Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Hopefully a home release would include an option to not use the replacement score.
This dub won't get a home release, it's a made-for TV dub.
We don't actually know that.
All we know is that this dub was produced for non-US markets like the UK and Canada. Some evidence suggests it was produced by Toei, and if that's the case, while they would 100% for certain focus on TV(Which would be the case anyway), there's no reason they would completely discount the idea of home releases.

If Toei did produce this dub, it's entirely possible they could work out a deal with Funi by which Funi puts out a Canada-only release of the Ocean dub.

Am I guessing? Yes. Because we have no idea about any of this. Assuming it was 100% for certain only made for TV ever is foolish, because we simply don't know. Early on, it was said by a couple of people people(I believe Kirbopher was one, I may be wrong, but it was someone with knowledge about its production) that it's possible they produced both a cut, and an uncut version. We don't know if they did that. In fact, if/when it airs(Given what Shulman's said, this is more of a when than an if), we still probably won't know, and may never know. Even if it was never intended for home video, an uncut version may very well have been produced for later timeslots.

Again, I have no idea about this for sure. But neither do you, and we may never know.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Do we know for sure what they're doing script wise? Are they going for accuracy like Funi did? I guess they might be using the same scripts.
Well, Ocean's dubs of the first three Z movies are known for being very accurate, so it's very likely that this dub could be accurate, even more accurate than Funi.

And we don't really know if they're using the same scripts.
My guess is that the script will more or less be identical to what Funimation used in the Nicktoons version. I'm sure someone will respond to me saying they only used the Funimation scripts for Z to save on time. That may be true, but we already know this dub's sharing footage with the Nicktoons version of Funimation's dub. Is it really that unlikely they share the script? The Blue Water dubs of DB/GT used footage from France so they were produced entirely independently of Z.
No, IIRC it's been said by those with insight into its production that it'll almost certainly use new scripts. Though I wouldn't discount the possibility that Funi borrowed some snippets from Ocean's dub for their edited version. I wouldn't count on it either, but it wouldn't be totally unexpected, especially given the masters sent to Funi almost certainly contained the audio tracks Ocean had ready for at least some pieces.
(I know Super Saiyan Prime didn't quote 8000 Saiyan and Forte224; it's just easier to group them up like this)
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:However, video-wise I don't understand how you'd believe this is anything other than an edited dub. This is produced for television. Every Canadian Dragon Ball produced for television has had edits. We know this dub has a replacement score. How many anime dubs use a replacement score, but are otherwise uncut? Why would the Nicktoons version of Funimation's dub credit Ocean for video editing? There are plenty of video houses in the United States. The only way it makes sense to have it done in Vancouver is if that video editing was going to be done regardless. Like it was produced for an alternate dub and instead of spending money doing their own edits, they just reused that footage.
All we know is that Ocean produced an edited video master, which Funimation licensed for their Kai dub.
Is that the only video master Ocean used for Kai? Maybe. Can we really know either way? Absolutely not.

The version that will air on Wow will almost certainly be an edited TV dub. But whether there's an uncut version or not is still a complete unknown. There's a lot of mysteries about this dub; why did they do all 98 episodes without a TV deal? Why is it only going to air now? Why wasn't it presented to Kix way back? Was it in fact presented to Kix, or were they lying about that to placate the fans? Who even produced it? Some evidence suggests Toei, and that would explain a hell of a lot, but we won't know for sure until it's aired.

Perhaps this is a TV-only dub, produced only ever to be seen with its edited video master and replacement score. That would make the most sense, and if Toei produced it(Which I'm still sceptical of, though it makes some sense, since Canada and Europe have generally preferred Ocean over Funi, and a Toei-produced dub would make more money for Toei than one produced third-party), it would gel with Toei's TV-centric attitudes...
But perhaps there is an uncut version. Perhaps they did voice recordings for uncut Kai that uses Ocean recordings, and had that ready in case the trigger ever needed to be pulled on that; it wouldn't take very much for them to script record just a little extra in case they ever needed it. Perhaps it was never assembled into an actual voice track for the uncut footage, perhaps it's been just left aside as something to use if the opportunity ever arose for it(A late-night airing, or a DVD release, or whatever), and maybe if they did assemble a proper voice track for it, they did use the Japanese score, or perhaps they didn't put a score to it at all, and it only exists as a voice track to be mixed and added to an M&E track if the opportunity ever arose to use it, but ultimately we just do not know at this time, and given how weird Toei have been in the past about a multitiude of things, and how weird Dragon Ball dubbing has been over the years in general, I wouldn't assume anything is off-limits.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Yu Gi Oh The Dark Side Of Dimesions is uncut but has a modified score. I think the Faulconer Funimation dub is sold uncut also.
Indeed. That is absolutely worth noting. We still don't know who produced this dub or what sensibilities went into its production, so it is entirely possible an uncut version was assembled for the case of late-night showings, perhaps with the replacement score getting a slightly alternate version produced for this hypothetical uncut version; it's likely not much would have had to be changed about it to do this, so... I don't know. Maybe.

Admittedly, I think it's most likely this will turn out to be an edited-only dub, but we really can't know for sure either way. Even once it airs, provided it's edited(And I'm sure it will be), we still may never know for certain if an uncut version does exist. Likely not, but... We can't say for sure either way. It's frustrating that we know so little about this dub, but once it airs, it'll clear up a hell of a lot.
gokaiblue wrote:Always interesting hearing about the potential for alternative Dragon Ball dubs. If this comes out, it'll be awesome (hopefully).
Given what Shulman has said about this, I'd say it's more of a when than an if, to be honest.

---

I realise that this post makes me look like a contrarian, pedantic twat, but misinformation being spread as fact is one of the biggest problems brought about in the internet age, and the Dragon Ball fandom has a particularly frustrating case of it for me, so I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page, and won't go around saying one thing, when in actual fact, we don't know this thing, or certain evidence suggests another thing, etc...
Hell, really, we don't know for sure whether Saffron Henderson is Gohan. She made a vague mention that heavily implies it on Twitter a while back, but I've never seen anything more concrete than that.

So... Basically, I just want to make sure everyone's on the same page about the fact that really, we don't know anything. We've heard a ton about what it might be, and we've even heard a few sprinklings of truth about what it definitely is(It definitely has an edited master, which was sold to Funi, we know for sure a few of the castings, we have a timeframe of when it was recorded, we know it's done), but really... We know basically nothing. And until it airs, we still won't know anything. Leading up to it airing, we may hear a few voices in trailers or something, and we may get some kind of cast list or something in a TV guide, but until it's actually on TV, we're unlikely to really know anything.

Really, we all just need to sit tight, and wait. If any new info turns up, then yes, that's absolutely worth discussing, but for the last few pages, we've mostly just been sharing the same recycled information, half of it assumed stuff we don't know for sure, and correcting each-other on stuff.

So... Chill out, friends. Have faith in Shulman, and wait patiently for the 31st of May.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat May 12, 2018 2:19 pm

^
I still think it's an if to be honest. We have the hearing on May 31st, but that's all we know. It is very likely though.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun May 13, 2018 9:59 am

So it's on the May 31st that the channel finally airs or something?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun May 13, 2018 10:42 am

^
May 31st is the date of the hearing to approve it (mainky the new channel I think).
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun May 13, 2018 12:34 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Always interesting hearing about the potential for alternative Dragon Ball dubs. If this comes out, it'll be awesome (hopefully).
Considering how long it took to make this dub, it has to be an awesome dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun May 13, 2018 3:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
This dub was produced within 2-3 years. That's not an abnormal amount of time to work on 98 episodes.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
This dub was produced within 2-3 years. That's not an abnormal amount of time to work on 98 episodes.
Hell, the FUNi dub was only produced in 3 years.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Didn't pre-production date back to like 2009?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 pm

This thread was posted in September 2010 and came as a result of Kirby Morrow spilling the casting call details in Trevor Devall's podcast. Assuming that episode wasn't recorded months earlier, or the auditions took place long before, it's easy to believe ADR production began in late 2010. Due to the CRTC's listing, we know the final mix on all 98 was done by April 1, 2014. However, the CRTC is slow, so we have no idea how long they had that info before approving it as a Cancon, nor do we know if Ocean immediately sent it off after finishing the show.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:This thread was posted in September 2010 and came as a result of Kirby Morrow spilling the casting call details in Trevor Devall's podcast. Assuming that episode wasn't recorded months earlier, or the auditions took place long before, it's easy to believe ADR production began in late 2010. Due to the CRTC's listing, we know the final mix on all 98 was done by April 1, 2014. However, the CRTC is slow, so we have no idea how long they had that info before approving it as a Cancon, nor do we know if Ocean immediately sent it off after finishing the show.
There is also the fact we know from David Steele that the "Dragonball Z Kai" track was produced sometime in 2009, and while we still don't know if that song was indeed used in the final product, it does mean that pre-production on the dub must have dated back to sometime in 2009.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 pm

For context, FUNimation said that work on their dub of Kai began in December of '09.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:02 pm

HOLY FUCK DAMN! Has it REALLY been that long? This is extremely sad. I really feel for every Ocean fan out there.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:HOLY FUCK DAMN! Has it REALLY been that long? This is extremely sad. I really feel for every Ocean fan out there.
For reference: Dragon Ball, Z, and GT went off the air in the UK in about 2006. 3 years later, in 2009, preproduction on Ocean Kai began. The year after, Kirby Morrow leaked that it was happening. And that was 8 years ago.

Additionally, in the time since 2006, the Ultimate Uncuts were cancelled, and in their place, we got the Orange Bricks, and all the other super-crap releases of Dragon Ball Funimation have put out, the Toonami Asia dub of Super went to Bang Zoom instead of Ocean, and also I've ended up hating Super... GT: Transformation was a side-scrolling beat-em-up instead of a sequel to Legacy Of Goku, and its sequel got cancelled, Kenji Yamamoto has turned out to be a mass plagiariser, and Sumitomo is an incredibly disappointing replacement...

Until Ocean Kai airs, everything to happen in Dragon Ball since (And including when) the series stopped airing here in 2006 has been a total bust for me, so you can imagine how I feel about this :lol:

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Yeah, Canadians have been waiting for the return of Dragon Ball on their airwaves. Hopefully, this new WOW channel will seal the deal on that front

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri May 18, 2018 9:15 am

Jean0987654321 wrote:Yeah, Canadians have been waiting for the return of Dragon Ball on their airwaves. Hopefully, this new WOW channel will seal the deal on that front
I hope that it comes for you guys sakes.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 am

So, how do you guys think Lee Tockar will do as Freeza? Do you think he will be good as Freeza? Will he potentially rival Chris Ayres? Or will he be in the middle?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat May 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, how do you guys think Lee Tockar will do as Freeza? Do you think he will be good as Freeza? Will he potentially rival Chris Ayres? Or will he be in the middle?
From what I've heard of him? Probably won't be as good as Ayres, no. But honestly, that's partially because Ayres may as well just be an English speaking Ryusei Nakao. He is absolutely supernatural as Freeza.
That being said, I'd say he probably has the potential to be as good as Derek Stephen Prince was, so not as perfect as Ayres but still pretty great. Mind you, I haven't heard much of the guy.

Hopefully we get to find out someday.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 1:20 pm

While Ayres is without a doubt, the best English-speaking Frieza we've ever got, he doesn't really sound anything like Nakao.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 19, 2018 5:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:While Ayres is without a doubt, the best English-speaking Frieza we've ever got, he doesn't really sound anything like Nakao.
Does he need to?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While Ayres is without a doubt, the best English-speaking Frieza we've ever got, he doesn't really sound anything like Nakao.
Does he need to?
Well, of course he doesn't need to.