Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I also just messaged Lee Tockar again on Facebook to ask if he can confirm that he has definitely not been told anything from the higher ups about this dub being cancelled, so fingers crossed.
Got anything from him yet?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I also just messaged Lee Tockar again on Facebook to ask if he can confirm that he has definitely not been told anything from the higher ups about this dub being cancelled, so fingers crossed.
Yes, he said he hasn't been told one way or the other but all he can say is that the job is done and beyond that he can say no more. Optimistically speaking I want this to mean he's still under an NDA (and he seemed to be the last time I messaged too), but I think that's reasonable because if the dub was cancelled why would there be a need to keep anything a secret. After all TheBlackPalladin said that and he's a voice actor so he would know.

From our perspective, like NitroEx said I don't think it would hurt to reach out to Wow, Teletoon and potentially MangaUK and Mediawan. The majority of the Dragon Ball fanbase has unfortunately moved on from Kai, we need to get the message out to anyone who can acquire this dub that there is still a desire and necessity (especially the producers who probably paid a fortune) for it to get some kind of release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Yes, he said he hasn't been told one way or the other but all he can say is that the job is done and beyond that he can say no more. Optimistically speaking I want this to mean he's still under an NDA (and he seemed to be the last time I messaged too), but I think that's reasonable because if the dub was cancelled why would there be a need to keep anything a secret. After all TheBlackPalladin said that and he's a voice actor so he would know.

From our perspective, like NitroEx said I don't think it would hurt to reach out to Wow, Teletoon and potentially MangaUK and Mediawan. The majority of the Dragon Ball fanbase has unfortunately moved on from Kai, we need to get the message out to anyone who can acquire this dub that there is still a desire and necessity (especially the producers who probably paid a fortune) for it to get some kind of release.
I see.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 pm

For Teletoon, Wow, Mediawen, and maybe Turner if Toonami UK happens eventually; Kai was produced nearly 10 years ago now. If Kai airs on a kids-orientated network, a whole new audience could be grabbed by Kai, who've never really heard of it. Now is the perfect time for Kai to air on Canadian or UK TV. Canada never had Kai, and the UK got it for only a short time nearly 10 years ago, using the wrong dub(This is the UK, so Funi's dub is the wrong choice).

For Manga UK, I'm sure UK fans would love to buy Ocean Kai on DVD/BD. Not only would it be the classic voices, but it would be a great release for parents to buy for their kids, since it wouldn't have the swearing and such from Funimation's dub. Plus Ocean fans around the world would probably try to import it.

Manga UK is a long shot, since they prefer to just import existing releases, but Teletoon, Wow, and to an extent Mediawen, need to be E-Mailed. Anyone with 5 minutes free, take some time to put an E-Mail together and send it(Really, 5 minutes is all you need. If you'd rather spend more time on it, go ahead, just put something together, and send it!). If everyone assumes someone else will do something, nothing will happen. Every single person will make a difference here. Send those E-Mails, my friends!! :)

Wow and Teletoon are the big two. Mediawen and Manga UK are a secondary thing to think about.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Robo4900 wrote:For Teletoon, Wow, Mediawen, and maybe Turner if Toonami UK happens eventually; Kai was produced nearly 10 years ago now. If Kai airs on a kids-orientated network, a whole new audience could be grabbed by Kai, who've never really heard of it. Now is the perfect time for Kai to air on Canadian or UK TV. Canada never had Kai, and the UK got it for only a short time nearly 10 years ago, using the wrong dub(This is the UK, so Funi's dub is the wrong choice).

For Manga UK, I'm sure UK fans would love to buy Ocean Kai on DVD/BD. Not only would it be the classic voices, but it would be a great release for parents to buy for their kids, since it wouldn't have the swearing and such from Funimation's dub. Plus Ocean fans around the world would probably try to import it.

Manga UK is a long shot, since they prefer to just import existing releases, but Teletoon, Wow, and to an extent Mediawen, need to be E-Mailed. Anyone with 5 minutes free, take some time to put an E-Mail together and send it(Really, 5 minutes is all you need. If you'd rather spend more time on it, go ahead, just put something together, and send it!). If everyone assumes someone else will do something, nothing will happen. Every single person will make a difference here. Send those E-Mails, my friends!! :)

Wow and Teletoon are the big two. Mediawen and Manga UK are a secondary thing to think about.
Um, the UK already ran their own edit of the US dub & have put it n their home releases...
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:For Teletoon, Wow, Mediawen, and maybe Turner if Toonami UK happens eventually; Kai was produced nearly 10 years ago now. If Kai airs on a kids-orientated network, a whole new audience could be grabbed by Kai, who've never really heard of it. Now is the perfect time for Kai to air on Canadian or UK TV. Canada never had Kai, and the UK got it for only a short time nearly 10 years ago, using the wrong dub(This is the UK, so Funi's dub is the wrong choice).

Actually the UK first got Kai on TV 5 years ago not 10. It didn't even exist until 2009. As for only airing it for a short time, it aired on Kix for 3 years(late 2012-late 2015), which is pretty long considering Kai is much shorter than Z. As for Funimation's dub being "the wrong dub for the UK" I'd have to strongly disagree. Even back in the Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami UK days we got a significant portion of the series in Funimation's dub despite having Ocean for the majority. And clearly Funimation's dub was liked enough by UK fans for Resurrection F to break into the UK Box Office top 10 and get an encore screening later on.

Also both BoG and RoF remain regular staples on the Sky movie channels with Funi's dub. And then there's the Orange Bricks all topping the UK anime charts when they came out, and the Funimation dub of Super already being a bestseller on Amazon UK from pre-orders alone. If that's not enough every main console game since 2003 has also used the Funimation voices.

I think you're overestimating the demand for the Ocean cast. No doubt there are fans who still care, but it remains a niche. I've seen several Ocean fans claim the UK is a non-Funimation zone, but when you look at the long history of both dubs in the UK the truth is both dubs are well liked here. I think the majority of fans here are happy as long they have either of those casts, as long as we're not getting Big Green or Blue Water dubs.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:45 pm

And clearly Funimation's dub was liked enough by UK fans for Resurrection F to break into the UK Box Office top 10 and get an encore screening later on.
The movie's performance at the UK box office clearly wasn't because of the Funi dub. It had more to do with the fact that it was simply a new DBZ movie. A hypothetical Ocean dub of that film would have performed just the same under those circumstances. You're also exaggerating how well the movie performed, according to this it only grossed a total of $280,345 during its screenings in the UK, most of which was from its opening weekend. To me, that signals only die-hard DB fans supported it in the opening week.
Also both BoG and RoF remain regular staples on the Sky movie channels with Funi's dub. And then there's the Orange Bricks all topping the UK anime charts when they came out, and the Funimation dub of Super already being a bestseller on Amazon UK from pre-orders alone.
That's the equivalent of saying a starving population likes a certain food because they ate it when offered. The UK was basically starved of DB content for years, we only had the first three Big Green movie DVDs for the longest time so the market here was always ready for more, and by the time orange bricks were released here it had morphed into a nostalgic property that people remembered from childhood. The UK masses would have bought any DVDs with DBZ on it and a lot of them probably did give up and just import them along the way, although I can bet a portion of those customers weren't too thrilled that the dub being heard was not the one they remembered from TV, that's only a natural and expected response for a kid's property that's mainly appealing to a nostalgic crowd. Did MangaUK advertise on the box that the dub found on the Z discs was a different one than was on TV? Of course not, that would hurt sales.
I think you're overestimating the demand for the Ocean cast.
And I think you're overestimating the demand for the Funi dub. You're conflating success for DB branded media as evidence of the UK population loving the Funi dub... When they just wanted more DBZ.
No doubt there are fans who still care, but it remains a niche. I've seen several Ocean fans claim the UK is a non-Funimation zone, but when you look at the long history of both dubs in the UK the truth is both dubs are well liked here. I think the majority of fans here are happy as long they have either of those casts
UK DBZ fans, in general, are a niche compared to other English speaking countries such as Australia and the U.S., both of which are now riding high off of nostalgia for the Funi dub cast they grew up with, something old school UK fans simply do not share (for the most part), due to growing up with a majority of episodes with Ocean cast on television.

