Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Godgoku95 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Godgoku95 wrote: THEY WERE nice and i got breaking news it is not cancelled
That's all they revealed? No casting choices?
AFRAID NOT they didn't say i did ask and there's hope for a boxset
Woah :O a box set would be perfect. Did they mention any kind of time frame or did they seem confident about the whole thing?

Wish I could meet these guys myself. Did you ask about anything else or get any other cool details?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 am

Godgoku95 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Godgoku95 wrote: THEY WERE nice and i got breaking news it is not cancelled
Source?
No offense but anyone can just say "I met the voice actors it's not cancelled."
Its the same thing as "My dad works at Toei guys it's confirmed."
I asked what was happening with the dub and Brian Said to follow his Twitter to hear about the dub, do you want proof i met them

So you're saying Brian Drummond will announce something on his twitter? And that this dub will come out somehow?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:46 am

sangofe wrote:
Godgoku95 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote: Source?
No offense but anyone can just say "I met the voice actors it's not cancelled."
Its the same thing as "My dad works at Toei guys it's confirmed."
I asked what was happening with the dub and Brian Said to follow his Twitter to hear about the dub, do you want proof i met them
So you're saying Brian Drummond will announce something on his twitter? And that this dub will come out somehow?
It's more likely that he simply told him something along the lines of "when we (the actors) receive any new information about it airing, we'll post it on twitter, so be sure to follow us". Right now the actors wouldn't realistically have any new info on the whereabouts of this dub. I also don't think there's any truth to his claims of a "box set" either, as much as I wish that were true. Either Godgoku is misremembering or not he's not totally being honest with us. Keep in mind we've already had one user spread fake information about this dub after allegedly meeting someone at a convention. You have to take this stuff with a grain of salt no matter who it is.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:19 pm

i can't remember alright, i forget easily but i know we shouldn't give up

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Fail to see how a physical release is even possible, who is gonna distribute it? Kai has already been released by FUNi in Canada. Hell even TFC is already being released by FUNi in Canada.

No offense to Godgoku95 but you're gonna need to give us more meat, it's already been close to 7 years of varying reports on this and that regarding the Ocean dub we need something concrete here fans are fed up of rumours and speculation.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:02 pm

NitroEX wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Godgoku95 wrote: I asked what was happening with the dub and Brian Said to follow his Twitter to hear about the dub, do you want proof i met them
It's more likely that he simply told him something along the lines of "when we (the actors) receive any new information about it airing, we'll post it on twitter, so be sure to follow us". Right now the actors wouldn't realistically have any new info on the whereabouts of this dub. I also don't think there's any truth to his claims of a "box set" either, as much as I wish that were true. Either Godgoku is misremembering or not he's not totally being honest with us. Keep in mind we've already had one user spread fake information about this dub after allegedly meeting someone at a convention. You have to take this stuff with a grain of salt no matter who it is.
To be fair to Quantum-Kakarrotto he did keep telling us to take the information about the Ocean dub of Kai airing in Korea with a grain of salt. Yes it was misinformation, but his approach gave more an impression of someone who wanted to learn more about an alleged sighting (and where better to ask than the most dedicated thread about that subject on the internet?) than someone who intently wanted to spread rumours about it, even if that was the result. He seemed to have good intention.

Godgoku95, we appreciate you attending Kelowna Fan Expo to talk to Brian and Lee, and I'm not going to say you didn't hear Lee's Freeza, but its hard for us to believe without evidence. I would recommend trimming the video to only show the parts with the Freeza voice. It would be a great way to keep some interesting discussion going here.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:06 pm

I didn't want to name and shame anyone directly, but since you brought it up... Remaining silent on the issue isn't a sign of good faith. It doesn't take much effort to post a quick message saying "sorry everyone, looks like a false alarm after all". His story was already pretty fishy to begin with and it's not right to get people's hopes up like that. If this discussion devolves into fake reports and sightings it'll probably end up just getting the thread locked.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm

@Godgoku95, If you don't want your voice on any airwaves of the Internet like YouTube and Facebook, and you don't have the resources to snip the video, might I suggest uploading the raw video to a file host like MEGA.nz and give just us the link to download it on this thread.

I can give my word that I won't mock you for any reason, and I'm pretty sure that behavior won't be tolerated anyway.

I really hope we can hear Lee as Frieza. :D
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm

NitroEX wrote:I didn't want to name and shame anyone directly, but since you brought it up... Remaining silent on the issue isn't a sign of good faith. It doesn't take much effort to post a quick message saying "sorry everyone, looks like a false alarm after all". His story was already pretty fishy to begin with and it's not right to get people's hopes up like that. If this discussion devolves into fake reports and sightings it'll probably end up just getting the thread locked.
That's all I'm saying. I didn't appreciate being accused of mocking him.
(Not that you implied that, but yeah.)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:23 am

I really do hope this is fake news as Lee sounding like the Joker is not really promising at all.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I really do hope this is fake news as Lee sounding like the Joker is not really promising at all.
Well, KaiserNeko described it as sounding like a British version of Mark Hamil's joker. I could potentially see this working.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I really do hope this is fake news as Lee sounding like the Joker is not really promising at all.
Well, KaiserNeko described it as sounding like a British version of Mark Hamil's joker. I could potentially see this working.
Well I guess I'll have to hear it to make an actual judgement but based on that description not feeling confident. The scripting is also gonna be key here.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Well I guess I'll have to hear it to make an actual judgement but based on that description not feeling confident. The scripting is also gonna be key here.
I don't see what the issue is. Chris Ayers' Frieza voice isn't that far off from a "British version of Mark Hamil's joker" either. Keep in mind we're talking voice here and not characterisation. One can sound similar in voice to Hamill's Joker without acting like a laughing maniac. I'm sure the directors knew what they were doing.

While on this subject, as curious as I am to hear his Frieza voice I'd honestly prefer to have my first impression of it be in the actual dub if possible. I just know that fan recordings probably won't do it justice, especially at a noisy convention.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I don't see what the issue is. Chris Ayers' Frieza voice isn't that far off from a "British version of Mark Hamil's joker" either. Keep in mind we're talking voice here and not characterisation. One can sound similar in voice to Hamill's Joker without acting like a laughing maniac. I'm sure the directors knew what they were doing.

While on this subject, as curious as I am to hear his Frieza voice I'd honestly prefer to have my first impression of it be in the actual dub if possible. I just know that fan recordings probably won't do it justice, especially at a noisy convention.
Well I guess it remains to be seen then, was just hearing Joker and Freeza in the same sentence didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

And I don't think Ayres sounds anything close to a British Joker.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:57 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Isn't that far off? When I hear Ayres' Frieza, I don't get anything from him that sounds like Hamill's Joker.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

I have to agree with 8000 Saiyan here, Ayers' Frieza doesn't sound like Mark Hamil's Joker, which is why I'm actually looking forward to hearing Tockar's Frieza if it does sound like that.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:38 pm

I like the sound of the fact they're not just doing impressions of the FUNi cast for their characters. That was something I always appreciated about the Westwood dub; Vegetto was a single voice, which -- at the time, with the knowledge that the Potara earrings was a permanent fusion, and that Kaioshin had a single voice when he fused with Kibito -- made a lot of sense, and ended up sounding really cool, and very distinct from Funimation's approach. Naturally, both are equally valid approaches, but it's cool to have that alternative take on it, you know?

Actually, that reminds me of a question that's on my mind; do we know if Vegetto will still be a single voice in Ocean Kai?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Do we know if Vegetto will still be a single voice in Ocean Kai?
We don't even know if the Buu saga will be dubbed by Ocean, let alone that.

First these 98 episodes have to air for any future projects to happen.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Oh right, I forgot about that; particularly now that Boo Kai is out, it's hard to think of Kai as being two separate productions. >_>
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:21 am

Robo4900 wrote:I like the sound of the fact they're not just doing impressions of the FUNi cast for their characters. That was something I always appreciated about the Westwood dub; Vegetto was a single voice, which -- at the time, with the knowledge that the Potara earrings was a permanent fusion, and that Kaioshin had a single voice when he fused with Kibito -- made a lot of sense, and ended up sounding really cool, and very distinct from Funimation's approach. Naturally, both are equally valid approaches, but it's cool to have that alternative take on it, you know?

Actually, that reminds me of a question that's on my mind; do we know if Vegetto will still be a single voice in Ocean Kai?
Yeah a single voice made way more sense and was less distracting, but from FUNi and JPN perspective when Black fused their voice was single too so I guess in verse perspective is that when Kaioshin fuse they have a single voice?