful, occasionally "spiced up" script for a show than a dry, verbatim-translated script any day.
Dialogue where there originally wasn't any (Funimation just LOVES to do that), lines like "Give mommy a hug, my prince of cool" and Greed calling Ed and Al "the Smellric brothers". I'm sure I could find other examples.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Brakus wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I do.
(citation needed)

Agreed, but there is a fine line when your spicing up dialogue. From what I can tell so far, Kai's dub deviates or "punches up" when an original line is extremely generic. This is much more preferd than Z's dub, which randomly changed things or added jokes in place of at times, important to the plot dialogue.

Dragon Ball aint Shakespeare, not that I'm defending "I hate the media" type lines , though I'm pretty sure Nappa just said something like die in the original, which is my point. It's not a punch up I prefer, but it doesn't change the actual story in anyway. Like I said, it's a fine line you must walk, but word for word is not what I demand in a good translated script for Dragon Ball. Unless of course, you'd want the character's talking like robots half the time due to the lack of slang and variety in the Japanese language.

It would get old after a while hearing "such power, when did he get such power!?" over and over in the English version. I'm much more anal toward character's names and how they would speak being as close as possible etc.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Brakus wrote:To my knowledge, other than the occasional mild expletive (but no major four-letter words), they kept the dialogue pretty much faithful throughout.
Again, you can say this for almost every dub FUNimation has done. Such as, the original Dragon Ball and GT. They're mostly accurate, but are they good dubs?

And, uh, no citation be needed. The FMA dub is pretty much on the same level of what they did with the first Dragon Ball and YuYu Hakusho.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:08 am

B wrote:The FMA dub is pretty much on the same level of what they did with the first Dragon Ball and YuYu Hakusho.
Which isn't terrible per se, but isn't amazing, either. I've always found the FMA dub to be a tad overrated. It's not terrible by any means, just not quite up to par with some of my favorite dubs.

But enough FMA talk from me. I'm still recovering from the manga being over and Brotherhood will be done, soon, too. :(

Can I get a Schemen?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:12 am

Yu Yu Hakusho's dub wasn't exact, direct translation-it did take some liberties. But, I do enjoy that dub greatly. Unlike Dragon Ball, where I try to watch both language tracks...I usually just stick with the dub of YYH, with no real desire to watch the original (and I do own the whole series on DVD).

I don't think the new dub for Kai will do that for me, but I am loving it greatly. I can alternate between the Kai sets for dubbed and the DBoxes for Japanese, and get high quality on both ends.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 am

Anyone know if new episodes will continue next week?

Zarbon was awesome until the end, Freeza is just incredible! I can't wait til monday to hear the new Ginyu Tokusentai!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 am

As I said earlier, it doesn't make much sense to show four new episodes a week, plus four more if you're going to have a 30 some episode season. Why would they shoot their entire load in just a few months? That's silly.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 am

Yea, it is kinda silly but, when it was Cartoon Network they would have like 40 to 50 episodes a season. But then again, you go further into the series with 50 episodes of Kai than Z... Where was I going with this?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:34 am

Pokemon had a 70-something episode season, and that show doesn't have a filler problem like Dragon Ball Z.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 am

Pokemons based off a game, manga followed after the TV series.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:48 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Pokemons based off a game, manga followed after the TV series.
Filler doesn't just mean things that were in the Anime that weren't in the Manga, it can also mean episodes where nothing important or memorable happens (Pokemon has a fair few of these).