Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 am

NO! That could be too much. And people could start insulting and stuff. Its best that we just send our VERY POLITE AND KIND wishes on Twitter. And even then not too much because she could block us.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:36 am

Honestly I think we're doing what we need to do so far. Marni's tweet about looking into Kai already has 22 likes (18 more in the last 24 hours since it was brought up in this thread), which is far more than anything else she's posted. That says it all really. She most likely will get that we want the dub because her response to its request stands out. I don't think it would hurt for anyone who hasn't also Tweeted to do so, but just polite comments like "Definitely consider it, I'd love to see the Canadian dub of Kai" should do the trick. Overall though this is good news, if we play our cards right this dub might finally see the light of day on Canadian TV.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 am

You're right, this is fine as it is, it should really show by now.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am

Oh man, I am so happy about this. I never thought I'd hear these voices in Dragon Ball again. So happy to be on the way to being proven wrong. :D

Anyone who hasn't yet; like the tweet. No harm in adding more likes, and remember, 23 likes already stands out, so think about if we could get it up to 50 likes...
So, while what we have so far is very impressive, keep those likes coming. :)

(And, to repeat myself and others here, if you reply, be very polite and kind!)

Seriously though, guys... The prospect of hearing Scott McNeil and Saffron Henderson doing their classic Piccolo and Gohan stuff now, as a full consistent run all the way up to the end of the Cell arc... Brian Drummond delivering the full development up to that point of Vegeta... The words don't exist to express how happy the thought of this airing makes me. :D
And a new Goku, a new Cell, maybe the return of Don Brown's Kaio?... I'm so excited. :D
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm

I feel exactly the same way! That said, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and build it up too much. So happy there has been a positive acknowledgment from someone who can do something about it!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Oh man, I am so happy about this. I never thought I'd hear these voices in Dragon Ball again. So happy to be on the way to being proven wrong. :D

Anyone who hasn't yet; like the tweet. No harm in adding more likes, and remember, 23 likes already stands out, so think about if we could get it up to 50 likes...
So, while what we have so far is very impressive, keep those likes coming. :)

(And, to repeat myself and others here, if you reply, be very polite and kind!)

Seriously though, guys... The prospect of hearing Scott McNeil and Saffron Henderson doing their classic Piccolo and Gohan stuff now, as a full consistent run all the way up to the end of the Cell arc... Brian Drummond delivering the full development up to that point of Vegeta... The words don't exist to express how happy the thought of this airing makes me. :D
And a new Goku, a new Cell, maybe the return of Don Brown's Kaio?... I'm so excited. :D
Love your enthusiasm.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't count any chicks before the eggs hatch. A "I'll look into it" is a far cry from "We'll be airing it!" She might not like the show or feel it's not what the company is looking for. Heck, it could even be out of their price range or just not available.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't count any chicks before the eggs hatch. A "I'll look into it" is a far cry from "We'll be airing it!" She might not like the show or feel it's not what the company is looking for. Heck, it could even be out of their price range or just not available.
But would Ocean really demand a lot of money given the fact that nobody has picked up the series in what's 7 years now?

Other than that, I totally agree with you.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Not Ocean. TOEI. But they REALLY wanted a kids network for it so as long as there is a willing Kidsnet it should be fine.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 am

I don't think Toei are the ones that funded the dub but they most likely were involved in approving its creation or at least licensing the rights to whoever commisioned it. I just hope Wow Unlimited don't have any trouble tracking down the source. If they have the connections to find it I don't see why they wouldn't consider airing it, not unless Toei or Funimation somehow have the jurisdiction to ban it from being distributed to Canadian channels (which I doubt). The worst thing that could happen is if they give up and settle for the Funimation version instead. Even not airing Kai would be preferable to that because it at least leaves the door open for them or another channel to potentially still air the Canadian version.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:48 am

This is the Twitter account for Ocean's casting agency. They haven't regularly used it since April, but it's basically the company's only real online presence. If someone wants to try to get them aware of Wow!, go ahead.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:03 am

Do AB retain the Dragonball Z license, if so does it cover this new show?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't count any chicks before the eggs hatch. A "I'll look into it" is a far cry from "We'll be airing it!" She might not like the show or feel it's not what the company is looking for. Heck, it could even be out of their price range or just not available.
Okay, fair, but this is the biggest chance there's been so far to get it on air. If we don't jump on this as hard as we can, it might slip through our fingers.
Plus, now looks like a perfect time to bring Kai in for Canada.

Yes, maybe my excitement is a little premature, but I think we might have it this time. Plus, until now, it's looked like this was dead in the water, so of course I'm happy that it still has a chance after all.
ButtfaceKalinski wrote:Do AB retain the Dragonball Z license, if so does it cover this new show?
I believe AB still own the Westwood and Blue Water dubs, but I don't know if they still own the license to get Dragon Ball aired in Canada, and they were bought by Mediawen, so I dunno if they'd do anything with any rights they have.
As for Ocean Kai, no one knows who produced that. It could be AB, but we really don't know.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:40 pm

NitroEX wrote:If they have the connections to find it I don't see why they wouldn't consider airing it, not unless Toei or Funimation somehow have the jurisdiction to ban it from being distributed to Canadian channels (which I doubt). The worst thing that could happen is if they give up and settle for the Funimation version instead. Even not airing Kai would be preferable to that because it at least leaves the door open for them or another channel to potentially still air the Canadian version.
I doubt TOEI or Funimation could do anything to stop this dub from airing in Canada. TOEI did hire Ocean to dub World Trigger, which shows they haven't given up on licensing them to distributors to get dubbed in Canada. Funimation couldn't stop the Westwood or Blue Water dubs being broadcast there back in the day, and I don't see any reason for their dub of Kai to be aired in Canada now. It's been available on home video there for many years, it's made most of the money it's going to make. At least the Ocean dub is new and if the ratings are right it can be the launching pad for a Final Chapters or Super (if there is any loopholes around Funimation's rights to it) dub if Wow or any other channel ever wants a Canadian version.
I too won't get my hopes up until we see at least a teaser from Wow or some sort of guarantee they will air this dub. She is probably at least aware that Dragon Ball is a big deal, and I don't see why as the head of an upcoming channel for children and youth entertainment I suspect she has heard about it, especially now because the franchise is arguably the biggest it has been since the early 2000s. This dub would also most likely be priced reasonably as I'm sure the producers are desperate to get it out at this stage, and there is always the replacement score for them to make royalties off of.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 pm

The replacement score is also probably a lot cheaper than the original Japanese score, so that probably helps the pricing.

Plus, of course, it's Canadian(I believe it's considered 50% Canadian by the CRTC), so while Funimation Kai would count nothing towards their Canadian content requirements, Ocean Kai would count half its time towards it, which is a lot better than most animated shows, given not a lot of animation is done in Canada these days, from what I understand.

And of course, as you say, Kai could potentially open up the possibility of Ocean then doing Final Chapters and maybe Super too. And Kai is the perfect starting point for that, as it'll be a vastly cut down refresher for older fans, and for newer fans, it'll be a crash course in Dragon Ball, which will set things up perfectly for moving onto the new content of Super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 am

Robo4900 wrote:The replacement score is also probably a lot cheaper than the original Japanese score, so that probably helps the pricing.

Plus, of course, it's Canadian(I believe it's considered 50% Canadian by the CRTC), so while Funimation Kai would count nothing towards their Canadian content requirements, Ocean Kai would count half its time towards it, which is a lot better than most animated shows, given not a lot of animation is done in Canada these days, from what I understand.

And of course, as you say, Kai could potentially open up the possibility of Ocean then doing Final Chapters and maybe Super too. And Kai is the perfect starting point for that, as it'll be a vastly cut down refresher for older fans, and for newer fans, it'll be a crash course in Dragon Ball, which will set things up perfectly for moving onto the new content of Super.
FUNi hold the broadcast rights for DBS in Canada.

Anyway I think you guys are looking wayyyyyy too far ahead especially considering the situation hasn't changed one bit yet. Something similar happened with SkyOne in the UK for DBS DBZ_Lee spoke to someone there about getting it to air there and they said they were interested in it and went to look into it more and unfortunately nothing came about as they said it wasn't for them.

I refuse to get interested much less excited until we have something concrete such as a promo ad. But the situation is still the same as it was 7 years ago.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:55 am

Not surprised there. At least they looked into it. SkyOne is a bad choice for that kinda content. If I'm remembering right, I THINK they aired Pokemon in the morning way back when. That was about it for anime.

This situation is waaaay more plausible.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 am

SX10 wrote:SkyOne is a bad choice for that kinda content. If I'm remembering right, I THINK they aired Pokemon in the morning way back when. That was about it for anime.
Well, they did have Yugioh for a while.. and Transformers Armada, if that counts as an anime... but yeah, no idea why anyone thought modern day Sky One would be a good fit for DB Super.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Funimation most likely owns the North American broadcast rights to Dragon Ball, Z, GT and Kai, yet here we are.

That said, I don't really see any chance of an Ocean dub of Super being a thing. We already have two North American English dubs of that show. I'd be comical to have a third. I wish the Toonami Asia dub was done by Ocean, but I guess Turner didn't want to spend the cash.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 pm

I must have missed that Nitro! Interesting. But I get how they would think DBZ would be like those shows and then have no interest after actually investigating it.

I just sent a tweet to IPP's twitter with the shortest summary ever and a link to the twitter post.