DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:30 pm

At this rate, I bet kids will start losing interest in Kai on Toonzai now that it's repeating itself AGAIN.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 am

Gonstead wrote:At this rate, I bet kids will start losing interest in Kai on Toonzai now that it's repeating itself AGAIN.
That's certainly possible, but it might also RAISE interest because they will become so elated when new episodes come out. That's what happened while I was waiting for Season 3 to air on Cartoon Network as a kid.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Gonstead wrote:At this rate, I bet kids will start losing interest in Kai on Toonzai now that it's repeating itself AGAIN.
Kai's repeat ratings are actually very steady, and solid. Obviously they'd be better with new episodes, but hey.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

4Kids needs time to do all the edits, i.e, remove blood, meanie script, halos, meat pieces, etc.

It'll be funny to see their edits.

They tried to give Gohan a "normal" eye and ended up being a special needs child. :lol:
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I have to wonder if the network executives are just hesitant to air past the Namek saga at all. They ver well could have chosen to cut Kai off there due to content, though I should hope not.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Today they aired episodes 1 and 2... again. I wonder when they'll get new episodes, the series is long finished on Nicktoons.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:43 am

How long has it been since they aired a "new episode"?
So mondo lame.

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:23 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:How long has it been since they aired a "new episode"?
I'm thinking the May/June/July 2011 area.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:00 am

Luckily Toonzai got themselves the temporary replacement score for one of their episodes (or more, I dunno).

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_2cXLr8MQI

What a shame Toonzai doesn't have all episodes from Saiyan to Freeza's arc. :(
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Apparently 4Kids! sold Yu-Gi-Oh!. Here's the sales agreements thing, but this part jumped out at me.
(ddd) “Library Assets” means (i) 26 episodes of Cubix; (ii) 52 episodes of Viva
Pinata; and (iii) 52 episodes of Dragon Ball Z, each episode of which is listed on Schedule
2.1(p).
I guess that explains no new episodes.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Dragon Ball Z? Don't they mean Dragon Ball Z Kai?

52 more episodes of Z Kai? It doesn't add up, Kai ends with episode 97 (98 as a bonus).

If they're gonna toy around with the old DBZ dub it's gonna be hilarious. :lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 pm

They mean the 52 that they already have.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Man I hope Saban gets a wild hair up their ass and releases uncut Yugioh, if only to show how that Yugioh uncensored guy and his Hong Kong subtitles had no clue what they were talking about. If I never hear that wildly innacurate "Season 0" spheel again it will be too soon.

I find it hilarious that Saban has their old DBZ episodes again. I'm picturing a huge Acme machine that sends your garbage around the world for years only to bypass the dump and drop it back into your lap.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:Man I hope Saban gets a wild hair up their ass and releases uncut Yugioh, if only to show how that Yugioh uncensored guy and his Hong Kong subtitles had no clue what they were talking about. If I never hear that wildly innacurate "Season 0" spheel again it will be too soon.
Don't suppose I should mention that 4Kids did indeed release uncut Yugioh on Hulu, but only 5D's and Zexal due to licensing issues with Yugi's VA.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 am

Puto wrote:
Akumaito Beam wrote:Man I hope Saban gets a wild hair up their ass and releases uncut Yugioh, if only to show how that Yugioh uncensored guy and his Hong Kong subtitles had no clue what they were talking about. If I never hear that wildly innacurate "Season 0" spheel again it will be too soon.
Don't suppose I should mention that 4Kids did indeed release uncut Yugioh on Hulu, but only 5D's and Zexal due to licensing issues with Yugi's VA.
I hope Season 0 gets released, as that was my favorite season. Watching two people play card games every episode gets boring. That is why Season 0 was my favorite part of the manga.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:24 pm

What people call "Season 0" is an entirely different series, which wasn't even done by the same company. And since Toei don't have the rights to Yugioh anymore, that series will never, ever see the light of day again.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:16 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Dragon Ball Z? Don't they mean Dragon Ball Z Kai?

52 more episodes of Z Kai? It doesn't add up, Kai ends with episode 97 (98 as a bonus).

If they're gonna toy around with the old DBZ dub it's gonna be hilarious. :lol:
Well...I thought they meant Kai too...but apparently they don't mean Kai. According to this report on Anime News Network...

"The proposed sale also includes the sale of rights relating to the Dragon Ball Z series, including 52 episodes of the television show, as well as the company's rights relating to Dragon Ball Z Kai. The closing date for the sale described in the agreement is June 30, 2012."

The other interesting thing to note is that, while nothing has been finalized just yet, the new company who will likely own the rights, a company called KidsCo Media, appears to be another front for Saban. So Saban will soon own "Power Rangers," "Yu-Gi-Oh," and...somewhat ironically...a few episodes of DBZ. Again.

I wish I could be excited about this, but I'm not. I would have loved uncut dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh (including the nine-episode one that 4Kids produced many years ago), which is why I was hoping FUNimation or Viz would get it. However, having 4Kids own it still wasn't terrible, because a few years ago they began releasing the subtitled version on Hulu. With 4Kids, we at least had a way to watch the subtitled version. I have no idea if KidsCo is going to do the same, but if Saban's track record is anything to go by...then I think we just lost the only legal way of watching subtitled versions of some shows.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:35 pm

I thought that Saban had gone under a few years ago.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Doesn't Saban own DBZ Ocean Dub?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:44 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Doesn't Saban own DBZ Ocean Dub?
No. Saban was merely the syndication partner to work with networks to get the show on the air. FUNimation has always been the company in exclusive control over the anime since 1994.

Saban made certain requests in terms of editing before they would agree to sell the show to networks (and obviously their ties with Shuki Levy came into play in terms of music production), but it's not as if they actually produced the show themselves -- it was always FUNimation.

"The Saban dub" and "the Ocean dub" are misleading, almost-meaningless categorizations because it was always FUNimation in charge. Saban is not even directly credited for anything:

Image Image Image

Their (Saban's) own logo/splash may have played after an episode aired through its entire credits back in 1996-1998, but I don't remember for sure. Regardless, they don't "own" the show. We don't know what their contract allowed for, especially past 1998 when the show moved to Toonami, but even that's a confusing situation -- there was a short period of time when local channels started playing the first two seasons again after it got popular on Toonami, but it never moved past those two seasons (since FUNimation obviously produced "season three" onward in-house with no involvement from Saban and struck their own deal with Cartoon Network).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::