Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 pm

From what I've seen of the Viz dub, it's far far better than the DiC dub. Please don't say that Stephanie Sheh is worse than Linda Ballantyne, because she's not.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:From what I've seen of the Viz dub, it's far far better than the DiC dub. Please don't say that Stephanie Sheh is worse than Linda Ballantyne, because she's not.

It's more faithful than the DiC dub. It's not better. The original cast gave a much better performance. The new cast just sounds so dull and they all sound nearly the same. It's bad when I can't tell the difference between Sailor Mercury, Luna, and Usagi's friend Naru. Stephanie Sheh can't cry for sh*t and can barely voice act. You say it like Ballatyne was the only Serena. Tracey Moore and Terri Hawkes were leaps and bounds better performers than Sheh

Sheh is better than Ballantyne but not by much. Both the first two girls that voiced Serena/Usagi were waaaay better than Sheh.

Ballatyne is like season 3 era Funi cast and Sheh is idk Buu era?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:12 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:You have one uncut dub which still has censored dialog and another that’s technically uncut but has scripts that are way off.
Actually, both still have censorship baked in from the scripts they were based off of.
Scsigs wrote:That's where I feel you're wrong. The way Kai was edited, for Z if you were to use Kai's dialogue recordings, they would have to be slowed down & if they were to redub Z, then try to reuse the recordings for Kai, they'd have to speed up the recordings or cut out parts of the dialogue, meaning they'd have to do extensive editing to the recordings that would've been better if they'd just rerecorded the dialogue anyways.
Umm... No.
Dialogue would have to be cut and rearranged, but not by a whole ton, since Kai just took scenes from Z as-is and only made the tiniest timing adjustments, so you absolutely could edit old recordings to fit in a way that makes sense, and it'd definitely be cheaper than producing a new dub.
Scsigs wrote:The main reason for the Japanese cast rerecording their dialogue for their dub of the show was because Toei junked the original audio recordings, but I feel they would've done it anyways because of the editing involved like I just said.
Doubtful. Toei are really cheap. If there's a corner they can cut, they'll cut it faster than a rocket-powered F1 car with a thousand knives strapped to its front.
Scsigs wrote:On top of that, from what I've been able to gather, there are apparently changed lines that use the original animation even in the Japanese dub.
No, not really. There's maybe a line or two that were slightly altered. Rest are verbatim what was said in Z. Though the subtitles often render it differently, as Steve Simmons' Japanese -- and his overall aptitude at subbing -- has improved since 1999.
Scsigs wrote:Considering other dub studios also redubbed Kai rather than used their Z audio recordings, I don't think FUNi wouldn't have done the same. I mean, the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal was almost verbatim the same as the first episode of the original show's, but Viz recorded new lines anyways for it, even though they were using the same cast from the original show's dub, since they're dubbed at the same time.
In this hypothetical, Funi would have started the redub in about 2006/2007-ish. Probably would have wrapped it up about 2008, or 2009... Entering into a new dub in 2010 that's the same material they just finished the previous year with the same dialogue, etc., just cut down a bit and with nicer visuals sounds like a poor financial decision.
Viz aren't Funimation, anyway. Viz aren't as cheap, from what I understand.
Scsigs wrote:They tend to handle their dubbing well, with castings, scripts, & releases. Considering they went from laughingstocks with the Z dub on the level of 4Kids, or maybe more appropriately Saban, to top-tier anime dubbing on the level of Ocean & Viz is a real accomplishment.
Ehhhhh...
Funi's casting is... Okay... Their scripts are... Okay... Their releases are... Okay...

Look, Funi are fine, and they're definitely better than they were, but they're just that -- fine.
They're not outstanding, they aren't Ocean or Viz, they're just... Okay. And that bothers me. If Viz did more Ocean dubs, and they got more dubs overall, we'd have a lot more great dubs. As it is, Viz are now doing non-union LA dubs, and Funi are doing their usual non-union Texas dubs... So both are just okay... So we're stuck with most dubs just being good enough, but nothing more.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:You have one uncut dub which still has censored dialog and another that’s technically uncut but has scripts that are way off.
Actually, both still have censorship baked in from the scripts they were based off of.

Did they? Any particular examples? Not arguing with you I just can't think of anything like stilling having Roshi want to walk with Bulma instead of poke her boobs. Like yeah the scripts were way off but all the references to death and "objectionable" material was left in the uncut DBZ dub no?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I mean, the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal was almost verbatim the same as the first episode of the original show's, but Viz recorded new lines anyways for it, even though they were using the same cast from the original show's dub, since they're dubbed at the same time.
Crystal was also a brand new show not a recut like Dragon Ball Kai and differences still existed between Crystal's first episode and the 92 anime's first episode.
True, but even so, they still could've reused some of the dialogue if they felt inclined, like during Usagi's monologue in the episodes. It's basically the same, yet they felt the need to record a new version of it anyways. Hell, between the shot-for-shot remake of Ghost in the Shell & the original, from what I've read, they just reused the original movie's dub rather than make a new one for the remake. The first episode of Sailor Moon '92 & the first episode of Crystal had a lot of identical scenes, so they could've reused some of the recordings if they wanted to.
MasenkoHA wrote:
. Considering they went from laughingstocks with the Z dub on the level of 4Kids, or maybe more appropriately Saban, to top-tier anime dubbing on the level of Ocean & Viz is a real accomplishment.
On level of 4KIDs in the 21st century. At the time I think 4KIDS had more respect when they were just known as the company that dubbed Pokemon. Because even with the dumb Americanization and skipping episodes the early Pokemon dub stayed fairly close to the Japanese script, retained some of the Pokemon voices, and kept about 50 percent of the music (which was more than most broadcast anime of the time) I don't think it was until Yu-Gi-oh that 4KIDS became infamous.

Even Saban their Digimon dub wasn't that bad. I felt it fared better than DBZ or Sailor Moon. Maybe on par with I dunno Funi's Dragon Ball dub?

But Digimon was also being dubbed when Saban seemed to be getting more ballsy (look at the Power Ranger seasons that were on at the time) when Saban was distributing DBZ and overseeing its censorship that was a much more wussier Saban.

