Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:39 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I understand that people don't like the English dub's Buu, but why does the Japanese one get a free pass? "Because it's the Japanese" isn't a viable excuse. I mean, I didn't expect high pitched, but why the one they chose? That's all I'll say there.
I don't like Japanese Buu because it's the original. I like Japanese Buu because I like the performance and voice.

They probably asked the VA to not sound high-pitched because they thought that he could sound childish without sounding high-pitched.

And besides, one thing I like about the Japanese Buu is that he can make him sound threatening while English Buu sounds annoying.
Japanese Buu sounds just perfect and has an amazing ability to sound both evil and good.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 pm

sangofe wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I understand that people don't like the English dub's Buu, but why does the Japanese one get a free pass? "Because it's the Japanese" isn't a viable excuse. I mean, I didn't expect high pitched, but why the one they chose? That's all I'll say there.
I don't like Japanese Buu because it's the original. I like Japanese Buu because I like the performance and voice.

They probably asked the VA to not sound high-pitched because they thought that he could sound childish without sounding high-pitched.

And besides, one thing I like about the Japanese Buu is that he can make him sound threatening while English Buu sounds annoying.
Japanese Buu sounds just perfect and has an amazing ability to sound both evil and good.
Yeah, he has a lot of range while Josh Martin doesn't.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Geez, I didn't even realize how badly I wanted this to come out, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. I want to see them fight with courage, fight with honor, fight on Dragon Ball Z KAI already!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Anticipated releases for the week of 9 to 13 July 2018

Decisions relating to the following applications considered by the Commission at the 31 May 2018 public hearing:

Wow! Unlimited Networks Inc.
Comedy Gold – Acquisition of assets
Public record for this application: 2017-1027-8
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 pm

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2018/ ... ted-media/

I dont know what any of this means. But its something.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 am

My interpretation of it is the channel is just around the corner.

Fingers crossed now for programming details and word on Kai :D .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:02 am

Thank god things have progressed :mrgreen:
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 pm

We're getting closer and closer. ITS HAPPENNING

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:40 pm

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 am

I guess we're getting there.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:26 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I guess we're getting there.
ImageImageImage

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:50 am

Hopefully we'll get news of Wow's acquisitions soon and Kai will be among them.

Would be nice if this dub finally airs before this thread reaches 300 pages.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:30 am

Now's probably a good time to start sending emails to [spoiler]inquiry@toei-animation-usa.com[/spoiler]

Be polite and be clear in what you want to happen. Make sure you specify that it's the Canadian dub of Kai you want (not Funimation's) and that Wow! Unlimited is the company you want them to partner with. Tell them why you want this to happen.

In my message, I told Toei the benefits of letting this dub out: 1) Canadian fans would be nostalgic for these voices, 2) the show would qualify for Cancon quotas, potentially encouraging a longer shelf life on TV, 3) it would bring a lot more attention than a many years late run of Funimation's dub.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:[spoiler]inquiry@toei-animation-usa.com[/spoiler]
That's Toei USA, judging by the address.

Isn't there a Canadian arm?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Be polite and be clear in what you want to happen. Make sure you specify that it's the Canadian dub of Kai you want (not Funimation's) and that Wow! Unlimited is the company you want them to partner with. Tell them why you want this to happen.

In my message, I told Toei the benefits of letting this dub out: 1) Canadian fans would be nostalgic for these voices, 2) the show would qualify for Cancon quotas, potentially encouraging a longer shelf life on TV, 3) it would bring a lot more attention than a many years late run of Funimation's dub.
Is writing emails really the thing to do right now, though?
Perhaps this is something to ask Marni Shulman about. If nothing else, perhaps she could ensure we're emailing the right place.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Canada is way too small a market for Toei to devote a specific branch to. It's like how all of their European business is conducted out of an office in France.

As for Marni, she hasn't posted on Twitter in months. This thread is nearly 8 years old, so I'm nowhere near as confident as some of you guys are that its broadcast is in the bag. If you don't want to send Toei an email, fine. No one's forcing you. It just can't hurt to make it clear what people want.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Canada is way too small a market for Toei to devote a specific branch to. It's like how all of their European business is conducted out of an office in France.
Fair enough.
Still, you wouldn't think they'd call it "Toei USA" if it's for Canada too. Even though the European branch of Toei is based in France, it is still called "Toei Europe"...
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:As for Marni, she hasn't posted on Twitter in months. This thread is nearly 8 years old, so I'm nowhere near as confident as some of you guys are that its broadcast is in the bag. If you don't want to send Toei an email, fine. No one's forcing you. It just can't hurt to make it clear what people want.
Fair enough. Alright, I'll try writing one up. Can't hurt, and it might just improve our chances. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Take it to mean "Toei Animation's office in the USA" rather than a branch that only serves that single country. That location essentially handles everything but Asia and Europe:
Based in Los Angeles, Toei Animation Inc. is responsible for the program licensing of Toei-produced series to North America, Latin America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Toei’s Los Angeles office also handles all categories of consumer product licensing based on its film and television properties within these territories.
http://www.toei-animation-usa.com/contact.html

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:32 pm

I think you're right Super Saiyan Prime, now is probably a good time to make them aware that there is at least one interested party out there, especially as the channel could now take off. I typed up and sent off an e-mail of my own just now, so here's hoping they take notice and listen or reach out to each other.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 am

Robo4900 wrote:
ImageImageImage
Well, thank God.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:34 pm

In some ways, if this dub is coming out now, it might actually be a better time for it to happen than ever before. If it came out in 2009/2010 alongside Funimation's version, heavy criticisms from people who are not used to the Ocean cast, and those who want to compare it to the American version, would probably have hurt the success of the Ocean version. If it comes out close to the Broly release, after Super, it can really reinvigorate Dragon Ball to the Canadian audiences. A new generation of fans can be introduced to the Canadian actors, and it might even help the new film all around Canada.

If this is the case, that is just crazy luck.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada