Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So, I wonder how much Drummond's slightly different portrayal of Vegeta in Funimation's Super dub was influenced by just how he plays the part these days(And thus, how he'll sound in Ocean Kai), and how much was down to the way he was directed by Sabat.
He was probably more influenced with how he played him in Z.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:34 pm

It's maybe a little too early to to tell.

Also - Happy New Years everyone! :D
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:49 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Also I just heard Nappa's voice in the Ocean dub. Its terrific! Too bad its on THIS scene!

https://youtu.be/Kl4ghsv04V0
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Also I just heard Nappa's voice in the Ocean dub. Its terrific! Too bad its on THIS scene!

Man, I think I got a case of "Can't Hear It" because every time I see or listen Nappa, I automatically think of Takahata101's voice.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Too bad it's Sunday. Those people wouldn't have been in danger tomorrow.
Tian wrote:

Man, I think I got a case of "Can't Hear It" because every time I see or listen Nappa, I automatically think of Takahata101's voice.
Taka's is definitely good, but it's, for me, definitely a case of "can't take seriously," which you're not supposed to because TFS is a parody first.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Scsigs wrote:Too bad it's Sunday. Those people wouldn't have been in danger tomorrow.
Haha.
Say what you will about the Saban dub, I love every second of it. It's like the Yu-Gi-Oh dub -- it's censored, it's cut, the music is an inferior replacement, but it's got a fun, cheesy charm you can't help but love.
Scsigs wrote:Taka's is definitely good, but it's, for me, definitely a case of "can't take seriously," which you're not supposed to because TFS is a parody first.
Yeah, same. Like basically all of the Ocean cast, Michael Dobson's Nappa is just how Nappa sounds as far as I'm concerned. But, at the same time, Taka's Nappa is absolutely perfect for TFS.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Yeah, same. Like basically all of the Ocean cast, Michael Dobson's Nappa is just how Nappa sounds as far as I'm concerned. But, at the same time, Taka's Nappa is absolutely perfect for TFS.
Yeah, I have to agree. Michael Dobson is just perfect for Nappa, and Phil Parsons sounds generic compared to him.
90sDBZ wrote:There's really no way to say how Kelamis would have been if he'd stuck at the role. The thing is that while Schemmel got better over time Kelamis got much worse. The role couldn't have meant as much to Kelamis considering he chose to leave it. He obviously didn't have the passion for it that Sean does so he might never have gotten that good. I'm pretty sure he was still involved in voice work even after leaving DBZ like in Ed Edd n Eddy so he must have considered Goku one of his less important roles which he decided to sacrifice for his comedy career.

Kirby Morrow on the other hand stayed for the remainder of Z and wanted to do Kai too so that shows that he cared about the role more than Kelamis or Corlett. It's too bad he wasn't that well suited for the role. He did sound pretty heroic as Goku but failed at his innocent side and it threw me off how his Goku voice was also the exact same he used for most of his characters. Maybe given time he could have gotten really good. There's just no way to know.
Well, the Westwood dub didn't have the best voice direction, so it makes sense why Kelamis wasn't up to par in his performances in the Saban and Pioneer dubs. Oh, and by the way, he and Corlett weren't informed about Kai, so I don't see how that makes Morrow more passionate than them. That being said, Corlett did say in an interview that he would have considered reprising the role if he had known about Kai.

Honestly, Morrow using the same voice for Goku that he uses for all his other characters doesn't bother me. And you wanna know something? Frank Welker uses his Fred Jones and Dr. Claw voices for other characters and I don't see people complaining about that. Hell, even Sabat's new voice for Piccolo is basically his Zoro voice. You could say the same thing about Strait's Krillin. He basically sounds like Usopp.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:55 am

Despite the fact that out of the Funimation and Ocean casts, Corlett had the least amount of time with Goku, that's my definitive English-speaking Goku. To this day, whenever I read the manga, I really picture Corlett's voice. I feel like he could sound silly and light-hearted, but when he turns on that heroic voice, it's off the chain. On the flip side, even though I have spent the least amount of time knowing Kirby Morrow's portrayal of Goku, that's probably ny second favorite. I don't know what it is, but I like those two voices. Schemmel is third and Kelamis is fourth. I don't know what it is, but Kelamis never landed with me. I feel like the praise for him stems from the fact that he sounds most like Nozawa (especially during fights). Still, he's my least favorite out of the Funimation/Ocean casts. I can see why Morrow is not ideal to play Goku, but I still really enjoy his portrayal.

I'm sure that today, the playing field is a little different than it was when Corlett and Kelamis left. Back then, there really was no growth in doing the series. Corlett had zero idea to know what DBZ would become and even though Kelamis lasted through the DBZ boom, he never got what the Funimation cast got -- expanding into video games and seemingly never-ending content. The Ocean cast don't even get royalties for the roles as their dub was never officially released and I doubt it's being aired. However, now that everyone knows that DB has this never-ending content, it would be one hell of a role to land as opposed to going into it with an end in sight and no real opportunity to branch out through the character.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:02 am

Corlett's portrayal is my favourite as well. If I had to describe it, I would say he made Goku sound like a humble, warm guy but also brave and protective without ever being over confident or aggressive or even heroic actually. He made the character seem like such a simple family man.

He pulled off silly well for the comedic moments but was still maybe a little too well put-together because the country bumpkin vibe is gone.

Ultimately, with better direction & knowledge of the show, he could have been the best period (his screams had to improve though).

This is why I'm excited to hear Ian Cox's. Sometimes he sounds close to Corlett but his natural voice is quite high and we know he can scream with the best of them.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:21 am

SX10 wrote:Corlett's portrayal is my favourite as well. If I had to describe it, I would say he made Goku sound like a humble, warm guy but also brave and protective without ever being over confident or aggressive or even heroic actually. He made the character seem like such a simple family man.

He pulled off silly well for the comedic moments but was still maybe a little too well put-together because the country bumpkin vibe is gone.

Ultimately, with better direction & knowledge of the show, he could have been the best period (his screams had to improve though).

This is why I'm excited to hear Ian Cox's. Sometimes he sounds close to Corlett but his natural voice is quite high and we know he can scream with the best of them.
It's all a matter of perspective, really. Like, I prefer Schemmel, no matter the language I watch Dragon Ball in, but I won't ignore the talents of his Canadian predecessors & contemporaries, since his predecessors are what his performance was initially based on.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, the Westwood dub didn't have the best voice direction, so it makes sense why Kelamis wasn't up to par in his performances in the Saban and Pioneer dubs. Oh, and by the way, he and Corlett weren't informed about Kai, so I don't see how that makes Morrow more passionate than them. That being said, Corlett did say in an interview that he would have considered reprising the role if he had known about Kai.
Dragon Ball Z was the last project either of them did with Ocean. They may have gotten blacklisted for leaving.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, the Westwood dub didn't have the best voice direction, so it makes sense why Kelamis wasn't up to par in his performances in the Saban and Pioneer dubs. Oh, and by the way, he and Corlett weren't informed about Kai, so I don't see how that makes Morrow more passionate than them. That being said, Corlett did say in an interview that he would have considered reprising the role if he had known about Kai.
Dragon Ball Z was the last project either of them did with Ocean. They may have gotten blacklisted for leaving.
Meh, I doubt it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:59 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Meh, I doubt it.
Well, that's a legitimate possibility with Corlett, because he was pretty open about how he and Ocean left on bad terms, and he didn't hold back in criticizing them.

Having said that, the more likely explanation is one that you'll find a lot of actors giving: anime dubbing just isn't lucrative enough in comparison to other forms of voice acting for them to care about pursuing it that much. Heck, Corlett implied in that same interview that he just didn't want to do dubbing work after that, period.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 am

Both of them appeared in the Transformers Cybertron dub that Voicebox (Terry Klassen's company) recorded. I'm not sure ACTRA really offers pay discrimination for dubbing vs. pre-lay (other than maybe a cheaper royalty buyout), which is why Ocean's been able to pull screen actors and other unorthodox casting decisions over the years.

Corlett's been public about his beef with Ocean. Kelamis, who was playing the lead, ditched them mid-way through production on Z. It's not a stretch to think Ocean wouldn't want to work with either of them again. Morrow got to audition again because not only was he their most recent Goku, he was the only one of the three that showed himself reliable.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 am

No new news to post, I just wanted to say I find it fascinating how this thread has become the new WHEN IS FUNIMATION BUU KAI COMING thread. I mean, it was already generating replies but now IT'S THE ONLY THING on this Kai forum that's generating replies (or at least meaningful ones). I still have soft spot for Kai for coming into my life when I was a teenager and getting me back into Dragon Ball again so I'll always hold respect for Kai when most fans have already moved on or ignored it, rightfully so.

I just made a question regarding a bootleg version of Kai on this forum, and although I would hope Ocean would one day release Kai on home release (even though they clearly don't intend to and prefer a broadcast), they would probably never home release it: So, If Kai came out from Ocean - I'd probably just be tempted to make my own bootleg version somehow. I'm already tempted to do the same with Dragon Ball GT's Blue Water dub, but that's another story.

SIDE NOTE: Can anyone confirm if this is really Ocean's Kai intro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWm4ksj4n8w)? I remember seeing it featured on Kanzenshuu somewhere without the visuals, of course. I'm sure it is since so much effort is put into the vocals and soundtrack. If so, I find it kind of cool they're going for something new since we already have Funi's Dragon Soul intros. Makes me interested in how Ocean would handle the Kai dub, which I'm aware is the entire point of this thread.....

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:There's really no way to say how Kelamis would have been if he'd stuck at the role. The thing is that while Schemmel got better over time Kelamis got much worse. The role couldn't have meant as much to Kelamis considering he chose to leave it. He obviously didn't have the passion for it that Sean does so he might never have gotten that good. I'm pretty sure he was still involved in voice work even after leaving DBZ like in Ed Edd n Eddy so he must have considered Goku one of his less important roles which he decided to sacrifice for his comedy career.