I mean shoot by the late 90s/early 2000s Saban seemed to finally be okay with saying the word "die" and letting characters be killed (even if they had to use destroy in that regard)
I mean, yeah, but here's the thing...
The Pokemon dub WAS reasonably accurate, more so when it was in syndication for the first 2 years of it being dubbed than later when it was being made for Fox Kids. Retaining Pokemon voices made sense because most of the names stuck. Only some of the names were changed to American equivalents, but the games did that first. The Americanization was something that at least made sense, since the games did it first & 4Kids followed suit. They went a bit overboard with it, since Pokemon has locations that represent different parts of our world, which they even express in the games. I don't think I need to talk about the stupid "sub replacing a riceball," or "thinking no one wouldn't notice you tried to pass off riceballs as doughnuts" moments, one involving dialogue changes & the other requiring extensive visual edits.
Digimon, while I'm sure is accurate enough, I go back to it & I don't care for the dub as much as I used to. The constant wisecracks, the food references that don't make any sense because the story still takes place in Japan, & some of the vocal continuity errors because they didn't bother getting Joshua Seth back in the studio to have him record those lines. From what I can tell, Tamers was the better dub that Saban produced for the shows they've dubbed, since it was darker overall & everything. I've already noted the fact that Saban was getting more darker with Power Rangers at the same time myself, which started with In Space, then culminated in Time Force. Cerebus Syndrome hit them really well since the early days of Mighty Morphin (which was 5 years earlier & 3 years after the initial DBZ dub), which helped them grow as a production company. Had the company not been sold to Disney, I think they could've furthered it, but then again, we wouldn't have some of the best seasons of the franchise as they are now. That didn't help the earlier seasons, but they're products of the times. I still like the Digimon Tri movie dubs over the earlier Saban dubs, to be honest.
To be fair to FUNi, Saban handled basically all of the dubbing work prior to their in-house dub. Not helping matters is, again, the time they were doing it in. The 90s was the start of the anime boom, but not every show got off very well, which is why we have dub conversations today, which I think goes without saying, but I understand why the original dub happened like it did. Hell, Saban wasn't an upstart company when they adapted Zyuranger into MMPR Season 1 like FUNi was when they started dubbing DBZ. It also doesn't mean I have to like the earlier products they produced for each. They weren't even new to anime dubbing when the dubbed Digimon either, but it seems like they at least attempted to keep the series accurate enough for what happens to make sense. I'd honestly love to see a redub with most of the Tri cast (minus Kari's new VA, yeesh Tara Sands was a bad pick) done by today's standards. Pokemon is ostensibly a kid's show. While the games at least try to treat you like you're smart, most of the seasons of Pokemon after the initial era don't, which even the Japanese producers admit to for many reasons.
MasenkoHA wrote:
since 4Kids had previously done extremely well with marketing Pokemon & Yugioh,
And let's be honest Pokemon and Yugioh were pretty much built in to succeed commercially. 4Kids didn't do anything special. They would have done well regardless as long as they didn't get crappy timeslots.
I mean, yeah. Except, Pokemon as an anime was done to cash in on the games' success. It was made into a licensing juggernaut way before it was released internationally, which it succeeded in doing. Yugioh's anime was done very much the same, but the manga was very different, since it tried out a lot of games before settling on the card game (Yugioh literally translating to "king of games"), though it works differently than the real life card game & even the version of the card game in the show, since it's at least explained, & has defined rules, on how everything is supposed to work in the manga (which Viz partially screws up by using the real life card descriptions that are different from the manga's, where I've read they keep the dialogue basically the same in the translation). Anyways, the anime was definitely made to focus on the merch. Given how Japan's economy apparently works, all of their TV shows work like this, it seems.
We can say the same about Dragon Ball, since no one seems to care about the quality of Super on the production side of the anime to focus on how their show is written, especially in relation to the previous shows. Plus, Kai was cancelled initially because they weren't selling enough merch, which is also why Toriko was cancelled both in anime & manga form, as well as Bleach ending prematurely both times. Hell, that's how Toei licenses a lot of their properties; money. This precisely the reason why Studio Ghibli demanded Disney dub their movies reasonably faithfully & uncut. They didn't care about the money, they cared abut the quality of their content sticking through cultural barriers. This argument is becoming so distorted on my part that I'm gonna stop here. Point is that Toei doesn't care, as long as their properties make money internationally.
MasenkoHA wrote:
The tried to relicense Sailor Moon in 2013, where FUNi had proven themselves. I mean, I'm happy with Viz's redubbing of the series, but I'm still surprised FUNi didn't get it.
God I wish Funimation had gotten the license to Sailor Moon. The Viz dub is just so so bad imo. I mean faithful dub sure. But it's not a good product. IMHO obviously. Their Crystal dub seems okay but I despise Crystal so...
I'm sorry, but, are you judging the show itself, or the dub? The dub, in my opinion, is very well done. The script is colorful, yet accurate, the cast is mostly well picked, & I think is what we'd get out of a FUNimation dub, cast aside.
The show itself, well...
It was the first series to combine magical girl elements with Sentai tropes, which I think it did ok enough. However, while it had the best of Sentai tropes at the time, it also had the worst of them as well. Due to the manga being published monthly, the anime has a ton of filler & not particularly good filler either. I consider it as bad as MMPR Season 1 in that respect, but at least that had a campy cheesy-ness & a general lighthearted tone that allowed me to at least turn my brain off to watch it without a critical lense & I didn't hate the characters.
Sailor Moon's problem is that I hate Usagi because she's a crybaby, but other than that, she's a bitch. Plus, her relationship with Mamoru borders on toxic at best & creepy at worst, considering he was aged up for no reason from the manga. Plus, it's not played up as a joke. Either that, or we're supposed to find Usagi's constant whining & complaining funny, which, because of how it's played, I don't think it is. Then the series asks us to find her endearing after we were previously subjected to her awfulness.
Crystal remedies both of these situations by cutting the episode count by 72%-74%, plus portrays everybody in a better light overall. I HATED Usagi in the '92 anime, but I don't hate her in Crystal. On top of that, Crystal's first season was dubbed 2 years after the first season of '92. The first season's dub on some of the cast's parts is just ok. They get better over time, but the first season is just ok. By the time Crystal started being dubbed, they'd grown into their roles decently.
MasenkoHA wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:From what I've seen of the Viz dub, it's far far better than the DiC dub. Please don't say that Stephanie Sheh is worse than Linda Ballantyne, because she's not.
It's more faithful than the DiC dub. It's not better. The original cast gave a much better performance. The new cast just sounds so dull and they all sound nearly the same. It's bad when I can't tell the difference between Sailor Mercury, Luna, and Usagi's friend Naru. Stephanie Sheh can't cry for sh*t and can barely voice act. You say it like Ballatyne was the only Serena. Tracey Moore and Terri Hawkes were leaps and bounds better performers than Sheh

Sheh is better than Ballantyne but not by much. Both the first two girls that voiced Serena/Usagi were waaaay better than Sheh.

Ballatyne is like season 3 era Funi cast and Sheh is idk Buu era?
I...have to disagree. Granted, I was way too young to remember the years Sailor Moon's initial dub was on TV, let alone Sailor Moon's initial dub itself, but I have heard clips of the initial 3 actresses who voiced her & from what I remember, none of them come close to Sheh in terms of sounding good in the role of Usagi (or "Serena," as you say). And, in terms of her crying, it's over the top anime crying that you can't take seriously & are expected to laugh at. Why would you expect her crying to be 100% genuine regardless of who's playing her? This isn't like One Piece's crying, where the emotions are what make or break them, this is comedic crying, not serious crying. I understand the confusion, since Japanese comedy often involves over-the-top moments that have no subtlety to them, & the crying makes it look like you're supposed to be feeling something else, when it's intended as the exact opposite, just played terribly.
As for everyone else, you really can't tell the difference between them? Come on. They all have distinct tones. I get not being able to tell the differences between females when they're singing, but when they're just talking? Nah.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Personally, it's a tie between Sheh and Moore for me. I'll admit that Sheh can be a bit grating though.

I still prefer Susan Roman over Amanda C. Miller as Sailor Jupiter.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm

There IS one scene where crying does make or break the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1w5jgUO-0&t=4s

Also I think Amanda agrees with you! She loved the old dub! And her Jupiter voice is a bit like Susan's.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 pm

If the DiC dub had been more accurate and had been better directed, then it probably would have been a good, if not great dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Scsigs wrote: The Pokemon dub WAS reasonably accurate, more so when it was in syndication for the first 2 years of it being dubbed than later when it was being made for Fox Kids.
*KidsWB

And lol Pokemon was only in syndication for a month from September 1998 to October 1998 before going on a brief hiatus and moving to KidsWB in February 1999. Dragon Ball Z was in syndication for about two years. Pokemon got out a lot sooner.
Retaining Pokemon voices made sense because most of the names stuck. Only some of the names were changed to American equivalents, but the games did that first. The Americanization was something that at least made sense, since the games did it first & 4Kids followed suit.
Well yeah 4Kids had to go with the Pokemon names and character names Nintendo of America localized. Even Ash was a replacement for Satoshi as a default name in the Red/Blue/Green games. Doesn't excuse the jelly donuts or the Hollywood, California or the do whatever we can to pretend that the show clearly takes place in a Fantasy version of Japan.

