Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Alright, let's give this another go, then. This time with sources, where I've been able to find them.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:15 pm

If I were you, I'd make a section called "Voices that are not returning" and put the former voices of Goku, Frieza and Tien there.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Alright, let's give this another go, then. This time with sources, where I've been able to find them.
Impressive amount of data collected about the Ocean Dub Kai but still no official date when it's airing. :(

This dub needs to air so that it can be preserved otherwise it'll just go to waste completely.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:16 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Impressive amount of data collected about the Ocean Dub Kai but still no official date when it's airing. :(

This dub needs to air so that it can be preserved otherwise it'll just go to waste completely.
Hate to break it to you, but there's really not a lot of hope for this dub airing. This thread itself is over 8 years old, since that was the earliest that a dub could be produced for Kai, since it started in 2009. No station seems interested in airing it, since it's an almost 10 year old show that's already aired & distributed in every English speaking country with FUNi's dub. At this point, it would mostly be appealing to nostalgic dub fans, which I don't think a lot of networks are looking to do outside of Toonami.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Scsigs wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Impressive amount of data collected about the Ocean Dub Kai but still no official date when it's airing. :(

Hate to break it to you, but there's really not a lot of hope for this dub airing. This thread itself is over 8 years old, since that was the earliest that a dub could be produced for Kai, since it started in 2009. No station seems interested in airing it, since it's an almost 10 year old show that's already aired & distributed in every English speaking country with FUNi's dub. At this point, it would mostly be appealing to nostalgic dub fans, which I don't think a lot of networks are looking to do outside of Toonami.
If you'll read back over the past few pages there's been a number of developments. The head of a new Canadian channel has showed strong interest in airing Ocean Kai specifically after being advised to by fans on Twitter. It's been inadvertently confirmed that she's been in talks with Toei over the matter so there's still a chance.

While I agree this dub is a niche, it will be really cool for those who've held out hope since 2010, and I'm still somewhat curious myself.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:45 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

If you'll read back over the past few pages there's been a number of developments. The head of a new Canadian channel has showed strong interest in airing Ocean Kai specifically after being advised to by fans on Twitter. It's been inadvertently confirmed that she's been in talks with Toei over the matter so there's still a chance.

While I agree this dub is a niche, it will be really cool for those who've held out hope since 2010, and I'm still somewhat curious myself.
I agree. This dub has had a lot of bad luck and missed opportunities (I'm looking at you Kix) over the years and before anyone reached out to Marni things were looking very, very bad. Right now it still feels unlikely, but since we know Marni has been talking to Ocean and TOEI and neither has ruled out the possibility there is still a chance it could air on WOW TV, not a likelihood, but a chance and that is not something we've been able to say consistently over the years about this dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:15 am

90sDBZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Look, I'm just speaking realistically. I know that these developments have been happening, since I've been following this thread for a while. However, with the slowness of these developments, it's not like there's anything to look forward to any time soon. I mean, we have more hope of KH3 not just being a huge prank by Square Enix. Let's be honest here.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:36 am

Scsigs wrote:Look, I'm just speaking realistically. I know that these developments have been happening, since I've been following this thread for a while. However, with the slowness of these developments, it's not like there's anything to look forward to any time soon. I mean, we have more hope of KH3 not just being a huge prank by Square Enix. Let's be honest here.
These things take time. It's not quick, and a lot of work has to be done to ensure that Ocean dub Kai most certainly makes it and nothing out of whack happens. There's Wow building up their channel (and that includes developing their own content for the channel), and Wow negotiating with Toei and Ocean for Ocean dub Kai, and maybe some other companies to acquire anime titles in addition to Kai. All of that takes time and it's not easy. Also expect the channel to launch by April 2019 at the earliest.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Scsigs wrote:Look, I'm just speaking realistically. I know that these developments have been happening, since I've been following this thread for a while. However, with the slowness of these developments, it's not like there's anything to look forward to any time soon. I mean, we have more hope of KH3 not just being a huge prank by Square Enix. Let's be honest here.
Of course Ocean Kai's taking its time to get aired. The channel it's gonna air on hasn't premiered yet (right?). I believe we should have the channel by April.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Yeah, and the fact that they didn't even sign a TV deal with any Canadian broadcast company was a missed opportunity.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:59 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah, and the fact that they didn't even sign a TV deal with any Canadian broadcast company was a missed opportunity.
I'm just going with your signature, for my own personal sanity.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah, and the fact that they didn't even sign a TV deal with any Canadian broadcast company was a missed opportunity.
I do wonder if a TV deal fell through at some point, or if a channel bought the rights and sat on them (maybe even sold them to WOW).

I just don't understand how any investor could afford to pay for a dub without having any sort of plan for how it could make a return other than some vague hopes of a TV deal.

Although, hopefully by the time April rolls around this will all be water under the bridge.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I do wonder if a TV deal fell through at some point, or if a channel bought the rights and sat on them (maybe even sold them to WOW).

I just don't understand how any investor could afford to pay for a dub without having any sort of plan for how it could make a return other than some vague hopes of a TV deal.

Although, hopefully by the time April rolls around this will all be water under the bridge.
Maybe, maybe not.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:58 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

A lot of people assume there's a particular reason a given work doesn't see the light of day, especially in a case like Ocean Kai, in which we're seeing it coming now at last.

Truth is, 99% of the time with these things, it's just a case of nothing happening. Most likely there were TV deals being negotiated, which eventually just came to nothing, and no other TV stations showed interest. Very rarely in showbiz does something not happen for a specific reason. (Exception being cancellations, though I would argue a cancellation is something happening, it's just a very bad thing happening)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 am

I think what's more shocking is that they decided to produce all 98 episodes before a deal was secured. I would totally understand if they only dubbed a small batch of, say, 3-13 episodes. Even if they didn't secure a TV deal, it would make sense to do that, because then they could use that small batch of completed episodes as a way of negotiating with with potential TV networks: they'd have something to show them as an "example" of how the show would sound, and they could also say, "And if you pick us up now, we've already got a batch of episodes ready to air."

To produce all 98 episodes before a deal was secured, though? Not the wisest move, in my opinion.

Then again, it's not unprecedented in show biz for expensive stuff to be produced only for nothing to come of it. As one of many examples, Kevin Smith revealed in a documentary that, apparently, Prince had tons of completed music videos--not just "rough draft" videos, but fully-produced videos with choreography, costumes, sets, cinematography, the whole nine yards--that he made and just decided not to release.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SheonGT

Post by SheonGT » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:01 pm

I wish whoever holds the rights to Ocean dub Kai would just release it as a niche collector’s edition of Kai through didigital platforms at least. Pretty much pure profit because the printing of DVDs is not involved
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:41 pm

SheonGT wrote:I wish whoever holds the rights to Ocean dub Kai would just release it as a niche collector’s edition of Kai through didigital platforms at least. Pretty much pure profit because the printing of DVDs is not involved
Sure, to us, it's as simple as that. But to both Ocean and Toei who seem to have skewed perceptions on how things actually work nowadays, especially Toei, that's not gonna happen.

Hold on to this possible broadcast deal, because that's the best you're going to feasibly get.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:33 am

SheonGT wrote:I wish whoever holds the rights to Ocean dub Kai would just release it as a niche collector’s edition of Kai through didigital platforms at least. Pretty much pure profit because the printing of DVDs is not involved
As awesome as that would be, it's not doable, as FUNimation has the rights to Kai in almost every capacity in all English territories. They've got the streaming rights, the home video rights, and the TV broadcast rights (for the most part). Literally the only rights they didn't secure were Canadian TV broadcast rights, meaning that that is, unfortunately, the only chance we'll ever have of seeing the dub.

Well, that or somebody pays Wikileaks an obscene amount of money to hack into Ocean's hard drives in Vancouver and steal the episodes. That said, I'm not holding my breath on that one. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:19 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:As awesome as that would be, it's not doable, as FUNimation has the rights to Kai in almost every capacity in all English territories. They've got the streaming rights, the home video rights, and the TV broadcast rights (for the most part). Literally the only rights they didn't secure were Canadian TV broadcast rights, meaning that that is, unfortunately, the only chance we'll ever have of seeing the dub.

Well, that or somebody pays Wikileaks an obscene amount of money to hack into Ocean's hard drives in Vancouver and steal the episodes. That said, I'm not holding my breath on that one. :lol:
What about Bang Zoom! buys the rights to air and release it on home video (Blu-ray & DVD) in India?

Amazon sells in India so in theory we could order and have it dispatched to our houses. If only Bang Zoom! did that for us. :P Think of it like a Limited Edition release without specifying numbers (how FUNimation printed the Dragon Boxes Z and folks weren't aware it was limited).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:35 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:As awesome as that would be, it's not doable, as FUNimation has the rights to Kai in almost every capacity in all English territories. They've got the streaming rights, the home video rights, and the TV broadcast rights (for the most part). Literally the only rights they didn't secure were Canadian TV broadcast rights, meaning that that is, unfortunately, the only chance we'll ever have of seeing the dub.

What about Bang Zoom! buys the rights to air and release it on home video (Blu-ray & DVD) in India?

Amazon sells in India so in theory we could order and have it dispatched to our houses. If only Bang Zoom! did that for us. :P Think of it like a Limited Edition release without specifying numbers (how FUNimation printed the Dragon Boxes Z and folks weren't aware it was limited).
Wrong thread to talk about that, but considering that that dub was an alternate recording that was only ever meant for TV airings, like a lot alternate English dubs for Toonami Asia, they most likely wont do that. Same as how the later Ocean dub was handled, with it never being released on home media even in Europe where it was intended for. Seeing as they never dubbed it uncut or completely dubbed the episodes like FUNi went back & did, it's safe to say that these things won't happen, no matter how people might want them to.