Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:46 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think I've lost all hope on the chances of this dub ever airing. What a shame. I so wanted Ocean to prove to some of the DB fanbase that they're truly talented, but it doesn't seem it'll ever happen.
I think they already proved that they were talented back in the early Saban/Pioneer dub days. It's the Westwood dub that damaged their reputation among the fanbase. Had Ocean Kai aired and turned out to be good it could have been seen as something of a redemption for them, even though the way the Westwood dub turned out wasn't entirely the fault of the actors.
Even back in the Saban days, they had a mixed reputation among the fanbase, but at least they have other cartoons and anime dubs where their talents shine. But let's face it: I don't think there's something universally loved.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 pm

I mean there is always the chance one day someone will air it, they might not have a show to air and one day one exuc might be like "I may have something, there was a show that was recorded but never aired it is ready to go", "Brilliant lets air that then. "Okay I will make some phone calls". As-long as the dub isn't destroyed there is always the chance.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:16 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think I've lost all hope on the chances of this dub ever airing. What a shame. I so wanted Ocean to prove to some of the DB fanbase that they're truly talented, but it doesn't seem it'll ever happen.
I think they already proved that they were talented back in the early Saban/Pioneer dub days. It's the Westwood dub that damaged their reputation among the fanbase. Had Ocean Kai aired and turned out to be good it could have been seen as something of a redemption for them, even though the way the Westwood dub turned out wasn't entirely the fault of the actors.
Even back in the Saban days, they had a mixed reputation among the fanbase, but at least they have other cartoons and anime dubs where their talents shine. But let's face it: I don't think there's something universally loved.
I think the main problem people have with the Ocean cast in the Saban dub of seasons 1 and 2 is the scripts they were given. The actual performances were phenomenal.

It's like the Star Wars prequels, you had great actors like Ewan McGregor and Jimmy Smits but the flaws with those movies are the scripts and direction, not the actors themselves.

But I agree, while I am holding out 0.01% faith that we will eventually (and finally) see this dub I do wish it could have happened already. The Pioneer trilogy was the Ocean cast's best work, and I would love to see another product like that where they give it their all and have good scripts to work with.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: I think they already proved that they were talented back in the early Saban/Pioneer dub days. It's the Westwood dub that damaged their reputation among the fanbase. Had Ocean Kai aired and turned out to be good it could have been seen as something of a redemption for them, even though the way the Westwood dub turned out wasn't entirely the fault of the actors.
I think the main problem people have with the Ocean cast in the Saban dub of seasons 1 and 2 is the scripts they were given. The actual performances were phenomenal.

It's like the Star Wars prequels, you had great actors like Ewan McGregor and Jimmy Smits but the flaws with those movies are the scripts and direction, not the actors themselves.

But I agree, while I am holding out 0.01% faith that we will eventually (and finally) see this dub I do wish it could have happened already. The Pioneer trilogy was the Ocean cast's best work, and I would love to see another product like that where they give it their all and have good scripts to work with.
Well, there were some bad performances like Matt Smith's Tien and some miscastings like Pauline Newstone's Frieza, but in the end, yeah, the other actors did great.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:14 pm

You know, guys. I'm seriously considering opening a Kickstarter for Ocean Kai and give the money to Teletoon for simply airing it.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Arian wrote:You know, guys. I'm seriously considering opening a Kickstarter for Ocean Kai and give the money to Teletoon for simply airing it.
You think that'd work?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:02 pm

It's worth a shot. I mean other Kickstarters achieved their goals for much dumber things. *cough*Veronica Mars movie*cough*

Plus fundraisers show better than petitions how badly the public wants something to happen.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:27 pm

How would you determine the Kickstarter's goal? And what if you reach the goal and the network still turns it down? What happens to the money you're given? You actually need the official parties involved to have a hand in the situation from the start, you can't gather a bunch of money and just say "Here, now do it."

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:How would you determine the Kickstarter's goal? And what if you reach the goal and the network still turns it down? What happens to the money you're given? You actually need the official parties involved to have a hand in the situation from the start, you can't gather a bunch of money and just say "Here, now do it."
I would refund the money to each contributor first and foremost. As for the determining the goal, you got me with that one. Maybe $20K?

If they were willing to talk to me, I would definitely involve them, but it's not surprising that Canadian children's networks are not very outgoing.

If we want this to happen, we have to do something outstanding and make an impression. Kickstarters and fundraisers in general do that.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Arian wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:How would you determine the Kickstarter's goal? And what if you reach the goal and the network still turns it down? What happens to the money you're given? You actually need the official parties involved to have a hand in the situation from the start, you can't gather a bunch of money and just say "Here, now do it."
I would refund the money to each contributor first and foremost. As for the determining the goal, you got me with that one. Maybe $20K?

If they were willing to talk to me, I would definitely involve them, but it's not surprising that Canadian children's networks are not very outgoing.

If we want this to happen, we have to do something outstanding and make an impression. Kickstarters and fundraisers in general do that.
I'm no expert, but wouldn't it take way more than $20,000 to make this? It's not exactly a small undertaking.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:14 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
Arian wrote:

I'm no expert, but wouldn't it take way more than $20,000 to make this? It's not exactly a small undertaking.
The dub has already been made and it's ready to go. It just has to air on one of these stubborn networks so that it may reach us.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Arian wrote: The dub has already been made and it's ready to go. It just has to air on one of these stubborn networks so that it may reach us.
Oh, that changes things :P
I would definitely try to make contact with the networks then.
Last edited by PelicanDynasty on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:45 pm

Until we know the company behind this dub and can contact them directly I wouldn't make any drastic moves. Successful crowdfunding projects usually only succeed if the creator already has a large enough platform to start with along with a large group of followers who are already willing to support the cause. Realistically, no individual Dragon Ball fan is going to be able to rally together a large enough group of people to care about a Canadian Dragon Ball dub, especially when large sections of the English speaking fandom are apathetic to Canadian DB dubs at best. If you actually went through with this and it ended up flopping (which is more than likely given the lack of online following) it would only make matters worse as the companies in charge might interpret that as a lack of interest which would only reaffirm their beliefs about the franchise and it's worth.

Most importantly, you'd have no goal for people to confidently donate to. As mentioned before, we have no idea which company holds the rights to this dub or who to show your progress to so that right there is going to diminish the support you get and kill your argument when trying to convince people to join the cause. Aside from all that there's also legal boundaries you'd most likely be crossing by choosing to unofficially represent the Dragon Ball brand and make money off it's name. I can't imagine Toei or Funimation would be too thrilled at that idea, they'd probably shut you down very quickly.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, I too want to see this dub but I also think it's important not to potentially jump the gun and get people excited when there's still no goal in sight.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:40 am

NitroEX wrote:Until we know the company behind this dub and can contact them directly I wouldn't make any drastic moves. Successful crowdfunding projects usually only succeed if the creator already has a large enough platform to start with along with a large group of followers who are already willing to support the cause. Realistically, no individual Dragon Ball fan is going to be able to rally together a large enough group of people to care about a Canadian Dragon Ball dub, especially when large sections of the English speaking fandom are apathetic to Canadian DB dubs at best. If you actually went through with this and it ended up flopping (which is more than likely given the lack of online following) it would only make matters worse as the companies in charge might interpret that as a lack of interest which would only reaffirm their beliefs about the franchise and it's worth.

Most importantly, you'd have no goal for people to confidently donate to. As mentioned before, we have no idea which company holds the rights to this dub or who to show your progress to so that right there is going to diminish the support you get and kill your argument when trying to convince people to join the cause. Aside from all that there's also legal boundaries you'd most likely be crossing by choosing to unofficially represent the Dragon Ball brand and e money off it's name. I can't imagine Toei or Funimation would be too thrilled at that idea, they'd probably shut you down very quickly.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, I too want to see this dub but I also think it's important not to potentially jump the gun and get people excited when there's still no goal in sight.
I know all of this, but we have to take some risks and jump in the pool if we want something to happen.

Clearly Ocean has control over this dub and Toei approved it, that's how it got made to begin with.

Here's how I look at it, if it flops, no harm done and we're in square one where we already are.

If it magically becomes something, perhaps it will convince those dunderheads that this has some desire to be seen and it might surface.

I don't know, I just thought that being interactive today would be better than moping about the unknown.

Here's the GoFundMe page for anyone who's interested: https://www.gofundme.com/dragon-ball-kai-on-teletoon

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:49 am

At this point, I don't think there's enough people that will truly care about another dub of Kai.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:03 am

Arian wrote:
NitroEX wrote:Until we know the company behind this dub and can contact them directly I wouldn't make any drastic moves. Successful crowdfunding projects usually only succeed if the creator already has a large enough platform to start with along with a large group of followers who are already willing to support the cause. Realistically, no individual Dragon Ball fan is going to be able to rally together a large enough group of people to care about a Canadian Dragon Ball dub, especially when large sections of the English speaking fandom are apathetic to Canadian DB dubs at best. If you actually went through with this and it ended up flopping (which is more than likely given the lack of online following) it would only make matters worse as the companies in charge might interpret that as a lack of interest which would only reaffirm their beliefs about the franchise and it's worth.