From what I can tell, Tamers was the better dub that Saban produced for the shows they've dubbed, since it was darker overall & everything.
While Tamers was the darker one (both the original Japanese and dub) the dub of the first season kept a lot more expected the same company that saw to DBZ being butchered. Biblical references, a poop joke, characters talking about dying and death (albeit reminding you it wasn't for realz) heck it was watered down as all get out but Wizardmon was still allowed to die I'd imagine if Digimon existed and was dubbed in 1996 he would have said he was being downloaded to another file.
I've already noted the fact that Saban was getting more darker with Power Rangers at the same time myself, which started with In Space, then culminated in Time Force.
I didn't really think In Space was that dark the writing got better there but it wasn't any darker than Zeo or parts of Turbo. Lost Galaxy was the season killing off characters left and right. Even having a child character murdered on screen. From the same company that had dead Nameks watered down to hurt Nameks and Dende's family getting away.
Cerebus Syndrome hit them really well since the early days of Mighty Morphin (which was 5 years earlier & 3 years after the initial DBZ dub), which helped them grow as a production company.
Although Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was very preachy and clearly targeting a much younger audience than the later Saban years it was still pretty violent and the reason for a lot of modern BS&P. The show being under severe media watchdog is probably why Saban was so wussy with DBZ. MMPR starting getting less violent in season 3 ish
To be fair to FUNi, Saban handled basically all of the dubbing work prior to their in-house dub.
Not true in the slightest. They composed the BGM and the opening titles and over saw what was considered "fit to air" by their standards. Funimation still wrote the scripts and did the actual paint editing and cutting. Saban didn't dub the show or work on it from a creative standpoint

Hell, Saban wasn't an upstart company when they adapted Zyuranger into MMPR Season 1
They weren't an upstart company but it was an entirely new thing for them to mix Japanese footage with live action footage. They got less dependent as it moved on but they didn't even starting filming their own morphed fight scenes until nearly 50 episodes in.

I'd honestly love to see a redub with most of the Tri cast (minus Kari's new VA, yeesh Tara Sands was a bad pick) done by today's standards
Give me a recut of the dub we have with the Japanese score and some of the more annoying lines and errors removed and I'd be golden. The Adventure dub cast was very talented as a whole.

I'm sorry, but, are you judging the show itself, or the dub? The dub, in my opinion, is very well done. The script is colorful, yet accurate, the cast is mostly well picked, & I think is what we'd get out of a FUNimation dub, cast aside.
The show itself, well...
No I'm judging it as a product for consumers. With weak ass voice acting, sound mixing that sounds like a fandub on Youtube, and a script that sounds like reading subtitles and not like the way people speaking English would actually talk.

the anime has a ton of filler & not particularly good filler either.
The filler has nothing on DBZ.
Crystal remedies both of these situations by cutting the episode count by 72%-74%, plus portrays everybody in a better light overall.
Crystal's problem (besides being ugly looking) is that it takes all the manga's worst aspects and none of the good. In the Dark Kingdom arc of the manga the Senshi actually KILLED the Four Generals and a past relationship was only implied. Crystal ditches that in favor of playing up the relationship. One of Venus's most bad ass moments in the manga, killing Beryl with a sword is given to Moon instead and is a lot tamer. Someone even timed it. The Guardian Senshi spend approx 21 minutes helpless and about 6 and half minutes in combat. Apparently the third season fixes this but too little too late.

I...have to disagree. Granted, I was way too young to remember the years Sailor Moon's initial dub was on TV, let alone Sailor Moon's initial dub itself, but I have heard clips of the initial 3 actresses who voiced her & from what I remember, none of them come close to Sheh in terms of sounding good in the role of Usagi (or "Serena," as you say).
Serena was her name in the original English dub so..

Tracey Moore was fantastic but people forget her because she only did Serena for like the first 11 or so episodes. Terri Hawkes (the people most associate with Sailor Moon's old dub voice) was also great and some hilarious line deliveries but sounded a bit too old. Kind of like how Peter Kelamis was a bit too surfer bro but technically proficient as a performer Hawkes was good but a bit too heavy on the Valley Girl.

