DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Hades wrote:I thought that Saban had gone under a few years ago.
It never went under, it just stopped doing business...for a while. Essentially, Saban--not Saban the company, but Saban the guy....----

*SOUND OF RECORD SCRATCHING*

Okay, this could potentially get confusing if I don't take the effort to clear some things up. There are two instances of "Saban" here. The first is referring to the actual company, which has gone under a couple different names--Saban Entertainment, Saban Capital Group, and Saban Brands. For short, we'll just call the name of the company in question, "Saban." The other instance of "Saban" is referring to the owner, Haim Saban, whom the company is named after. So I'll be referring to the man as "Haim" to avoid confusion.

Anyways. Saban never "went under." Haim sold Saban and all of its properties to Disney in 2001, and he still holds the world record for the largest financial transaction between a corporation and a private citizen. It made him an overnight billionaire, who already had millions to his name. Haim's real dream was to enter politics, particularly with regard to support for Israel. However, considering all the money that Haim had, he wasn't really able to start a political career of any significance. For that reason, around the 2010/2011 area, he decided he wanted to get back into the entertainment business, and formed a new corporation called "Saban Brands" (which, again to avoid confusion, will be referred to as "Saban"). The newly-formed Saban then purchased several properties, most notably the rights to all previous "Power Rangers" series, and the rights to the new one that's currently airing, "Power Rangers Samurai."

So he literally bought "Power Rangers" back in the early nineties, sold it, and then bought it back ten years later. On a slightly unrelated note, how unbelievably rich must you be if you decide to sell an entire property like "Power Rangers" only to turn around and go, "Eh.....y'know, on second thought, I don't think that was a good idea. Oh well, I'll just buy it back."

In any event, Saban has been back for a few years now, and they've apparently been looking to add more shows to their lineup. "Yu-Gi-Oh" should be a pretty good match for them business-wise considering the company's history. Again, though, this isn't good news for fans of the original Japanese versions. With 4Kids we at least had a way to legally watch the subtitled version, and we may not have that now.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:56 pm

It sure would be stupid if they never air any episodes past Freeza. First Kai ends the series at the Cell arc and now this. At least give the people a complete product.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:37 pm

I hope Saban can tone down the censorship if he does buy the Cell Saga for Toonzai.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri May 18, 2012 8:43 am

VegettoEX wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Doesn't Saban own DBZ Ocean Dub?
No. Saban was merely the syndication partner to work with networks to get the show on the air. FUNimation has always been the company in exclusive control over the anime since 1994.

Saban made certain requests in terms of editing before they would agree to sell the show to networks (and obviously their ties with Shuki Levy came into play in terms of music production), but it's not as if they actually produced the show themselves -- it was always FUNimation.

"The Saban dub" and "the Ocean dub" are misleading, almost-meaningless categorizations because it was always FUNimation in charge. Saban is not even directly credited for anything:

Image Image Image

Their (Saban's) own logo/splash may have played after an episode aired through its entire credits back in 1996-1998, but I don't remember for sure. Regardless, they don't "own" the show. We don't know what their contract allowed for, especially past 1998 when the show moved to Toonami, but even that's a confusing situation -- there was a short period of time when local channels started playing the first two seasons again after it got popular on Toonami, but it never moved past those two seasons (since FUNimation obviously produced "season three" onward in-house with no involvement from Saban and struck their own deal with Cartoon Network).

That's also Westwood dub as well. When FUNimation began airing DBZ episode 54 in Canada/UK, CRTC's laws mandated Canadian content as DB/Z/GT were recorded at Ocean in Vancouver, BC. They dubbed 123-291 there in 2000, but would go on to do DB and DBGT around 2002-ish when the recorded at Blue Water via Chinook in Calgary, AB. The Westwood dub is aired in Canada, UK while the FUNimation dub aired in US (although Canada gets the DVDs).

Quick question: will a recording studio in either Toronto or Vancouver dub DBZKai via Westwood in a same way in 2000? I hope they either keep the score or reuse some music again like Megaman otherwise recompose the score again. 8) :lol:
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri May 18, 2012 8:48 am

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Quick question: will a recording studio in either Toronto or Vancouver dub DBZKai via Westwood in a same way in 2000?
It's possible but we have no exact information on who exactly contracted Ocean to dub Kai.
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:I hope they either keep the score or reuse some music again like Megaman otherwise recompose the score again. 8) :lol:
There has been talk of a newly composed score.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Since there doesn't appear to be any more Toonzai episodes, and I got bored, I decided to make a theoretical edit on how they might have handled Frieza floating in space.

If they couldn't handle Gohan having a swollen eye, they weren't going to let Frieza float around without one.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed May 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Something tells me that if Toonzai airs the Jinzoningen arc, Jinzoningen #17 stabbing and crushing Geros head could be edited off in a similar move to Ghurd.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:28 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Something tells me that if Toonzai airs the Jinzoningen arc, Jinzoningen #17 stabbing and crushing Geros head could be edited off in a similar move to Ghurd.
I guess it's going to be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCtg7Fgh8I#t=27s

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Wed May 30, 2012 10:05 pm

kei17 wrote: I guess it's going to be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCtg7Fgh8I#t=27s
That looks about right.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 30, 2012 10:10 pm

kei17 wrote:I guess it's going to be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCtg7Fgh8I#t=27s
I'd say they'd go right for No. 17's head crush noise than show getting stabbed or kick Dr. Gero's head like a football.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Wed May 30, 2012 10:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: I'd say they'd go right for No. 17's head crush noise than show getting stabbed or kick Dr. Gero's head like a football.
Well, the Nicktoons version didn't have him getting stabbed, either, but they retained the head kicking, for the most part.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:13 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:Since there doesn't appear to be any more Toonzai episodes, and I got bored, I decided to make a theoretical edit on how they might have handled Freeza floating in space.

If they couldn't handle Gohan having a swollen eye, they weren't going to let Freeza float around without one.

No... too well done. :lol:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:No... too well done. :lol:
Agreed.

Yeah, that looks about right.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Son Geeko wrote: Yeah, that looks about right.
Looks like a 5 year old made it in MS Paint. Yep, that's 4-kids.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:23 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Son Geeko wrote: Yeah, that looks about right.
Looks like a 5 year old made it in MS Paint. Yep, that's 4-kids.
Some of the new animated scenes in Kai still make me wonder if they were done in MS Paint or not, it just looks so.. Unfitting and inconsistent with the next up animation (original).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Oh and Saban owns the 4Kids block now.

http://blog.samuraicast.com/rangercrew- ... megaforce/

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Some of the new animated scenes in Kai still make me wonder if they were done in MS Paint or not, it just looks so.. Unfitting and inconsistent with the next up animation (original).
Nah, that would require them to do it from scratch. More likely, they fired up Photoshop and just used the smudge tool to make it look smoother. Of course, they didn't put any effort into maintaining the details on the characters.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 am

4Kids DBZ Kai homepage seems to be broken with Episode 02 that plays automatically as it has no audio, at least here, of course.

http://www.4kids.tv/show/dragon-ball-z-kai

Meh, they still haven't released anything beyond Frieza's arc. :|

I'm curious how their Mecha Frieza Vs. Future Trunks would be like, I've seen some homemade "Toonzai cuts" on YouTube but I'd prefer the real thing.

Btw, they have episodes with Yamamoto's music, kewl! :lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:4Kids DBZ Kai homepage seems to be broken with Episode 02 that plays automatically as it has no audio, at least here, of course.

Wow, surprisingly, I can watch these videos. I wonder why they stopped blocking them.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:22 pm

kei17 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:4Kids DBZ Kai homepage seems to be broken with Episode 02 that plays automatically as it has no audio, at least here, of course.

Wow, surprisingly, I can watch these videos. I wonder why they stopped blocking them.
I'm sure it's only a matter of time...