DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Episode 1: "Prologue To Battle! The Return Of Goku !" - Page 1
Episode 2: "The Enemy is Goku's Brother?! The Secret of the Mighty Saiyan Warriors !" - Page 1
Episode 3: "A Life of Death Battle! Goku and Piccolo's Desperate Attack !" - Page 1
Episode 4: "Run in the Afterlife Goku! The Million Mile Snake Way !" - Page 3
Episode 5: "Wilderness Survival! A Moonlit Night Awakens Gohan!" - Page 4
Episode 6: "The End of Snake Way! King Kai's Bizarre Test!" - Page 4
Episode 7: "The Battle with Ten-Times Gravity! Goku's Race Against The Clock" - Page 5
Episode 8: "Shenron Appears! The Saiyans Arrive Sooner Than Expected!" - Page 5
Episode 9: "Yamcha's Struggle! The Terrible Saibamen!" - Page 6
Episode 10: "Sit Tight Chiaotzu! Tien's Screaming Tri Beam!" - Page 7
Episode 11: "Will Goku Make it in Time?! Three Hours Untill the Battle Resumes!" - Page - 9
Episode 12: "Farewell, Piccolo. Goku's Furious Counterattack!" - Page 10
Episode 13: "The Power of the Kaio-Ken! Goku vs. Vegeta!" - Page 12
Episode 14: "An All-Out Kamehameha! Vegeta's Terrible Transformation!" - Page 14
Episode 15: "Goku on the Rops! Pin Your Hopes on the Spirit Bomb!" - Page 15
Episode 16: "Defeat the Invincible Vegeta! Work a Miracle, Gohan!" - Page 16
Episode 17: "Dawn of a Fierce Battle! The Star of Hope is Piccolo's Homeland!" - Page 16
Episode 18: "The Ship Resting in Yunzabit! Blast Off to Planet Namek!" - Page 21
Episode 19: "A Powerfull New Foe! Frieza Ruler of the Universe!" - Page 22
Episode 20: "The Rebellion Against Freeza! Vegeta's Burning Ambition!" - Page 23
Episode 21: "Protect the Dragon Balls! The Namekians All-Out Attack!" - Page 24
Episode 22: "Dodoria's Terrifying Chase! A Truth Revealed to Vegeta!" - Page 24
Episode 23: "Vegeta's Covert Maneuvers! A Tragic Assault on the Namekians!" - Page 25
Episode 24: "Friends Reborn! Zarbon's Hideous Transformation!" - Page 25
Episode 25: "Power Up Krillin! Freeza's Mounting Apprehension!" - Page 26
Episode 26: "The Scheme is Shattered! Vegeta Strikes Back at Zarbon!" - Page 27
Episode 27: "A Touch-and-Go Situation! Gohan, Protect the Four-Star Ball!" - Page 27
Episode 28: "The Countdown to Battle Begins! Enter, The Ginyu Force! - Page 28
Episode 29: "First Up for the Ginyu Force! Guldo's Time Freeze!" - Page 28
Episode 30: "The Nightmare Recoome! Come Out and play Vegeta!" - Page 29
Episode 31: "Goku Arrives at Last! Take Down the Ginyu Force!" - Page 31
Episode 32: "The Star Player Appears! Ginyu vs. Goku!" - Page 32
Episode 33: "Power Up Goku! Captain Ginyu's Desperate Attack" - Page 32
Episode 34: "Surprise! Goku is Ginyu and Ginyu is Goku?!" - Page 33
Episode 35: "Goku's Comeback! Call Fourth Porunga!" - Page 33
Episode 36: "Freeza Closes In! Mighty Porunga Grant Our Wish!" - Page 34
Episode 37: "A Nightmare Trasnformation! Freeza's Power Level: One Millionl?!" - Page 35
Episode 38: "Freeza Bares His Fangs! Gohan's Overwhelming Attack! - Page (not yet posted)
Episode 39: "Piccolo Reborn! Freeza's Second Transformation" - Page (not yet posted)

For episode 40 and beyond, you can find them, and all the previous episodes in a new place. Details comming soon!

"Dragon Ball Z Kai (TV Version Edits): Episode 1 "Prologue To Battle! The Return Of Goku!"

Let's begin!

The English version of "Dragon Soul" (sung by Sean Schemmel) from the DVD is not the same version they use for the TV version. Instead it's a shorted version sung by Vic Mignogna. If you want to hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sof3mvLF6B8

The first scene with Bardok confronting Freeza, all of Bardoks blood and scar is removed! They really did an awesome job with this, I mean I'm not saying "Yay, it's edited!" I'm just saying the digital painters did a really good job covering this stuff up. There are parts where Bardok is moving through crowds of people, moving around, getting blasted and having flames all around his face and still, it held up really well. Even that little split second where Bardok punches that guy, even HIS blood is edited even though no one would really ever notice it. I thought purple blood was OK! Well, I guess not.

Some of the blood marks on his face where re-colored to look like... dirt?

The next edit was for some Japanese characters. I guess it makes sense to change it into English...

In the Goku's back story, Piccolo's blood is turned into spit. Also when Goku comes into the shot, all his blood is gone as well.

All those edits and we didn't even get to the title screen yet! :lol: Speaking of the title screen. The TV version uses a different font. I kinda like the TV version better, it looks like the original Japanese font they used. Very clean and straight forward.

No surprise here...

The car's name has been removed. I missed this the first time around. Thanks to G1Ravage for pointing this out.

Then when Raditz mistakes Piccolo for Goku, we have our first dialogue edit:

Then soon after, in the same scene we have another dialogue edit:

The next scene we see Bulma landing on Roshi's island. Bulma walks in the door and Roshi is holding a cup of pure light!

Scene omitted for sexual humor? Roshi tries to grab Bulma's boobs. Didn't think they'd keep that in.

Soon after, Krillin asks Bulma what happened to Yamcha. Her response is different depending on which version you watch. I thought it was odd, I don't think she says anything that bad...

Sometime after, Raditz lands on Roshi's island, he eventually knocks Krillin into the Kame House (Krillins in the house!!!) ...sorry. Krillin's blood is edited, like the past edits to look like spit...

One more quick dialogue edit, and the episode ends.

The next episode previews are now shown right before the credits. The ending theme is the same "Yea, Break, Care, Break" from the DVD version except the animated scenes that go with it are all over the place and the song is cut down. It's not actually edited to be shorted it just fades out in the middle of the song as the credits end. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

After the credits, the TV version does something really cool. It plays the "Toei" logo! Why isn't this on the home release?! Gah!

Episode 2 might just be up late tonight, like really late, like 1AM\2AM late. :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 76 times in total.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall Z Kai TV Version Edits: Episode 1.

Post by Blue » Wed May 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Thank you SO much for doing these! I hope you keep it up. I wonder why they changed Bulma's dialogue? That's the only baffling edit to me. That and why they decided to paint the white sign red.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed May 26, 2010 4:50 pm

This is like Season 1 again..

All we need now is "The Next Dimension" to be said.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Man, this is awesome. You really should make a full-blown 'Dragon Ball Kai Uncensored' site!

Heya, if I credit you do you mind if I post this elesewhere? :)
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed May 26, 2010 5:07 pm

The first difference is how the episode starts. Originally it's Goku's back story, then the "Dragon Soul" theme, then the title screen. In the TV version the format is "Dragon Soul" opening then Goku's back story then the title screen. Not a big deal.
No. Episode 1 always started with Dragon Soul.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Puto wrote:No. Episode 1 always started with Dragon Soul
Arg! You're right. When I was doing this I thought it started with Dragon Soul but then I was like no, I don't think it did. Well I should have double checked. I omitted that line about the Dragon Soul placement. Thanks.
JulieYBM wrote:Man, this is awesome. You really should make a full-blown 'Dragon Ball Kai Uncensored' site!
Heya, if I credit you do you mind if I post this elesewhere?
I don't think I would ever make a site, I'm not that good with that kind of stuff. But yea, post away!

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed May 26, 2010 5:49 pm

One more...'Chevrolet' was removed from the back of the farmer's truck.

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Post by Echo64 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:After the credits, the TV version does something really cool. It plays the "Toei" logo! Why isn't this on the home release?! Gah!

I found this the most interesting, I heard that it showed the Funimation logo as well. It's good that the actual companies that produce the show are getting acknowledged.
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Yea the FUNimation logo is right after that, then the Nicktoons logo.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed May 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:The ending theme is the same "Yea, Break, Care, Break" from the DVD version except the animated scenes that go with it are all over the place and the song is cut down. It's not actually edited to be shorted it just fades out in the middle of the song as the credits end. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
What? The airing I saw didn't have the ED at all! Recording of this, please.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Well, if Nicktoons didn't keep putting promos during the credits you'd see it. :lol: I'll post a video of it in like an hour.

Edit: Ugh, I'm being lazy. Well not really... I'm doing episode two right now. If you wanna see the TV version of the end credits go to Nicktoons.com and watch an episode, the end credits won't be the promo one. Sorry. :?
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Wed May 26, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed May 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks a ton for doing this. I'm only going to be on and off watching the TV Broadcast (Ya know, whenever I have the time) until Episode 14 rolls around. So I'm really intrigued to see all of the edits that they make. Great job.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed May 26, 2010 10:59 pm

How many times DBZ Kai air on Nicktoons every week and what day?

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed May 26, 2010 11:37 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:How many times DBZ Kai air on Nicktoons every week and what day?
From what I caught today, it seems like they're doing two new episodes back-to-back all this week (very similar to how another Shonen being dubbed is being aired on American cable) at 5 and 5:30. Cable's weird, though, so don't quote me on that.

Very interesting to see they've also changed up the title font, as well. I'm guessing that's in anticipation for later episode titles possibly being a bit too descriptive?

The blood is... ugh. I mean, I can kinda understand the Bardock scene's edits more, but I feel like most other fights don't feel all that bloody. Then again, I have no idea what's considered mentally scarring for kids with access to cable nowadays, so... :?.

Regardless of all these edits, though, I'm still glad to see DB(Z)K airing on American TV, now. It seems like forever since I've last seen anime on TV without hooking up my laptop up to it.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 am

Dragon Ball Z Kai (TV Version Edits): Episode 2 "The Enemy is Goku's Brother?! The Secret Of The Mighty Saiyan Warriors!"

The first 4 seconds into the episode and we have an edit! It's OK though, this is the only edit for blood in this episode. Every other edit in this episode is a dialogue change. All the blood in the flashback including Piccolo's (even though it's purple) was edited. You saw this in the first post so no reason to show you Piccolo again...

From here on out it's all dialogue edits...

When Raditz confronts Goku about his memory...

A few moments later Raditz tries to get Goku to join him, Goku responds to Raditz...

Raditz knocks Goku to the floor with one knee to the stomach...

Raditz takes Goku's son hostage untill Goku does as Raditz says...

After this, Raditz stands over Goku laughing. This was cut...

...And Raditz continues to talk...

To which Roshi responds...

Raditz flies away with Gohan, a while later Raditz detects something on his scouter. Could it be Goku?

(There was another scene not shown here where Raditz damns his scouter)

Goku and Piccolo land near where Raditz is, words are exchanged and some words are edited...

And that's it for episode 2.

Tidbits

So doing these things I realize the TV version's colors are much brighter. Reminds me of the original dub... I'm so glad it's not like that on the DVD. :D

Also, I just wanted to say, after reading this, the font I used in the word bubbles annoyed me. I'm going to change it in the next post. Don't know which one I'll pick, but it will be easier to read....

Image/

Edit: Since everything is going to be under one topic name, I'm gonna keep page 1 updated with a table of contents kind of thing. Basically telling people what episode is on what page of this thread. I'll start it up once page 2 begins.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Tanooki's DragonBall Z Kai TV Version Edits!

Post by dan2026 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:49 am

Wow I can't believe they are actually censoring all the references to death.
Jesus its like we have learned nothing in ten years.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu May 27, 2010 3:26 am

Not all references of death. There are several uses of kill, death, die in the edited tv version even...it seems oddly picky.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:31 am

Why do you say that? They learned plenty in 10 years. They released an uncut DVD and Blu-ray which has the uncut versions while of course meeting certain standards for their TV broadcast. It's on Nick Toons, which is definitely watched by children, so they decided to deflect the angry mob of moms. Smart move. The airing on Nick Toons is not aimed for old school fans, the release is.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu May 27, 2010 5:26 am

Changing blood to spit. That's new.

Nice work Tanooki Kuribo!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu May 27, 2010 11:16 pm

Dragon Ball Z Kai (TV Version Edits): Episode 3 "A Life or Death Battle! Goku and Piccolo's Desperate Attack!"

Whoa! This was one crazy edited episode. It seemed like almost every other scene has some kind of edit. This episode took me about 8 hours to do (not all in one sitting though, I'm not that much of a nerd). Jeez Louise, lets start this train wreak of an episode. :D

The episode just started and right here, the first lines spoken are edited. I noticed people in real life or actually in North America I should say, never call their brother or sister by that role. It's usually a Japanese thing that gets translated over. It always sounds so fake to me.

Soon after, Goku says that he's terrified to which Raditz replies...

I had to fight the urge to make a video of this scene and having Ned Flanders pop up in a little bubble next to Goku saying "Nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all...". I might have to actually make that now.

Goku, Piccolo and Raditz go at it for a while and at some point Raditz fires a blast at the duo. Goku lands on the floor and some dialogue and blood is edited. I had to make a split screen thing for this since it's two, two TWO edits in one!

Goku yells to Piccolo "Piccolo are you OK?!". Piccolo tells Goku he's fine. Just dandy, I mean his arm just got blown off, but it's OK it's just a normal day for Piccolo apparently. Oh and Piccolo's blood drippings are edited out...

