Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Y'know, since Ocean Kai was only approved by the CRTC in April 2014... I don't think it's all that surprising that Kix weren't presented the Ocean dub as an option back in 2012; it probably only wrapped in late 2013.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:28 pm

If Ocean dubs Final Chapters, they'll have to recast Videl since Moneca Stori is retired.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Will the Ocean Dub Kai feature a soundtrack of its own? The 'beta' opening of Ocean Dub Kai seems to confirm so and I hope. Kai 1.0 could've had a great Kikuchi score but it was a complete mess and Sumitomo ruined Kai 2.0 even more. As if the green tint wasn't bad his score felt like I was being hammered really bad.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Y'know, since Ocean Kai was only approved by the CRTC in April 2014... I don't think it's all that surprising that Kix weren't presented the Ocean dub as an option back in 2012; it probably only wrapped in late 2013.
You know, I have to agree. Didn't think of it that way before. They definitely wrapped in 2013, early-to-mid. Post must have continued till later in the year/ early 2014. I know it was a UK channel and that usually shows are broadcast as dubbing is taking place, but the timing was off. Toei never optioned it to KIX cause it wasn't ready or licensed yet. That would make a lot of sense!

SuperCyan2 - a brand new soundtrack has been confirmed! Apparently it will be reminiscent of DC shows like Teen Titans etc.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:If he does come back it won't be for Goku. Pretty much every leak and hint we've had suggests that someone completely new will voice Goku. And hopefully he won't do Roshi again either, he sounded like Jigglebilly from ATHF. Come to think of it, Canada's never had a good Roshi; 7th times the charm I suppose.
And neither does America have a good Roshi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Will the Ocean Dub Kai feature a soundtrack of its own? The 'beta' opening of Ocean Dub Kai seems to confirm so and I hope. Kai 1.0 could've had a great Kikuchi score but it was a complete mess and Sumitomo ruined Kai 2.0 even more. As if the green tint wasn't bad his score felt like I was being hammered really bad.
Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell listed Kai on their site. They did music for the alternate latter Canadian dub of Z.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Oh, thank god. I can't wait for Ocean Dub Kai to be aired.

In the event they made a home release (BD/DVD) and it only had their own dub, I'd so buy it. I've been waiting years for it! Ocean Dub is always the exception for me. :)
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Guys someone BETTER remember to pay for that channel or whatever. We dont want it to air only for it to get lost in history because NO ONE recorded it. World Trigger anyone?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Guys someone BETTER remember to pay for that channel or whatever. We dont want it to air only for it to get lost in history because NO ONE recorded it. World Trigger anyone?
The channel getting rebranded is obscure but not that obscure lol.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Will the Ocean Dub Kai feature a soundtrack of its own? The 'beta' opening of Ocean Dub Kai seems to confirm so and I hope. Kai 1.0 could've had a great Kikuchi score but it was a complete mess and Sumitomo ruined Kai 2.0 even more. As if the green tint wasn't bad his score felt like I was being hammered really bad.
New score by the guys who did the music for the later arcs of the Ocean dub. Though, this time they've actually composed a full original score, rather than just reusing songs they'd already composed for Mega Man and Monster Rancher, so it should be pretty awesome.
That Kai beta opening may not be the actual opening. It was recorded very early on in the production, and what we hear is just a clip of a demo anyway; the instrumentation sounds pretty rough, and all we've heard is probably one verse of what's likely a much longer song. So, if that is the opening, it will sound rather different on broadcast.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Guys someone BETTER remember to pay for that channel or whatever. We dont want it to air only for it to get lost in history because NO ONE recorded it. World Trigger anyone?
People will cap it for sure, I know one guy who's very dedicated to doing that.
My main concern is that people actually sit down and watch the show. We want it to get good ratings so it will air the full 98-episode run, and potentially lead to a Final Chapters dub.
With that in mind, perhaps pirates should refrain from posting full episodes to the wider internet for a day or two after airing? Just a thought.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
andrewtuell1991 wrote:If he does come back it won't be for Goku. Pretty much every leak and hint we've had suggests that someone completely new will voice Goku. And hopefully he won't do Roshi again either, he sounded like Jigglebilly from ATHF. Come to think of it, Canada's never had a good Roshi; 7th times the charm I suppose.
Them fighting words!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:07 am

EnergizerConvoy wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Them fighting words!
You're a weird guy.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:52 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: And neither does America have a good Roshi.
Them fighting words!
You're a weird guy.
Mike McFarland does a good Roshi. He's supposed to sound like a 300-year-old man & he does.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 am

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote: Them fighting words!
You're a weird guy.
Mike McFarland does a good Roshi. He's supposed to sound like a 300-year-old man & he does.
I've never heard an old man that sounded like McFarland's Roshi. It's such a fake voice. I'd prefer if Funimation had cast an actual old guy in the part.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 am

Scsigs wrote:Mike McFarland does a good Roshi. He's supposed to sound like a 300-year-old man & he does.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I've never heard an old man that sounded like McFarland's Roshi. It's such a fake voice. I'd prefer if Funimation had cast an actual old guy in the part.
I agree at times the voice and delivery can be hammy, especially in the Kai and post-Kai eras. Having said that, it's leagues ahead of Terry Klassen's fake old man voice, and on that note, even Ian Corlett's Roshi was on the same vein as McFarland's Roshi, so I don't buy that argument. McFarland's Roshi is one of the things FUNimation's dub got right from the get-go.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 am

I agree that it's better than Klassen, but that's not a huge achievement.

I dunno, Roshi is one of those characters that doesn't really have a great English voice in my opinion.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:23 am

To be fair neither does any Japanese Muten Roshi not named "Kohei Miyauchi", no one has ever come close.

I really understand because the Latin American Roshi had such a beautiful voice and now he's dead. Its really unfair to other actors to be compared.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:40 am

From everything that's been said about this dub a replacement score is all but confirmed, especially with signs such as the aforementioned opening and Anitunes listing.

Obviously a lot of purists will write this dub off because of it having a new score regardless of quality, but I do hope some will give it a chance. I'm open to it if its as good as we've been led to believe, and any way of experiencing Kai all over again.

I definitely don't see a home release as being a possibility, however if Wow does air this dub and someone records it I will download the episodes, put them onto blank BDs and design my own cover art for a hypothetical 'Dragon Ball Z Kai : Ocean Dub Edition' for personal use (and for those who ask I have supported the official release and will most certainly buy this series again in thethe unlikely event this dub gets a physical release).

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:16 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: You're a weird guy.
I've never heard an old man that sounded like McFarland's Roshi. It's such a fake voice. I'd prefer if Funimation had cast an actual old guy in the part.
Then who would you have to voice Roshi, Chris Sabat? Like it or not, McFarland's Roshi is pretty much the most amazing Old man voice I've seen from someone who was in his late 20's who started it. And I'm not weird, you are.

You need to stop criticizing Funimation and welcome them with Open arms.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Y'know, since Ocean Kai was only approved by the CRTC in April 2014... I don't think it's all that surprising that Kix weren't presented the Ocean dub as an option back in 2012; it probably only wrapped in late 2013.
I don't think that would be a reason to prevent a UK channel from having it. Remember that DBZ's Canadian dub was incomplete and being produced while it was being aired in the UK, I don't really see why Kai would be held back when DBZ clearly wasn't. I think Toei were the ones behind the situation with CSC media, probably something to do with the Dragon Ball rights reverting back to them around that time or something along those lines.