Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Well, Super sucks, but maybe hearing the Ocean voices in it would make it feel like it sucks less. ;)
But...but...I like Super.

And honestly, if there was an Ocean dub of Super, I wouldn't like Lanipator in that role. The TFS guys have become so overrated over the years.
You know Sabat himself is a Fan of TFS & good friends with them. How did you think they started getting roles at Funimation while Sabat appeared in their works and even Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.

They are going official as we know it and will voice these characters in video games outside of DBZA.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:53 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Well, Super sucks, but maybe hearing the Ocean voices in it would make it feel like it sucks less. ;)
But...but...I like Super.

And honestly, if there was an Ocean dub of Super, I wouldn't like Lanipator in that role. The TFS guys have become so overrated over the years.
You know Sabat himself is a Fan of TFS & good friends with them. How did you think they started getting roles at Funimation while Sabat appeared in their works and even Hellsing Ultimate Abridged?

They are going official as we know it and will voice these characters in video games outside of DBZA.
Well, several of them live in Texas, so I imagine sooner or later they were going to audition for roles there regardless of their growing popularity, but it helped that Sabat likes their works.
And, here's my question to 8000 Saiyan; Overrated, or overhyped & overexposed?
I don't find them overrated. Any amount of success they get from their work is, in my opinion, really earned. To be fair, this series helped a lot of people get through some tough times by adding levity into their lives, which they could always get from other good comedies, & helped some people, like me for one, get back into the franchise after some time. Now, I know comedy's subjective, & I don't like how they do some things like Gohan's characterization, but I think the show maintains a good level of quality consistently & its humor is consistently above most other adult shows with the same kinds of jokes. Though that's just me.
Again, overrated, or overexposed?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Justin Chatwin for Zamasu.

An Ocean dub of Super isn't going to happen, so I might as well shoot for the stars.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I think of TFS as overexposed.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think of TFS as overexposed.
And that's fine, but I don't think it should cloud your judgement of their work. If it wasn't good to some extent, I don't think they'd be elevated to the status they've obtained in the last several years. I mean, they've overtaken Yugioh Abridged as the go-to top-quality abridged series on the internet, & a lot of their jokes & other material will age a lot better in the long-run than Yugioh Abridged's material. I mean, it's similar to Rick & Morty's popularity. The fandom can get obnoxious, but the show's been of a consistently good quality since day one for the most part (season 3 was a bit iffy in places, as far as I've heard).

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 pm

I think of it as absolute trash. I won't lie, it kind of annoys me when people treat it like a serious part of the DB franchise. It's just a bunch of random people taking clips from a tv show and trying to be funny with it.

I also think it's bought the worst out of DB fans. All of this "Goku is a bad father" stuff and the Yamcha jokes only really took off when TFS became popular.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:59 am

sangofe wrote:I like you Robo but your opinion sucks :-P.
8000 Saiyan wrote:But...but...I like Super.
Haha. Nothing wrong with liking something. I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to Super anyway, so what do I know?... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8000 Saiyan wrote:And honestly, if there was an Ocean dub of Super, I wouldn't like Lanipator in that role. The TFS guys have become so overrated over the years. Just get Sabat or like I said, the Blue Water guy who voiced Vegeta in GT.
Much as I love the TFS guys, I think Sabat is the only actor to bring in as Copy Vegeta if they don't just keep it to Drummond.
First up, Drummond is massively in support of this, he said "In the unlikely event that it ever happened I would ensure [Chris Sabat] played that role."
Second up, Toei would never allow Lani to do it. Ocean would be foolish to try, and honestly I don't think they'd even consider it.
Third, much as I love the Blue Water dub, Vegeta was not one of their best voices. The actor himself isn't even that impressed with his own work as Vegeta.

Honestly, if they can't get Sabat, I think they'll just have Drummond do both parts.
EnergizerConvoy wrote:They are going official as we know it and will voice these characters in video games outside of DBZA.
They are good voice actors, and good guys, but Toei will never let them have anything larger than a tiny cameo in an actual Dragon Ball series. Regardless of anyone's opinions about the TFS cast, the reality is Toei hate TFS, and will do everything in their power to keep them out of the official dubs.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Justin Chatwin for Zamasu.
Ocean would never audition him; he'd have to be flown out to Canada, or send in everything remotely, both of which are really complex options that would be an absolute pain to organise logistically. Sabat as Copy Vegeta would be fine, since it's a fairly brief thing(Drummond recorded all his lines as Copy Vegeta within about 3 hours), but Zamasu is a main character of an entire arc. It'd never happen.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:An Ocean dub of Super isn't going to happen, so I might as well shoot for the stars.
Never say never. The Dragon Ball fandom is excessively good at assuming something won't happen, and often that causes it to not happen; an Ocean Super dub may very well happen, it all depends on how well Ocean Kai does on TV. Kai: TFC would be the next thing, but Super would be next after that if both Kais do well enough. So, assuming Wow do get the license to air it, spread the good word of Ocean Kai. If you have Canadian frends, tell them to watch it. If you live in Canada, put it on your TV. Get it seen by as many people as possible, and maybe it'll be enough of a hit to ensure a true return of the Ocean Dragon Ball crew. :)
Scott wrote:I think of it as absolute trash. I won't lie, it kind of annoys me when people treat it like a serious part of the DB franchise. It's just a bunch of random people taking clips from a tv show and trying to be funny with it.
Trashing something a lot of people really like isn't very nice, especially when you do it right to their face.
Admittedly, I'm occasionally guilty of this, but I only really do it in jest.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:55 am

I only joked about Chatwin because of Marsters allegedly playing the character in Funimation's dub.

Chatwin's a British Columbia native, so they'd "just" need to get him to agree and come back to Vancouver.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Scott wrote:
I think of it as absolute trash. I won't lie, it kind of annoys me when people treat it like a serious part of the DB franchise. It's just a bunch of random people taking clips from a tv show and trying to be funny with it.

I also think it's bought the worst out of DB fans. All of this "Goku is a bad father" stuff and the Yamcha jokes only really took off when TFS became popular.
In a lot of fans' defense, Yamcha was already a laughingstock as far as I know, since he got killed within the first arc of the series, & since most people overseas saw Z before DB, it caught on & he's been so for a long time since. As for Goku being a bad father, I really think that's only bad because of how they portray Gohan, which is getting extremely problematic. I also wouldn't blame TFS for a lot of idiots not thinking for themselves & seeing how Goku can actually be a decent father. TFS is a parody & they purposely flanderize characters for the sense of comedy. It's not their fault that stupid people think a PARODY is how you should interpret the characters. No, that's on them. TFS even says themselves that their series is a parody. Can't blame them for the deaf & stupid.
And it's not just some random people taking clips from the show. They're a group of people that came together to do this & were going to do the series whether or not they got popular. I mean, that's like saying Little Kuriboh knew he was gonna be popular after he put out Yugioh Abridged episode 1. As for taking clips from the show, do you not know what an Abridged series is? It's a gag dub that redoes the animation to fit the dialogue & other things.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Much as I love the TFS guys, I think Sabat is the only actor to bring in as Copy Vegeta if they don't just keep it to Drummond.
First up, Drummond is massively in support of this, he said "In the unlikely event that it ever happened I would ensure [Chris Sabat] played that role."
Second up, Toei would never allow Lani to do it. Ocean would be foolish to try, and honestly I don't think they'd even consider it.
Third, much as I love the Blue Water dub, Vegeta was not one of their best voices. [url=https://twitter.com/rogerrhodes/status/ ... 1991756800]The actor himself isn't even that impressed with his own work as Vegeta
I love how Rhodes is honest about his performance, but I'm sure he could do much better nowadays.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 pm

See I get why people like TFS, but I dont get why they think they'd be great in an actual dub. Bardock's va was horrible in an actual fan dub. They're not playing the characters, they're playing parodies of the characters and there is a difference. It's like saying how I think how to Batman (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzoGtvxwHsI) should play Batman in a continuation of the Nolan franchise cause he kinda sounds like Bale and I find him funny.

I have no problem with them being in the Cell recration as I feel that was an absolute perfect way to display where they are talented but seeing all these Vegeta's Rage Ocean/Funi/TFS really seem to be missing the point of what abridging is.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 pm

I actually like a lot of their voices. I feel like they do sound cartoony and crazy, and yet sound more natural than some Funimation voice actors. Kurilin's, Vegeta's, Piccolo's, and Trunks's voices are actually more pleasant in TFS than the official dub (for me). I feel like Funimation's Vegeta and Piccolo especially, sound way too forced. And also, the fact that they're doing a parody shouldn't matter -- what's the difference between being good reading mildly silly dialog and reading super silly dialog?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm

OMG THAT'S ROGER RHODES! He's Mepple in Pretty Cure. I REALLY WANTED TO CONTACT HIM! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:See I get why people like TFS, but I dont get why they think they'd be great in an actual dub. Bardock's va was horrible in an actual fan dub. They're not playing the characters, they're playing parodies of the characters and there is a difference. It's like saying how I think how to Batman (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzoGtvxwHsI) should play Batman in a continuation of the Nolan franchise cause he kinda sounds like Bale and I find him funny.

I have no problem with them being in the Cell recration as I feel that was an absolute perfect way to display where they are talented but seeing all these Vegeta's Rage Ocean/Funi/TFS really seem to be missing the point of what abridging is.
I think those comparison videos are just showing the different takes on the lines/scenes between the different versions of the series. The Abridged Series not only parodies the characters, but also tells the main stories of the show in a faithful way that also makes fun of it at the same time, so the comparisons in some moments, other than being different, just show the differences. It's not like anyone takes those parts of those seriously either, I don't think. You're overthinking that if you think most people would. It's just there, so why not include it? Most people are there for the official dubs anyways.
I don't think people say they'd be great for the actual dub for the characters, though I DO like Lanipator as a VA with his impressions of Piccolo & Vegeta being practically spot-on to Sabat's. As for Bardock, Takahata101 isn't a bad VA for him. In fact, he's the only normal person he plays in the series & I think he does a great job. His Cell is also pretty great, not only in his copying of Dameon Clarke's Cell, but also with their version of the character. Masako, though, I couldn't see anyone taking seriously outside of a comedy.
And for that Batman thing, that's not even comparable. Voice acting is a LOT different from regular acting. Plus, the majority of TFS regularly works at FUNi as voice actors for them. You can hear Lani's voice clearly in One Piece in the few arcs before the timeskip & Kaiser was in Resurrection F & One Piece Film: Gold as some tertiary voices. Also, Chris Guerero/General Ivan is Gecko Moria in One Piece, a prominent villain, & plays him extremely well, & Amber Lee Connors has been in some leading roles in several official dubs so they CAN work in really good roles in serious projects. I mean, how many comedic actors have proven they can be good in more serious works? A lot. Plus, they've been working on the dub of Hells with Media Blasters, so there's something to having them in more serious projects.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:44 pm

It's still a parody tho, its like taking a comparison of Black and White music video from Michael jackson and doing a comaparison of the In Living color skit and rave about how much better it is because it's funnier (and in some sence more true) but its still a parody, you can like it but it doesnt repalce the original which TFS has to a lot of people. You missed (it might have been this thread where people were talking about people only watching TFS over any sub or dub *my brother and sister included* I'll reserve judgment until they give a shot at a serious DB dub but as of now I dont see them playing the parts in an accurate copacity, Its not a jab at them being amature cause I feel that way about some of FUNi's voice actors too. Youre right about the whole acting vs VA thing so I'll offer a second one, Dan Caslinetta being cast as genie because he can somewhat sound like Robin Williams and is funny but he just didnt get the character and just came off as a cheap immitation (heck FUNi's season 3 was just that and even now Shemmel still doesnt convinve me as Goku). I think we'll have to agree to disagree. A part of me is just frustrated because I just dont get the appeal for the abridged and I am getting annoyed at how every thing ends up turring into a TFS discussion. I know they're isnt much news going on here right now but it really get this thread off topic.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 am

In the time since this thread was created:

.Kai 1.0 finished broadcast in Japan.
.Kai 1.0 finished being broadcast and released by FUNimation
.A new animated DB movie released in Japan in 2013.
.FUNimation released said movie in 2014, subsequently MangaUK for the UK.
.Also in 2014 the Buu arc of Kai was broadcast in Japan.
.A second new DB movie is announced in 2015.
.A new DB series is announced in 2015.
.FUNimation and MangaUK release movie dubbed in theatres and home video.
.Kai 1.0 gets released on home video having already been broadcast in the UK.
.FUNimation release all of Buu Kai in 2017, meanwhile currently have DBS aired on TV and releasing it on home video.
.DBS ends broadcast in Japan in March 2018.
.A new DB movie for Japan 2018.

Meanwhile Ocean Kai

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am

From what I've heard from Sabat's Vegeta in Funimation's Super dub, he can be a bit inconsistent with his voice where as in Kai, he was always consistent. I imagine that if Drummond were to play Vegeta in an Ocean dub of Super, he'd always keep his voice consistent.

I've never really agreed with the idea of Sabat being the ideal English Vegeta, and probably never will. There are people who could always do better jobs than him and that's the same with Piccolo.

And I don't think I could take any of the TFS guys seriously if they were doing an actual dub. Their voices are so obviously exaggerated impressions of the Funimation cast.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:26 am

As someone who lives in the UK, my interpretations of my ideal voice cast are all over the place. I began watching DBZ on Toonami during the Frieza Saga so I became accustomed to the FUNi cast, in spite of catching up on the Saiyan and Namek Sagas with the Ocean cast (I don't remember the voice differences being that much of a big deal to me at the time?)

Fast forward to April 2001 and the Ocean dub restart in the UK just after Trunks kills Frieza knocked me for six. I hated the cast and music for quite some time until I sort of got used to them. Due to the internet I became aware that FUNi were still using the "real" voice cast in America, so I started collecting DVDs where I could. I came to love the Ocean dub though and to this day, I think I prefer elements of it. Brian Drummond is definitely Vegeta to me - I would probably side with the FUNi cast for other roles, particularly Goku as he was recast so many times over the years by Ocean. Peter Kelamis was probably as good as they ever got.

What was known as the Fusion Saga started to air in the UK with FUNi voices for some reason, but was replaced by Ocean again for the Kid Buu arc (subsequent repeats of the Fusion episodes ran with the Ocean cast - CNX's acquisition of the FUNi dub seemed to vanish into thin air). An Ocean dub of Kai would be most welcome on these shores, particularly to wash away the pain that Bluewater's dub of GT caused me - it felt so incongrous to have ANOTHER voice cast over and above the grainy, washed-out look of the animation compared with the end of Z.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 am

Scsigs wrote:
And that's fine, but I don't think it should cloud your judgement of their work. If it wasn't good to some extent, I don't think they'd be elevated to the status they've obtained in the last several years. I mean, they've overtaken Yugioh Abridged as the go-to top-quality abridged series on the internet, & a lot of their jokes & other material will age a lot better in the long-run than Yugioh Abridged's material. I mean, it's similar to Rick & Morty's popularity. The fandom can get obnoxious, but the show's been of a consistently good quality since day one for the most part (season 3 was a bit iffy in places, as far as I've heard).
TFS is hit and miss for me, but they're better than WeeklyTubeShow (who has a huge hypocrite working for them) and Gozar.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
TFS is hit and miss for me, but they're better than WeeklyTubeShow (who has a huge hypocrite working for them) and Gozar.
Why would you say that?