I never understood the blood drops getting edited out but keeping the puddle of blood. I don't know I'm sure it's some kind of technical thing. Oh well, Then Raditz chimes in with...

A few moments later...

After Goku distracts Raditz, Piccolo has charged up enough energy to finally fire his mysterious new attack...

The attack fails and Raditz is now ready to finish off Piccolo. I always thought it was odd what Piccolo does here. He just puts his fist up to his forehead to protect himself. I would have loved to see Raditz go through with this move and Piccolo deflect it with a fist to the forehead...

Goku grabs Raditz's tail. Raditz convinces Goku to let go and finally he does. Raditz punches Goku on in the face (not edited), Goku flies back onto the floor and Raditz jumps on top of his chest. The scene where Raditz actually lands on Goku's chest is cut. We only see him fly towards Goku, then the next scene he's already standing on top of him.

Piccolo thinks to himself if he should try to hit Raditz with that same attack again... (yes, the word bubbles are different, I finished this whole post then re-watched the episode to see if I missed anything, and I missed this one little tiny thing. I didn't wanna go crazy with the graphics or anything so I just did a quick MS Paint job.)

Spoiler alert! The baby saves everyone.

So Gohan flies out of the spaceship he was being held in and flies towards Raditz at super fast speed cracking Raditz armor and crushing his pride. Soon after Raditz slaps Gohan. This was cut.

Raditz starts to walk towards Gohan. Goku realizing what's about to happen begs Raditz to stop cause he's just a child. Just a regular, self propelling at torpedo speed child...

Raditz stands over Gohan, about to blast him to atoms...

But just then, Goku grabs Raditz and tells Piccolo to fire that attack again!

At this point, Piccolo fires the blast. In this TV version he yells out "Special Beam Canon" again. I guess that's going to be the norm.

Here is how it played out in the uncut version...

And here is how it looked in the TV Version...

So yea, some things here and there. Some blood edits, some edits for content. Some scenes are just placed in different areas.

They both land on the ground, minutes away from death. All the blood on Goku and Raditz's face and body are edited out during these scenes along with some dialogue...

Piccolo then tells Raditz that they'll have the last laugh and goes into great detail about what the DragonBalls are and what you have to do in order to grant a wish...

And Raditz is all like yea, I got friends home slice...

And Piccolo is all like BAM! Your dead!

Next, we see the Saiyans Raditz was talking about. In the original version Vegeta starts off biting some meat off that leg he's been eating. But in the TV version it's cut out, it just starts right after he bites it off.

Back on Earth, we see Goku about to die... ( I really tried to squeeze those words in that bubble folks! I made the bubble to small but saved it onto the screen shot so I didn't wanna go back, take the picture again, make a bubble and write in it. So that's why it looks like that)

Goku dies as Krillin is talking to him. Now, in the TV version we don't see any shots of Goku after he closes his eyes and dies. This actually interferes with a line of dialogue that just so happens to get cut out because of this. What happens is Krillin tells Goku that they're gonna get the DragonBalls and wish him back. Goku, faintly seas "sounds.... (Goku closes his eyes and says) ... good (then he dies). So because we don't see anything past Goku closing his eyes Goku only says "sounds....". I guess this works... as it implies Goku actually did die without showing him dying or it could just be a sloppy edit. Either way, I wouldn't wanna be the tiger.

Tidbits!

In today's Tidbit section, I'm going to show you how all this comes together and how I check the episode for edits.

You're probably going to think I'm crazy but I watch both versions at the same time. It's really the only way to see what's different in the two versions, especially audio edits. I have the edited version playing on the left, the uncut version playing on the right and on top of the screen is an open Word document so I can jot down differences in the script or make notes about the edits. This is what it looks like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFUMrXEP25o

When I get to something that is different, I pause the videos and write it down or make a screen capture, what ever is needed for that particular edit. Once I have all my notes and all my screen shots I then go to my notes and see what dialogue I have to put to what screen shot. I have a program that makes the word bubbles and stuff like that. So I just place them where I want. Since the program is kind of assy, I have to take the screen shot with the word bubbles on them and put them in MS Paint to add the text.

After all that is done, I upload all my images to Photobucket. Then when I go to write the post I play the episode AGAIN, this time pausing it as I go so that I can watch a little bit, find the corresponding images, write something about it, and move onto the next scene and so on...

I started doing this episode at 11:30 AM took a break from 1:00 - 3:00, came back did some more until about 6:00, took a break continued at 8:00 and I now finished at 11:15 PM! Holy bajeezus. But it's OK, I love doing this and I'm off from work this week with absolutely nothing to do! :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.