Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Scsigs wrote:Wrong thread to talk about that, but considering that that dub was an alternate recording that was only ever meant for TV airings, like a lot alternate English dubs for Toonami Asia, they most likely wont do that. Same as how the later Ocean dub was handled, with it never being released on home media even in Europe where it was intended for. Seeing as they never dubbed it uncut or completely dubbed the episodes like FUNi went back & did, it's safe to say that these things won't happen, no matter how people might want them to.
Not really in the entire continent of Europe but selected countries in Scandinavia and UK. People always talk vaguely about "Europe" as if it's somehow a person or an organization (not to be confused with the EU). lol

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:31 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SheonGT wrote:I wish whoever holds the rights to Ocean dub Kai would just release it as a niche collector’s edition of Kai through didigital platforms at least. Pretty much pure profit because the printing of DVDs is not involved
As awesome as that would be, it's not doable, as FUNimation has the rights to Kai in almost every capacity in all English territories. They've got the streaming rights, the home video rights, and the TV broadcast rights (for the most part). Literally the only rights they didn't secure were Canadian TV broadcast rights, meaning that that is, unfortunately, the only chance we'll ever have of seeing the dub.
I'm still not convinced about the theory of companies like Funimation having "TV rights". Home video? In the case of North America most definitely, as Funimation has a say over whether other companies can release the Canadian dubs in stores (hence them never being released even in Canada), Madman and Manga UK could in theory release the alternate dubs on DVD/Blu-Ray because its them, not Funimation that is distributing to their regions, but for one reason or another they don't see the benefit. When it comes to TV though, I haven't seen any hard evidence to suggest Funimation can prevent other English dubs from airing. If anything the fact countries like Canada, Holland, Ireland and the UK broadcast both Funimations's dub and the Canadian dubs and Toonami Asia broadcast both Funi Z and Bang Zoom Super suggests that companies like Funi and AB have no say other than selling their version and its up to the broadcaster to decide what airs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:42 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:As awesome as that would be, it's not doable, as FUNimation has the rights to Kai in almost every capacity in all English territories. They've got the streaming rights, the home video rights, and the TV broadcast rights (for the most part). Literally the only rights they didn't secure were Canadian TV broadcast rights, meaning that that is, unfortunately, the only chance we'll ever have of seeing the dub.

Well, that or somebody pays Wikileaks an obscene amount of money to hack into Ocean's hard drives in Vancouver and steal the episodes. That said, I'm not holding my breath on that one. :lol:
What about Bang Zoom! buys the rights to air and release it on home video (Blu-ray & DVD) in India?

Amazon sells in India so in theory we could order and have it dispatched to our houses. If only Bang Zoom! did that for us. :P Think of it like a Limited Edition release without specifying numbers (how FUNimation printed the Dragon Boxes Z and folks weren't aware it was limited).
Bang Zoom isn't a distribution company, they're just a dubbing studio. Toonami India are the ones who commissioned the dub and own the rights in India, they just paid Bang Zoom to produce it, similarly to how the original Ocean dub was commissioned and owned by Funimation.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm

MistaL wrote:Bang Zoom isn't a distribution company, they're just a dubbing studio. Toonami India are the ones who commissioned the dub and own the rights in India, they just paid Bang Zoom to produce it, similarly to how the original Ocean dub was commissioned and owned by Funimation.
Aw, that's a shame. Let's hope the Ocean Kai dub airs sometime in 2019 at the very least and chances are, there'll be multiple fans who'll make high quality captures to preserve it.

By whenever that airs, a new thread should be opened then because this one's more for rumor-ish stuff.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SheonGT wrote:I wish whoever holds the rights to Ocean dub Kai would just release it as a niche collector’s edition of Kai through didigital platforms at least. Pretty much pure profit because the printing of DVDs is not involved
As awesome as that would be, it's not doable, as FUNimation has the rights to Kai in almost every capacity in all English territories. They've got the streaming rights, the home video rights, and the TV broadcast rights (for the most part). Literally the only rights they didn't secure were Canadian TV broadcast rights, meaning that that is, unfortunately, the only chance we'll ever have of seeing the dub.
I'm still not convinced about the theory of companies like Funimation having "TV rights". Home video? In the case of North America most definitely, as Funimation has a say over whether other companies can release the Canadian dubs in stores (hence them never being released even in Canada), Madman and Manga UK could in theory release the alternate dubs on DVD/Blu-Ray because its them, not Funimation that is distributing to their regions, but for one reason or another they don't see the benefit. When it comes to TV though, I haven't seen any hard evidence to suggest Funimation can prevent other English dubs from airing. If anything the fact countries like Canada, Holland, Ireland and the UK broadcast both Funimations's dub and the Canadian dubs and Toonami Asia broadcast both Funi Z and Bang Zoom Super suggests that companies like Funi and AB have no say other than selling their version and its up to the broadcaster to decide what airs.
You are correct. "TV rights" is not a thing. There's having the rights to offer your dub to TV stations, and there's TV stations buying a license to air a given dub, but there's no "Funimation buying the TV rights" in the sense people tend to throw it around in. No idea how this misconception got started, it's pure tripe.

As for Ocean Kai on DVD/BD... Maybe. Funi could in theory put out some kind of collector's box or something if they licensed this dub from Toei. But I wouldn't count on it. In fact, I would say it's almost certainly not going to happen. And no other distributor would do it. So, we can assume TV airings are all this dub is going to get.

It's worth noting this isn't a case of "it'll only be on tv, so pirate it all you want", though. Which is, I'm sure, what many people will read this as; if we want to see more of Ocean dubbing Dragon Ball, then it means the reverse; if you live in Canada, watch this show on TV. Talk to your Canadian friends, get them watching it. Talk about it on social media, get it known that you're watching and enjoying it. Make this a big enough success that we get a chance of an Ocean TFC. And remember, most of all, that if this isn't a success, if the rating simply aren't there, then Ocean Kai may not even get to the end of its 98-episode run. Given the dub's status(Already done, kind of old news as far as Toei's concerned since Super is the big thing now), Dragon Ball's history of success, etc., I imagine it will have a full 98-episode run, but do your part to support that, everyone. If you live outside of Canada, then I don't think there's any moral issue with pirating it, but if you do live in Canada, or you have any Canadian friends, do your part.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Let's hope the Ocean Kai dub airs sometime in 2019
I would be pretty surprised if it doesn't. I would say we can expect to see it either debut with the channel in April, or at least begin rounding up hype at that time in a lead-up to it airing.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:By whenever that airs, a new thread should be opened then because this one's more for rumor-ish stuff.
Agreed. This thread is long, unwieldy, and basically just symbolises the long-running "Dead" era of this dub. If/when it airs, we should get a new thread about the dub as a currently-airing thing. At the very least, it would mean any Canadian fans just joining the forums would be less intimidated, and less confused by this years-long thread of speculation and rumours with just a few pages of actually relevant content at the end about its current airing.

A fresh start when this dub gets on air would be nice.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:34 am

On the subject of pirating I'd like to add if anyone wishes to go down that route if and when this dub airs please ensure you have at least purchased the existing home releases of Kai, and in the unlikely event this dub gets a home release and you wish to have it longer be prepared to buy that version however it happens (digital, streaming subscription, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc). If you are on a budget ask for Kai as a birthday/christmas present, if this dub gets a limited release, you want to keep it in your possession and already own a release of Kai sell some of your stuff if you can't afford to double dip. If your in Canada, please watch it on TV and spread the word. Do whatever you need to do, just don't pirate with no intentions of ever supporting Kai. We don't want any more potential revenue for this dub lost.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:On the subject of pirating I'd like to add if anyone wishes to go down that route if and when this dub airs please ensure you have at least purchased the existing home releases of Kai, and in the unlikely event this dub gets a home release and you wish to have it longer be prepared to buy that version however it happens (digital, streaming subscription, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc). If you are on a budget ask for Kai as a birthday/christmas present, if this dub gets a limited release, you want to keep it in your possession and already own a release of Kai sell some of your stuff if you can't afford to double dip. If your in Canada, please watch it on TV and spread the word. Do whatever you need to do, just don't pirate with no intentions of ever supporting Kai. We don't want any more potential revenue for this dub lost.
I have mixed feelings on this idea, though I think if we do end up making a dent in official releases when Ocean Kai comes out, it would at least draw attention. Throw in social media talk and such, and who knows, it might have some kind of impact. Not sure it'd be the kind of impact that'd get it on DVD, but if we do want to see it on DVD, something like this would probably be the only way of doing it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:On the subject of pirating I'd like to add if anyone wishes to go down that route if and when this dub airs please ensure you have at least purchased the existing home releases of Kai, and in the unlikely event this dub gets a home release and you wish to have it longer be prepared to buy that version however it happens (digital, streaming subscription, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc). If you are on a budget ask for Kai as a birthday/christmas present, if this dub gets a limited release, you want to keep it in your possession and already own a release of Kai sell some of your stuff if you can't afford to double dip. If your in Canada, please watch it on TV and spread the word. Do whatever you need to do, just don't pirate with no intentions of ever supporting Kai. We don't want any more potential revenue for this dub lost.
Series
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Part 1 (DVD) [FUNimation Ver.] [Factory Sealed]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Part 1 (Blu-ray) [FUNimation Ver.] [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Part 2 (Blu-ray) [FUNimation Ver.] [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Part 3 (Blu-ray) [FUNimation Ver.] [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Part 4 (Blu-ray) [FUNimation Ver.] [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Part 4 (DVD) [FUNimation Ver.] [Used - As New]
Music
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Vol. I (Limited Edition) [Factory Sealed]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Vol. II (Standard Edition) [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Vol. III (Standard Edition) [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: The Complete Song Collection (Standard Edition) [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters - Original Soundtrack (iTunes Edition) [352 Kb/s ~ 385 Kb/s Bitrate]
Sucks Vol. IV was cancelled before it made its way to the market.

Games
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Attack of the Saiyans (Nintendo DS) [Used - As New]
I did own Parts 5-8 on Blu-ray but got rid of them (sold) because I frankly couldn't stand the mutilated Kikuchi score in Kai. I tried, but it was too much. Still, as bad as the Kikuchi Kai score was, I'd still take that over Sumitomo's in Kai TFC (it's like picking the lesser of two evils).
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Season 1 (DVD) [Madman Ver.] [Used - As New]
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Season 2 (DVD) [Madman Ver.] [Used - As New]
These two releases were authored by Madman but re-packaged by Manga UK (and I only bought them 'cause it has the Yamamoto score, well, for the most part).

Now, do I get your blessing? :P

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:07 pm

So, with 2018 ending, we can safely say that we'll wait until at least April 1 for any new updates concerning the new channel.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:02 am

With the thread going through one of it's quiet phases for a while now, no doubt something will come to light soon. Maybe some news in February?

It's nice to see how quietly impatient everyone is being :p fingers crossed.

Happy New Year when it comes!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 am

This thread was started 8 years ago.. every year people expect some news but nothing ever happens.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:37 am

LordCrumb wrote:This thread was started 8 years ago.. every year people expect some news but nothing ever happens.
There has been a wealth of information over the past year, especially the last 6-7 months.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 am

LordCrumb wrote:This thread was started 8 years ago.. every year people expect some news but nothing ever happens.
Wow TV's launch in April will be the moment of truth. We at the very least know from SX10's correspondence with Lisa that Ken Morrison was made aware of the channel and was hopeful a deal would be worked out. This kind of news was unprecedented in the 7 years it took for us to get this far, so that in itself, coming from the head of Ocean Studios himself was a huge step in the right direction. And thankfully there has been no indications of any problems arising and Marni has hinted all is good, so like Luke Skywalker we have a new hope in her and the best we can do is trust her to do everything she can despite all obstacles.

For sure, anything could happen and we shouldn't expect any guarantees, but none of this would have happened if all of us had just given up on this dub so I think for those of us who still really want to see this dub it will be worth it to stick around.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 am

Waaahhh!! I can't take the silence anymore :wtf:

We're closer to April, and we know they get that license from April 1st, but do we really know for sure if it will launch in April? They could get the license and still have work to do and launch it in summer? Wondering what your thoughts are :)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 am

I want to talk about it too! Thanks for posting, even if there is no new information. It will launch probably.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:41 am

I messaged Wow Unlimited Media! on Facebook to enquire about whether any progress has been made on the Canadian dub of Kai airing on their new channel. Their response was as follows:

Hi, discussions are on-going about that. Hopefully it will!

They sent this on January 30th, so not sure if Marni is still negotiating with Lisa, although I'd leave it to her now. My follow-up question to Wow was thanking them for the info and asking whether we can expect any programming announcements this month. Still waiting on a response, but hopefully if they can say we'll know when to expect a press release from Bell, or maybe a trailer (wouldn't count on that but it would be pretty awesome).

That's the only update I've heard. Not much, but at least we know as of last week Ocean Kai is still on the cards and Wow want it.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:14 pm

That's fantastic! Still very positive. Man they have been discussing it for a loooong time haha! Hopefully funding Final Chapters is part of that discussion. Wow could be home of the Ocean dub for all dragon ball content.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:19 pm

It's great to hear that Ocean Kai is very much still on the table. I was beginning to worry that negotiations didn't get anywhere and this dub wouldn't be brought up again by Wow. Thanks for letting us know about your inquiry, Dragon Ball Ireland.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 pm

i mostly want WOW to get anime so i can watch tv again

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I messaged Wow Unlimited Media! on Facebook to inquire about whether any progress has been made on the Canadian dub of Kai airing on their new channel. Their response was as follows:

Hi, discussions are on-going about that. Hopefully it will!

They sent this on January 30th, so not sure if Marni is still negotiating with Lisa, although I'd leave it to her now. My follow-up question to Wow was thanking them for the info and asking whether we can expect any programming announcements this month. Still waiting on a response, but hopefully if they can say we'll know when to expect a press release from Bell, or maybe a trailer (wouldn't count on that but it would be pretty awesome).

That's the only update I've heard. Not much, but at least we know as of last week Ocean Kai is still on the cards and Wow want it.
I don't expect Bell Media to actually put together a trailer for a press conference, but I'm almost positive they will make a promo to air on Wow! TV and other Bell-owned networks to hype it up through the power of television!

Needless to say, I'm hype! Been following the happenings since I joined in 2011 and the fact that we're farther than we've ever been says something.