Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Boss
Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Big Boss » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:21 pm

So who owns the rights to the Ocean dubs of movies 1-3 these days? Are Pioneer still clinging on to it? Do Funimation have it (they were included on Rock the Dragon set, but not uncut)?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 pm

As far as I'm aware Pioneer's rights have expired, so Funimation should have them back. If they were able to release those movies (albeit Movie 3 being the edited version) on the Rock the Dragon set I don't see why they wouldn't own them. Also, if they would be willing to go to the hassle and expense of licensing a dub owned by another country they may as well seek out the Westwood and Blue Water dubs too, which sadly they have never and will probably never do.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Big Boss wrote:So who owns the rights to the Ocean dubs of movies 1-3 these days? Are Pioneer still clinging on to it? Do Funimation have it (they were included on Rock the Dragon set, but not uncut)?
FUNi still has the rights to the movies in North America, since the rights reverted to them after some time of Pioneer having the rights, similar to DB. Ocean & Pioneer would have the recordings, I believe, somewhere on a hard drive like their Kai dub. FUNi might have them, but they had nothing to do with those dubs of those movies, so I doubt it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:As far as I'm aware Pioneer's rights have expired, so Funimation should have them back. If they were able to release those movies (albeit Movie 3 being the edited version) on the Rock the Dragon set I don't see why they wouldn't own them. Also, if they would be willing to go to the hassle and expense of licensing a dub owned by another country they may as well seek out the Westwood and Blue Water dubs too, which sadly they have never and will probably never do.
I doubt the Westwood dub of DBZ even exists in any official capacity anymore. I can only assume it was discarded once the Funimation releases became common place in the UK. Same with Blue Water. Maybe YTV still have some copies, but I highly doubt that. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the situation in Canada, have they ever aired re-runs of those dubs?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Big Boss wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:As far as I'm aware Pioneer's rights have expired, so Funimation should have them back. If they were able to release those movies (albeit Movie 3 being the edited version) on the Rock the Dragon set I don't see why they wouldn't own them. Also, if they would be willing to go to the hassle and expense of licensing a dub owned by another country they may as well seek out the Westwood and Blue Water dubs too, which sadly they have never and will probably never do.
I doubt the Westwood dub of DBZ even exists in any official capacity anymore. I can only assume it was discarded once the Funimation releases became common place in the UK. Same with Blue Water. Maybe YTV still have some copies, but I highly doubt that. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the situation in Canada, have they ever aired re-runs of those dubs?
Canada doesn't air anime on TV. Reruns used to happen, until about 2005 or so. Not much anime since.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 pm

SX10 wrote:You know I am REALLY looking forward to Scott McNeil's return to Jeice! I have an irrational attachment to that performance and character. It was just such a stand out to hear that voice among characters like the Ginyu Force.

He's from space Birmingham.

NOT.
SPACE.
AUSTRALIA!!
(although that was fun too)
YES!

Funi's Jheeses have honestly just been okay IMO, meanwhile I always thought McNeil's was a real blast. Just a really memorable performance. :)
And yeah... Space uhh... Liverpool, I think was where he was aiming for...? I think he specifically said in panels and such that he got the voice from doing impressions of Lister from Red Dwarf.
Big Boss wrote:So who owns the rights to the Ocean dubs of movies 1-3 these days? Are Pioneer still clinging on to it? Do Funimation have it (they were included on Rock the Dragon set, but not uncut)?
Funimation do. But naturally, they don't want to release the older Ocean dubs on the uncut releases, because their redub is supposed to be definitive... :lolno:
Big Boss wrote:
Don't be silly, they wouldn't have discarded the masters. They'll still exist somewhere at Ocean, or the remains of AB Groupe, or something. They wouldn't be so irresponsible as to destroy every officially-held copy.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:36 am

Thanks for the correction Robo! Listening to the voice again on YouTube. So obvious now I am listening for it, I dunno why I thought it was brummie. It's not over the top Liverpudlian.

This is why I love McNeil, he isn't afraid to just throw out these odd choices and they pretty much always work.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 pm

C. Smith wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:He shouldn't have any problems with them because he should know by now that he's considered the definitive English Goku.
The main issue is that Schemmel believe he's the one and ONLY Goku, and any other English VA who voices him he'll decry to the extreme.
Oddly enough he doesn't have any problems with Lex Lang and Steve Blum.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:36 pm

As I mentioned a while back, I think any problems that Schemmel has had or currently has with the other English voices for Goku might just be the result of having been unfavorably compared to them in the past. He might’ve had particular issue with Peter Kelamis because Kelamis had been praised a lot for his performance in the movies, and prior to Kai, there was a fair amount of people who considered him to be the definitive English voice for Goku. I’m not saying it isn’t petty on Schemmel’s part, but I figured it’s worth keeping in mind that he wasn’t always considered the definitive English speaking Goku.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:46 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
C. Smith wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:He shouldn't have any problems with them because he should know by now that he's considered the definitive English Goku.
The main issue is that Schemmel believe he's the one and ONLY Goku, and any other English VA who voices him he'll decry to the extreme.
Well he "taught" Lex Lang how to properly voice Goku (which somehow ultimately resulted in Lang giving one of the worst English portrayals of Goku), and Blum was just in a GT game and Schemmel has already made it clear he doesn't really care much for GT.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Don't be silly, they wouldn't have discarded the masters. They'll still exist somewhere at Ocean, or the remains of AB Groupe, or something. They wouldn't be so irresponsible as to destroy every officially-held copy.
My guess is that if anyone still has the original masters for the Westwood and Blue Water dubs its Ocean Studios. As far as I know Dragon Ball is one of the franchises they are best known for, and indeed they provided the original English voices for the cast, so ideally they'd want to keep them for archival purposes. They also seemed to care enough to want to recast a more faithful Goku and get name pronunciations right. I look at that and look at AB Groupe, who seemingly just saw the series as another throwaway kids fad that wouldn't stick around, so much so that they didn't strike while the iron was hot and use Ocean for the movies or try to put out a home release of anything other than the movies, I have my doubts they'd care enough to hang on to the masters.

I hope Ocean (or maybe Turner) still has them. If Kai airs on Wow and does well it would be a nice treat if they could acquire the older Canadian dubs and re-air them for old YTV fans and adults introducing their kids to the series who might appreciate more Ocean dubbed Dragon Ball on the airwaves.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:25 pm

MistaL wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
C. Smith wrote:
Well he "taught" Lex Lang how to properly voice Goku (which somehow ultimately resulted in Lang giving one of the worst English portrayals of Goku), and Blum was just in a GT game and Schemmel has already made it clear he doesn't really care much for GT.
I never expected Lang to be a great Goku. I mean, yes, he's a great VA, but I can't say he's a perfect fit for the character.

Oddly enough, he worked quite well as Gohan in the Final Bout game.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 pm

MistaL wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Oddly enough he doesn't have any problems with Lex Lang and Steve Blum.
Well he "taught" Lex Lang how to properly voice Goku
That's just a rumour.
MistaL wrote:which somehow ultimately resulted in Lang giving one of the worst English portrayals of Goku
I still don't get the hate people throw at Lang's Goku... It's different, sure, but bad? No, I think it's a rather neat alternate portrayal.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MistaL wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Oddly enough he doesn't have any problems with Lex Lang and Steve Blum.
That's just a rumour.
Schemmel actually confirmed that was totally untrue on Twitter following TotallyNotMark's video that perpetuated the rumour.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MistaL wrote:
That's just a rumour.
MistaL wrote:which somehow ultimately resulted in Lang giving one of the worst English portrayals of Goku
I still don't get the hate people throw at Lang's Goku... It's different, sure, but bad? No, I think it's a rather neat alternate portrayal.
It just doesn't sound Goku to me.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MistaL wrote:
That's just a rumour.
Lang's portrayal just isn't right. Like, throw shade at Schemmel all you want if anyone here does, but at least from day 1, he was decent in the role at worst, it's just that he couldn't act worth a damn. I mean, he was told to imitate Kelamis to the best of his ability, which isn't too far off from his regular voice. Lang just sounds out of his element with Goku. Trying to go more high pitched with Goku doesn't sound good on anyone whose vocal chords don't lend themselves to it. I don't even like when Schemmel does it that much, but at least it doesn't sound completely unnatural when he does it. I mean, I don't have other reference for much of his other work, so I don't know how he does normally, but I don't think he was the best choice for Goku, especially when we have 3, or 4 if you're feeling generous to Kirby Morrow, or 5 if you include Blue Water, but rarely anyone does, previous portrayals in the previous dubs of Z to compare him to.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 am

WittyUsername wrote:As I mentioned a while back, I think any problems that Schemmel has had or currently has with the other English voices for Goku might just be the result of having been unfavorably compared to them in the past. He might’ve had particular issue with Peter Kelamis because Kelamis had been praised a lot for his performance in the movies, and prior to Kai, there was a fair amount of people who considered him to be the definitive English voice for Goku. I’m not saying it isn’t petty on Schemmel’s part, but I figured it’s worth keeping in mind that he wasn’t always considered the definitive English speaking Goku.
Really? Maybe not here but in general I’ve seen people act like Sean Schemmel is THE ONLY English voice for Goku

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:As I mentioned a while back, I think any problems that Schemmel has had or currently has with the other English voices for Goku might just be the result of having been unfavorably compared to them in the past. He might’ve had particular issue with Peter Kelamis because Kelamis had been praised a lot for his performance in the movies, and prior to Kai, there was a fair amount of people who considered him to be the definitive English voice for Goku. I’m not saying it isn’t petty on Schemmel’s part, but I figured it’s worth keeping in mind that he wasn’t always considered the definitive English speaking Goku.
Really? Maybe not here but in general I’ve seen people act like Sean Schemmel is THE ONLY English voice for Goku
I'm sure there's probably casual fans out there who got into the series through Kai on Nicktoons/Kix and are under the impression he is the only English Goku. If and when this dub airs it will be interesting to see the reaction to Richard Ian Cox's portrayal, however it ends up sounding.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
I was talking specifically about the pre-Kai days. Schemmel certainly wasn’t considered the definitive Goku back in 1999.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I look at that and look at AB Groupe, who seemingly just saw the series as another throwaway kids fad that wouldn't stick around, so much so that they didn't strike while the iron was hot and use Ocean for the movies or try to put out a home release of anything other than the movies, I have my doubts they'd care enough to hang on to the masters.
a throwaway kids fad that wouldn't stick around, eh? Does that explain why the French dub is one of the first European dubs of the series ever, or how dubs like the German dub and Big Green (let alone Westwood Z and Blue Water GT) were done near the end of the original French run...that is when they haven't come straight up after said run has finished?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.