Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:43 am

SX10 wrote:Wait a minute, what is all this about with Ed, Edd & Eddy? That show is a genuine classic :lol: if it sounds cartoony, well, I suppose that's because it is a cartoon? What an odd criticism to make.

Anyhoo, we know that CRTC take up to 6 months to license a channel, but when did the process start?
Even though it is a cartoon series, one should at least expect it to be professionally written/dubbed rather than something like.. this thing, curse this thing! :lol: The Westwood Dub should have never been made because it ruined Ocean Dub's cast image in a way.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:04 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
SX10 wrote:Wait a minute, what is all this about with Ed, Edd & Eddy? That show is a genuine classic :lol: if it sounds cartoony, well, I suppose that's because it is a cartoon? What an odd criticism to make.

Anyhoo, we know that CRTC take up to 6 months to license a channel, but when did the process start?
Even though it is a cartoon series, one should at least expect it to be professionally written/dubbed rather than something like.. this thing, curse this thing! :lol: The Westwood Dub should have never been made because it ruined Ocean Dub's cast image in a way.
Well, fun bit of trivia here: you have FUNimation to thank for the Westwood dub's scripts. Sean Schemmel says he strongly believes that the Westwood dub got their scripts by having someone watch the FUNimation dub and transcribe what they heard. He based this on an observation that, every once in a while, the dubbing team (which is to say the director and actor, collectively) would make minor, on-the-spot changes to the scripts they were given when the scripts they were given weren't working for various reasons (too corny, doesn't fit the lip flaps, etc)*...and these minor, on-the-spot changes still ended up in the Westwood dub. Since these changes were made on the spot, there was no official script containing these changes, so having somebody else watch the final result of FUNimation's dubbing efforts is the only way these changes would still show up in the Westwood dub.

*For the record, minor, on-the-spot changes are not uncommon at all in the dubbing process. They happen all the time, even if it's just minor things like, for example, changing "can not" to "can't" in the interest of speeding up the delivery to fit the lip flaps better. Dubbing teams are reluctant to get too crazy with these minor changes because, if a change is extreme enough, then depending on the dubbing contract, the dub company may need to send the revised scripts back to the original Japanese client for approval.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:41 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well, fun bit of trivia here: you have FUNimation to thank for the Westwood dub's scripts.
That said, FUNi was not responsible for Ocean Vegeta's ridiculous "Curse that thing! How can I beat him when he regenerates after every attack, that thing! Curse him!" If you look at the FUNi version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m97KWkeunA&t=13m16s

The quote was "Curse that thing! How can I beat him if he's able to regenerate himself after every attack?! Darn him!". Not sure where the extra "that thing!" came from.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well, fun bit of trivia here: you have FUNimation to thank for the Westwood dub's scripts.
That said, FUNi was not responsible for Ocean Vegeta's ridiculous "Curse that thing! How can I beat him when he regenerates after every attack, that thing! Curse him!" If you look at the FUNi version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m97KWkeunA&t=13m16s

The quote was "Curse that thing! How can I beat him if he's able to regenerate himself after every attack?! Darn him!". Not sure where the extra "that thing!" came from.
Well, both dub teams worked off the same base script, since Ocean was still apparently helping with the scriptings of the episodes with FUNi, so they gave the scripts to the dub team to use, so either FUNi edited the script to call Majin Buu by his gender, or Ocean changed the line to keep it more ambiguous while keeping the timing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote:If Bulma is a returning voice, it's unlikely to be Maggie Blue O'Hara or Lalania Lindbjerg, so it'd probaby be France Peras.
I'm not expecting France Perras to reprise Bulma.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Uhhhm, maybe my phone acting up, but I was just on twitter and Ms. Shulman's tweets regarding anything to do with the show or the channel are gone.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:44 pm

They're still there for me.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Yeah, I can still see all of the tweets as well. I wouldn't worry too much either way.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Arian wrote:Yeah, I can still see all of the tweets as well. I wouldn't worry too much either way.
Well, those tweets disappearing would have been cause for cautious optimism, not worry. That would have suggested that things are progressing and it was no longer something she could publicly discuss.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Oh! Very strange. All good then. I wondered if it meant something. I blame my phone, some of the apps on it don't seem to be working properly. Sorry guys.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Arian wrote:Yeah, I can still see all of the tweets as well. I wouldn't worry too much either way.
Well, those tweets disappearing would have been cause for cautious optimism, not worry. That would have suggested that things are progressing and it was no longer something she could publicly discuss.
That said, the fact that she didn't actually delete them is not a reason for despair.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Some very minor news regarding Wow's channel: the CRTC is finally proceeding with their approval process. The commission is soliciting comments from the public and industry between now and April 26th. They will conduct a hearing on May 31st, the results of which should be made live the same day or shortly after. I don't expect there to be any controversies, so this should go smoothly. From that point, Wow will officially and legally own a TV channel.

By the way, I don't suggest you leave comments for the CRTC. I doubt they'd appreciate a bunch of "air Dragon Ball Kai" posts, lol.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:01 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Some very minor news regarding Wow's channel: the CRTC is finally proceeding with their approval process. The commission is soliciting comments from the public and industry between now and April 26th. They will conduct a hearing on May 31st, the results of which should be made live the same day or shortly after. I don't expect there to be any controversies, so this should go smoothly. From that point, Wow will officially and legally own a TV channel.

By the way, I don't suggest you leave comments for the CRTC. I doubt they'd appreciate a bunch of "air Dragon Ball Kai" posts, lol.
Great news!

And yeah, leaving CRTC comments would probably not be a good idea. :lol:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm not expecting France Perras to reprise Bulma.
Neither am I, to be honest.

Assuming we don't get one of the Blue Water ones reprising their role, I think we'll likely be getting a new Bulma.
SX10 wrote:Uhhhm, maybe my phone acting up, but I was just on twitter and Ms. Shulman's tweets regarding anything to do with the show or the channel are gone.
You're probably just showing tweets, not tweets and replies.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 pm

Question: Is the Ocean Dub Kai having the series titled as 'Dragon Ball Kai' or 'Dragon Ball Z Kai' like most international dubs have used?

I recall that the Brazilian dub of Kai while it did use Nicktoons Kai footage, the narrator only said 'Dragon Ball Kai'. To be honest, I prefer the original title 'Dragon Ball Kai' over the international.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:01 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Question: Is the Ocean Dub Kai having the series titled as 'Dragon Ball Kai' or 'Dragon Ball Z Kai' like most international dubs have used?

I recall that the Brazilian dub of Kai while it did use Nicktoons Kai footage, the narrator only said 'Dragon Ball Kai'. To be honest, I prefer the original title 'Dragon Ball Kai' over the international.
The narrator in the Brazilian Portuguese dub referring to the show as "Dragon Ball Kai" appears to have been a semi-weird "for the heck of it" decision on the part of the dubbing company, as the show is still officially referred to as "Dragon Ball Z Kai" everywhere outside of Japan. Chris Sabat also confirmed years ago that the decision to change it from "Kai" to "Z Kai" was one that came directly from Toei, so it appears as though "Z Kai" is the official international title.

Also, we don't know if this will be the official theme song or if it was just a pitch that never went any further, but this (proposed/possibly used?) theme song for the Ocean dub also refers to the show as "Dragon Ball Z Kai" in the lyrics.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Question: Is the Ocean Dub Kai having the series titled as 'Dragon Ball Kai' or 'Dragon Ball Z Kai' like most international dubs have used?
We don't know. Most likely Z Kai, but we can't really be sure.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Also, we don't know if this will be the official theme song or if it was just a pitch that never went any further, but this (proposed/possibly used?) theme song for the Ocean dub also refers to the show as "Dragon Ball Z Kai" in the lyrics.
It's also worth noting that this audio demo was apparently from about 2009, and is only a snippet. (And a snippet that some guy on YouTube has added visuals to, it seems)
So, if this is in the actual show, for all we know, it may be an entirely different mix, with an entirely different singer, with entirely different lyrics, with re-recorded instrumentation, and run a full 1:50.

But, that aside, I think it is fair to say that that song's use of "Z Kai" points to the title being the international "Z Kai" title.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

The narrator in the Brazilian Portuguese dub referring to the show as "Dragon Ball Kai" appears to have been a semi-weird "for the heck of it" decision on the part of the dubbing company, as the show is still officially referred to as "Dragon Ball Z Kai" everywhere outside of Japan. Chris Sabat also confirmed years ago that the decision to change it from "Kai" to "Z Kai" was one that came directly from Toei, so it appears as though "Z Kai" is the official international title.
Robo4900 wrote:We don't know. Most likely Z Kai, but we can't really be sure.
You're both not factoring in the fact that on the CRTC website as well as other places where the voice actors have spoken about it, it's ben referred to as "Dragon Ball Kai." Technically "Dragonball Kai" but you know what I'm getting at.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Neither am I, to be honest.

Assuming we don't get one of the Blue Water ones reprising their role, I think we'll likely be getting a new Bulma.
This lady would be a good Bulma.
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... usan-Test/
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:This lady would be a good Bulma.
Maybe. Sounds more like a young Bulma from the Pilaf arc than an older Bulma from the Saiyan arc onwards, but I could imagine her doing something good.
Arian wrote:You're both not factoring in the fact that on the CRTC website as well as other places where the voice actors have spoken about it, it's ben referred to as "Dragon Ball Kai." Technically "Dragonball Kai" but you know what I'm getting at.
That is also a good point...
Okay, I have no idea, then. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:This lady would be a good Bulma.
Robo4900 wrote:Maybe. Sounds more like a young Bulma from the Pilaf arc than an older Bulma from the Saiyan arc onwards, but I could imagine her doing something good.
Well, Hiromi's voice never really changed throughout the series.