DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai) Edits!

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:58 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:Another edit was after Nappa blew up that whole town when Earth was shown (or a bit before that) they had a woman groan for a second.
I didn't catch that one then again it had been a while since I had seen that episode.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Please tell me somebody is saving these things. I'm going to need a good laugh in five or ten years. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ishtar318
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ishtar318 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Please tell me somebody is saving these things. I'm going to need a good laugh in five or ten years. :p
Same here. I can't really watch Kai on Toonzai while at school, since my roommate is sleeping in and stuff usually, so I would love it if someone could record the 4kids version and post a video compilation of all the changes they made. 4kids.tv still only has the first 4 episodes.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Please tell me somebody is saving these things. I'm going to need a good laugh in five or ten years. :p

Woah, thinking 5 years in the future for laughs is pretty deep.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Budogenkai wrote:

You can blame high school for teaching me an appreciation for history. ;p

I still poke around Dragon Ball Z Uncensored every once in a while to look out how the times have changes. :p
She/Her
bisexual milf

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Budogenkai wrote:

I still poke around Dragon Ball Z Uncensored every once in a while to look out how the times have changes. :p

EDIT: Oh, hi there YouTube videos of edits.

Yamcha's Death; Chaozu's Death.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Wow, those edits are really... weird. Maybe it's just because of what I'm used to, but I have to say, in terms of "hiding death," which is what I assume they were trying to do, the '96 version did a much better job. Considering that this new version seems to be consistently censored much stricter than this, I just don't get what they were trying to accomplish here. Yeah, Yamucha's groaning... but only for the first ten seconds. After that, he stops, and I can't see how anyone would mistake the scene for anything but Kuririn hanging over Yamucha's corpse. Just painting over the body entirely, while much more intrusive, seems to make more sense.

Chaozu's is even more confusing. I'm not exactly sure how deleting all of his last words accomplishes anything. I mean, we've established that they go... somewhere, be it to the Next Dimension of Other World, and he does disappear afterwards, so why not let him say goodbye? And the sparkles just... what? Why? Maybe it's just my twisted sense of humor, but the sparkles make it seem more violent, as I watch that scene and interpret the sparkles as the glowing remains of Chaozu's body raining down on the spectators. What else could it possibly be? Hopefully Tenshinhan kept his mouth closed.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Budogenkai wrote:

EDIT: Oh, hi there YouTube videos of edits.

Yamcha's Death; Chaozu's Death.
I don't care too much about the edited version because I'll be getting the uncut version, but do they seriously think by adding in groans that that's going to adequately hide death? What about when they put Yamcha's body into a coffin? Or when Goku buries Vegeta? In both of those instances, I can imagine (either Yamcha or Vegeta) being like, "H...hey wait...I'm still...W...WAIT...NO...!"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:36 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Maybe it's just my twisted sense of humor, but the sparkles make it seem more violent, as I watch that scene and interpret the sparkles as the glowing remains of Chaozu's body raining down on the spectators. What else could it possibly be? Hopefully Tenshinhan kept his mouth closed.
To me, Chaotzu's death in the 4Kids edit actually made some sense in real life standards. Don't you usually see sparkles after an explosion? Because I usually do. :|
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

Cootie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Cootie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:47 pm

I really don't understand the sparkles. How did that make it seem like he was any less dead? It just seemed like an a dumb move and a waste of time. I don't really see how adding sparkles made it seem like he didn't just explode. :|
"It just says dear Freeza... and then theres a picture of a butt"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:What about when they put Yamcha's body into a coffin?
It's almost guaranteed that whole scene will be cut out.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Or when Goku buries Vegeta? In both of those instances, I can imagine (either Yamcha or Vegeta) being like, "H...hey wait...I'm still...W...WAIT...NO...!"
I'm guessing the burial scene will be cut out, along with the "laser through the heart" scene, and Goku will probably say "I hope he wakes up soon..."
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 am

Nah. He'll probably say, "After I put Vegeta in the ground and cover him with dirt, Freeza won't be allowed to hurt him anymore. Those are the rules, don'tchaknow?"
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:40 am

Ishtar318 wrote:
Same here. I can't really watch Kai on Toonzai while at school, since my roommate is sleeping in and stuff usually, so I would love it if someone could record the 4kids version and post a video compilation of all the changes they made. 4kids.tv still only has the first 4 episodes.
Ha. I should get my buddy Mike Toole on the phone. This could be great fodder for his "Dubs That Time Forgot" panels.

(We've already lost the Eyeshield 21 English dub (the short-lived, heavily edited dub that was on Toonami Jetstream for all of 2 seconds); I'd hate to see other such things dissipate into the ether! :) )
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 am

JulieYBM wrote:Chaozu's Death.
Boom! Like happy festival fireworks!

At least they used "other world", instead of "next dimension".

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:56 am

Happy festival fireworks? Way to be sensitive there, Wakka. :wink:

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:20 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Happy festival fireworks? Way to be sensitive there, Wakka. :wink:
Hey! It was the first thing that popped into my mind. :P

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:21 am

Ya know, now that I'm thinking about it, I almost like Chiaotzu's death better (IN ONE VERY SPECIFIC WAY) than the original death. I kind of like how they muted his dialogue. The scene seemed more...intense, almost. Like he's not directly giving away what he's going to do, but you slowly get this sinking feeling of, "Oh God, he's going to blow himself up." Plus Tenshinhan's dialogue sounds more emotionally weighted because he's putting it together for himself what's about to happen............and then the sparkles totally ruin it. So overall I'll go with the original version of the scene, but I think part of it is more intense since they muted out the dialogue.

And now that I'm thinking about it, that's probably how they're going to handle Krillin's death when Goku goes Super Saiyan.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:59 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:And now that I'm thinking about it, that's probably how they're going to handle Krillin's death when Goku goes Super Saiyan.
Freeza: Hee hee!
Krillin: Argh!
*boom*
Goku: Oh no! He disappeared! Freeza what'd you do!
Freeza: I sent him back to the other side of the planet, and he'll never find his way back! Haha!
Goku: Nooooooooo!! *transform*

:wink:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:Freeza: Hee hee!
Krillin: Argh!
*boom*
Goku: Oh no! He disappeared! Freeza what'd you do!
Freeza: I sent him back to the other side of the planet, and he'll never find his way back! Haha!
Goku: Nooooooooo!! *transform*

:wink:
That would be hilarious if that really happened. The only reason why I am watching Dragon Ball Kai on CW4Kids is because I want to see all these hilarious edits and I can actually watch it on TV.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 am

Choutzu's death had me laughing so hard. I love the sparkles. What on Earth was that supposed to mean? I just hope we'll get some more sparkles when Vegeta blows up Cui, or even when Vegeta blows up Nappa. Thanks to everyone who reports in with these.

Edit: Did Nappa get away with blowing up the city with people in it?