DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai Cable TV Version (NickToons) Edits! *Ep 27*

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Is it just me, or are they sort of overusing the profanity. It seems forced and there are several instances where it doesn't need to be used.
Actually, yeah. They seem to do it just 'cause it wasn't in previous version. Prefer it to the "Darn" or "Rats", etc. type of dialog.

Especially with Vegeta, to me him swearing is not out of character at all. It actually surprises me how it seems like Krillin is the one to swear the most. Sort of torn with Goku, but since he's not supposed to be entirely proper him swearing doesn't feel out of character either. So, I'm fine with it for Goku and Vegeta; but, for different reasons. But, than again; I swear a lot myself and find it natural (don't even think about it, just part of my vernacular; not the best speaking habit to have but there you go) in speaking.

But it surprised me that Guldo was the first to say "shit", based on what Sean Schemmel said, I was expecting Goku, or Vegeta; just 'cause he's Vegeta.

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChampionofTime » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:03 am

Having just caught up with these I’d like to say great job, it’s nice and surprising to see the effort that’s been put into this :D

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:20 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Is it just me, or are they sort of overusing the profanity. It seems forced and there are several instances where it doesn't need to be used.
Well, considering that FUNi says that Kai is rated TV-PG right on the back of the DVD and episodes 26 and 27 have used the word "bastard" enough to receive a TV-14L if it aired on [adult swim], I'd say yeah. Overusing it really kills its effectiveness and makes it seem like they threw it in just to say it is "uncut". I'm still waiting for a "bitch" or "ass" to be used though.
GT is underrated and the International Channel will always be my favorite channel for foreign programming. I still miss it.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:31 am

Odd, I don't feel like it's forced. It feels right with the situations presented to whoever is saying "damn".

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:22 am

I love the swearing, and it is infinitely better than hearing UGH DARNNNN YOUUUUU in the original Z dub.

Honestly, who the hell says "Darn you" anyway? I have never heard anybody say that in my life, it sounds just so unbelievably stupid and unnatural

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:42 am

MetalMadness wrote: Honestly, who the hell says "Darn you" anyway? I have never heard anybody say that in my life, it sounds just so unbelievably stupid and unnatural
Agreed. To be honest people swear more than you might think in basic conversation.
Never mind if you are fighting for your life on an alien planet.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:30 pm

The Countdown to Battle Begins! Enter, The Ginyu Force!

There wasn't an edit for about 5 minutes into this episode. The first edit comes as Goku is taking a bath. That whole bathroom scene is cut out.

After Goku's bath he goes into the refrigerator to look for something to drink. The first thing he takes out is a can of beer. The words are edited out in the TV version...

Meanwhile, Krillin and Gohan are flying to see the Grand Elder. Krillin thinks to himself how much more powerful Vegeta has gotten. In the TV version all the dialogue Krillin is thinking and the flashbacks to the Vegeta Vs. Zarbon fight are all edited out. I don't really see any real reason to toss these things, though...

Vegeta soon catches up to Krillin and Gohan, right before they make it to the Grand Elder's place. After the initial back and forth Krillin and Vegeta have, Vegeta assumes the last Ball he needs is in that strange place up ahead. As Vegeta flies off, Krillin yells...

Vegeta, feeling an energy spike, now thinks Kakarot is inside this strange place, as he yells for him to come out, Gohan is the one who steps out.

Before anyone could throw a punch, Dende runs out and yells to everyone that the Grand Elder is senses some evil powers heading towards the planet. Vegeta replies...

Everyone feels the power, but only Vegeta knows who it could be.

Vegeta frantically demands of Krillin that he use the DragonBalls to wish for his immortality. Krillin realizes he has no choice but to temporarily team up with Vegeta, there being three wishes instead of one being the selling point for Krillin. Vegeta, Gohan, and Krillin fly off. Nail goes back inside and the Grand Elder tells him to help the Earthlings and not to worry about him...

When Krillin, Gohan and Vegeta swoop down and take the DragonBall Bulma had, she yells at them as they fly away. I really don't know why they changed "jerks" to "punks".

And that's it for episode 28!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai Cable TV Version (NickToons) Edits! *Ep 28*

Post by Mewzard » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:45 pm

...When did Jerks become a swear? Did I miss some FCC meeting?

Other than that, thanks for another post showing what little pointless issues have to be removed.