Most importantly, you'd have no goal for people to confidently donate to. As mentioned before, we have no idea which company holds the rights to this dub or who to show your progress to so that right there is going to diminish the support you get and kill your argument when trying to convince people to join the cause. Aside from all that there's also legal boundaries you'd most likely be crossing by choosing to unofficially represent the Dragon Ball brand and e money off it's name. I can't imagine Toei or Funimation would be too thrilled at that idea, they'd probably shut you down very quickly.

I know all of this, but we have to take some risks and jump in the pool if we want something to happen.

Clearly Ocean has control over this dub and Toei approved it, that's how it got made to begin with.

Here's how I look at it, if it flops, no harm done and we're in square one where we already are.

If it magically becomes something, perhaps it will convince those dunderheads that this has some desire to be seen and it might surface.

I don't know, I just thought that being interactive today would be better than moping about the unknown.

Here's the GoFundMe page for anyone who's interested: https://www.gofundme.com/dragon-ball-kai-on-teletoon
I gotta ask if you have also tried to contact Teletoon? Do they know about this? If you can never reach them then it really serves no purpose since they'll never know of its existence.

(Also I retracted my previous statement about kickstarter, but that's a moot point now since you aren't using it)

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 am

PelicanDynasty wrote:I gotta ask if you have also tried to contact Teletoon? Do they know about this? If you can never reach them then it really serves no purpose since they'll never know of its existence.

(Also I retracted my previous statement about kickstarter, but that's a moot point now since you aren't using it)
I have emailed Teletoon via their website, but I either get no reply or a very empty reply basically telling me to check their schedule.

Corus, the parent company, has an entire page full of contact information: http://www.corusent.com/media-centre/contact/

So I could probably talk to somebody that way if I wasn't so shy.

Besides that, I want to actually have something to present to them before I take that route.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:42 am

Arian wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:I gotta ask if you have also tried to contact Teletoon? Do they know about this? If you can never reach them then it really serves no purpose since they'll never know of its existence.

I have emailed Teletoon via their website, but I either get no reply or a very empty reply basically telling me to check their schedule.

Corus, the parent company, has an entire page full of contact information: http://www.corusent.com/media-centre/contact/

So I could probably talk to somebody that way if I wasn't so shy.

Besides that, I want to actually have something to present to them before I take that route.
Well, in that case I think we've reached a dead end. Hard to get people to donate without official backing, and hard to get official backing without donations.

Regardless, I've been trying to wrap my head around this and I don't see how this could possibly end up the way you intend? Let's say everything goes right, Teletoon acknowledges the fundraiser, you get over the goal, and they say to you: "Okay, we'll release Ocean Kai if you hand over the $20,000" ?? Am I missing something here?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:54 am

The money represents the fan demand. In other words, if we can raise the $20,000, it will show how much this wants to be seen.

Giving them the money is just a formality, like a thank-you for coming through for us.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:55 am

It should continue to be said: *this is not Ocean's dub*, this is some other unknown company that used the cast established by Saban & FUNi way back in the day. Ocean is a recording studio that people use, like how Marvel uses Bang Zoom for Guardians of the Galaxy, & Studiopolis for Avengers stuff. We dont say "the Bang Zoom cast/version of GotG", now, do we? XD

Similarly, we refer to Viz's dubs as "Viz's dubs", not the "Bang Zoom dub" of Hunter x Hunter, JoJo's, or One-Punch Man (to use examples). Bang Zoom is referred to in DBS's regard, to signal that these are (surprisingly) established LA dub actors, versus typical Asian English dubs. FUNi's dub began using Saban & the Vancouver talent pool. They still own that part of their dub. They created it. Westwood owns the Boo arc dubs. People keep using that cast because it's established, even though it is different people paying every time. The company that owns Dragon Ball in Japan doesnt care, & so it is very awkward keeping them straight.

Pedantry aside...For the actors & staff that worked on this dub, the deal is done. Because it's "only a dub", there is no payment after the project is recorded. There is no skin in the game for the studio that recorded the thing. It's whoever paid the studio (which is Ocean) that lost money on this dub. "Ocean" doesnt gain or lose anything whether or not this dub airs. The same could be said of dubs in general, with perhaps Naruto aside.