Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:20 am

If only, if fucking only. But could you imagine how much disk space that would use up?
Well, the orange bricks had 3 tracks, Eng 5.1, Eng Stereo, Japanese Mono.

On a Blu Ray, Audio would be like a small byte in comparison to the rest. I mean, They throw ads, director audio, menus with edited footage and music; so I don't see an extra track as a big deal at all.
Or even better, have interchangeable English performances for each character.
Yes, I want this undoubtedly.
Anyway I can't see Funimation releasing this dub themselves. There'd be too many disgruntled members of their in house cast not to mention Chris Sabat would be out of work!
.... and then there is that!
They did release the RtD set which was unexpected I admit but in hindsight it makes sense when you consider the DVD format was on it's last legs and they had no other way to profit from the Saban/Ocean footage other than one last DVD release. I think someone else is in charge of the dub but we'll probably never find out who.
I think it is like the same deal with the Dragonbox. It's limited, it's on an old format, plus it's not the complete series, thus if viewers want to watch the rest, they have no choice but to watch it with Sabat and friends.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:18 am

Puto wrote:Audio tracks don't really take much space on a Blu-ray.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:27 am

So, is there any new info regarding who else has been cast in this dub for Kai? Or can we expect a slow couple of weeks before any new news comes out?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:29 pm

TheWhiz wrote:So, is there any new info regarding who else has been cast in this dub for Kai? Or can we expect a slow couple of weeks before any new news comes out?
Slow weeks? Oh man, if only it were just that. The wait for this dub has been a slow four years! :lol:

It's important to remember that this dub has never been announced in an official capacity in any way, shape, or form. The only way we even know it is happening is from voice actors (or people who have spoken with them) talking about it. For that matter, talking about it when they're not really supposed to be. Here's the cast as we know it so far...

GOKU..........................................Richard Ian Cox
VEGETA.......................................Brian Drummond
PICCOLO, JEICE, and DR. BREIFS...Scott McNeil
FREEZA........................................Lee Tokar

It has also been suggested by a couple sources that this dub will feature a mix of voice actors based in Vancouver (the "Ocean cast") and Calgary (the "Blue Water cast"). It seems like most of the big roles are going to people in Vancouver's talent pool, whereas a lot of the smaller roles are going to people in Calgary's talent pool. We know, for example, that Brian Drummond, despite coming back as Vegeta, will not be coming back as Yajirobe, and that whoever is playing him now will be a member of the Blue Water cast.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:08 pm

So, I previously didn't really care about this, but....I've been watching Inuyasha for the first time lately, and I really, really like Richard Ian Cox's voice acting. I can't wait to see how his Goku turns out.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:11 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TheWhiz wrote:So, is there any new info regarding who else has been cast in this dub for Kai? Or can we expect a slow couple of weeks before any new news comes out?
Slow weeks? Oh man, if only it were just that. The wait for this dub has been a slow four years! :lol:

It's important to remember that this dub has never been announced in an official capacity in any way, shape, or form. The only way we even know it is happening is from voice actors (or people who have spoken with them) talking about it. For that matter, talking about it when they're not really supposed to be. Here's the cast as we know it so far...

GOKU..........................................Richard Ian Cox
VEGETA.......................................Brian Drummond
PICCOLO, JEICE, and DR. BREIFS...Scott McNeil
FREEZA........................................Lee Tokar

It has also been suggested by a couple sources that this dub will feature a mix of voice actors based in Vancouver (the "Ocean cast") and Calgary (the "Blue Water cast"). It seems like most of the big roles are going to people in Vancouver's talent pool, whereas a lot of the smaller roles are going to people in Calgary's talent pool. We know, for example, that Brian Drummond, despite coming back as Vegeta, will not be coming back as Yajirobe, and that whoever is playing him now will be a member of the Blue Water cast.
Yeah, this thread would be buzzing with discussion if new news came out every week :lol: :lol: As short as his role was, I hope Scott Mcneil voices "Farmer in Field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0JPO7gzHwY

As Scott Mcneil says in this video, he was born for that role :lol: :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Agreed, I hope he gets that role back too! Scott McNeil did actually say that he's playing "everybody I played before," so there's a good chance he will. He has occasionally forgotten what roles he has played though (not that I blame him given the length of his resume), so that's not a guarantee.

I guess I also forgot to note one other officially confirmed role: Michael Dobson as Napa. His resume, available online, lists that as a role he played both for DBZ and for Kai. So, the inspiration for Takahata101's Napa shall be heard once again. It also strongly suggests that, if they even re-auditioned Napa, they really must have re-auditioned everybody (or, at least, everybody who most recently played their respective roles in the Ocean dub...Ian Corlett and Peter Kelamis, for example, said they didn't re-audition for Goku).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:12 pm

According to Lee Tockar, this baby's coming out soon! Guess at least the NDAA is over.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:13 pm

bkev wrote:According to Lee Tockar, this baby's coming out soon! Guess at least the NDAA is over.
Finally! Curious to see how they handle Kai.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 pm

This just made my day. Awesome news!

I'm a little confused though as it seems Toonami will for certain be airing the Funimation version, will this be coming to a Canadian alternative like Adult Swim or something?

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Well, I guess it's finally happening? Who knows how and where, though. I'm wondering how they're going to handle footage (ie edited or uncut) and music (Kikuchi or something else, maybe even MegaMan in some form).
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:45 pm

bkev wrote:According to Lee Tockar, this baby's coming out soon! Guess at least the NDAA is over.
So excited to finally be able to hear this dub! I just hope it meets my expectations as I wouldn't expect any less from the Ocean Kai dub. :D

Oh and in terms of music, I hope they don't use the Kikuchi replacement just anything else that sounds cinematic and modern will be much more fitting and suitable! :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:57 pm

:lol: Well, there is that one thread.....
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Been waiting for a sign, looks like I need to get moving on finding/buying a Sound Card to capture AC3 streams.
Looking forward to finding out who's returning, who's been replaced, and how well this new production sounds in comparison to the mess known as the Westwood dub, though I dread Blue Water's involvement.
Music wise, with the original Yamamoto score having been thrown away due to copyright reasons, unless an excellent dub score has been created, I don't expect much in the way of the BGM.

Only time will tell.
"Nobody's Real............"

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:52 pm

After 4 long years... it has finally happened! The new dub has emerged!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Aww man this is awesome news. I can't wait to hear Brian Drummond as Vegeta once more. Hopefully it'll start airing around January-February.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 pm

I'll be giddy if Richard Newman returns as Ginyu.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 pm

And that "soon" turns out to be another several years of waiting...

I'm just saying. :P

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Yeah, I'll believe it when I literally see it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!