Some of these edits are just silly.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:47 am

Wow, why would they change a whole line just to change one little word from "jerks" to "punks." Seems like a pointless edit.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:21 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:Wow, why would they change a whole line just to change one little word from "jerks" to "punks." Seems like a pointless edit.
Unfortunately, they were told to change it by Nickelodeon's standards dept. Moreover, whoever told FUNi to change "jerk" completely missed the origin of "jerk" as an insult. (Per Sonny Strait, the term originated in the '50s or so, in the context of "soda jerk" and other such menial jobs back then.) Basically the guys at FUNi were asked to change it due to a completely erroneous explanation of the term "jerk".
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChampionofTime » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:51 am

Agreed. To be honest people swear more than you might think in basic conversation.
Definitely, there hasn't been a day gone by when I haven't heard multiple swears used in everyday conversation these past few years.

As for the edits removing the word beer from the can? I would have thought that gave out a good message considering Goku decided not to drink it?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Goku is an adult, not drinking beer at his age is no more a good decision than not eating junk food. I'd say they were just removing all alcohol references. Edits are much easier to make today than they were in the saban days. Removing the text means Funi doesn't have to insert some ham-fisted dialog about the dangers of alcohol :D.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Why did they remove the Japanese katakana from the can as well?

Do they really think that kids are going to translate it and find out it says 'Beer'?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:25 pm

First Up for the Ginyu Force! Guldo's Time Freeze!

There are no edits for about the first 4 minutes. The first edit comes as the Ginyu Force descends right before Gohan, Krillin and Vegeta blocking the DragonBalls from them. Vegeta says...

Guldo seems eager to start fighting Vegeta, Reacoom steps in and tells him...

Ginyu chimes in with...

After Burta and Guldo manage to get the Balls from Vegeta and Krillin, Ginyu tells his men to have fun with them, Jheese clarifies what "have fun with them" actually means...

Guldo starts fighting Krillin and Gohan. At one point Krillin and Gohan almost get the upper had, before Guldo did his time freeze move...

Guldo falls causing the air to escape his lungs. This causes time to start again...

Seeing a chance Krillin and Gohan fire an energy blast at Guldo, but miss...

The rest of the Ginyu Force is starting to have their doubts about Guldo, feeling desperate, Guldo decides to pull out his desperation move...

Krillin and Gohan are now frozen in mid air due to Guldo's paralysis attack. Vegeta seeing an opening shoots a beam through Guldo's neck, causing his head to come off his body. In the TV version the head is edited out which makes it a little confusing because we see a beam go through his neck but now his head is gone....

The next few shots were of Vegeta and Guldo's head talking to each other. That whole scene was cut out. Basically in the TV version the head comes off, then the next shot shows the body hit the floor without the head, then we see Vegeta blast "something", I say "something" because the TV version starts the shot right as the blast hits Guldo and so you don't actually see what he blew up. This whole edit is a little sloppy, I think they could have touched it up a little better.

Krillin and Gohan then go thank Vegeta...

Meanwhile the rest of the Ginyu Force is a little surprised by this turn of events...

As the Ginyu Force plays Rock, Paper, Scissors - Vegeta and the others look on, knowing whatever the outcome is, it's not going to be good...

Soon after the episode ends!

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai Cable TV Version (NickToons) Edits! *Ep 29*

Post by ChampionofTime » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Quite surprising to not only hear shit in English Dragon Ball but also to hear Guldo say it - I would have thought they would have chosen another character to say it first.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Assuming they can get away with it, Nicktoons should just stick with this way of editing blood in my opinion. Seems like the least obstructive.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:10 pm

So what does Goku say when he takes out that beer? Does he still mention that it's a beer, or does he just say it's not healthy but not mention what exactly it is?
­

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:11 pm

I love seeing how fast these comparisons are coming up :D This thread makes a really interesting read, thanks for all the hard work Tanooki!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the lines Vegeta and Guldo exchange before he finishes him?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:55 pm

After reading through this I am quite happy all the "darns" and "rats" are gone. Most people I know and myself swear naturally, no one ever says Darn or heck or rats! Praise the lord! Happy days are here to stay! Anyways, if you were about to smoked by a huge beam to the face you would say "Oh shit!" Afterwards if you survived you would call him a bastard for doing that. Finally we don't have a wooden script with censors out of the ass! (oh look I swore!!! :D)
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:43 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:Image

Assuming they can get away with it, Nicktoons should just stick with this way of editing blood in my opinion. Seems like the least obstructive.
I'd much rather it just be left out completely instead of that. Looks like he's leaking orange juice :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog