Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am

The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am

So, I've watched those clips and wow, Scott sounds so much better than Sabat.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote: I wonder if Peras was auditioned for Bulma. I don't remember those really late episodes being on TV much when I was watching(From what I understand, France Peras took over from episode 246/261), so I don't really remember how she sounded as Bulma.
Coincidentally I uploaded a clip featuring her a while back. Here you go: https://streamable.com/2s4ta

I think it was a big step down from Maggie Blue O Hara but the timing of the switch just about coincided with the end of Z time-skip so it wasn't as noticeable. I think I always just sort of rationalized it as her voice changing due to age or something like that, even though that doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, according to her IMDB she seemed to have been active in voice-over during the years this was made so it's possible she auditioned but she rarely does anime dubs. Z appears to be one of the rare exceptions to that but she was a last minute replacement. If they didn't cast Kirby Morrow as Goku I don't see any reason why they would have settled for this version of Bulma in Kai. Even the Blue Water actress would be more fitting in my personal opinion.

I'd wager that they went with someone completely new for Bulma since Maggie Blue wasn't available. Lalainia Lindbjerg is still a likely contender though, especially since they cast her before. She was in the cast of Gundam 00 just prior to Kai.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:04 pm

NitroEX wrote: In response to a post where I say that I always thought of Sabat's Piccolo as wise-sounding

My opinion has always been the total opposite on Z Piccolo. Even as a kid, when I first heard Piccolo's voice switch from McNeil to Sabat in the Z dub I immediately remember thinking that the character sounded less intelligent. As I grew up I still think it sounded that way, at least for the Z dub, in Kai he does salvage the voice into something more appropriate for Piccolo's character but that Z dub voice is still very unfitting in my opinion, it basically makes Piccolo sound like more of an angry brute or shouting drill sergeant who's a bit of a meathead. I honestly can't take a scene like this one as seriously in the Z dub because of how out of place the voice is, he's supposed to be the wise voice of reason there but he doesn't sound like it, he sounds more like the cookie monster yelling and growling all the time. If you look at the Japanese, Kai or hell, even McNeil's version, it's more apparent where Sabat was going wrong with the character at the time. That said, Barry Watson probably did want the in-house cast to sound "tough" all the time (even Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan) so it's possible it wasn't up to him.

I think Corlett's Goku was certainly the blueprint for Kelamis, Morrow and Schemmel's Goku, in other words the heroic Goku. I feel the Funi dub scripts at the time were being written with that type of heroic voice in mind, lines such as Goku's speeches to Frieza probably would have sounded more appropriate with his voice rather than Kelamis or Schemmels. I do appreciate how Kelamis deviated a bit from that heroic vibe and added his own comical charm and martial arts yells, which turned out to be a little more accurate to the original. Of course, they really nailed that in the movies where the Japanese version was the blueprint rather than what Funi envisioned it should be.
I guess that I'm thinking more of the Boo arc Piccolo (Sabat's) when I just imagine him standing around giving monologues and stuff. I like Sabat's initial voice for Piccolo, despite having horrible line delivery. I guess that's mostly because it brings more uniqueness to the character. I feel like the later incarnations of Vegeta and Piccolo are too close to the point where they sound like a sick Chris Sabat while Yamcha sounds like a perfectly healthy Chris Sabat lol Maybe it's just because I know that they're voiced by the same person, but when the uniqueness comes out of the voice and Sabat made the roles his, to me, it's very obvious that he's doing all of their voices.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm

NitroEX wrote:Coincidentally I uploaded a clip featuring her a while back. Here you go: https://streamable.com/2s4ta
Oh cool! :D
Man, late-Z really brings back some memories. As I say, I don't remember a whole ton of it, but I do remember seeing the very last episode with my brother, and expecting the next episode shown to loop back around to episode 1. Instead, it went to somewhere in the fusion saga, which we were a little annoyed about.

Anyway, this is a really cool clip. Shows some of Kirby Morrow's better work as Goku, alongside the usual greatness of Drummond. :)
NitroEX wrote:I think it was a big step down from Maggie Blue O Hara but the timing of the switch just about coincided with the end of Z time-skip so it wasn't as noticeable. I think I always just sort of rationalized it as her voice changing due to age or something like that, even though that doesn't make much sense.
Yeah, makes sense.
I agree. O'Hara was a good Bulma; probably not my favourite(I think that would have to be Lindbjerg), but I don't think we've had an English Bulma who's got it quite right yet. Lindbjerg and O'Hara were pretty great, though.
NitroEX wrote:Anyway, according to her IMDB she seemed to have been active in voice-over during the years this was made so it's possible she auditioned but she rarely does anime dubs. Z appears to be one of the rare exceptions to that but she was a last minute replacement. If they didn't cast Kirby Morrow as Goku I don't see any reason why they would have settled for this version of Bulma in Kai. Even the Blue Water actress would be more fitting in my personal opinion.

I'd wager that they went with someone completely new for Bulma since Maggie Blue wasn't available. Lalainia Lindbjerg is still a likely contender though, especially since they cast her before. She was in the cast of Gundam 00 just prior to Kai.
Fair enough. Having Lindbjerg back would be pretty dope. Quite a throwback to the old days. :D
TheGreatness25 wrote:I guess that I'm thinking more of the Boo arc Piccolo (Sabat's) when I just imagine him standing around giving monologues and stuff. I like Sabat's initial voice for Piccolo, despite having horrible line delivery. I guess that's mostly because it brings more uniqueness to the character. I feel like the later incarnations of Vegeta and Piccolo are too close to the point where they sound like a sick Chris Sabat while Yamcha sounds like a perfectly healthy Chris Sabat lol Maybe it's just because I know that they're voiced by the same person, but when the uniqueness comes out of the voice and Sabat made the roles his, to me, it's very obvious that he's doing all of their voices.
If you look at the later part of the YouTube clip, there's a bit with Sabat as Piccolo in Kai. It's a massive improvement; he sounds a lot more zen, the voice feels a lot more natural... But yeah, Piccolo, Vegeta, and Yamcha are just three different types of the same voice, which is very distracting. I really wish Funimation had recast Piccolo for Kai. Rumours have it Sabat wanted to do that, and bring Scott McNeil back, but I think those are just rumours, which probably arose from a conflation of different things; McNeil talking about doing Kai, Sabat always being very complimentary to the Ocean voice actors(See his Geekdom interview), and the Sabat openly recasting a bunch of his other roles.

In any case, now that Kai has happened, the time has passed for Piccolo to be recast in Funimation's dubs. So, I guess we're stuck with Vegeta, Vegeta, and Vegeta as Vegeta, Piccolo, and Yamcha. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Saffron Henderson as Kid Gohan.
Weeellllll, I don't know that I would include that one. Unlike the others on that list, we haven't gotten actual confirmation from the actress herself that she came back for Kai. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a solid chance she'll come back, and if she does, I wouldn't be surprised...but she never specifically said she came back for Kai. So I wonder if her statement about "getting to do more," was more about voice acting in general than Gohan specifically.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Weeellllll, I don't know that I would include that one. Unlike the others on that list, we haven't gotten actual confirmation from the actress herself that she came back for Kai. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a solid chance she'll come back, and if she does, I wouldn't be surprised...but she never specifically said she came back for Kai. So I wonder if her statement about "getting to do more," was more about voice acting in general than Gohan specifically.
She claimed that she was temporarily replaced by Jillian Michaels, and given that Gohan is one of her favorite roles, there's a good chance that she's playing him in Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:08 pm

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Henderson may very well have been able to come back during Z if kid Gohan had shown up towards the end; Jillian Michaels took over while Henderson was temporarily unable to show up(I forget if it was maternity leave, or her wedding), which ended up covering the rest of Gohan's appearances as a kid in Z due to both how fast Ocean were dubbing at that time, and how few episodes were left with kid Gohan. Then of course, Michaels was cast as the sole voice of Goten, so if Henderson became available, it wouldn't make sense to replace a character Michaels had been voicing all along.
Again, it's speculation, so don't quote me on that.

But, having said this, I do wonder if Henderson would have come back to voice Goku in GT if that had stayed in Vancouver as originally planned. It would have been a shame to not have had Zoe Slusar's kid Goku(Which I hope she reprises for flashbacks and such in Kai), but having Henderson back for GT would have been pretty damn cool.

In any case, having Henderson back in Kai sounds excellent. Always thought she was the best kid Gohan voice. Her and McNeil brought a life to Piccolo and Gohan's friendship few other actors are able to pull off.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Henderson may very well have been able to come back during Z if kid Gohan had shown up towards the end; Jillian Michaels took over while Henderson was temporarily unable to show up(I forget if it was maternity leave, or her wedding), which ended up covering the rest of Gohan's appearances as a kid in Z due to both how fast Ocean were dubbing at that time, and how few episodes were left with kid Gohan. Then of course, Michaels was cast as the sole voice of Goten, so if Henderson became available, it wouldn't make sense to replace a character Michaels had been voicing all along.

But, having said this, I do wonder if Henderson would have come back to voice Goku in GT if that had stayed in Vancouver as originally planned. It would have been a shame to not have had Zoe Slusar's kid Goku(Which I hope she reprises for flashbacks and such in Kai), but having Henderson back for GT would have been pretty damn cool.

In any case, having Henderson back in Kai sounds excellent. Always thought she was the best kid Gohan voice. Her and McNeil brought a life to Piccolo and Gohan's friendship few other actors are able to pull off.
Oh yeah, Piccolo's death scene in the Ocean dub never fails to move me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Checks Out Scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qShWep1UhP4

"No Sweat Kid..."

DAYUM THAT'S GOOD. And very little Next dimension bullshit. NOW I really want to see Ocean Kai! Where Piccolo will die for real! Awesome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Checks Out Scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qShWep1UhP4

"No Sweat Kid..."

DAYUM THAT'S GOOD. And very little Next dimension bullshit. NOW I really want to see Ocean Kai! Where Piccolo will die for real! Awesome.
Glad you loved that scene.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
She claimed that she was temporarily replaced by Jillian Michaels, and given that Gohan is one of her favorite roles, there's a good chance that she's playing him in Kai.
A good chance, sure, I'm just saying it's not a guarantee, so I wouldn't go so far as to call her a confirmed cast member.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote:This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Henderson may very well have been able to come back during Z if kid Gohan had shown up towards the end; Jillian Michaels took over while Henderson was temporarily unable to show up(I forget if it was maternity leave, or her wedding), which ended up covering the rest of Gohan's appearances as a kid in Z due to both how fast Ocean were dubbing at that time, and how few episodes were left with kid Gohan. Then of course, Michaels was cast as the sole voice of Goten, so if Henderson became available, it wouldn't make sense to replace a character Michaels had been voicing all along.

I believe it was her wedding.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 pm

The "Kami-san!!" line always weirded me out with the Piccolo/Kami death, but otherwise that was a great scene.

Regarding Henderson -- Yeah, I always forget whether it was maternity leave or her wedding. In any case, I do hope she's back. Her and McNeil as Gohan and Piccolo... It's almost too good to be true. :D

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Man, I love me some Henderson Gohan. What I always loved about the Ocean cast is that they seemed to really sound natural. I can imagine a kid sounding like Henderson's Gohan, or a person sounding like the majority of the cast (unless they're doing monsters or something). With Funimation, it never sounds natural. I'd never hear a kid that sounds like any of the Funimation Gohans... or anyone for that matter.

I haven't seen much of any Ocean stuff since 1999 and definitely spent the majority of my time with the Funimation cast, but Henderson's Gohan, McNeil's Piccolo, Drummond's Vegeta, and Corlett's Goku were always the ideal voices for me. Even though I liked that they went back and re-did the first two arcs for uncensorship and consistency sake, I felt a bit sad that most later fans would not even know what great work the Ocean cast did. Then I stumbled upon the Westwood dub and now I'm all happy. Come on Ocean Kai... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_BosChxny8

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Man, I love me some Henderson Gohan. What I always loved about the Ocean cast is that they seemed to really sound natural. I can imagine a kid sounding like Henderson's Gohan, or a person sounding like the majority of the cast (unless they're doing monsters or something). With Funimation, it never sounds natural. I'd never hear a kid that sounds like any of the Funimation Gohans... or anyone for that matter.

I haven't seen much of any Ocean stuff since 1999 and definitely spent the majority of my time with the Funimation cast, but Henderson's Gohan, McNeil's Piccolo, Drummond's Vegeta, and Corlett's Goku were always the ideal voices for me. Even though I liked that they went back and re-did the first two arcs for uncensorship and consistency sake, I felt a bit sad that most later fans would not even know what great work the Ocean cast did. Then I stumbled upon the Westwood dub and now I'm all happy. Come on Ocean Kai... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_BosChxny8
Those people who didn't grow up with the Ocean cast would probably look at their work and say: "Man, this sucks. Funimation for the win!" At least some of them, I suppose.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:35 am

NitroEX wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
General Rildo being changed to General Lock
I don't claim to be any sort of expert on the Japanese language but I'm pretty sure the name Rildo is basically just a tweaked transliteration of his name pronounced in Japanese, which is Rirudo. I'm not sure what his Japanese name would equate to in English (リルド将軍) maybe someone more knowledgeable can help out with that? But I have a hunch that something along the lines of "Lildo" may be an even more accurate transliteration of his Japanese name anyway as (to my knowledge) the Japanese pronounce the L sound as R. Don't forget that "Gill" from the BW dub was more accurate than "Giru" was from the Funimation dub. Both were transliterations but the Giru pronunciation basically equates to Engrish wheras Gill or Gil doesn't. As a matter of fact, even the Street Fighter games realize this and didn't call this character of the same name as "Giru" in English, he's correctly named Gill. I have a feeling it's a similar case with Rildo which would make the Funimation name not totally correct.

Anyway, I can't verify if "Lock" is in any way accurate to what his name would equate to in English or if it's just a thrown together localisation (in which case, it's a fair criticism) but I trust that their translation team knew what they were doing. There's plenty of evidence throughout both dubs to show that they knew a lot more than Funimation did (at the time) and the Funimation name for this character didn't even exist at the time as Blue Water's GT dub came out first.
Now I'm far from an expert in Japanese too, but my understanding is that Rirudo is supposed to be a rearrangement of Doriru which is the Japanese approximation of the word drill. So I would assume Rilld would most accurately convey what his name is supposed to be. He does fight with a drill in that red form of his. Now how Blue Water got Lock is a mystery to me. Changing an r to an l is fairly common, but I don't know how -irudo became -ock. You'd need someone who actually knows Japanese for that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 am

On the Gill vs. Giru thing... if his name is supposed to be a pun on "Gear," then "Giru" would actually be more accurate. I'm not sure if it's been confirmed that "Gear" is not the pun, but I don't see why it would be "Gill." Unfortunately, there's no manual for when words are to be translated with an "L" or with an "R."

I find myself having the same problem with "Zi" or "Ji" (the letter being ジ).

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:On the Gill vs. Giru thing... if his name is supposed to be a pun on "Gear," then "Giru" would actually be more accurate. I'm not sure if it's been confirmed that "Gear" is not the pun, but I don't see why it would be "Gill." Unfortunately, there's no manual for when words are to be translated with an "L" or with an "R."

I find myself having the same problem with "Zi" or "Ji" (the letter being ジ).
This is why I looked to the Street Fighter example as their character shares the same name and is translated directly as Gill instead of Giru. The Gear pun was also previously used on Dr. Gero so I don't see why they would use it twice.
Gill still works reasonably as a pun in my view as it could be referencing the gills of a fish. There does seem to be some sea-based elements in GT, notably the octopus-shaped spaceship belonging to of the main trio.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:she never specifically said she came back for Kai. So I wonder if her statement about "getting to do more," was more about voice acting in general than Gohan specifically.
I don't think that's the case as it wouldn't really make much sense, given the context of her tweet. The way I see it, she didn't outright say she's in Kai but she is presumably under NDA so she couldn't. Based off of what we know thus far, I'd say it's reasonable to believe she implied involvement in Kai.

If you go back and look at it, the whole thing came about when someone basically tweeted to her saying that it wasn't Saffron Henderson voicing Gohan in the "Ocean dub", he could only have meant the Westwood dub episodes of the Cell Games when she was replaced, as that's the only "Ocean dub" she was missing from. She responded saying "Awwww... I heart Gohan! Years ago I got married in the US & lived in CA. Temporarily replaced but got to do lots more." If we try and break that down, she's most likely referencing those Westwood episodes as they were recorded in 2001, the same year she got married and moved to California. We can see from her IMDB that she did some voice work in California for a while (Naruto, Zatch Bell!, Saints Row) but she also started appearing on Vancouver cast lists again afterward, so she didn't stay there for too long, giving her plenty of time to be cast in Kai when it came to Vancouver.

The part where she says "Temporarily replaced but got to do lots more." all but confirms it for me. Again, the context here is very clearly about Gohan, not general roles and voice work. She explains why she left the role in 2001 (getting married) and then right afterward says she was "temporarily replaced". Now both Stephanie Nadolny & Jillian Michaels did replace her but keep in mind the context, the set up from the fan was about Gohan not being voiced by Saffron in the Ocean dub, not the Funi dub, she responded talking about what happened when she was replaced in the Ocean dub, not the Funi dub. It seems clear to me that when she mentions being replaced, she was referencing her more recent replacement in 2001 rather than in 1999. The last part where she says "got to do lots more" can only mean Kai, as this was the only Dragon Ball project to come to Vancouver after 2001-2002. DB and GT were both done in Calgary.
It probably wasn't realistic for her to come back during Z as I believe they finished recording it in 2002 and she was most likely still in California at that point.
I don't know when exactly she came back to Canada but based on when she started consistently appearing in Vancouver based projects I'd say it must've been around 2005 or so.

Also, there really isn't any evidence to suggest she left due to maternity leave, at least not that I know of. ButtfaceKalinski went into more detail about this a while back and I'm inclined to believe him. All that I've read so far seems to point to the timing of her wedding and moving to Caifornia being the reasons she left.
Robo4900 wrote:But, having said this, I do wonder if Henderson would have come back to voice Goku in GT if that had stayed in Vancouver as originally planned.
Given that the Blue Water dubs started being broadcast in 2003, and were probably recorded sometime in mid to late 2002, I don't think she would've been available for that either.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:It sounds like what happened is that they're using actors based in Vancouver ("the Ocean cast") for the bigger, more significant roles, and using actors based in Calgary ("the Blue Water cast") for the lesser roles. At what point a role becomes "lesser" is not entirely clear, though. I mean, sure, Yamcha isn't a huge part in the grand scheme of things, but on the other hand, Nappa has even less screen time, and we already know from a publicly-posted resume that his original Ocean voice, Michael Dobson, came back to play him.

So I dunno, I think there's still a good chance that Ted Cole will come back as Yamcha if they're defining Nappa as a significant role. Not a guarantee, of course. Yajirobe has, I believe, more screen time than Nappa, and Brian Drummond already said that while he got to play Vegeta again, they're using a Calgary actor for Yajirobe this time around. So, who knows?

........"So, who knows?" That should be the official slogan of this dub.
Where did you hear that?