Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Back to Shenron: I feel like when Don Brown plays him, I really feel like I'm hearing an actual dragon talk, as opposed to Sabat's portrayal, where I just hear Sabat pretending to be a dragon.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 am

SX10 wrote:Back to Shenron: I feel like when Don Brown plays him, I really feel like I'm hearing an actual dragon talk, as opposed to Sabat's portrayal, where I just hear Sabat pretending to be a dragon.
What does an actual dragon sound like?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:Back to Shenron: I feel like when Don Brown plays him, I really feel like I'm hearing an actual dragon talk, as opposed to Sabat's portrayal, where I just hear Sabat pretending to be a dragon.
Jake Long?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Not like Chris Sabat pretending to be one.

But seriously, you know what I mean, Don Brown has the booming, snarling animal like presence in the role. Sounds very grand and wise and dangerous. I've obviously never been round a real dragon but a little imagination helps :p

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 am

SX10 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Not like Chris Sabat pretending to be one.

But seriously, you know what I mean, Don Brown has the booming, snarling animal like presence in the role. Sounds very grand and wise and dangerous. I've obviously never been round a real dragon but a little imagination helps :p
Yeah, I see what you mean, and I agree. Don Brown's dragon sounds like a giant, looming, cosmic monster. Is he willing to grant you a wish? Seems like it, but you should probably ask him nicely for it.

Though, there is something to be said for Sabat's; his approach is pretty close to the Japanese dragon, IIRC. So, there's nothing wrong with Sabat's portrayal, it's just that his competition is Don Brown.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:59 am

I don't mind either Shenlong. They're both good. Though I will say that Ocean Shenlong sounds really freaky (in a good way). I never had a preference of one Shenlong over the other, though. I will say, though, that while Sabat's Shenlong is close to the Japanese one, the Japanese Shenlong isn't voiced by the same person as Piccolo and Vegeta. I guess maybe it's because I can pick out Sabat's voice very easily, so it's not that Shenlong sounds like either of those characters too much, but there's definitely something there.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 am

I personally don't have an issue with Sabat's Shenron. I think he can do any deep voice pretty well.

I'm not a fan of his Yi Xing Long though, found it very rough and unnatural. That's one of the few roles I'd take the Blue Water actor over him.

Don Brown would be a solid choice for Shenron though, although they could get the Blue Water actor or someone new and I'd be open to it too.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I personally don't have an issue with Sabat's Shenron. I think he can do any deep voice pretty well.

I'm not a fan of his Yi Xing Long though, found it very rough and unnatural. That's one of the few roles I'd take the Blue Water actor over him.

Don Brown would be a solid choice for Shenron though, although they could get the Blue Water actor or someone new and I'd be open to it too.
I didn't like the Blue Water actor. He didn't feel menacing to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I personally don't have an issue with Sabat's Shenron. I think he can do any deep voice pretty well.

Haha. Honestly, I quite liked all the Blue Water evil dragon voices.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

If Ocean had dubbed GT, I would have loved Christopher Judge as Omega Shenron.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:27 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I didn't like the Blue Water actor. He didn't feel menacing to me.
Oh man, that would've been awesome.

Though, I imagine Scott McNeil, Don Brown, or one of the Dobsons would be a more likely casting.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Haha. Honestly, I quite liked all the Blue Water evil dragon voices.
Oh man, that would've been awesome.

Though, I imagine Scott McNeil, Don Brown, or one of the Dobsons would be a more likely casting.
I can't see Brown working, but Scott and the Dobsons could work.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

After listening to this:

https://youtu.be/jhOErGNMmOQ

I'd like to change my vote to Doug Parker :O wow! Dunno if he's still around but I hope so.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Canada has finally gotten their revenge at USA. Yokai Watch is moving to Vancouver!

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2018/ ... #more-2865
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 pm

SX10 wrote:After listening to this:

I'd like to change my vote to Doug Parker :O wow! Dunno if he's still around but I hope so.
He is still around, but he only sticks to directing these days, much like Terry Klassen.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:After listening to this:

He is still around, but he only sticks to directing these days, much like Terry Klassen.
I think, for a role as small as Shen Long(Remember, he doesn't have that many lines across the series), I imagine he could come back. But, I think it's more likely they'd just bring Don Brown or Dave Pettitt back.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Canada has finally gotten their revenge at USA. Yokai Watch is moving to Vancouver!

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2018/ ... #more-2865
Haha. Well, judging by what that blog post says about the localisation(Apparently they tried to imply it wasn't set in Japan), I imagine the translations could very well be a lot better if they're letting Ocean handle that.
Either way, if they're moving away from being LA-based, I think Vancouver is the right choice. Recasting is always a shame, but I'm sure the incredible talents of the Vancouver crew will soften the blow as much as is possible. :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:19 pm

Doug Parker's Shenron is really impressive coming from a guy that tends to voice high-pitched characters. One of the best performances from the BLT dub.

And Robo, I remember you saying that the Funimation Kai scripts were too similar to the Funimation Z dub. I recall Frieza telling Zarbon to find Vegeta or else he'll wish that he had never been born in the Ocean dub, and they even have him say that in the Funi Kai dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Looking at that article, I find it interesting that Ocean worked on a pilot of Inazuma Eleven. Honestly, if they had dubbed the whole series, it would have been a hell of a lot better than the actual dub.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:43 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Looking at that article, I find it interesting that Ocean worked on a pilot of Inazuma Eleven. Honestly, if they had dubbed the whole series, it would have been a hell of a lot better than the actual dub.
What actual dub? The U.S one or the U.K one?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Tian wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Looking at that article, I find it interesting that Ocean worked on a pilot of Inazuma Eleven. Honestly, if they had dubbed the whole series, it would have been a hell of a lot better than the actual dub.
What actual dub? The U.S one or the U.K one?
The Inazuma Eleven anime was dubbed in Hong Kong.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.