DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Vegeta1056 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Saban now owns the CW4Kids/Toonzai block, and all of 4Kids assets. I don't know how important this could be to the block, or if it will affect DBZKai but we'll see where the show goes from there. I personally feel that it could be good news, but again lets wait and see.
User avatar
Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:12 pm
Location: United States

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby MetroidJunkie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Vegeta1056 wrote:Saban now owns the CW4Kids/Toonzai block, and all of 4Kids assets. I don't know how important this could be to the block, or if it will affect DBZKai but we'll see where the show goes from there. I personally feel that it could be good news, but again lets wait and see.


Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:
MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Innagadadavida » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 am

MetroidJunkie wrote:Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:

... What?
User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
MetroidJunkie wrote:Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:

... What?

One of the edits from the ye olde 1996 dub was erasing Gohan's tears.
Image
User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby MetroidJunkie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
MetroidJunkie wrote:Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:

... What?


The pic Pokewhiz7 posted. You think that's bad? They even censored out an imagination bubble.

Image

4-kids DID make edits Saban didn't, like farmer with shotgun, halos, and turning Mr.Popo blue but, overall, Saban's dubs were definitely far more nonsensical. It's like he was censoring things to reach a quota.
MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am

Vegeta1056 wrote:Saban now owns the CW4Kids/Toonzai block, and all of 4Kids assets. I don't know how important this could be to the block, or if it will affect DBZKai but we'll see where the show goes from there. I personally feel that it could be good news, but again lets wait and see.


Well, not yet. That's is how it will probably turn out, but this ANN article says that other companies could still technically get the rights to the "Yu-Gi-Oh" series. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is anything but good news. A few years ago, 4Kids started posting professionally-subtitled versions of the original Japanese episodes of their properties. Saban, at least of this writing, doesn't do that. So we may have lost the only way to legally watch the "Yu-Gi-Oh" franchise subtitled. Not to mention other series.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."
User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
 
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby MetroidJunkie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:19 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well, not yet. That's is how it will probably turn out, but this ANN article says that other companies could still technically get the rights to the "Yu-Gi-Oh" series. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is anything but good news. A few years ago, 4Kids started posting professionally-subtitled versions of the original Japanese episodes of their properties. Saban, at least of this writing, doesn't do that. So we may have lost the only way to legally watch the "Yu-Gi-Oh" franchise subtitled. Not to mention other series.


Well, if either Funimation or ViZ actually managed to get a hold of it, atleast it would probably have a decent enough dub that most people wouldn't need a subtitled version.
MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Vegeta1056 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Vegeta1056 wrote:Saban now owns the CW4Kids/Toonzai block, and all of 4Kids assets. I don't know how important this could be to the block, or if it will affect DBZKai but we'll see where the show goes from there. I personally feel that it could be good news, but again lets wait and see.


Well, not yet. That's is how it will probably turn out, but this ANN article says that other companies could still technically get the rights to the "Yu-Gi-Oh" series. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is anything but good news. A few years ago, 4Kids started posting professionally-subtitled versions of the original Japanese episodes of their properties. Saban, at least of this writing, doesn't do that. So we may have lost the only way to legally watch the "Yu-Gi-Oh" franchise subtitled. Not to mention other series.

I beg to differ. Read down to the 4Kids section in this article: http://blog.samuraicast.com/rangercrew- ... megaforce/

Also you guys do know FUNimation did the editing and not Saban right? XD
User avatar
Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:12 pm
Location: United States

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:24 am

Vegeta1056 wrote:Also you guys do know FUNimation did the editing and not Saban right? XD


Wasn't Saban telling them to do it, though? They blamed the FCC but then later admitted they were forced to edit it beyond what the FCC would've required.
MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:
MetroidJunkie wrote:Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:

... What?


The pic Pokewhiz7 posted. You think that's bad? They even censored out an imagination bubble.

Image

Zwonks! Children might get influenced to think and children aren't supposed to think. -Saban
User avatar
DBZAOTA482
I Live Here
 
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby kei17 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:19 am

I got some episodes of the Toonzai version thanks to Takarajima. I noticed that they screwed up Ginyu Force's introduction scene during the process of music replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0SzaLnRBI
DO NOT ASK ME FOR RARE STUFF. I will ignore any PMs from anyone about it.

My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base

penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."
User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:55 am

Did they add some weird echoing effect to their voices also?
User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby kei17 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Did they add some weird echoing effect to their voices also?

Instead, they seem to have removed the center channel of the voices, so only echoing sounds were remained.
DO NOT ASK ME FOR RARE STUFF. I will ignore any PMs from anyone about it.

My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base

penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."
User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Gonstead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:23 am

kei17 wrote:I got some episodes of the Toonzai version thanks to Takarajima. I noticed that they screwed up Ginyu Force's introduction scene during the process of music replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0SzaLnRBI

This makes me want to see the Dub Ginyu Force with Tokusentai playing instead of Ginyu Force Rules.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

MyFigureCollection Profile
User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
 
Posts: 3237
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:11 am

Guys, i'm watching episode 31 of 52 now on TV. No wonder Toonzai / CW4Kds lacks episodes 53-97 (perhaps 98?) :oops: :roll: :| IMO, Toonzai has way more commercials than like Nicktoons which the Japanese airs ads like 1-2 mins. I wonder that's gonna be stuck with KidsCo after the 4Kids split.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver Shenron | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Majhost | Instagram (follow @spvii_drfresh26 on iOS/Android devices)
User avatar
SilverPlaqueVII
Regular
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Toronto, ON | Sparta-ville

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:26 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Guys, i'm watching episode 31 of 52 now on TV. No wonder Toonzai / CW4Kds lacks episodes 53-97 (perhaps 98?) :oops: :roll: :| IMO, Toonzai has way more commercials than like Nicktoons which the Japanese airs ads like 1-2 mins. I wonder that's gonna be stuck with KidsCo after the 4Kids split.


I don't want to speak for certain having never actually watched a show while in Japan...'cause I've, 'ya know, never been to Japan...but I don't see how it's possible that they could only have a 1-2 minute advertising block. DBZ (and by extension, Kai) episodes are still 20-22 minutes long. I was under the impression that they had programming blocks in increments of half-hours like us, it's just that their commercial structure is such that rather than having three commercial breaks scattered throughout a half-hour show, they have only have one giant 8-10 minute commercial break that happens halfway through an episode.

I could be wrong, of course, and if I am, someone feel free to correct me, but that's how I thought it was. I would prefer one giant commercial break over a bunch of smaller ones, personally. Less interruptions, and the one interruption there is would act as an intermission of sorts to go get a snack or take care of other small matters.

EDIT: Wait a minute...did you mean that they have the same amount of adverting time, but that each individual commercial is 1-2 minutes long? That could be, I wouldn't know.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."
User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
 
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby theawesomepossum777 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Gonstead wrote:
kei17 wrote:I got some episodes of the Toonzai version thanks to Takarajima. I noticed that they screwed up Ginyu Force's introduction scene during the process of music replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0SzaLnRBI

This makes me want to see the Dub Ginyu Force with Tokusentai playing instead of Ginyu Force Rules.


But really, who would screw the music replacement so bad that both the English and Japanese versions of the song are playing at the same time? It sounds so weird...
User avatar
theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 pm

I hope Saban will give DBZKai tons of promotion!
Cure Dragon 255
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby [SP] » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:25 am

I just found out that 4kids' DBZ Kai Episode Section isn't region locked... So I, as an Australian that does not get the CW overseas, sat and watched a couple episodes... And I must say, it is hilarious how many further cuts the script gets to remove any references to death, and even the obscure allusions are cut...
And also, Blue Popo is ... uh, quite something!
User avatar
[SP]
Not-So-Newbie
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: Australia (Not the Space kind.)

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Postby Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 pm

I really hope Saban will buy the Second Season of DBZKai.
Cure Dragon 255
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Dragon Ball Kai

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests