Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:33 pm

jochs wrote:Assuming that there is no home release, does anyone think the dub will be presented in 5.1 surround sound? Don't get me wrong.. I'm excited for the new Ocean score, but I think it'd be neat to see people do their own soundtrack edits that we see with the uncut FUNi audio all the time.
Depends, do Canadian stations broadcast in 5.1?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 pm

I don't see why a Canadian TV station wouldn't.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:53 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Exactly. If FUNimation was that dim then they would be pronouncing Freeza as they spell it Frieza to be "Fry-za" (even the guys at DBZ Abridged pointed it out) but they don't really do that, though.
That makes literally no sense as the English language does not work that way. Besides, how does VegettoEX pronounce his name? It's not "La-Bry" but, by the logic being applied to the whole "Frieza" thing, he's been pronouncing his name wrong his entire life. What is that word which is spelled similar to Frieza? It's "friend," isn't it? It is neither pronounced "fr-ee-nd" or "fry-nd" but "fr-eh-nd" then there's "sieve" which is pronounced "s-ih-ve" which illustrates that the sounds a combination of vowels make in English isn't so rigid.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:07 am

I wonder if Ocean will use the same font for the title cards as FUNImation or they will do the same thing they did in their early days... CGI cards.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:56 am

Tian wrote:I wonder if Ocean will use the same font for the title cards as FUNImation or they will do the same thing they did in their early days... CGI cards.
I'm pretty sure it'll be the font used in the Nicktoons version of Funimation's dub. Ocean lent Funi their edited video but with Funimation's episode titles, so I imagine the reason why the Nicktoons version used a different font than the uncut version is simply because that's the font Ocean was using.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 am

jochs wrote:Assuming that there is no home release, does anyone think the dub will be presented in 5.1 surround sound? Don't get me wrong.. I'm excited for the new Ocean score, but I think it'd be neat to see people do their own soundtrack edits that we see with the uncut FUNi audio all the time.
I very highly doubt it. The dub was produced around 2010-ish, and although 5.1 surround systems were well past their introduction and were a staple in many homes, very few channels were broadcasting in surround sound at that time. So they most definitely only did a stereo mix since that's all that would have been needed.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:58 am

Was talking to my friend about this who is very into audio engineering and works with the BBC currently and he was saying that although they would have the master files, the mix would most likely have been a stereo mix, and unlikely remastered for HD. Although, if they got the masters and wanted to up their game, maybe they could rework it, who knows.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:21 am

I hope Marni's mind won't be changed if TOEI can't make a HD version of this dub.

Comedy Gold was SD, and I haven't read anything about HD being used as a selling point for Wow TV, so it shouldn't be a huge priority.

The average consumer won't notice, much less care if Ocean Kai is broadcast in stereo or surround sound. I'm sure almost everyone in this thread will just be happy to see it at all, upscaled or not.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 am

I don't think the lack of HD will change their mind. Wow! are super into Canada and Canadian options will highly appeal (and cost them less), plus both sides have now seen first hand that is in demand.

Even a lot fo HD channels out there have a twin channel running at standard def. Most consumers will have HD TV and high speed Internet etc. but not everyone.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Wow, SX10, you have a friend that works with the BBC? That's pretty cool.

Happy birthday, by the way.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm

It just recently occurred to me that this dub would (I say “would” because it still hasn’t officially been confirmed that this dub will be released) mark the first time that Bardock would ever appear in an Ocean production. I’m kind of curious if they got Richard Ian Cox to voice him, or if they did what FUNimation did and gave him a completely different voice.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:53 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Wow, SX10, you have a friend that works with the BBC? That's pretty cool.

Haha! Thank you very much!

Yeah he completed training in England and went into an apprenticeship there I think. He studied audio engineering at Glasgow School of Art and such and went for it. His job is quite technical really but it's clearly his passion. So any questions regarding audio and stuff like that I go to him haha.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:27 pm

It would also mark the first time we will ever see an Ocean dub of the Freeza saga. Drummond doing Vegeta's dying words in particular will be nearly 20 years in the making. Granted it will probably feel completely new other than that since Goku and Freeza will both have new takes from Cox and Tockar respectively and from what we've heard the Keenlyside and Mitchell score composed for this dub might be nothing like the Westwood dub score, but I'm still interested to see how the end product turns out.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:10 am

I'm so hyped for the dub. I can't wait!! :) :D

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:19 am

What channel do we think this would air on in the UK? I've got the UK Blu-Ray releases of DBZ Kai and generally prefer the FUNi cast, but very intrigued to see how Ocean tackle it.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am

SX10 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Wow, SX10, you have a friend that works with the BBC? That's pretty cool.

Haha! Thank you very much!

Yeah he completed training in England and went into an apprenticeship there I think. He studied audio engineering at Glasgow School of Art and such and went for it. His job is quite technical really but it's clearly his passion. So any questions regarding audio and stuff like that I go to him haha.
I hope he's got good insurance... :shock:
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Night Owl wrote:What channel do we think this would air on in the UK? I've got the UK Blu-Ray releases of DBZ Kai and generally prefer the FUNi cast, but very intrigued to see how Ocean tackle it.
I don't see this dub airing in the UK as there doesn't seem to be any broadcasters interested in Dragon Ball. Even TOEI seem to have given up as they let MangaUK release The Final Chapters and Super on home video before a TV deal could be secured (which is not like them).

Although, Toonami has been making a comeback in other parts of the world like Southeast Asia, Africa, and obviously the US for years, so who knows maybe they could return to the UK soon. If they do make a comeback and pick up Kai we can be pretty sure since its Turner they will air the Ocean dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:It would also mark the first time we will ever see an Ocean dub of the Freeza saga. Drummond doing Vegeta's dying words in particular will be nearly 20 years in the making. Granted it will probably feel completely new other than that since Goku and Freeza will both have new takes from Cox and Tockar respectively and from what we've heard the Keenlyside and Mitchell score composed for this dub might be nothing like the Westwood dub score, but I'm still interested to see how the end product turns out.
And we'll see Saffron Henderson doing SSJ2 Gohan's transformation as well.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Night Owl wrote:What channel do we think this would air on in the UK? I've got the UK Blu-Ray releases of DBZ Kai and generally prefer the FUNi cast, but very intrigued to see how Ocean tackle it.
I don't see this dub airing in the UK as there doesn't seem to be any broadcasters interested in Dragon Ball. Even TOEI seem to have given up as they let MangaUK release The Final Chapters and Super on home video before a TV deal could be secured (which is not like them).

Although, Toonami has been making a comeback in other parts of the world like Southeast Asia, Africa, and obviously the US for years, so who knows maybe they could return to the UK soon. If they do make a comeback and pick up Kai we can be pretty sure since its Turner they will air the Ocean dub.
I suppose the UK always had a strange relationship with Dragon Ball when it came to licensing and rights.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Night Owl wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

I suppose the UK always had a strange relationship with Dragon Ball when it came to licensing and rights.
Eh. Unusual compared to America, yes, but not all that strange. The UK basically took the same route as Canada for TV, with us using the only dub there was for the first hundred-ish episodes, then jumping ship to the cheaper Canadian dub once that got started, except we jumped into Ocean's revived Z run 60 episodes sooner than Canada, and we didn't really get any home video until MangaUK stepped up as basically just an import company for Funimation releases.

I think if Toonami come back in the UK, we're most likely to get Ocean's dub(It'll probably be cheaper, Turner UK will know it's the guys who used to do it in their version back around 2001-2006, and it'll likely be like the old UK Toonami where it was still very much a childrens' network, but with a lot of action cartoons and such, usually of the kind that appeals to older kids, but everyone can enjoy; Teen Titans, Justice League, Chris Colorado, Dragon Ball, Batman Beyond... So, there'd be no incentive towards uncut, so Ocean's dub would be the more attractive option), but it's really a question of whether Toonami will come back.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.