Stephanie Sheh has the right tone of voice but is a weak actress. The problem I have with Colleen Clinkenbeard being too try hard for Kai? Multiply that by 10 with Sheh.
And, in terms of her crying, it's over the top anime crying that you can't take seriously & are expected to laugh at.
Its not even over top. Watch the Japanese scene of her wailing at the monster in the first episode, then watch the old dub of the same scene, then watch the Viz dub. Kotono (the Japanese voice actress) and Tracey Moore do a good job of making her shrieking and clearly scared for her life albeit in a comical way. Sheh's sounds so mechanical like she might as well be reading the stage directions aloud. She doesn't sound the least bit afraid for her life like Moore and Kotono did.
Why would you expect her crying to be 100% genuine regardless of who's playing her? This isn't like One Piece's crying, where the emotions are what make or break them, this is comedic crying, not serious crying.
And Sheh can't even do COMEDIC crying right.
As for everyone else, you really can't tell the difference between them? Come on. They all have distinct tones. I get not being able to tell the differences between females when they're singing, but when they're just talking? Nah.
They really don't. There was a dubbed next episode preview that had Naru in the scenes and I thought Naru was doing the next episode preview with Usagi before realizing it was suppose to be Luna. The voices all run together in the Viz dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Double post whoops
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Ehhhhh...
Funi's casting is... Okay... Their scripts are... Okay... Their releases are... Okay...

Look, Funi are fine, and they're definitely better than they were, but they're just that -- fine.
They're not outstanding, they aren't Ocean or Viz, they're just... Okay. And that bothers me. If Viz did more Ocean dubs, and they got more dubs overall, we'd have a lot more great dubs. As it is, Viz are now doing non-union LA dubs, and Funi are doing their usual non-union Texas dubs... So both are just okay... So we're stuck with most dubs just being good enough, but nothing more.
So are you implying that we should have people like Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong, Frank Welker, Kevin Michael Richardson, Phil LaMarr, Kevin Conroy doing dubs?
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 pm

]
8000 Saiyan wrote:Personally, it's a tie between Sheh and Moore for me. I'll admit that Sheh can be a bit grating though.

I still prefer Susan Roman over Amanda C. Miller as Sailor Jupiter.
Amanda C.Miller is the only of the main cast I think does any good (Cindy Robinson who does Beryl is also amazing). Sheh has the right voice but is a weak actress, Kate Higgins sounds like any generic run of the mill anime girl voice and doesn't sound like a shy smart girl. Cristina Vee doesn't have enough fire in her performance like Katie Griffin did :thumbdown: , Cherami Leigh is okaaay but like Sheh she's not a very good voice actor imho.

8000 Saiyan wrote:If the DiC dub had been more accurate and had been better directed, then it probably would have been a good, if not great dub.
I think of the Dic dub (at least the syndicated episode) the same as I do the old DBZ dub (funny both shows were outsourced to Canadian companies for the voice talent and recording and aired in syndication before making it big on Toonami) . Good voice acting bogged down by too much censorship. A big problem with the DIc dub was consistency and a lack of any sort of creative control. Characters would know things they weren't suppose to know yet then forget. Terminology would change. And it got worse when another company took over.

On the other hand the DiC dub would have some scripts that were very close to the Japanese version (which I don't think Funi ever until Kai?) and even if they completely replaced the score it still kept the spirit of the original show with most of the music being a variation of the dub theme, which was itself a variation of the original Japanese theme

But I liked the DiC dub for what it was. Warts and all. The voice performances were still miles better than a bland fandub quality Viz dub

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:27 pm

I honestly have to disagree with your idea of Sheh and Leigh being bad actresses.

In most of the stuff I've seen them in, they're excellent.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:37 pm

I have not seen them in anything else so maybe its just the Viz dub. 90 percent of that dubs problems seemed to be poor voice direction and and sound mixing that makes it sound like a fandub.

I might like them better in Crystal. But that would require me to watch Crystal again.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 pm

I certainly don't mean to play mini-mod here (especially since I've done a bit of off-topic commenting on this thread myself), but perhaps discussions about the Ocean dub in general would best be served by taking place on its own thread, and not a thread devoted to the Ocean dub of Kai. If we keep this thread devoted to the original subject--the Ocean dub of Kai--then it'll be easier to keep track of developments on that front.

Since "tone" isn't always clear over the internet, let me be clear, I'm just putting this out there as a casual suggestion, not an angry demand or anything like that. It's not in my power to enforce that anyway, I just thought I'd make a suggestion. *shrug*
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:35 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I certainly don't mean to play mini-mod here (especially since I've done a bit of off-topic commenting on this thread myself), but perhaps discussions about the Ocean dub in general would best be served by taking place on its own thread, and not a thread devoted to the Ocean dub of Kai. If we keep this thread devoted to the original subject--the Ocean dub of Kai--then it'll be easier to keep track of developments on that front.

Since "tone" isn't always clear over the internet, let me be clear, I'm just putting this out there as a casual suggestion, not an angry demand or anything like that. It's not in my power to enforce that anyway, I just thought I'd make a suggestion. *shrug*

Until the actual Ocean dub of Kai comes out (if ever) there isn't much to talk about with regards to Ocean Kai. And I think talking about a dub that we haven't seen yet it's only natural discussion about the previous work is going to come up. I mean hopefully one day Ocean Kai comes out and we have pages and pages of discussion on it as it airs/is seen online/whatever. I hope the day comes when we can have episode discussions, maybe whine and moan if they end up using the edited Nicktoons version as a basis (since Ocean did video editing for Funimation, no?) and debate if they sounded better or worse than their days with Funi or Westwood. Which Goku is the best Ocean Goku Ian or Peter or Kirby or whats his face the new Kai guy.

What do we actually know? A list of voice actors and that they at least dubbed all of Kai and maaaybe a replacement score exist if Schemmel is too be believed (and really there was no way they were going to use Yamamoto's BGM its either the poorly placed Kikuchi music or a brand new score)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Until the actual Ocean dub of Kai comes out (if ever) there isn't much to talk about with regards to Ocean Kai.
That's my point.
MasenkoHA wrote:And I think talking about a dub that we haven't seen yet it's only natural discussion about the previous work is going to come up.
Oh, most definitely. If that's all the thread is talking about, though, then it's not really a thread about the Ocean dub of Kai anymore. I'm not suggesting that discussions about the Ocean dub stop, just that they have their own thread. I mean, c'mon, we all want to see a post one day on this thread to the effect of, "THEY JUST AIRED A TRAILER!!!", or, "WOW MEDIA ANNOUNCES DRAGON BALL KAI!" Right?

I won't speak on this anymore, since I'm not the mod. I just wanted to clarify my position.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 am

I agree. Seeing all these new posts and no actual news must be heartbreaking for those who havent given up hope on the Ocean dub...

... All five of them. LOL.

Anyway, I like the discussion we are having here. I'm fine with it continuing or stopping.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:11 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:So are you implying that we should have people like Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong, Frank Welker, Kevin Michael Richardson, Phil LaMarr, Kevin Conroy doing dubs?
Yes.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I certainly don't mean to play mini-mod here (especially since I've done a bit of off-topic commenting on this thread myself), but perhaps discussions about the Ocean dub in general would best be served by taking place on its own thread, and not a thread devoted to the Ocean dub of Kai. If we keep this thread devoted to the original subject--the Ocean dub of Kai--then it'll be easier to keep track of developments on that front.

Y'know... Actually, I agree.

Perhaps we should start a new thread in general for general dubbing debates, and let this thread be more about Ocean Kai. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:So are you implying that we should have people like Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong, Frank Welker, Kevin Michael Richardson, Phil LaMarr, Kevin Conroy doing dubs?
Yes.
Hate to break it to you, but that's not profitable for dubbing studios or union actors who regularly do prelay work. First, actors like them regularly get paid a lot more than what nonunion work pays & get royalties from the companies who own the shows & movies they record for. Legally, the studios don't have to pay royalties for anime dubs, but they would have to pay the actors a lot more than nonunion work pays, so these actors would have to use pseudonyms to do the work if they'd want to. Then again, they may not want to because dubbing is a more lengthy process than prelay, since you're able to give a more natural performance for prelay, where in dubbing, you need to follow the timing of a line, which for even trained actors can take a while to adjust to, which will add up depending on how long their characters are in the shows or movies. No matter how much we would love it, it wouldn't be economically feasible for them to do this.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs