Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:30 am

I agree, if and when Wow airs Ocean Kai I will just be relieved its out and will no longer be vapourware. I don't care about anything else, including swearing, I can do without so long as the scripts keep the integrity of the story in tact (which I expect them to). I think the performances will be great honestly, but there will be those who will complain because they don't care about any cast other than their beloved Funimation cast. I can also see some purists complaining about it having a replacement score, but as with everything else, as long as its good and fits Dragon Ball I'll accept it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 am

Jean0987654321 wrote:At this point, I'm just glad we got the Ocean dub of Kai on the airwaves

Don't care too much about the "cursing." The dialouge will be fine. I just want to know how the acting will be handled
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I agree, if and when Wow airs Ocean Kai I will just be relieved its out and will no longer be vapourware. I don't care about anything else, including swearing, I can do without so long as the scripts keep the integrity of the story in tact (which I expect them to). I think the performances will be great honestly, but there will be those who will complain because they don't care about any cast other than their beloved Funimation cast. I can also see some purists complaining about it having a replacement score, but as with everything else, as long as its good and fits Dragon Ball I'll accept it.
Ultimately, I agree wholeheartedly. But until it is here, it's fun to discuss such things. :)

But yeah, ultimately, even if all we do have is a TV cut, and it's censored, it'll be like the Blue Water GT dub in terms of scripting; the censorship will be present, but it'll be skirting around the unsavoury stuff with phrasing more than it'll change things entirely. Hell = Hades is a perfect example of this... The integrity of the story, and the meanings of scenes, the characterisations, etc. is left intact. We can reasonably expect Ocean Kai to be along that line.

Though I'm sure tons of people will try to poke holes in it by saying the wordings aren't similar enough to the way Simmons wrote the subtitles for Kai... :lolno:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

jochs

Post by jochs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:01 pm

Are the sound effects going to be altered as well? I really hope what Sean Schemmel said isn't true.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:23 pm

jochs wrote:Are the sound effects going to be altered as well? I really hope what Sean Schemmel said isn't true.
Schemmel almost certainly exaggerated things to make Ocean's dub seem worse, and to prop up the Funi dub, but I imagine the SFX will have been somewhat altered.

Still, altered SFX don't get in the way of the Pioneer dubs being the finest dubbing work in the Dragon Ball franchise, so... Long as everything else in this dub is up to snuff, it won't bother me.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:03 pm

True. It’s not ideal, but it’s the least offensive change they could possibly make.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:But no, there is no swearing. They use words like "Hell", which wouldn't be seen on TV so as to not offend overly-sensitive religious parents, but they aren't swears.
That’s exactly what a swearword is, tho: an unholy word. And by that they mean either a sex-related word or an anti-Lord word. So hell and damn, and dick and fuck, are curse-words/badwords/swearwords (when not being used to refer to what they’d normally mean), but shit and asshole are in no way swearwords.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:49 am

jochs wrote:Are the sound effects going to be altered improved as well?
They most definitely will, and I can't wait to hear it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 am

I can see new sound effects being added as they were used in the Pioneer dubs. I do think Schemmel was probably exaggerating how bad the SFX and replacement score was, because if the producers of this dub were willing to go to the effort of casting a better Goku and Freeza than we've had in previous Ocean dubs (which by all accounts they have) then I can see us at least getting a new score with SFX that suits Dragon Ball rather than one done on the cheap that misses the point of the series and makes you feel like you are watching a completely different show (I'm looking at you Faulconer Productions :problem: ).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I can see new sound effects being added as they were used in the Pioneer dubs. I do think Schemmel was probably exaggerating how bad the SFX and replacement score was, because if the producers of this dub were willing to go to the effort of casting a better Goku and Freeza than we've had in previous Ocean dubs (which by all accounts they have) then I can see us at least getting a new score with SFX that suits Dragon Ball rather than one done on the cheap that misses the point of the series and makes you feel like you are watching a completely different show (I'm looking at you Faulconer Productions :problem: ).
My thoughts exactly... :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
jochs wrote:Are the sound effects going to be altered as well? I really hope what Sean Schemmel said isn't true.
Schemmel almost certainly exaggerated things to make Ocean's dub seem worse, and to prop up the Funi dub, but I imagine the SFX will have been somewhat altered.

Still, altered SFX don't get in the way of the Pioneer dubs being the finest dubbing work in the Dragon Ball franchise, so... Long as everything else in this dub is up to snuff, it won't bother me.
Yeah, the sound effects never bothered me in the slightest. Hell, I didn't even realize that they were changed.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:41 pm

I had zero idea they had changed anything and I don't notice them in the Sabat dub really, apart from the obvious flickering of fire flames and the jaguar punch (which is fucking bad ass).
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 pm

SX10 wrote:I had zero idea they had changed anything and I don't notice them in the Sabat dub really, apart from the obvious flickering of fire flames and the jaguar punch (which is fucking bad ass).
LOL, the Sabat dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:I had zero idea they had changed anything and I don't notice them in the Sabat dub really, apart from the obvious flickering of fire flames and the jaguar punch (which is fucking bad ass).
LOL, the Sabat dub.
Not a bad name for the inhouse dub :lol:

Obviously it was a typo :wink:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh no. I did see this typo and immediately edited my post, but my phone obviously reverted it back to Sabat when I hit submit. I wish that is what the in house dub was called.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Is this happening? I’m too lazy to read a few pages back

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Is this happening? I’m too lazy to read a few pages back
I'm too lazy to answer your question, so answer it yourself.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:49 am

No word on Wow's launch yet. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I just want to know a date so we can properly look forward to it, and maybe count down the days until this dub is finally here.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 am

Hello. Fellow newcomer here.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
No word on Wow's launch yet. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I just want to know a date so we can properly look forward to it, and maybe count down the days until this dub is finally here.
A release date for the new channel is in sight now. Wow can launch the channel anywhere between now and December 31, 2018. Should the channel not be launched by then, then it will be launched from at least April 1, 2019. https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... Media.html

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:18 pm

C. Smith wrote:Hello. Fellow newcomer here.
A release date for the new channel is in sight now. Wow can launch the channel anywhere between now and December 31, 2018. Should the channel not be launched by then, then it will be launched from at least April 1, 2019. https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... Media.html
Welcome to the boards!

This is fantastic news! I'm gonna optimistic and hope Christmas comes early haha. But totally cool with April as well. Fingers crossed Kai shows up!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:02 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
LOL, the Sabat dub.
Not a bad name for the inhouse dub :lol:

Obviously it was a typo :wink:
One of the most fitting names for the dub ever, along with "The Chris Sabat Show".