Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: According to this tweet, it seems they have gotten her back.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SafHen/statu ... 347008?p=v
Maybe, yeah.
I hope it's true. Henderson doesn't strike me as someone who would lie.
Well, she only said she "got to do more," so it's kinda ambiguous as to what she meant exactly.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:01 pm

I would also like to hear them using the minor swears like "damn," "hell," and "bastard" because that would be a total first. We got a taste of that from Funimation for the Ultimate Uncut (where it almost seemed like they were doing it just to do it sometimes), but I want to hear Brian Drummond say all of those words lol Scott McNeil too. I just hope that they'd get different voice actors for some of their original casting choices. When we saw Babidi interacting with Dabura, it sounded like Krillin interacting with Piccolo lol That's if they even got that far, but I don't see why they wouldn't if it actually does end up being released.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Maybe, yeah.
I hope it's true. Henderson doesn't strike me as someone who would lie.
Well, she only said she "got to do more," so it's kinda ambiguous as to what she meant exactly.
She said that she got temporarily replaced by someone, and that someone is Jillian Michaels.
TheGreatness25 wrote:I would also like to hear them using the minor swears like "damn," "hell," and "bastard" because that would be a total first. We got a taste of that from Funimation for the Ultimate Uncut (where it almost seemed like they were doing it just to do it sometimes), but I want to hear Brian Drummond say all of those words lol Scott McNeil too. I just hope that they'd get different voice actors for some of their original casting choices. When we saw Babidi interacting with Dabura, it sounded like Krillin interacting with Piccolo lol That's if they even got that far, but I don't see why they wouldn't if it actually does end up being released.
Ocean hasn't dubbed the Buu saga. I wouldn't mind if they dubbed, just to hear Brad Swaile as Gohan again.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:09 pm

I thought I'd post this in this topic as it's Ocean related. Jerome Mazandarani head of Manga UK recently replied to a tweet regarding a UK release of the Rock the Dragon Collection and seemed enthusiastic about it and said he's making enquiries. It's not Ocean Kai but it could be something for the Ocean fans here to get excited about at least.

https://twitter.com/Eater_of_Foods/stat ... 7481798657

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:49 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I thought I'd post this in this topic as it's Ocean related. Jerome Mazandarani head of Manga UK recently replied to a tweet regarding a UK release of the Rock the Dragon Collection and seemed enthusiastic about it and said he's making enquiries. It's not Ocean Kai but it could be something for the Ocean fans here to get excited about at least.

It's just a UK release of Rock of the Dragon collection. And that came out like four years ago.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I thought I'd post this in this topic as it's Ocean related. Jerome Mazandarani head of Manga UK recently replied to a tweet regarding a UK release of the Rock the Dragon Collection and seemed enthusiastic about it and said he's making enquiries. It's not Ocean Kai but it could be something for the Ocean fans here to get excited about at least.

I would be over the moon if that happened. Recently I've been looking for deals on the Ocean dub releases, including the Rock the Dragon set and Pioneer singles, the prices for both are out of my budget but I'd like to have this content in some form for my collection. I did get the uncut movie trilogy for a good deal, which was fantastic but I still need episodes 1-53 and the TV edit of Tree of Might. If MangaUK puts out their own version of Rock the Dragon I should be able to get them at a reasonable price. Granted it will probably be a watered down version of the US set in standard DVD packaging but its better than nothing at this stage.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 pm

That's… odd. The Rock the Dragon set is region free :|
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:20 pm

SX10 wrote:That's… odd. The Rock the Dragon set is region free :|
It was only released in the US though, so it was expensive to import to the UK. I personally ended up holding off on buying it in its first run for this reason, hoping it would eventually get a release here in the UK. Looks like it might now, which is nice. :D

Anyway, at the very least it might get some buzz running on Ocean-dubbed Dragon Ball here in the UK.
8000 Saiyan wrote:She said that she got temporarily replaced by someone, and that someone is Jillian Michaels.
She went on maternity leave around the time Gohan goes into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber -- about the same time as Peter Kelamis left, coincidentally -- and didn't come back until the Boo arc was underway, so I assume they decided to just continue to use Jillian Michaels for the young members of the Son family.
Saffron Henderson said she "Got to do more", so I'd imagine that means she's back for Ocean Kai.

