Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 19, 2018 8:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While Ayres is without a doubt, the best English-speaking Frieza we've ever got, he doesn't really sound anything like Nakao.
Does he need to?
Well, of course he doesn't need to.
Does he have to, then?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Does he need to?
Well, of course he doesn't need to.
Does he have to, then?
No.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 pm

Guys. I didn't come here to start an Ayres vs Nakao debate, i came here to talk about Lee Tockar. So, let me try again. 8000 Saiyan, Robo4900, Scsigs, do you guys think that, Lee would be great as Freeza?
Caulifla best girl! :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun May 20, 2018 12:01 am

If he's going to be as great as Ayres, I'm not sure, but I'd be glad if his performance was on his level.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 20, 2018 2:28 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Guys. I didn't come here to start an Ayres vs Nakao debate, i came here to talk about Lee Tockar. So, let me try again. 8000 Saiyan, Robo4900, Scsigs, do you guys think that, Lee would be great as Freeza?
I'd have to hear a sample of his work, since I'm not sure if I've ever heard him in anything.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:58 am

I obviously haven't heard Lee Tockar's Freeza, but a while ago there was a supporting cast member who I asked about it and he was also a fan of Dragon Ball and had watched Funi's Kai partly as research.

He hadn't heard all of Tockar's lines of course, only those for the scenes he was also a part of. He told me that Tockar was great, however he himself preferred Ayres version because Ayres had a unique delivery. He then said no one has heard it yet and fan opinion could go either way (of course) so I'm pretty confident it'll be at least as good. Can't wait for it. Tockar was so excited about it, you just know he did all he could to make it greatm
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:12 am

Now I dont intend to build up peoples hopes so they can be dashed cruelly, but this IMissBionix article is extremely interesting. Source and Thanks to IMissBionix!

Odds & Ends: Corus at Anime North, Teletoon tosses Turning Mecard, Dragon Ball Tour in Toronto

TV and Nelvana attend Anime North 2018
Anime North is next weekend in Toronto and Corus Entertainment is attending. On Wednesday, the convention announced through social media that YTV will be hosting a “retro pop-up shop, [with a] limited edition Bionix tee, and more” on Friday, May 25th and Saturday, May 26th. The inspiration for this blog hasn’t been officially referenced that often since the block’s discontinuation in 2010. Most recently, Nelvana’s YouTube team used it as a wrapper for largely unrelated programming. 2018 marks YTV’s 30th anniversary.

Perhaps even more curiously, YTV’s sister company Nelvana is listed as hosting a panel at the convention on the 26th. With no other information beyond “Nelvana Industry Panel,” it’s scheduled to run for an hour beginning at 2:30PM in the Toronto Congress Centre’s Berton Room. Will attendees get to hear about their upcoming anime related projects? Maybe they’ll explain what happened to this and BeyWarriors Cyborg? Who knows. It could just be a job recruitment panel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While Corus is far from a stranger to Anime North, this definitely seems like a bigger presence than usual. We’ll have to see if that means anything beyond maybe hawking Mysticons and ReBoot: The Guardian Code. One of the largest North American anime conventions, Anime North 2018 takes place between May 25th and the 27th. Nelvana is slated to be the convention’s only official industry presence.

Dragon Ball Tour stops in Toronto
Bandai Namco and Toei’s Dragon Ball Tour will travel to seven North American cities this summer. One location will be in Toronto in August. While vague on details, attendees should expect “exclusive items and a one-of-a-kind experience!”

It’s safe to say the tour is likely a presence at major conventions. The current roster of locations includes a stop at San Diego in July (San Diego Comic Con?), Washington (Otakon?) and Toronto (Fan Expo?) in August, Portland (Rose City Comic Con?) in September and NYC (New York City Comic Con?) in October. Fan Expo takes place between August 30th and September 2nd.
This gives me so much pain and sadness. I want to hope but I know it will be in vain.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:15 am

Oh, wow. Also, on Richard Ian Cox's tumblr, people keep asking about any upcoming conventions and all he is saying is announcements coming very soon and not telling anyone much else beyond that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Sadly I don't think there's any chance of us hearing anything about Kai at conventions, especially considering the fact this dub was never officially announced. I think Ocean planned for it to just pop up on TV randomly like the Westwood dub, and will stick to their guns. And Richard Ian Cox won't know any more than us about whether or not its being released because he is a voice actor, although if he has been given some leeway in his NDA it would be nice if we could hear him act out a few Goku lines at any upcoming appearances he has so we can get a better idea of how his work will turn out. That said I think the best we could hope for until this new channel launches is pamphlets offered by CORUS for Wow (or a booth for Bell Media), which will have information about what shows we can expect to see from them, and hopefully Kai will be listed as well as some indication like "exclusive never-before-seen Canadian vesion", "featuring the return of the Canadian cast" or something like that. Fingers crossed anyway.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I think Ocean planned
Remember, Ocean simply provide scripting, voicing, music, etc. services; they don't produce things, they don't acquire rights, do DVDs etc., they just get hired by other companies to work on the creative side. So, Ocean didn't plan anything outside the process of actually making the dub, which would have entirely been done to the whims of whoever was producing it.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:planned for it to just pop up on TV randomly like the Westwood dub, and will stick to their guns. [...] although if he has been given some leeway in his NDA it would be nice if we could hear him act out a few Goku lines at any upcoming appearances he has so we can get a better idea of how his work will turn out.
If Wow Unlimited are acquiring Ocean Kai, it's entirely possible a preview could be shown, and some of the cast could be allowed to do some stuff, to get the hype machine booted up.

As for Ocean Kai randomly popping up on TV, that sounds like it might be the case, though as I recall it, Kirbopher got behind-the-scenes knowledge and found out that, in fact, it was created with a TV deal lined up, but that TV deal fell through for some reason. Presumably, either it was set up to begin after the entire series had wrapped, or it fell through during production, and it was decided to go ahead with finishing the dub anyway, since 98 episodes is very attractive for syndication and such.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:That said I think the best we could hope for until this new channel launches is pamphlets offered by CORUS for Wow (or a booth for Bell Media), which will have information about what shows we can expect to see from them, and hopefully Kai will be listed as well as some indication like "exclusive never-before-seen Canadian vesion", "featuring the return of the Canadian cast" or something like that. Fingers crossed anyway.
Maybe. We don't know.
Dragon Ball is a big deal, and it's far from the only anime show Wow seem to be looking to acquire, so a big push may be attempted for anime's big return to Canadian TV.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Guys. I didn't come here to start an Ayres vs Nakao debate, i came here to talk about Lee Tockar. So, let me try again. 8000 Saiyan, Robo4900, Scsigs, do you guys think that, Lee would be great as Freeza?
Welcome to Kanzenshuu. ;)

I'm sure Lee Tockar will be fantastic. Will he be better than Ayres? Maybe. I'm not sure he will, given how good Ayres is, however to be honest, I think comparing him to Ayres would be a great disservice to both actors, since I imagine they're entirely different takes; I'd rather just enjoy both for what they are when we finally hear Tockar. Besides, if we got into comparing Freeza actors, the subject of Ryusei Nakao comes up, and, well... There's only one Ryusei Nakao, and -- to quote the Fourth Doctor -- he is "The definite article, you might say." I'm sure Tockar will be great, though.

One thing we do know about Lee Tockar is that he's very proud of his work on Freeza; the way he's talked about it in the past, he seems completely stoked about the fact he's Freeza, and he really wants it out there, so whatever his take on Freeza is, I'm sure he's done the best job at that particular take on voicing the character that is possible to achieve. So, if you enjoy his take on the character, I imagine you'll enjoy his performance massively overall.
Nia wrote:From what I've heard of him?
So you've sampled some of his work on Ocean Kai, then? ;)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Why didnt you adress my post at all? I was looking forward to what you would have to say about it. Even a "This doesnt really mean anything" would have been welcome!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Why didnt you adress my post at all? I was looking forward to what you would have to say about it. Even a "This doesnt really mean anything" would have been welcome!
Sorry. I thought I covered it decently well with this:
Robo4900 wrote:If Wow Unlimited are acquiring Ocean Kai, it's entirely possible a preview could be shown, and some of the cast could be allowed to do some stuff, to get the hype machine booted up.
I had a bigger section on it initially written for my post, but I condensed it out.

If you'd like my thoughts on it; it doesn't really tell us anything, but fingers crossed. August places it in a time that would work for it to be promoting Ocean Kai.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun May 20, 2018 11:12 pm

The company attending Anime North isn't Wow Unlimited. It's Corus, who owns the channel that previously aired Dragon Ball in Canada, YTV. This year marks YTV's 30th anniversary. Hard to know if these fan outreaches mean something or if it's just a chance to sell some merch.

Also, Dragon Ball is far from the only anime series Wow has pursued for their TV channel. Who knows if that'll be reflected in their schedule. If there's any kind of convention promotional push, it'll probably be at Fan Expo in August. May is just too far away from the channel's launch to be an effective advertising tool, especially since Anime North happens before their CRTC decision comes in.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Really? Doesnt the fact that YTV has little to no anime yet is going to Anime North, a Canada only anime convention say something? Like they could want Kai too? Because they LITERALLY have no anime on the schedule. None. And YTV Aired Dragon Ball. Not Teletoon. And that Dragon Ball thing is Canada only too, only that I do admit has nothing to do with Ocean Kai.

I know its best to not get our hopes up but that really could have used some thought.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun May 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Corus is a company that thought ReBoot: The Guardian Code was a good way to revive a beloved cult CG animated series. Don't underestimate their ability to completely misread the room. Heck, given the show premieres on YTV a few days after Anime North, I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of what they're promoting.

The panel, which is where announcements are usually made, is labelled as Nelvana's. While another Corus-owned company, they're an animation production and distribution studio, not a broadcaster. It's hard to know what their panel will be.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 am

KaiserNeko, aka Scott Frerichs, aka one of the big three head honchos behind Team Four Star's DBZ Abridged, said that he heard Lee Tockar's Freeza. He never explicitly said how, but the general assumption is that since both TFS and Lee Tockar were guests at the same convention a few years ago (I forget which one specifically), he probably just asked Tockar directly. According to KaiserNeko, Tockar's Freeza reminded him of a "British version of Mark Hamil's Joker."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm

I remember that description! I mean, it really doesn't sound a world away from what Ayres is doing, I could see that fitting well.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 21, 2018 6:38 pm

Sounds like a solid interpretation of the character to me. Obviously none of us can judge it until we see it but that description is certainly promising.

I don't see Tockar topping Ayres personally, but he doesn't have to. It could very well be another case like Sabat and McNeil as Piccolo, the latter is the best English version of the character but the former is still great in his own right.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue May 22, 2018 1:57 am

I just wanna say that everyone should be taking what Niosi (Kirbopher) has said in the past with a grain of salt. From people I know who have worked with or interacted with him, he likes to act like he knows more than he actually does about pretty much everything. And it doesn't make much sense that a relatively small California-based voice actor would have much -- if any -- knowledge of an unaired Canadian dub. If you ask me he's just full of shit as usual.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:02 am

Ummmmmmmmmmm... there's no need to insult him or call him a liar. He could always be mistaken.