"DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

"DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by dragonpiece » Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 pm

This is the talkback thread for "DragonBall Z Kai" on Nicktoons and Toonzai.

Nicktoons has started showing this show on Monday, May 24th @ 8pm/7pm CST

Toonzai on CW-4kids will start airing this show Saturday, August 14th@11am CST

Just to note, please don't make worthless comments talking about you not having the channel(s) as it is not really a topic to discuss with others.
Last edited by dragonpiece on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai Episodes 1-8 NickToons Talkback

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Just got my Boxset today, so I'll check out the first 2 uncut episodes, then switch on over to the TV dub.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Mon May 24, 2010 4:56 pm

dragonpiece wrote:Here we go, time to see all thaat has been edited and changed. And word is now going around that Freeza's va may have been changed, so who knows what happens tonight?! Maybe hell will go frozen, maybe Jacob will rejoice?! Catch it all go down 8pm/7pm cst!
Where did you hear that rumor, if you don't mind me asking?
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Post by Echo64 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:40 pm

I really hope they don't change the opening and ending, in the past they always seemed to cut them down to fit in their time slot. I can't even describe how awesome it would be to finally see a faithful translation of a Dragon Ball opening song aired on network television!
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Hot balls, the new, shortened version of "Dragon Soul" was jizz-tastic. I like it better than the long version. New singer, too!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Was Vic Mignogna singing a shortened version of the theme the "big surprise"? What a letdown... Honestly, Schemmel's version is much better, Vic just doesn't have the right voice for the song in my eyes (although his singing was better, and I didn't notice any auto-tune in it). I don't see how this is supposed to "please everybody".
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Mon May 24, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:04 pm

I actually like Mignogna's better.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 24, 2010 8:08 pm

As I stated before...it was jizz-tastic.

Even though I love this version...I hope this isn't the big surprise...I was just fine with Schemmel's version.

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Post by Echo64 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:08 pm

Big Momma wrote:Hot balls, the new, shortened version of "Dragon Soul" was jizz-tastic. I like it better than the long version. New singer, too!
Please tell me someone recorded it, oh my god I want to hear it so badly.. :shock:
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon May 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Vic sang the original version of Dragon Soul which supposedly Sean had used as a guide for singing his final version that was to be used for the DVDs. Vic then later re-re-recorded it for the shortened TV broadcast version. Also, no Freeza is the same, as you could tell from the opening scene.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Vic Mignogna's "Dragon Soul" is so much better than Sean Schemmel's. It's really good.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm

I personally like Vic's Dragon Soul better then Sean's. Vic's didn't have Auto-tune. :P
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 pm

I'd wager they shortened Dragon Soul to not only save time, but to match the ending, too. YBCB is only a minute long.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 pm

I can now safely say that Monica Rial sounds EXACTLY like Tiffany Vollmer. Except when she's screaming. She's squeakier.
Cold World (Fanfic)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Rial sounds a lot better than Vollmer. Sharper, less bubbly. Still energetic, but not flakey-sounding at all.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:28 pm

penguintruth wrote:Rial sounds a lot better than Vollmer. Sharper, less bubbly. Still energetic, but not flakey-sounding at all.
You could say this all day and I still wouldn't hear a single difference.

And I still don't like new Gohan. And I doubt I ever will.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:31 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Monica Rial sounds EXACTLY like Tiffany Vollmer
Not really. I don't see how people can say that. They sound similar in ways, but she's actually probably closer to her first Ocean dub voice (vocally, performance-wise she is leagues above her).
SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:I personally like Vic's Dragon Soul better then Sean's. Vic's didn't have Auto-tune. :P
Yeah, the singing was much better (talent-wise), and there was no Auto-Tune, but I just think Schemmel was closer vocally to the Japanese singer. I don't like how it was sang as well, it sounded like Vic was trying to spice it up or something.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Mon May 24, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon May 24, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm forcing my little cousin to watch Kai now. The boy needs to learn and he better like it as much as I did or else.

Wow, I really don't like the opening song.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon May 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Holy Crap, watching now!

So far, LEAGUES better!
Vic's Dragon Soul is actually like 100x better...

AND THANK YOU FUNi!! Gohan and Bulma sound WAY Better!!

Also, is it just me, or does the remastering in Kai look a ton better on an actual HDTV?!
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon May 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Wow, Mignogna's version is so much better than Schemmel's, I really wonder where the desire to change an already recorded version(or use a different one for the broadcast) stemmed from.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki