Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:35 pm

Signed! I'll share it around.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:09 am

Since my input was asked for: yeah no, crowdfunding is not a good idea for this. At all.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:38 pm

I don't think I'll sign the petition since they almost never work. The only thing I'd want now is a list of the voice actors who worked on this dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Yeah, maybe this isn't suited for crowdfunding. Keep the petition going far and wide though. Who knows what could happen.

You know what's weird?

I was looking for interviews the other day, basically anything recent with Scott McNeil. Came across a panel he was on roughly near the very end of last year, I think. Near the end of this hour long panel he mentioned Kai again, but said, 'We just finished Kai actually, which was weird.'

But, surely he should have said something like, we finished Kai a few years ago? Because it really has been a few years.

Was interesting. People need to stop beating round the bush with this and ask that man he hard, direct questions haha

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't think I'll sign the petition since they almost never work. The only thing I'd want now is a list of the voice actors who worked on this dub.
Why does that matter? You could've signed in the time it took you to write this.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:04 pm

SX10 wrote:Yeah, maybe this isn't suited for crowdfunding. Keep the petition going far and wide though. Who knows what could happen.

You know what's weird?

I was looking for interviews the other day, basically anything recent with Scott McNeil. Came across a panel he was on roughly near the very end of last year, I think. Near the end of this hour long panel he mentioned Kai again, but said, 'We just finished Kai actually, which was weird.'

But, surely he should have said something like, we finished Kai a few years ago? Because it really has been a few years.

Was interesting. People need to stop beating round the bush with this and ask that man he hard, direct questions haha
That is interesting, I never ruled out the possibility of a Final Chapters dub. I know Drummond denied it, but it is possible extra NDAs were put in place for the remainder of Kai, and like Funimation did with Super they may indeed have recorded an edited dub as a failsafe and once again paid Ocean to do the edits. Although I doubt edits alone would recoup the costs of an already expensive unaired dub, but who knows, maybe the producers worked out some sort of a deal to finish Kai, and get the licence for Super with an already guaranteed broadcast deal. Then again this could all be wishful thinking on my part.

Oh, if Scott McNeil did a convention in Ireland I would certainly ask him some specific questions, if any of the actors will spill the beans its him.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:10 am

Fans of the Ocean DBZ dub will get a kick out of watching episode 266 of Gintama. There's a really cool cameo hidden in there towards the end, that's all I'm gonna say. :mrgreen:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/gintama/epis ... ime-729537

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:That is interesting, I never ruled out the possibility of a Final Chapters dub. I know Drummond denied it, but it is possible extra NDAs were put in place for the remainder of Kai, and like Funimation did with Super they may indeed have recorded an edited dub as a failsafe and once again paid Ocean to do the edits. Although I doubt edits alone would recoup the costs of an already expensive unaired dub, but who knows, maybe the producers worked out some sort of a deal to finish Kai, and get the licence for Super with an already guaranteed broadcast deal. Then again this could all be wishful thinking on my part.

Oh, if Scott McNeil did a convention in Ireland I would certainly ask him some specific questions, if any of the actors will spill the beans its him.
I never rule out a Final Chapters or Super dub either. They simply must have realised that they can't talk about such things openly, in a way they hadn't before haha!

I think the air has to clear with Funimation before anything Ocean do will rear it's head and be seen.

Oh yeah, I could sit with Scott McNeil for quite a while discussing this dub.

This topic has got under my skin, haha! I'm dying to see this dub!!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 pm

NitroEX wrote:Fans of the Ocean DBZ dub will get a kick out of watching episode 266 of Gintama. There's a really cool cameo hidden in there towards the end, that's all I'm gonna say. :mrgreen:
Damn, it was good to hear McNeil as Piccolo again.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
NitroEX wrote:Fans of the Ocean DBZ dub will get a kick out of watching episode 266 of Gintama. There's a really cool cameo hidden in there towards the end, that's all I'm gonna say. :mrgreen:
*Sigh*......oh, what could have been......
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Ooooo!

And additional dialogue in the first 4 minutes of the next episode. Although not much.

I have tasted it and I want MORE!!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:30 am

SX10 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:That is interesting, I never ruled out the possibility of a Final Chapters dub. I know Drummond denied it, but it is possible extra NDAs were put in place for the remainder of Kai, and like Funimation did with Super they may indeed have recorded an edited dub as a failsafe and once again paid Ocean to do the edits. Although I doubt edits alone would recoup the costs of an already expensive unaired dub, but who knows, maybe the producers worked out some sort of a deal to finish Kai, and get the licence for Super with an already guaranteed broadcast deal. Then again this could all be wishful thinking on my part.

I never rule out a Final Chapters or Super dub either. They simply must have realised that they can't talk about such things openly, in a way they hadn't before haha!

I think the air has to clear with Funimation before anything Ocean do will rear it's head and be seen.

Yeah FUNimation have all the rights to Super for Canada too which includes broadcast. I'd say an Ocean dub of Super is highly unlikely.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:27 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:

Yeah FUNimation have all the rights to Super for Canada too which includes broadcast. I'd say an Ocean dub of Super is highly unlikely.
I'd also say that it's unlikely for Funimation's Super dub to air in Canada because of Canadian content laws although there are American programs on Canadian TV.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Now all we need is a Vegeta cameo to hear Drummond's Vegeta again.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:

I'd also say that it's unlikely for Funimation's Super dub to air in Canada because of Canadian content laws although there are American programs on Canadian TV.
I wouldn't say its unlikely for Funimation's Super dub to air due to Canadian content laws honestly. Any foreign shows can air so long as the quota for Canadian content has been filled. I think it would face the same problem as Ocean Kai - a lack of interest from broadcasters. Although since Super has a toyline coming I think it stands somewhat of a better chance than Kai - a show with a failed merchandise run, as that seems to be what Canadian broadcasters look for in anime.

I'm actually starting to have more confidence in Danfun64's prediction the Funimation dub of Super will air, and if it does well Ocean Kai will be aired alongside it to see how well Canadian kids react to different dub casts for Dragon Ball because if Ocean Kai can prove to be popular even when competing with a hot property like Super that broadcaster could demand more dubbed episodes from Ocean, including a Final Chapters and Super dub. If this were the case I could see three potential results:

1) Best case scenario: The broadcaster could maximize their profits by airing Super in Funi's dub up to a point and then air later episodes with Ocean's cast (who had shown their popularity with Kai) followed by an Ocean redub of the episodes that aired with Funimation's dub.

2) Average case scenario: Although Funimation's Super dub will air and be later shown alongside Ocean Kai kids watching Dragon Ball on Canadian TV will respond unfavorably to an alternate cast, especially one they will not hear on streaming services or the home releases. Ocean Kai is cancelled unexpectedly, but at the very least we, as dedicated fans of this franchise will finally have the chance to at least see the first couple episodes of the dub.

3) Worst case scenario: Funimation's Super dub will air and later the Funimation dub of Kai will be aired alongside it diminishing whatever slim chance there still is of the Ocean Kai dub airing as it will then have absolutely no where to air that would even remotely recoup the cost of its production.

I also have my doubts Funimation's licence could prevent an Ocean dub of Super from being produced and aired. After all the Westwood and Blue Water dubs did air on YTV back in the early 2000s. I guess its possible Funimation managed to lockdown whatever loopholes allowed for alternate dubs to be shown in Canada and other English-speaking territories but that doesn't explain how the Bang Zoom dub happened.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:56 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Is he trying to mimic Sabat? But dang...we need Ocean Kai!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:14 pm

A toyline isn't a guarantee of a Canadian broadcast. LBX had a toyline and a Canadian dub, but no one picked it up.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of contact details for Scott McNeil's agent, regarding fan mail. For example, I know Brian Drummond receives pictures to autograph and such.

PS -- that petition is looking goooood.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 pm

SX10 wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows of contact details for Scott McNeil's agent, regarding fan mail. For example, I know Brian Drummond receives pictures to autograph and such.

PS -- that petition is looking goooood.
Nope, sorry.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:11 am

So since some on this thread have speculated that AB Groupe were behind this dub I think it's worth mentioning, as sangofe reported in a thread in 'General Franchise Discussion' that the company is seemingly set to be sold to Mediawan. If it's true AB produced the Ocean dub of Kai this sale could mean that dub will be in Mediawan's hands for the foreseeable future. Not knowing anything about Mediawan I certainly plan to do some research to have a greater understanding of what this means for the future of any Dragon Ball dubs or European rights AB held on to, which could theoretically include this dub. The links can be found below:

http://advanced-television.com/2017/01/ ... -for-sale/
http://www.capital.fr/bourse/actualites ... ab-1203149
https://www.nextinpact.com/news/103081- ... upe-ab.htm

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:So since some on this thread have speculated that AB Groupe were behind this dub I think it's worth mentioning, as sangofe reported in a thread in 'General Franchise Discussion' that the company is seemingly set to be sold to Mediawan. If it's true AB produced the Ocean dub of Kai this sale could mean that dub will be in Mediawan's hands for the foreseeable future. Not knowing anything about Mediawan I certainly plan to do some research to have a greater understanding of what this means for the future of any Dragon Ball dubs or European rights AB held on to, which could theoretically include this dub. The links can be found below:

http://advanced-television.com/2017/01/ ... -for-sale/
http://www.capital.fr/bourse/actualites ... ab-1203149
https://www.nextinpact.com/news/103081- ... upe-ab.htm
I have my doubts that AB Groupe was in charge of this dub. AB Groupe hasn't done anything with Dragon Ball since, I don't know, hiring a bunch of American actors based in Paris to dub the DBZ movies?