For the record, I actually do hope they bring Jillian Michaels back as Goten if they do the Boo arc. I was never over the moon on her portrayal of Gohan, but I loved her Goten.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
It was only released in the US though, so it was expensive to import to the UK. I personally ended up holding off on buying it in its first run for this reason, hoping it would eventually get a release here in the UK. Looks like it might now, which is nice. :D

Anyway, at the very least it might get some buzz running on Ocean-dubbed Dragon Ball here in the UK.
8000 Saiyan wrote:She said that she got temporarily replaced by someone, and that someone is Jillian Michaels.
She went on maternity leave around the time Gohan goes into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber -- about the same time as Peter Kelamis left, coincidentally -- and didn't come back until the Boo arc was underway, so I assume they decided to just continue to use Jillian Michaels for the young members of the Son family.
Saffron Henderson said she "Got to do more", so I'd imagine that means she's back for Ocean Kai.

For the record, I actually do hope they bring Jillian Michaels back as Goten if they do the Boo arc. I was never over the moon on her portrayal of Gohan, but I loved her Goten.
At least, she didn't have a rasp like Edwards did, which I liked. The acting unfortunately wasn't exactly the best, due to the direction. She could do much better now.

And yes, I know about Henderson going on maternity leave.
TheGreatness25 wrote:I would also like to hear them using the minor swears like "damn," "hell," and "bastard" because that would be a total first. We got a taste of that from Funimation for the Ultimate Uncut (where it almost seemed like they were doing it just to do it sometimes), but I want to hear Brian Drummond say all of those words lol Scott McNeil too. I just hope that they'd get different voice actors for some of their original casting choices. When we saw Babidi interacting with Dabura, it sounded like Krillin interacting with Piccolo lol That's if they even got that far, but I don't see why they wouldn't if it actually does end up being released.
I think we're likely to get an edited dub, not an uncut dub, although apparently Scott McNeil has said that the dub is uncut.
NitroEX wrote:If you've seen many Ocean dubs in the past, quite a few of the more kid friendly ones contain additional sound design on top of the Japanese track, the Pioneer movie dubs are an example of this as are the Westwood and Blue Water dubs. Frankly, I think Schemmel was exaggerating with his remarks about the sound effects being as bad as they are, he was probably still salty that another dub was being made to contend with his, plus, how much of the dub could he have realistically seen in 2010? I doubt he saw enough to properly judge the entire dub's sound design and music.

The "darker tone" remark was probably just referring to the music, but like with Schemmel, the actors wouldn't have seen too much of the dub beyond the scenes they were in so I'm not sure how accurate their review would really be.
He couldn't have seen most of the dub since the dub wasn't completed until 2013 or 2014. He likely saw a test dub.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 am

Scsigs wrote: Well, she only said she "got to do more," so it's kinda ambiguous as to what she meant exactly.
Not really. If you've researched her career well enough it's pretty easy to work out.

She got replaced as Gohan in 2001 whilst working on the Cell Saga in Westwood dub, this was because she got married and those plans conflicted with her voice roles at the time. Both her roles in Inuyasha were also recast. She moved to California a few years after that and worked on some things there including Naruto and Zatch Bell! before returning to Vancouver post-2005 where she's stayed since.

The fact that she mentions these things in order and then finishes it by saying she was "Temporarily replaced but got to do lots more" strongly indicates that she "got to do lots more" after coming back to Vancouver, which would be in 2010 when Kai came around. Also, unlike other actors in the Vancouver scene, she hasn't shied away from dubbing anime, she's been in everything Ocean dubbed from PPGZ, Black Lagoon to more recently, World Trigger. It's far more likely she is Gohan in Kai.
Robo4900 wrote: She went on maternity leave around the time Gohan goes into the Hyperbolic Time Chambe
Where did you get that from? According to this it was the wedding issue and I haven't seen any different claims.
I literally facepalmed after seeing this for myself. Just further proof of how ignorant this company is when it comes to Dragon Ball. To not know of a television only dub is one thing, but to not know of an official release... I have no words.

At any rate, I already imported the thing when it came out in 2013 and it plays just fine in region 2. MangaUK can get fucked.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:46 am

NitroEX wrote:Where did you get that from? According to this it was the wedding issue and I haven't seen any different claims.
Well, now I'm a little embarrassed; I got this from the Dragon Ball wikia years ago, and never questioned it.
Still though, I can't find any sources on that aside from TV Tropes, and as much as I do enjoy that site, it's far from a reputable source in terms of this kind of info.
NitroEX wrote:I literally facepalmed after seeing this for myself. Just further proof of how ignorant this company is when it comes to Dragon Ball. To not know of a television only dub is one thing, but to not know of an official release... I have no words.

At any rate, I already imported the thing when it came out in 2013 and it plays just fine in region 2. MangaUK can get fucked.
I would have said fair enough, but no need to say they can "Get fucked", that's taking it a bit far. He was friendly about it, and while it's pretty crazy Manga UK dropped the ball like this, they're trying to rectify the mistake.
Besides, Funimation may also be partially to blame; why didn't they offer it to Manga UK back when it was originally released.

Anyway, this is far from a bad thing. Prices for the box set online have been crazy since it went out of print, so many who held off on it at first -- such as myself -- didn't end up getting it in the first run, so it'll be nice for it to have a second printing.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:23 am

Robo4900 wrote:Well, now I'm a little embarrassed; I got this from the Dragon Ball wikia years ago, and never questioned it.
Still though, I can't find any sources on that aside from TV Tropes, and as much as I do enjoy that site, it's far from a reputable source in terms of this kind of info.
Yes, TV Tropes isn't a reliable source (which is why I checked with you to see if you had a source of your own) but IMDB also states that she has been married to Chris Pritchett since 2001. The timing matches when she was replaced in DBZ and Inuyasha so it seems the most likely cause when connecting the dots.
Robo4900 wrote:I would have said fair enough, but no need to say they can "Get fucked", that's taking it a bit far. He was friendly about it, and while it's pretty crazy Manga UK dropped the ball like this, they're trying to rectify the mistake.
Besides, Funimation may also be partially to blame; why didn't they offer it to Manga UK back when it was originally released.

Anyway, this is far from a bad thing. Prices for the box set online have been crazy since it went out of print, so many who held off on it at first -- such as myself -- didn't end up getting it in the first run, so it'll be nice for it to have a second printing.
I don't personally care if he's friendly about it, I don't owe a company like that special treatment, especially not after the way some of my favourite anime properties have been handled by them. If you're happy about this potential RTD release then fine but to me, it's a meaningless gesture knowing that he will never release the rest of it and is merely going to repackage this US release to make some quick cash. Aside from the fact that I already own this release, a UK version will likely also be inferior due to DVD PAL speed up. I'm just not interested at this point but that's not really the issue here, it's the ignorance and ineptitude that annoys me.

If they start providing a better service I'll consider being nicer to them but until then, they don't deserve my respect. Companies like Dicotek media and Anime Limited are companies worthy of praise in my opinion because they aren't ignorant and actually put in the work to give fans as much as possible, can't say the same for Manga or our boy Jerome.

As for Funimation, I can't say, but I would guess it's either because it's a limited release or they just planned for their RTD to essentially be a worldwide release. On the box it states regions 1, 2 and 4 which is pretty much everywhere except East Asia, so there was no reason not to order it (aside from postage costs, which turned out to be cheaper than scalper prices anyway). This was also the case for their single DVDs of the movies back in the day which were also playable in effectively all regions. Seems to be a bit of a shady business practice to me as it hurts foreign distributors but from a fan perspective, it's appreciated.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 am

How much do you want to be that they're not going to be getting the Rock the Dragon set out in the U.K.? That tweet doesn't give off a message to me that this person is in any hurry to work on that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm

NitroEX wrote:On the box it states regions 1, 2 and 4 which is pretty much everywhere except East Asia, so there was no reason not to order it (aside from postage costs, which turned out to be cheaper than scalper prices anyway).
This was the same for the Orange Bricks, they were made to be playable for regions 2 and 4 but Manga and Madman made their versions anyway, which benefited the people who couldn't afford to import. Regardless, both the Rock the Dragon set and complete Pioneer singles of episodes 1-53 and the movies are worth far more than what a MangaUK version would retail for.
TheGreatness25 wrote:How much do you want to be that they're not going to be getting the Rock the Dragon set out in the U.K.? That tweet doesn't give off a message to me that this person is in any hurry to work on that.
It really depends how much Funimation would charge for MangaUK to sublicence the dub and the Rock the Dragon set. Manga could pull out if its too much, but at the same time Dragon Ball Z (at least the original version, Kai not as much, at least on DVD) has sold well for them so they will more than likely want to find ways to milk it. I know lot of people have been asking for the movies, but I would rather see them release the Saban dub first. It would be their first release of the series other than the Yellow brick season 1 with the BLT movie that offers something the in-print Funimation releases don't.

As long as they keep all the recaps, next episode previews and the packaging and cover art is decent I'll gladly buy it.

Also, I won't hold my breath for a limited release for the Westwood and Blue Water dubs, and this Kai dub if the potential UK Rock the Dragon edition does well, but Manga... if you are reading... you won't regret it :wink:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Regardless, both the Rock the Dragon set and complete Pioneer singles of episodes 1-53 and the movies are worth far more than what a MangaUK version would retail for.
Exactly. Very few people can afford the Rock the Dragon set at the moment, which currently goes for around £140 on ebay. Furthermore the Pioneer Singles of both the show and the movies have always been region locked. If this doesn't happen then I'm really glad I imported it back when Funimation released it.

Another thing to consider is if they would omit the 3 movies from the release, seeing as they've been unable to license any of the Z movies to date possibly due to AB Groupe retaining the rights. At the end of the day it would still be a niche release, and at the moment people are more interested in Super and Buu Kai, but it would be good for those who missed out on it before.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:50 pm

NitroEX wrote:She got replaced as Gohan in 2001 whilst working on the Cell Saga in Westwood dub, this was because she got married and those plans conflicted with her voice roles at the time. Both her roles in Inuyasha were also recast. She moved to California a few years after that and worked on some things there including Naruto and Zatch Bell! before returning to Vancouver post-2005 where she's stayed since.

The fact that she mentions these things in order and then finishes it by saying she was "Temporarily replaced but got to do lots more" strongly indicates that she "got to do lots more" after coming back to Vancouver, which would be in 2010 when Kai came around. Also, unlike other actors in the Vancouver scene, she hasn't shied away from dubbing anime, she's been in everything Ocean dubbed from PPGZ, Black Lagoon to more recently, World Trigger. It's far more likely she is Gohan in Kai.
She didn't have a role in Gundam 00, Kurozuka, B-Daman Crossfire and Gintama, so saying she's been in everything Ocean has dubbed is not really true.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:59 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: She didn't have a role in Gundam 00, Kurozuka, B-Daman Crossfire and Gintama, so saying she's been in everything Ocean has dubbed is not really true.
True, I could've worded that better. My point wasn't that she's literally been in everything but rather that she has remained in Ocean anime dubs pretty consistently over the years (from 2006 to 2014). It's a good indicator that she would've auditioned and been apart of Kai when it came around, especially since Gohan is one of her former roles and unlike when she was replaced, she wasn't as busy this time with big life changes. She even worked on Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail around the same time they were doing Kai, it only makes sense that she would be apart of it.

Anyway, her tweet is confirmation enough if you ask me, there's really no need to debate this.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 am

I always did love me some Saffron Henderson Gohan (and even Goku). More so than any other subsequent English voice actress for Gohan, she conveyed a very realistic sounding child voice with great delivery and performance. I remember when they switched over to Funimation, one of the voices that I hated the most was Nadolny's Gohan just because I was used to a great interpretation of Gohan. Now Nadolny improved and I didn't really mind her in the end, but Saffron Henderson is one of those top 4 that I don't think will ever be toppled. See in the O.G. Dragon Ball dub, I had my "big four" which were Ian James Corlett (even though he was replaced before that run was even over), Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, and Saffron Henderson. I didn't really care if anyone else got replaced, but replacing my "big four" was a huge let-down.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:12 pm

It is now OOP, I had the chance to order it, didn't regretted it ever since. So this is would be sweet.

Though since MangaUK deal with Toei Europe not FUNi things maybe tricky, Toei Europe kinda suck tbh I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happened, MangaUK and FUNi had a fallout so if they somehow have to go through them then it isn't looking good on that end too.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
It is now OOP, I had the chance to order it, didn't regretted it ever since. So this is would be sweet.

Though since MangaUK deal with Toei Europe not FUNi things maybe tricky, Toei Europe kinda suck tbh I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happened, MangaUK and FUNi had a fallout so if they somehow have to go through them then it isn't looking good on that end too.
Toei Europe do suck at times, like how they don't seem to want to let Manga UK release Super yet despite Australia getting a home release with no TV deal.