Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:42 am

If discussion about this dub bothers you so much then just ignore the thread so you can carry on discussing power levels or whatever else. There's no reason to try and stop others from occasionally talking about something that you don't have an interest in.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:30 pm

NitroEX wrote:If discussion about this dub bothers you so much then just ignore the thread so you can carry on discussing power levels or whatever else. There's no reason to try and stop others from occasionally talking about something that you don't have an interest in.
Pardon me? If that was supposed to be a funny insult, I didn't really find it funny.

Either way, I just meant that this has be discussed to death and whenever people bump up the topic, it's usually the same information and the same speculation that's been discussed back and forth with really no progress made on it. If any new information comes to life, then it does make sense to continue the discussion. But as it stands, we really have nothing new and we're just going in circles as far as discussion goes.

Besides, the response was mostly to correct some information the guy was giving above, as I felt he misrepresent some information.

EDIT: (If you weren't referring to me and just the thread in general or someone else, I apologize.)
Last edited by ChibiGoku on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:32 pm

ChibiGoku wrote:
NitroEX wrote:If discussion about this dub bothers you so much then just ignore the thread so you can carry on discussing power levels or whatever else. There's no reason to try and stop others from occasionally talking about something that you don't have an interest in.
Pardon me? If that was supposed to be a funny insult, I didn't really find it funny.

Either way, I just meant that this has be discussed to death and whenever people bump up the topic, it's usually the same information and the same speculation that's been discussed back and forth with really no progress made on it. If any new information comes to life, then it does make sense to continue the discussion. But as it stands, we really have nothing new and we're just going in circles as far as discussion goes.

Besides, the response was mostly to correct some information the guy was giving above, as I felt he misrepresent some information.
Doesn't that also sum up the majority of modern day Dragonball discussion? It's mostly all recycled and "discussed to death" from my perspective. While there might not be a whole lot of new information coming out for this dub that's no reason to actively try and prevent people from using this thread as a gathering point to talk about any new information that may appear. Half the time it isn't even bumped up by news, it's someone asking why people are still talking about it or why the dub exists in the first place. None of this adds anything to the discussion and is frankly rather annoying at this point.

Also in case you didn't read the last page, someone did bring some new information to light, people responded to that new information and the discussion pretty much ended after that. It was only when people like jelleline89 & NinjaGoku decided to come into the thread and ask redundant questions that the thread was bumped up needlessly. Like I've said before; you have the option of ignoring this thread, no one's forcing you to read it.

And no, my comment wasn't intended to be an insult, it wasn't even aimed at you tbh but I guess that's my fault for not quoting.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 pm

NitroEX wrote: And no, my comment wasn't intended to be an insult, it wasn't even aimed at you tbh but I guess that's my fault for not quoting.
My bad then. I suppose it didn't help, like you mention, you didn't quote who it was. Sorry 'bout that.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:32 pm

I have a right to speak up if I find a thread is getting to the point of becoming redundant. With the exception of a handful of actual newsworthy updates, all this thread has been is five years of speculation. How many more years have to go by until enough's enough?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't understand how this particular thread offends you so much. There is obviously no reason to lock it even if this dub won't come out forever because it's nothing different than FUNi's DB/movies DBox or any kind of threads in which people cry out for something that won't happen. As someone already said, just ignore this thread if you don't like it.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 pm

jelleline89 wrote: With the exception of a handful of actual newsworthy updates, all this thread has been is five years of speculation. How many more years have to go by until enough's enough?
The only redundant contributions right now are the same type of ones you're making, this thread will die when people no longer find it interesting and quit talking about it or there's no more news left to discuss. The discussion is barely active as it is so I don't see why you're blowing this so out of proportion. If your only reason to lock this thread is because you feel it's redundant it just makes you sound petty, none of us know if this dub will be announced or not but if (hypothetically) it get's announced tomorrow I'd prefer to have a thread open so that I can be notified.

I'm personally not giving up hope until a fair amount of time passes after Funimation's dub of final chapters. Since Funimation were one of the first to know about the Ocean dub I can definitely picture them using their connections at Toei to prevent any competing English dubs from being released within the same timeframe as theirs. They probably lost out on a lot of money to AB group because of the Westwood dub so they have every reason to prevent that from happening again. Canada is likely just one of the few territories left that has held out and refused to air Funimation's dub. I'd like to see how things play out before I jump to conclusions.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 pm

jelleline89 wrote:
I have a right to speak up if I find a thread is getting to the point of becoming redundant. With the exception of a handful of actual newsworthy updates, all this thread has been is five years of speculation. How many more years have to go by until enough's enough?
Then report the thread instead of dragging it off-topic.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:50 pm

NitroEX wrote:Canada is likely just one of the few territories left that has held out and refused to air Funimation's dub. I'd like to see how things play out before I jump to conclusions.
Speaking of which...what territories have aired the FUNimation dub of Kai so far? Why don't we make a list so we can keep track. Off the top of my head...

U.S.: FUNimation dub (insert "no duh" here).
Canada: None so far.
U.K.: FUNimation dub.

What about Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands (who aired the Ocean dub of DBZ, albeit with Dutch subtitles)? And other territories that got FUNimation's dub of DBZ?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:02 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
NitroEX wrote:Canada is likely just one of the few territories left that has held out and refused to air Funimation's dub. I'd like to see how things play out before I jump to conclusions.
Speaking of which...what territories have aired the FUNimation dub of Kai so far? Why don't we make a list so we can keep track. Off the top of my head...

What about Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands (who aired the Ocean dub of DBZ, albeit with Dutch subtitles)? And other territories that got FUNimation's dub of DBZ?
Australia got the FUNi Kai dub. It was released onto DVD via Dragon Ball's Oceania distributor Madman http://www.madman.com.au/series/view/15 ... ball-z-kai
I also think it aired on Pay TV at some point although i'm not sure which channel. I'm pretty certain it's the same situation in New Zealand as well.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:16 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Australia got the FUNi Kai dub. It was released onto DVD via Dragon Ball's Oceania distributor Madman http://www.madman.com.au/series/view/15 ... ball-z-kai
I also think it aired on Pay TV at some point although i'm not sure which channel. I'm pretty certain it's the same situation in New Zealand as well.
Oh, well, to be clear, I'm talking specifically about TV in this instance. It's FUNimation's dub in all instances when it comes to home video releases (just like with DBZ).

So, can anybody confirm if the FUNimation aired on non-Pay TV in these countries?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 am

I don't agree that this thread should be locked. Kanzenshuu is a Dragon Ball forum and this is Dragon Ball material. That said, I do agree that this thread has kind of turned into a mess. How many bumps have solely been caused by someone posting something they thought was new but was actually posted months prior? With that in mind, I think this thread should have an index of the news so far with an updated original post/title directing onlookers to ensure they're not discussing old material.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
So, can anybody confirm if the FUNimation aired on non-Pay TV in these countries?
I believe the CW would qualify as non-pay TV in Canada as I was able to view the channel (and, by extension, the Toonzai broadcast of Kai) at my parents' place on aerial TV, as opposed to only through their satellite service.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:24 pm

ErikB wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I believe the CW would qualify as non-pay TV in Canada as I was able to view the channel (and, by extension, the Toonzai broadcast of Kai) at my parents' place on aerial TV, as opposed to only through their satellite service.
The CW isn't a Canadian channel.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:38 pm

I'm not sure why the distinction between paid TV vs non-paid TV matters? Is over-the-air/terrestrial TV significantly more popular than cable/satellite in places like Australia?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Theophrastus wrote:I'm not sure why the distinction between paid TV vs non-paid TV matters? Is over-the-air/terrestrial TV significantly more popular than cable/satellite in places like Australia?
It may not. I asked only because I believe with paid TV, you can get access to channels that you might not necessarily get in your geographic location, including foreign TV channels. So, being able to get access to a foreign TV channel in Canada wouldn't technically count as Canadian TV.

This is relevant in the case of the Ocean dub, because if we ever see it, it's definitely going to be a TV-only dub, like the Westwood dub of DBZ and the Blue Water dubs of DB and GT.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Oh. In that case then yeah, the distinction makes sense.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm

This might interest some of you, it's a recent interview with Brian Drummond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbviNqCPkY
At 18:16 he's asked about Kai and he talks about how his Vegeta voice has been pitched down since the 1996 dub. There are some follow on Dragon Ball questions, one of them about the quality of the Westwood dub. I found it interesting the way he pronounces Goku.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Speaking of which...what territories have aired the FUNimation dub of Kai so far? Why don't we make a list so we can keep track. Off the top of my head...

I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning but Ireland was able to get Kai through Kix! but the episodes on their site are blocked when viewed within Ireland. This kind of suggests Kix! didn't get the Irish rights, this wouldn't be the first time. When Cartoon Network lost the rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Kix! picked up the rights for the UK and RTÉ 2 for Ireland. Cartoon Network had the rights for both the UK and ROI, this too was the case with regard the Dragon Ball licenses in the early 2000s. So there's a slim chance of it airing in Ireland but I wouldn't really count on it.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:With that in mind, I think this thread should have an index of the news so far with an updated original post/title directing onlookers to ensure they're not discussing old material.
I think this is a good idea. Having all the information in one place would avoid repeating old news.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm

So... uh... any progress on the Ocean Kai yet?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So... uh... any progress on the Ocean Kai yet?
:clap:
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.