Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Whatever happened to "Jizz Quiz"?
............The less we know, the better.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 pm

After doing some googling, I found that yes... it's been released and available on the internet, but it's harder to find than you'd think.

...and that's all I'm going to say on the subject.
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

With that out of the way, let's get back to talking about Ocean Kai and Wow Unlimited's upcoming channel.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Uh, can someone fill me in on this "jizz quiz"?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Me too. PM me if you must.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Responded via PM to avoid derailing the thread further.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 am

Robo4900 wrote:Everyone. Please stop slamming Schemmel. It's not nice.
Neither is attempting to block a genuinely good guy from coming to a convention for no valid reason other than "being Goku" and then when forced to be at the convention with said person, demand that they sign autographs on different floors AND on different days.
Robo4900 wrote:As I recall, Schemmel and Kelamis said that they talked the situation out, and figured it all out. We don't really know what went on, and Kelamis showed up to Kameha-Con as scheduled in the end, so it seems to have all blown over, so let's not all assume we know what went down, especially since making such an assumption leads to bashing a man who none of us know, and I imagine who not many of us have even met. You're entitled to think what you like, but being nasty about someone you don't even know in a situation like this is kind of horrible.
I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine, his name's Damage Control.

Especially with what I know went down at the actual convention, this is damage control and saving face from a mile away. Peter won't tell you that because he's just too good of a guy and will do anything not to rock the boat, god bless him.

I know this post is from 2 weeks ago (I just got caught up), and you are right in moral theory about passing judgement and all of that, but especially since the man in question has not genuinely done anything to redeem himself and will continue to spread lies about the Ocean dub and its actors, you don't really have any right to tell people how to feel or how to react to him, as well as pass judgement of your own in defense of that social charlatan.

And I am sorry, but that just really got to me. Not like we have anything else to talk about anyway. Yes, Wow! Unlimited has officially taken control of Comedy Gold and now we're here twiddling our thumbs again looking for some way to stretch out the conversation until the next step in this adventure is realized.

Although I will say this, fans of Comedy Now! are going to be really saddened by this overtaking of Wow! TV's whenever it takes place.

On a more positive note, I was really happy to hear about Brian Drummond's genuine love and enthusiasm for the franchise after all of these years, especially with the drought (Get it? Because it's the Ocean dub and oceans have water? No? Okay.) that we've had to endure for the past, nearly 15 years, damn. But at least the clock is ticking now where as before we didn't really have anything going on besides listening to opinions and hearsay.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 am

Can't say I'm too impressed by raiding DHX's closets, but hopefully, this is all just filler material when it comes to the linear channel.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:18 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Can't say I'm too impressed by raiding DHX's closets, but hopefully, this is all just filler material when it comes to the linear channel.
I mean, that's what I expected the network to mostly be. Rehashed material from either DHX, Corus, Bell, or streaming platforms such as Netflix and Amazon. But what their niche will be is in their original content as well as the various anime shows including but hopefully not limited to Dragon Ball. Those two aspects of the service is what I'm most looking forward to.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 am

Arian wrote:On a more positive note, I was really happy to hear about Brian Drummond's genuine love and enthusiasm for the franchise after all of these years, especially with the drought (Get it? Because it's the Ocean dub and oceans have water? No? Okay.) that we've had to endure for the past, nearly 15 years, damn. But at least the clock is ticking now where as before we didn't really have anything going on besides listening to opinions and hearsay.
I guess it's hard when the project your most excited for (in this case Ocean Kai) is the one your not supposed to talk about. Thankfully Copy Vegeta gave Drummond something new to promote without fear of angry phone calls, and now that the fanbase have embraced that cameo with open arms and there's a chance Ocean Kai could air I have to imagine Drummond is looking forward to having a place in the franchise for (hopefully) years to come.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Can't say I'm too impressed by raiding DHX's closets, but hopefully, this is all just filler material when it comes to the linear channel.
I mean, it's a new channel, so I'm not expecting them to spend a huge amount of money on newly acquired content because they have to build themselves from the ground up. Although, I don't live in Canada anymore so all I'm looking forward to is Kai, which we hopefully won't be kept in the dark about for much longer.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:52 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I mean, it's a new channel, so I'm not expecting them to spend a huge amount of money on newly acquired content because they have to build themselves from the ground up. Although, I don't live in Canada anymore so all I'm looking forward to is Kai, which we hopefully won't be kept in the dark about for much longer.
So you mean to say you're NOT Irish? :o

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 am

Maybe some of those shows will air on the new channel once it's up and running, but looks like it is mainly for another channel/ streaming service of theirs. If these shows do come to the new channel then it will definitely be early morning content for little kids, which I think is a nice touch. Given that companies have merged, Wow! will now have access to a lot of shows already in existence, got to do something with them.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:20 am

Arian wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
So you mean to say you're NOT Irish? :o
I am Irish and I've lived here for the vast majority of my life, except the few months here and there my dad worked in America and my exchange year in college (which is when I lived in Canada).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Arian wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Everyone. Please stop slamming Schemmel. It's not nice.
Neither is attempting to block a genuinely good guy from coming to a convention for no valid reason other than "being Goku" and then when forced to be at the convention with said person, demand that they sign autographs on different floors AND on different days.
Robo4900 wrote:As I recall, Schemmel and Kelamis said that they talked the situation out, and figured it all out. We don't really know what went on, and Kelamis showed up to Kameha-Con as scheduled in the end, so it seems to have all blown over, so let's not all assume we know what went down, especially since making such an assumption leads to bashing a man who none of us know, and I imagine who not many of us have even met. You're entitled to think what you like, but being nasty about someone you don't even know in a situation like this is kind of horrible.
I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine, his name's Damage Control.

Especially with what I know went down at the actual convention, this is damage control and saving face from a mile away. Peter won't tell you that because he's just too good of a guy and will do anything not to rock the boat, god bless him.

I know this post is from 2 weeks ago (I just got caught up), and you are right in moral theory about passing judgement and all of that, but especially since the man in question has not genuinely done anything to redeem himself and will continue to spread lies about the Ocean dub andits actors, you don't really have any right to tell people how to feel or how to react to him, as well as pass judgement of your own in defense of that social charlatan.

And I am sorry, but that just really got to me. Not like we have anything else to talk about anyway. Yes, Wow! Unlimited has officially taken control of Comedy Gold and now we're here twiddling our thumbs again looking for some way to stretch out the conversation until the next step in this adventure is realized.

Although I will say this, fans of Comedy Now! are going to be really saddened by this overtaking of Wow! TV's whenever it takes place.

On a more positive note, I was really happy to hear about Brian Drummond's genuine love and enthusiasm for the franchise after all of these years, especially with the drought (Get it? Because it's the Ocean dub and oceans have water? No? Okay.) that we've had to endure for the past, nearly 15 years, damn. But at least the clock is ticking now where as before we didn't really have anything going on besides listening to opinions and hearsay.
Schemmel does respect Scott McNeil, though. They were at a con together.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Schemmel does respect Scott McNeil, though. They were at a con together.
McNeil has done voice-overs for FUNimation so that doesn't surprise me too much.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Arian wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Schemmel does respect Scott McNeil, though. They were at a con together.
McNeil has done voice-overs for FUNimation so that doesn't surprise me too much.
I don’t think Schemmel has that much of an attachment to FUNimation. He almost exclusively only works with them for Dragon Ball related projects these days.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Arian wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don’t think Schemmel has that much of an attachment to FUNimation. He almost exclusively only works with them for Dragon Ball related projects these days.
What I meant was, since he came into the fold, he wouldn't disrespect Scott the way he would disrespect the others. Especially the Gokus.

I'm not saying Schemmel bleeds FUNimation colors, but it seems to help if you've been part of their in-house casts if this is any way to look at it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 am

Arian wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Arian wrote:
What I meant was, since he came into the fold, he wouldn't disrespect Scott the way he would disrespect the others. Especially the Gokus.

I'm not saying Schemmel bleeds FUNimation colors, but it seems to help if you've been part of their in-house casts if this is any way to look at it.
As far as I can tell, the only Ocean voice actors he’s ever had problems with have been the ones who voiced Goku.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:24 pm

He shouldn't have any problems with them because he should know by now that he's considered the definitive English Goku.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:13 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:He shouldn't have any problems with them because he should know by now that he's considered the definitive English Goku.
The main issue is that Schemmel believe he's the one and ONLY Goku, and any other English VA who voices him he'll decry to the extreme.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:30 pm

You know I am REALLY looking forward to Scott McNeil's return to Jeice! I have an irrational attachment to that performance and character. It was just such a stand out to hear that voice among characters like the Ginyu Force.

He's from space Birmingham.

NOT.
SPACE.
AUSTRALIA!!
(although that was fun too)
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep