DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 am

Well, episode one just aired and it became apparent that yes, the show is going to be edited even more. So I suppose just like there is a thread about the Nicktoons edits, there should be one for the network version. I'm not gonna go crazy like I did in the Nicktoons guide I did. But, at least we should have a place to discuss the edits in this version too.

Edit 1:In the prologue, there was a scene where Bardock punches some random guy from Freeza's army. This shot was zoomed in so that you couldn't really see the hit.

Edit 2: When Raditz lands on Earth and the farmer shoots him, there are two edits. The first is the gun blast sound is edited so that it doesn't sound like a shot gun, the second is the bullet itself. It was re-colored a neon blue color!

Edit 3: When Bulma lands on Roshi's island, the first shot of Master Roshi sitting is zoomed in so that you can't see what Roshi is holding. The beer is edited out anyway, why cut the mug out?!

Edit 4: When Krillin asks Bulma what happened to Yamcha. In the Nicktoons version "jerk" was changed to "idiot", in this version though, she dosen't call him anything.

Also, since I didn't put "Tanooki" in the title. Anyone can post these additional edits! So if there is more than this, feel free to post them, this is just what I noticed. It'll be a group effort. :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:15 am, edited 11 times in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version Edits!

Post by Tsukento » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:37 am

The cocking of his gun was also silenced.

Also, they replaced the next episode preview with one that acts sort of like a moving comic book.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version Edits!

Post by Vegeta1056 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:56 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Edit 2: When Raditz lands on Earth and the farmer shoots him, there are two edits. The first is the gun blast sound is edited so that it doesn't sound like a shot gun, the second is the bullet itself. It was re-colored a neon blue color!
Best edit of the episode. :lol:

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai) Edits!

Post by Soul » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:21 am

The farmer didn't die I believe, he was groaning after Raditz ricocheted the bullet.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:47 am

Soul wrote:The farmer didn't die I believe, he was groaning after Raditz ricocheted the laser.
Fixed that for you. :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Soul wrote:The farmer didn't die I believe, he was groaning after Raditz ricocheted the laser.
That was in the Nicktoons version to I believe.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:28 pm

They edited the foam on Roshi's drink out of the CW version, which the Nicktoons version kept. I think that's why they zoomed in the first shot of Roshi to not show his drink, it would be easier then editing out the foam.
­

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:49 am

So, it has begun............

Farmer with laser gun, FTW!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:58 am

It would be amazing if someone would put up clips :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 am

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:42 am

So the only way we can watch this is if we have CW4kids/Toonzai? Darn, I was hoping they'd do what Nicktoons did and put it up on their website. Still, at least now I don't have to watch the series over AGAIN...

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:00 am

If you live in the US, you should have zero issues as it's a syndicated network. No need for cable or anything.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:39 am

... I love how Raditz catches the laser and holds it in his hand before flicking it back at the farmer.

Sketch

Post by Sketch » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:21 am

Oh good lord, that gun edit is like One Piece all over again. This will surely be just the first of many incredibly laughable edits. Which I mostly understand given the FCC but Nicktoons should be playing it with less edits than they do if this airing will have even more edits. I'm also curious who might have edited this one. Ocean Group again or perhaps 4Kids.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 am

Tsukento wrote:If you live in the US, you should have zero issues as it's a syndicated network. No need for cable or anything.
Not for my area. The only childrens networks where I live are Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and the Disney Channel.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:08 pm

So Raditz caught a laser that was shaped much like a bullet. First off, that ups Raditz's badass points.

However, while I understand the edits are necessary to get it on network television, it pains me to think that whoever calls for them believes kids are really that stupid. Honestly? You don't think anyone's going to notice it looks like a bullet? Oye.

Oh well, at least we're not in the age of edited-only DVDs anymore - at least when it comes to this show.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Tsukento wrote:Only thing I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmDQoFbg3_s
Sounded like a Poké-ball.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 pm

batistabus wrote:
Tsukento wrote:If you live in the US, you should have zero issues as it's a syndicated network. No need for cable or anything.
Not for my area. The only childrens networks where I live are Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and the Disney Channel.
It's not a children's network though, it's WB's channel, the WB/CW. It's just a children's block on said channel.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Mewzard wrote:
batistabus wrote:
It's not a children's network though, it's WB's channel, the WB/CW. It's just a children's block on said channel.
I doubt the affliates are going to allow the show to air uncut at ten in the morning.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Personally, I don't get the logic behind editing even more content just because it's a free, syndicated network as opposed to a premium cable network (which is to say, Nicktoons). I mean, they're both rated Y-7, but for some reason the freely-available network is edited more. Did they do the research and figure out that kids whose parents pay for premium cable networks are less susceptible to moral corruption and can therefore handle more?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."