Kirby Morrow on the other hand stayed for the remainder of Z and wanted to do Kai too so that shows that he cared about the role more than Kelamis or Corlett. It's too bad he wasn't that well suited for the role. He did sound pretty heroic as Goku but failed at his innocent side and it threw me off how his Goku voice was also the exact same he used for most of his characters. Maybe given time he could have gotten really good. There's just no way to know.
Well, the Westwood dub didn't have the best voice direction, so it makes sense why Kelamis wasn't up to par in his performances in the Saban and Pioneer dubs. Oh, and by the way, he and Corlett weren't informed about Kai, so I don't see how that makes Morrow more passionate than them. That being said, Corlett did say in an interview that he would have considered reprising the role if he had known about Kai.

Honestly, Morrow using the same voice for Goku that he uses for all his other characters doesn't bother me. And you wanna know something? Frank Welker uses his Fred Jones and Dr. Claw voices for other characters and I don't see people complaining about that. Hell, even Sabat's new voice for Piccolo is basically his Zoro voice. You could say the same thing about Strait's Krillin. He basically sounds like Usopp.
That's quite an old comment there, but I think what I was getting at is the fact that Kirby Morrow stuck with Goku for longer than the other 2 combined. For the record I've always been a fan of Corlett's Goku, and Kelamis had his moments. I'm sure they both had their reasons for walking away from the role and both gave it their all while they still had it.

Poor direction from the Westwood dub aside, I think another thing that made it hard for me to get too invested in Kelamis was the fact that he never covered any major battles or iconic moments. Corlett had the entire Saiyan invasion, and Morrow had the battles with Cell and Buu, but Kelamis voiced Goku at really random times. He voiced Goku for part of his spaceship training and his brief battle with Recoome, and then again for the Android saga filler and his short battle with 19. After that he played an unconscious Goku for a long stretch and then voiced him for half of his Time Chamber training before giving up the role. Aside from that he had the 3 movies which he did a good job of.

And you make a good point about the Funimation cast using the same voices for other roles too. But to be fair Strait's delivery as Ussop is much more other the top than his more grounded Krillin. And I think of Sabat's current Piccolo voice as basically being a less gravelly version of his old one. His Zoro while very similar to Piccolo at times often sounds like it's halfway between Piccolo and Yamcha during relaxed scenes. I guess I just feel that Goku should sound more unique although Morrow's Goku isn't bad.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:15 pm

mecha3000 wrote:SIDE NOTE: Can anyone confirm if this is really Ocean's Kai intro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWm4ksj4n8w)? I remember seeing it featured on Kanzenshuu somewhere without the visuals, of course. I'm sure it is since so much effort is put into the vocals and soundtrack. If so, I find it kind of cool they're going for something new since we already have Funi's Dragon Soul intros. Makes me interested in how Ocean would handle the Kai dub, which I'm aware is the entire point of this thread.....
The video is something the person who uploaded it put together. The audio comes from David Steele's website. He's a session musician who previously sang the theme to the 1995 dub of Dragon Ball. He's also worked with Ocean on a few things. So, that track was a legitimate part of this production. When asked David couldn't recall if that was the entire song or just a sample (25 seconds isn't in line with the theme songs for the other Canadian Dragon Ball dubs). He also couldn't remember if that was the final version or just a test.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:36 pm

mecha3000 wrote:although I would hope Ocean would one day release Kai on home release (even though they clearly don't intend to and prefer a broadcast), they would probably never home release it
It's not that Ocean prefer broadcast, I'm sure if they could they would want to make DVDs for a quick buck. It's moreso that's all that is within their power to do. Ocean aren't a distribution company. Also, Funimation own the home video rights in Canada, and in Europe it's likely AB Groupe (now bought by Mediawan) who have the rights, and well, we all know how they are with releasing DVDs outside France. MangaUK could theoretically get the rights to release this dub, even if only for a collector's item but they haven't shown any interest and Funi Kai didn't sell well for them despite some discs containing the much sought-after Yamamoto score, so realistically I don't see anything changing.

Also, don't want to drag this topic too far away from Kai but just want to say Drummond's performance as Copy Vegeta in the latest Super dub episode was phenomenal. Think this is the best we've ever seen him as Vegeta (well pseudo-Vegeta, but its a good representation of how he'd sound in the role of an evil Vegeta). Really, Drummond with Sabat's direction is probably the ideal marriage of how both of them approach the character, especially because we literally had Sabat's Vegeta in the same episodes.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:51 pm

We didn't get home video releases of the earlier alternate Canadian dubs and those were made when home video was booming...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:MangaUK could theoretically get the rights to release this dub, even if only for a collector's item but they haven't shown any interest and Funi Kai didn't sell well for them despite some discs containing the much sought-after Yamamoto score, so realistically I don't see anything changing.
MangaUK don't make their own stuff, they re-release stuff Funimation have already released. Because of this, I don't see MangaUK bothering with doing an Ocean Kai release at all, especially given how badly Kai has done in the UK.
Jerome Mazandarani has basically said as much himself.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.