Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Considering the overwhelmingly arrogant, condescending tone of the question in the first place, and the extremely courteous response the YTV social media manager gave in return...

... yeah, giving props to the YTV person here. That's the kind of question/comment we typically just ignore. Why give someone like that the time of day? Good on them for being the better person.

I sure hope that first person isn't you / anyone here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Arian wrote:So YTV now has the gall to declare that they miss Dragon Ball Z, even though they absolutely refused to put Kai on the air, even before the rebrand of 2014.

I think you mean that commenter actually has the gall to act like such an insufferable prick. Typical Youtuber commenters, I guess. Whoever said that the original comment is much more insulting than the generally courteous response. With an attitude like that they'll never get Kai anywhere.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:38 pm

On a more positive note, I figured I'd go ahead and share a newly completed Wiki page that chronicles the history and findings surrounding this dub. I helped contribute to the page myself along with a few others so I have an invested interest in keeping it accurate to the truth and making sure it stays that way. I've been assured by the site's admins that it should be safe from trolls or any other attempts at tampering to spread misinformation, as it can easily be reverted if necessary. So anyway, if anyone needs a refresher on what we currently know about the dub, it's all neatly compiled in the link below.

http://bit.ly/2sj4g0Q
[spoiler]http://lostmediawiki.com/Dragon_Ball_Z_ ... cut;_2010)[/spoiler]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:51 pm

I always love to see people documenting things! Some advice / thoughts from browsing through it:

For this kind of writing, avoid abbreviations. Write out "should have" instead of "should've" / "they would" instead of "they'd" / etc.

"Its" is always possessive while "it's" is always "it is" (never its').

There are a few lines here and there that sound a little sensationalist rather than... well, I guess the dry, historical writing I'd expect (borderline things like "Schemmel was vindicated").

There's also some speculative writing (things like "As he often interviews other voice actors for his Youtube channel, it's likely he received this knowledge through them.") that I don't think should be written that way here.

Mostly Mike-nit-picking-level stuff, but overall a nice collection of info!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:10 pm

I gotta say, that's one good wiki page. I'd suggest you to write that McNeil is Piccolo, Jeice and Briefs and Dobson is Nappa.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I always love to see people documenting things! Some advice / thoughts from browsing through it:

For this kind of writing, avoid abbreviations. Write out "should have" instead of "should've" / "they would" instead of "they'd" / etc.

"Its" is always possessive while "it's" is always "it is" (never its').

There are a few lines here and there that sound a little sensationalist rather than... well, I guess the dry, historical writing I'd expect (borderline things like "Schemmel was vindicated").

There's also some speculative writing (things like "As he often interviews other voice actors for his Youtube channel, it's likely he received this knowledge through them.") that I don't think should be written that way here.

Mostly Mike-nit-picking-level stuff, but overall a nice collection of info!
From one Michael to another I concur, there's so much information that's been leaked about this dub, its so great to see it all on one page finally, and apart from a few improvements that could be made its pretty good. Congrats to all involved :clap: , hopefully we will be able to add to it in future.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:58 am

I must admit, I'm not a fan of the section about what Kirbopher said about the dub's "Cancellation" (Basically, my view is that Kirbopher was unclear on what he meant, and ended up back-tracking on it anyway, so I just take what he said as speculation)

Other than that, it's a good article. Rather well put together.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:59 am

So that interview with Scott McNeil is up. Not one question about Kai asked… fantastic.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:22 am

SX10 wrote:So that interview with Scott McNeil is up. Not one question about Kai asked… fantastic.
Don't worry about it. These interviews with Ninjago voice actors tend to have more than one part, so it's possible that one question about Kai will be asked in the next part.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:12 am

I'd guess the strategy is to put all the Ninjago stuff in the first part, then put everything else in the second.

I could be wrong, but as I say, that's my guess.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 am

The interviews he does are usually in three parts. This one will likely be the same.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Oh sweet! I didn't know that. That's good news :)
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Anyone know if Michael Hirsh likes Dragon Ball? :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Anyone know if Michael Hirsh likes Dragon Ball? :lol:
Damn, I was gonna report on this! You're too good, SSP.

But yeah, this could mean great things for Ocean Kai if a third company launches a children's network in Canada. Specifically one that "has shown a consistent investment in older youth animation" and "is looking to license content from third party distributor to help fill the channel."
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Arian wrote:
Damn, I was gonna report on this! You're too good, SSP.

But yeah, this could mean great things for Ocean Kai if a third company launches a children's network in Canada. Specifically one that "has shown a consistent investment in older youth animation" and "is looking to license content from third party distributor to help fill the channel."
So, have you received an e-mail from Miss Bonneau yet?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:So, have you received an e-mail from Miss Bonneau yet?
I haven't been able to contact her, but I'm working on it. As it turns out her email address rejects emails from common folk like me. :lol:

Of course I'll let you all know if I've been able to contact her/possibly received a response.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 pm

I was JUST about to post about THAT new channel! Darn Ninjas!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:05 am

I really hope this channel, if it launches picks up Ocean Kai. If they know what Dragon Ball is in terms of being a phenomenon they will be crazy not to bring it back to Canada, especially if they show something new and unseen.

I'd also want to see Viceland air the dub to give it exposure in the UK, but I wouldn't put it past TOEI to not let them, much like Kix, use the Ocean dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:06 pm

I debated whether or not I was going to post this because it doesn't talk about the Ocean dub of Kai specifically, but in the interest of understanding the dilemmas of getting an anime to air on a broadcast TV network in this day and age, I've decided that I will. Anime News Network wrote a great article on why it's difficult to get a TV network to air anime. Hopefully we can use the info here to address at least some of the concerns that TV networks might have in future petitions.

...But, long story short, TV networks are pretty hesitant to air anime dubs nowadays, and for good reason. This is especially problematic in the case of the Ocean dub of Kai, since the only shot it ever has of being seen is if it lands a TV deal.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:37 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I debated whether or not I was going to post this because it doesn't talk about the Ocean dub of Kai specifically, but in the interest of understanding the dilemmas of getting an anime to air on a broadcast TV network in this day and age, I've decided that I will. Anime News Network wrote a great article on why it's difficult to get a TV network to air anime. Hopefully we can use the info here to address at least some of the concerns that TV networks might have in future petitions.

...But, long story short, TV networks are pretty hesitant to air anime dubs nowadays, and for good reason. This is especially problematic in the case of the Ocean dub of Kai, since the only shot it ever has of being seen is if it lands a TV deal.
That's a really good written article. I might not like ANN that much, but they can write well.