Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:41 pm

If Christopher Judge was in an Ocean Dragon Ball dub, I would die of happiness.

But yeah, probably not gonna happen.

As a side-note, I wonder if Dale Wilson is back as Kami this time... The only times it wasn't him playing him before was when Ward Perry was voicing him in episodes 17+ of the Saban dub, and the movies; Wilson, meanwhile, voiced him in the entire Westwood run, and the first 16 episodes of the Saban dub, so I imagine they probably would have re-auditioned him, at least.
NitroEX wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of better options for Babidi than McNeil or Michael Dobson, If it got to the point of having to reuse actors and Sam Vincent is being used in place of Terry Klassen then I'm sure even he'd be more fitting at doing shrill villainous voices. Alec Willows is another one that could potentially work (Tarantulas for example) and that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are lots of others including the Calgary talent. If they want a more straight and serious voice rather than a character voice that opens the options up even more.
Oh, definitely. Vancouver and Calgary have a lot of great talent in them, so I'm absolutely pumped to see who's in for Ocean Kai. I'm sure they could get some incredible people for a hypothetical Boo Kai dub at some point too. :)
Robo4900 wrote:Well of course but I don't think things would be that bad. The Buu arc doesn't have as many characters to cast for as Kai 1.0 and because it technically counts as a separate production it would likely have it's own casting budget rather than sharing it with the original dub of Kai. A lot of Kai 1.0's cast wouldn't need to be carried over and thus wouldn't need to be paid any longer, they would only need to pay Lee Tockar and Cell's VA one time for their cameo, similar to how it worked in the Westwood dub with David Kaye's Recoome.

I'm sure Brad Swaile would return for Gohan if given the chance, someone asked him once about dubbing Battle of Gods at a convention panel and he seemed open to voicing more Dragon Ball. The only one who definitely wouldn't be back for the Buu arc would be Moneca Stori as Videl as she no longer voice acts, as far as I'm aware. The various Incarnations of Buu are already taken care of by Brian Dobson and Scott McNeil. I could see them casting someone else as Dabura though (and no, not Michael Dobson :wink:).
Indeed. The Kai 1.0 carry-overs would likely all be able to be kept without recasting(Except for those who are unavailable, of course). And yeah, there aren't a ton of new characters; Gohan's classmates are minor characters, so they can probably get a couple of Calgary actors to voice the whole lot; then aside from some minor characters from the tournament and a few other one-offs, the only new characters I can think of are adult Gohan, Videl, Kaioshin, Kibito, Yamu, Spopovich, Babidi, Dabura, Boo... I think that's it.
So, assuming they can get Brad Swaile back, that's Gohan covered, Michael Dobson would probably be able to reprise Kaioshin, same for Brian Dobson and Scott McNeil as Boo, so that only leaves Videl, Kibito, Yamu, Spopovich, Babidi, and Dabura, and honestly I could imagine any/all of them going to Blue Water actors.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:09 am

Maybe a Blue Water actor is going to play Kami.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:35 am

Assuming Richard read this within the contex of the conversation, I believe this is the first time he's ever referenced playing Goku. Would seem to imply he took some cues from Kelamis' portrayal.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:36 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Assuming Richard read this within the contex of the conversation, I believe this is the first time he's ever referenced playing Goku. Would seem to imply he took some cues from Kelamis' portrayal.
It makes sense since this dub was being recorded around the same time as Funimation's version the cast probably wasn't influenced by Funi Kai, and since the producers wanted a more authentic Goku Kelamis' work in the Pioneer trilogy was the best English example at the time. I am happy to hear Richard Ian Cox potentially acknowledge the role, I really want to hear his perspective on taking on such an iconic role especially if we will one day (hopefully) get to hear his take.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Maybe the negotiations to air Ocean Kai are far enough along that the actors are being told they can relax about discussing things to an extent.

On another note, so nice to see these actors being so nice. Reminds me of this a little, except even more wholesome. There's plenty of Goku to go around too, I suppose. :D

Anyway, I don't know if we should take that so literally; Richard Ian Cox probably grew up with Dragon Ball on TV, so he may very well have been a fan of Kelamis's Goku previously. I imagine he's probably doing a new take on the voice, though. Maybe he'll take some hints on delivery from previous performances, but I imagine he's probably doing his own thing. Should be really cool either way, though. :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Maybe the negotiations to air Ocean Kai are far enough along that the actors are being told they can relax about discussing things to an extent.

On another note, so nice to see these actors being so nice. Reminds me of this a little, except even more wholesome. There's plenty of Goku to go around too, I suppose. :D

Anyway, I don't know if we should take that so literally; Richard Ian Cox probably grew up with Dragon Ball on TV, so he may very well have been a fan of Kelamis's Goku previously. I imagine he's probably doing a new take on the voice, though. Maybe he'll take some hints on delivery from previous performances, but I imagine he's probably doing his own thing. Should be really cool either way, though. :)
Grew up? The guy was in his twenties when Dragon Ball Z aired in the 90's.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Maybe the negotiations to air Ocean Kai are far enough along that the actors are being told they can relax about discussing things to an extent.

Sabat strikes me as the more easygoing type as compared to someone else who reportedly acts more immaturely toward others who voiced the same part. How have they not been filmed in room together talking to each other using their Vegeta voice? lol

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:31 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Grew up? The guy was in his twenties when Dragon Ball Z aired in the 90's.
Well, I don't really know who Richard Ian Cox is, so I dunno.
Anyway, Dragon Ball didn't really air in the '90s, it was more like '98-2003.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Grew up? The guy was in his twenties when Dragon Ball Z aired in the 90's.
Well, I don't really know who Richard Ian Cox is, so I dunno.
Anyway, Dragon Ball didn't really air in the '90s, it was more like '98-2003.
Richard Ian Cox is a guy who has worked with the Ocean Group since the 90's.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:12 am

Well, if you ever wanted to hear what Brian Drummond's Vegeta still sounds like ... https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 21/video/1 https://twitter.com/myanimewaifu/status ... 3791922176
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:21 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Well, if you ever wanted to hear what Brian Drummond's Vegeta still sounds like ... https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 21/video/1 https://twitter.com/myanimewaifu/status ... 3791922176
Come to the Super dub forum to discuss this maybe, we have cookies!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:20 am

That's how he sounds for Ocean Kai?

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 am

I'm freaking out man!!

That sounds like his original higher voice though, doesn't it?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:49 am

SX10 wrote:I'm freaking out man!!

That sounds like his original higher voice though, doesn't it?
It reminds me of his Westwood dub take.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:58 am

Really, just so thrilled Funi brought Drummond back. Now if Super ends up getting a throwaway clone evil Piccolo arc I will be really excited.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:06 am

His delivery is definitely more refined. That scream!! This was a great surprise today.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:08 am

If that's how Drummond really sounds in Ocean Kai, then I wonder if for the Android-Cell Sagas he'll do a deeper pitch.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 am

I'd guess it will be lower, but not necessarily deep, which is fine as I prefer for Drummond and Sabat to keep their own unique takes on the character.

Also, the preview for Funi Super episode 45 is out, that Galick Gun was nothing short of incredible, better than ever IMO.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:16 am

All can I say about Drummond being cast as Copy Vegeta is that I love Sabat even more for casting him.

If Cox has taken notes from Kelamis, then that's great, but I'd rather prefer if he made the role his own, much like Schemmel did with Kai.

Ricno924

Post by Ricno924 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Really, just so thrilled Funi brought Drummond back. Now if Super ends up getting a throwaway clone evil Piccolo arc I will be really excited.
Oh man, I'd be down for that.