I do agree with your last point though, the brand is the main selling point, not the dub, but the UK fanbase had a fundamentally different experience with the show in its heydey and I think a one size fits all approach of releasing copycat releases with only the Funi dub is the wrong way to handle things here, they could be making money off of the nostalgic Ocean fans here too but it seems they don't want to do that for whatever reason. In my opinion, they should be testing out the market here to see if there is still an actual demand for it in the number of sales, they shouldn't just be assuming nobody wants it or trying to appease Funimation by not touching the subject. At this point, the sales numbers of a potential Ocean release will probably be hurt simply because of the oversaturation of DBZ releases already out there but it's better late than never. At the end of the day the Ocean TV dubs are too high in quality to simply be overlooked as something nobody cares for, the same goes for the movie and (possibly) Kai dubs.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Scsigs wrote:Um, the UK already ran their own edit of the US dub & have put it n their home releases...
90sDBZ wrote:Actually the UK first got Kai on TV 5 years ago not 10. It didn't even exist until 2009. As for only airing it for a short time, it aired on Kix for 3 years(late 2012-late 2015), which is pretty long considering Kai is much shorter than Z. As for Funimation's dub being "the wrong dub for the UK" I'd have to strongly disagree. Even back in the Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami UK days we got a significant portion of the series in Funimation's dub despite having Ocean for the majority. And clearly Funimation's dub was liked enough by UK fans for Resurrection F to break into the UK Box Office top 10 and get an encore screening later on.

Also both BoG and RoF remain regular staples on the Sky movie channels with Funi's dub. And then there's the Orange Bricks all topping the UK anime charts when they came out, and the Funimation dub of Super already being a bestseller on Amazon UK from pre-orders alone. If that's not enough every main console game since 2003 has also used the Funimation voices.

I think you're overestimating the demand for the Ocean cast. No doubt there are fans who still care, but it remains a niche. I've seen several Ocean fans claim the UK is a non-Funimation zone, but when you look at the long history of both dubs in the UK the truth is both dubs are well liked here. I think the majority of fans here are happy as long they have either of those casts, as long as we're not getting Big Green or Blue Water dubs.
Back when the show was originally airing in the UK, they switched to the Funi dub for a couple of episodes in the Fusion saga. Ratings dropped off tramendously, and immediately picked up again when they switched back to Ocean.
What I think's happening is people haven't been given the option to watch the Ocean dub, and because it's been off TV for so long, people just go "It's Dragon Ball, at last! I'mma watch it."
Besides, you're saying this like it's a reason to specifically choose to not air the Ocean dub... People from way back remember the Ocean cast, and would be nostalgic for it. You wouldn't turn any fans off by using Ocean's dub, because UK fans are generally pretty casual, but you'd potentially turn a ton of fans on to it because they'd finally get the voices they grew up with on TV again. It's a win-win.
NitroEX wrote:UK DBZ fans, in general, are a niche compared to other English speaking countries such as Australia and the U.S., both of which are now riding high off of nostalgia for the Funi dub cast they grew up with, something old school UK fans simply do not share (for the most part), due to growing up with a majority of episodes with Ocean cast on television.

I do agree with your last point though, the brand is the main selling point, not the dub, but the UK fanbase had a fundamentally different experience with the show in its heydey and I think a one size fits all approach of releasing copycat releases with only the Funi dub is the wrong way to handle things here, they could be making money off of the nostalgic Ocean fans here too but it seems they don't want to do that for whatever reason. In my opinion, they should be testing out the market here to see if there is still an actual demand for it in the number of sales, they shouldn't just be assuming nobody wants it or trying to appease Funimation by not touching the subject. At this point, the sales numbers of a potential Ocean release will probably be hurt simply because of the oversaturation of DBZ releases already out there but it's better late than never. At the end of the day the Ocean TV dubs are too high in quality to simply be overlooked as something nobody cares for, the same goes for the movie and (possibly) Kai dubs.
Good points there. I really wish Manga UK would release the Ocean/BW dubs sometime. Even for those who aren't fans of the Blue Water dubs, the Ocean dubs were all great, and deserve to be seen.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Um, the UK already ran their own edit of the US dub & have put it n their home releases...
90sDBZ wrote:Actually the UK first got Kai on TV 5 years ago not 10. It didn't even exist until 2009. As for only airing it for a short time, it aired on Kix for 3 years(late 2012-late 2015), which is pretty long considering Kai is much shorter than Z. As for Funimation's dub being "the wrong dub for the UK" I'd have to strongly disagree. Even back in the Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami UK days we got a significant portion of the series in Funimation's dub despite having Ocean for the majority. And clearly Funimation's dub was liked enough by UK fans for Resurrection F to break into the UK Box Office top 10 and get an encore screening later on.

Back when the show was originally airing in the UK, they switched to the Funi dub for a couple of episodes in the Fusion saga. Ratings dropped off tramendously, and immediately picked up again when they switched back to Ocean.
What I think's happening is people haven't been given the option to watch the Ocean dub, and because it's been off TV for so long, people just go "It's Dragon Ball, at last! I'mma watch it."
Besides, you're saying this like it's a reason to specifically choose to not air the Ocean dub... People from way back remember the Ocean cast, and would be nostalgic for it. You wouldn't turn any fans off by using Ocean's dub, because UK fans are generally pretty casual, but you'd potentially turn a ton of fans on to it because they'd finally get the voices they grew up with on TV again. It's a win-win.
At this point, while I'm sure there are older fans who love the Ocean voice cast, the newer generation, much like here in America, are growing up without the baggage of having heard them before FUNi's cast. You're better off hoping the series airs in Canada as filler to fit with Canadian broadcast standards like the final arc of Z was. A lot of the younger generation, unless they actively seek it out online, generally won't care about any alternate dubs unless it's commercially available to them or easily streamed, since the FUNi cast have seemingly supplanted the Ocean/Blue Water casts in terms of what you can find both online & in the home releases. I'm surprised that the seasons/series sets they released in the UK don't come with FUNi's dub on the discs, since the dubs are both uncut & available here in the US & in Australia & New Zealand, as well as Canada if anyone up there cared enough to get the terrible FUNi "remastered" sets.
Like, seriously, though, I'd have to specifically seek out the Ocean & Blue Water dubs, since they're not commercially available anywhere.
90sDBZ wrote:
NitroEX wrote:UK DBZ fans, in general, are a niche compared to other English speaking countries such as Australia and the U.S., both of which are now riding high off of nostalgia for the Funi dub cast they grew up with, something old school UK fans simply do not share (for the most part), due to growing up with a majority of episodes with Ocean cast on television.

Good points there. I really wish Manga UK would release the Ocean/BW dubs sometime. Even for those who aren't fans of the Blue Water dubs, the Ocean dubs were all great, and deserve to be seen.
You forget that the Ocean dub's incomplete, due to how many episodes were skipped to keep up with FUNi's dub at the time. They completely skipped the rest of the Namek stuff, the Garlic JR stuff, & some of the Android stuff to keep up with the airing schedule at the time &, while Kai has apparently been recorded to episode 98, it'd be a different story to try to release the Z recordings.
Besides, was Z ever recorded uncut with Ocean after they started to produce the alternate dub? And even if it was, there's still the first 67 episodes, condensed to 53, being censored because of Saban at the time, so what do they do? Do they get the episodes to keep what recordings or script moments worked in the original dub? Do they even care? And even then, they'd have problems trying to keep vocal continuity between the dubs because of how many of the actors they could probably get to come back to complete it & that's even if they wanna complete it at all. They'd be better off redoing the dub from the ground up with a better script & as many of the actors that they can get, as well as newer actors. FUNi would be better off doing that too, but Z holds too much weight as nostalgia fodder for generation Z (ironic) & Millenials that grew up around that time in the 90s & were able to catch that dub. It'd probably be more troublesome to a degree rather than doing what they're apparently doing; releasing an edit of FUNi's dub on UK TV stations.
Even nowadays, it still confuses the hell out of me why the Bang Zoom dub is getting produced when they have the FUNi dub being produced at the same time. Ocean I get, since it had to do with a mix of broadcast standards & cheep-ass licensers wanting to spend less money to import a dub, but Bang Zoom, really? I'd rather have one centralized dub so there aren't as many heavy debates over casts like we have nowadays. Though I will say that I do like some takes of the Ocean dub cast better than FUNi's. What I mean is that I like Kirby Morrow''s acting at the very least. While I prefer Sean's Goku voice for the character above all others, even Nozawa, I prefer Kirby's acting in the alternate Z dub at points because Sean still wasn't a good VA at that point, though he'd been steadily improving. I don't know if it had to do with Sabat's directing at the time still not being as good as he got later down the line, but Sean was just terrible back then. Like, he's almost there, like, he has his Goku voice evolved from his earlier portrayal into what it is now for the most part, he can scream with the best of them, & he can act happy, but something's just off with a majority of his linereads in the saga & I don't buy him as Goku like I do nowadays. Even in the Z movie dubs, I find him to be a much better actor. Probably because the majority of those were done after Z had been completely recorded, I don't know. Kirby, on the other hand, I buy him being Goku just from his acting. Like this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nMfhiCnKQ. You look up a clip from the FUNi dub &, even though the script's exactly the same, Kirby's just a better actor than Sean was at the time. You'd have to look up to find the Kai TFC recording clip to find something comparable. I don't know. Though, I think Sabat's takes were slightly more panic-filled than Brian Drummond's.
Sorry for my long ramble there. I guess what I'm saying is that I get that people would want the Ocean dub, but if it's not available, I have nothing against FUNi's dub supplanting it like it's apparently started to do in this decade.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 am

Scsigs wrote:You forget that the Ocean dub's incomplete, due to how many episodes were skipped to keep up with FUNi's dub at the time. They completely skipped the rest of the Namek stuff, the Garlic JR stuff, & some of the Android stuff to keep up with the airing schedule at the time &, while Kai has apparently been recorded to episode 98, it'd be a different story to try to release the Z recordings.
Besides, was Z ever recorded uncut with Ocean after they started to produce the alternate dub? And even if it was, there's still the first 67 episodes, condensed to 53, being censored because of Saban at the time, so what do they do? Do they get the episodes to keep what recordings or script moments worked in the original dub? Do they even care? And even then, they'd have problems trying to keep vocal continuity between the dubs because of how many of the actors they could probably get to come back to complete it & that's even if they wanna complete it at all. They'd be better off redoing the dub from the ground up with a better script & as many of the actors that they can get, as well as newer actors. FUNi would be better off doing that too, but Z holds too much weight as nostalgia fodder for generation Z (ironic) & Millenials that grew up around that time in the 90s & were able to catch that dub. It'd probably be more troublesome to a degree rather than doing what they're apparently doing; releasing an edit of FUNi's dub on UK TV stations.
Even nowadays, it still confuses the hell out of me why the Bang Zoom dub is getting produced when they have the FUNi dub being produced at the same time. Ocean I get, since it had to do with a mix of broadcast standards & cheep-ass licensers wanting to spend less money to import a dub, but Bang Zoom, really? I'd rather have one centralized dub so there aren't as many heavy debates over casts like we have nowadays. Though I will say that I do like some takes of the Ocean dub cast better than FUNi's. What I mean is that I like Kirby Morrow''s acting at the very least. While I prefer Sean's Goku voice for the character above all others, even Nozawa, I prefer Kirby's acting in the alternate Z dub at points because Sean still wasn't a good VA at that point, though he'd been steadily improving. I don't know if it had to do with Sabat's directing at the time still not being as good as he got later down the line, but Sean was just terrible back then. Like, he's almost there, like, he has his Goku voice evolved from his earlier portrayal into what it is now for the most part, he can scream with the best of them, & he can act happy, but something's just off with a majority of his linereads in the saga & I don't buy him as Goku like I do nowadays. Even in the Z movie dubs, I find him to be a much better actor. Probably because the majority of those were done after Z had been completely recorded, I don't know. Kirby, on the other hand, I buy him being Goku just from his acting. Like this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nMfhiCnKQ. You look up a clip from the FUNi dub &, even though the script's exactly the same, Kirby's just a better actor than Sean was at the time. You'd have to look up to find the Kai TFC recording clip to find something comparable. I don't know. Though, I think Sabat's takes were slightly more panic-filled than Brian Drummond's.
Sorry for my long ramble there. I guess what I'm saying is that I get that people would want the Ocean dub, but if it's not available, I have nothing against FUNi's dub supplanting it like it's apparently started to do in this decade.
To me, Morrow is more fitting for Trunks than for Goku. And I don't see how their performances are comparable since the TFC dub is just better directed. If you watched clips of the Westwood dub, you can see that the work of the Ocean guys is just not up to par to their work in the Saban and Pioneer dubs.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am

Robo4900 wrote:Back when the show was originally airing in the UK, they switched to the Funi dub for a couple of episodes in the Fusion saga. Ratings dropped off tramendously, and immediately picked up again when they switched back to Ocean.
I know about the whole CNX Fusion saga scenario because I was watching at the time. For starters the switch wasn't just a couple of episodes but for the entirety of the Fusion saga which got shown in Funimation dub for a month or 2 with at least 2 full runs of the saga. It has never been proven one way or the other why the dub suddenly switched and then switched back, and there also isn't any actual evidence to suggest that the drop in ratings even happened. And even if ratings did drop, you can't just conveniently ignore the fact that it was the first time DBZ was airing outside of the kids section, or that there were many people who's Sky subscription had covered Cartoon Network but not CNX, which is the only channel the Funimation Fusion saga aired on in the UK.

If you still think the UK is anti-Funimation then take a look at the Amazon UK reviews for the Orange Bricks.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Se ... l+z+season

The vast majority of them have gotten 5/5 star reviews on average. And if you take the time to read into them you'll see there's very few if any complaints about it not being the Ocean dub. The fact of the matter is many UK fans including myself grew up with both the Funimation and Ocean casts. Furthermore the videogames have been constantly coming out with the Funimation voices since 2003, and for many years were the only things keeping the franchise going over here while selling really well.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 am

NitroEX wrote:The movie's performance at the UK box office clearly wasn't because of the Funi dub. It had more to do with the fact that it was simply a new DBZ movie. A hypothetical Ocean dub of that film would have performed just the same under those circumstances. You're also exaggerating how well the movie performed, according to this it only grossed a total of $280,345 during its screenings in the UK, most of which was from its opening weekend. To me, that signals only die-hard DB fans supported it in the opening week.
And that is a fantastic number, given the circumstance- there were no showings on weekend (if there were then they were super late night), and only one showing in most cinemas the day it came out and then a couple more showings during the week and that was it. It was as limited as limited screening could get, on top of that no advertising too. You are talking as if this was a wide Pixar release or something.

And trust me not only die hard DB fans went, Odeon ended up moving us from the shitty small screen upstairs to one of their biggest ones cuz they under-estimated how many people turned up and there were all sorts of people at the screening.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:32 pm

90sDBZ wrote:If you still think the UK is anti-Funimation then take a look at the Amazon UK reviews for the Orange Bricks.
Flawed premise. I'm not saying the UK is anti-Funimation, I'm saying the Ocean dub does better.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:If you still think the UK is anti-Funimation then take a look at the Amazon UK reviews for the Orange Bricks.
Flawed premise. I'm not saying the UK is anti-Funimation, I'm saying the Ocean dub does better.
Fair enough, but where's the proof that Ocean does any better here? Until we have some actual numbers to compare such as ratings on an even playing field, or sales figures between the UK Orange Bricks and a hypothetical UK Ocean dub home release then the situation remains ambiguous and there's no way to know which dub is more popular here.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the Funimation dub is more popular than the Ocean dub in the UK, considering that there are more Funimation fans than Ocean fans in the English-speaking Dragon Ball fanbase.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the Funimation dub is more popular than the Ocean dub in the UK, considering that there are more Funimation fans than Ocean fans in the English-speaking Dragon Ball fanbase.
That's an incredibly ignorant way of interpreting the available information.

Also, once again, my point all along has been that the Ocean dub does better in the UK historically. So... Why not try it again? It's not like the TV networks have anything to lose by trying; it's Dragon Ball. During the original 2002-2005 UK run, we had four complete cast changes, and it was popular all along. From what I've heard, it was more popular under Ocean's watch, but the point is, we do have a history of switching dubs, so I'm sure people won't mind hearing voices that are different than the games and such.
Besides, for TV networks, Ocean's dub would probably be cheaper to license than Funi's; the replacement score means no need to license the almost certainly more expensive Japanese music, the fact it won't air in the US, but they do have to compete against Funimation means they'd definitely price it lower if they wanted it to air anywhere... It just seems like a good decision all-round for a UK or Canadian network to pick Ocean's dub, at least for the first season or so to see how it goes.

And anyway, surely you want to see the Ocean dub aired? Even if you're not a huge Ocean supporter, having one more dub out there's gotta at least be interesting? With all the support Bang Zoom's dub gets, there should at least be a decent effort to get Ocean's dub out there*. If it turns out not so great, at least we'd finally know, and at least Canada or the UK would have Dragon Ball on air again.

Here's the ultimate thing I'd like any nay-sayers to consider: I am certain most UK fans don't care whether it's Ocean or Funimation, and out of those who do care, I am certain you'll definitely score more points with the Ocean-supporters than you'll lose with the Funimation-supporters by airing Ocean Kai in the UK. Funimation fans still have their Blu-Rays, their torrents, their DVDs, and many of them can probably still appreciate the Ocean dub on TV as an interesting alternative version. Perhaps a version to show their kids, if they're parents, as it won't have swearing, and the violence will probably be less intense. Yes, I realise Funimation's Kai TV cut also has this last point going for it, but what about all the other points I just raised?

*I mean, let's face it, while it has its fans, almost everyone is just indifferent to the Bang Zoom dub, provided Funimation still gets to air in the US, which it always will. Ocean, people are also probably mostly just indifferent to, but it definitely has a lot of fans(Rock The Dragon DVD set, anyone?), but loads of US "Fans" have some weird hate boner for it for some reason, and they seem to be determined to say that anyone who doesn't hate the Ocean dub is wrong somhow... But despite the fact the Ocean dub has this opposition, it does definitely have a lot of fans, otherwise why would the Rock The Dragon set have ever happened in the first place? The hate often tends to drown out the love online, because that's how the internet works, and honestly, a lot of the time, it's how life works; hate is louder than love, but there is an audience for the Ocean dub, because most people don't care. See the above paragraph.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the Funimation dub is more popular than the Ocean dub in the UK, considering that there are more Funimation fans than Ocean fans in the English-speaking Dragon Ball fanbase.
That's an incredibly ignorant way of interpreting the available information.

Also, once again, my point all along has been that the Ocean dub does better in the UK historically. So... Why not try it again? It's not like the TV networks have anything to lose by trying; it's Dragon Ball. During the original 2002-2005 UK run, we had four complete cast changes, and it was popular all along. From what I've heard, it was more popular under Ocean's watch, but the point is, we do have a history of switching dubs, so I'm sure people won't mind hearing voices that are different than the games and such.
Besides, for TV networks, Ocean's dub would probably be cheaper to license than Funi's; the replacement score means no need to license the almost certainly more expensive Japanese music, the fact it won't air in the US, but they do have to compete against Funimation means they'd definitely price it lower if they wanted it to air anywhere... It just seems like a good decision all-round for a UK or Canadian network to pick Ocean's dub, at least for the first season or so to see how it goes.

And anyway, surely you want to see the Ocean dub aired? Even if you're not a huge Ocean supporter, having one more dub out there's gotta at least be interesting? With all the support Bang Zoom's dub gets, there should at least be a decent effort to get Ocean's dub out there*. If it turns out not so great, at least we'd finally know, and at least Canada or the UK would have Dragon Ball on air again.

Here's the ultimate thing I'd like any nay-sayers to consider: I am certain most UK fans don't care whether it's Ocean or Funimation, and out of those who do care, I am certain you'll definitely score more points with the Ocean-supporters than you'll lose with the Funimation-supporters by airing Ocean Kai in the UK. Funimation fans still have their Blu-Rays, their torrents, their DVDs, and many of them can probably still appreciate the Ocean dub on TV as an interesting alternative version. Perhaps a version to show their kids, if they're parents, as it won't have swearing, and the violence will probably be less intense. Yes, I realise Funimation's Kai TV cut also has this last point going for it, but what about all the other points I just raised?

*I mean, let's face it, while it has its fans, almost everyone is just indifferent to the Bang Zoom dub, provided Funimation still gets to air in the US, which it always will. Ocean, people are also probably mostly just indifferent to, but it definitely has a lot of fans(Rock The Dragon DVD set, anyone?), but loads of US "Fans" have some weird hate boner for it for some reason, and they seem to be determined to say that anyone who doesn't hate the Ocean dub is wrong somhow... But despite the fact the Ocean dub has this opposition, it does definitely have a lot of fans, otherwise why would the Rock The Dragon set have ever happened in the first place? The hate often tends to drown out the love online, because that's how the internet works, and honestly, a lot of the time, it's how life works; hate is louder than love, but there is an audience for the Ocean dub, because most people don't care. See the above paragraph.
I'm pretty sure I'm a huge Ocean supporter. What made you think I wasn't?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm a huge Ocean supporter. What made you think I wasn't?
Eh, your specific post there threw me off. Although I will point out I didn't necessarily directly say I thought you were anti-Ocean, I posed it as a hypothetical that even if it turns out you aren't, it'd still be a cool thing to air. :wink:

Anyway, have anything to say about what I said in the bulk of my post there? I put a lot of work into putting that together. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm a huge Ocean supporter. What made you think I wasn't?
Eh, your specific post there threw me off. Although I will point out I didn't necessarily directly say I thought you were anti-Ocean, I posed it as a hypothetical that even if it turns out you aren't, it'd still be a cool thing to air. :wink:

Anyway, have anything to say about what I said in the bulk of my post there? I put a lot of work into putting that together. :lol:
You have some good points there.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:You have some good points there.
Thank you. :D

Any counterpoints?