Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Night Owl wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I don't see this dub airing in the UK as there doesn't seem to be any broadcasters interested in Dragon Ball. Even TOEI seem to have given up as they let MangaUK release The Final Chapters and Super on home video before a TV deal could be secured (which is not like them).

Although, Toonami has been making a comeback in other parts of the world like Southeast Asia, Africa, and obviously the US for years, so who knows maybe they could return to the UK soon. If they do make a comeback and pick up Kai we can be pretty sure since its Turner they will air the Ocean dub.
I suppose the UK always had a strange relationship with Dragon Ball when it came to licensing and rights.
Eh. Unusual compared to America, yes, but not all that strange. The UK basically took the same route as Canada for TV, with us using the only dub there was for the first hundred-ish episodes, then jumping ship to the cheaper Canadian dub once that got started, except we jumped into Ocean's revived Z run 60 episodes sooner than Canada, and we didn't really get any home video until MangaUK stepped up as basically just an import company for Funimation releases.

I think if Toonami come back in the UK, we're most likely to get Ocean's dub(It'll probably be cheaper, Turner UK will know it's the guys who used to do it in their version back around 2001-2006, and it'll likely be like the old UK Toonami where it was still very much a childrens' network, but with a lot of action cartoons and such, usually of the kind that appeals to older kids, but everyone can enjoy; Teen Titans, Justice League, Chris Colorado, Dragon Ball, Batman Beyond... So, there'd be no incentive towards uncut, so Ocean's dub would be the more attractive option), but it's really a question of whether Toonami will come back.
Ah, Chris Colorado. That show that was dubbed by the Big Green VA's.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:25 am

Happy 300th page everyone! :clap:
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Ah, Chris Colorado. That show that was dubbed by the Big Green VA's.
Yeah... :lol:

Though they actually did a good job with that show, as I recall. Which actually makes a lot of sense given the show was produced in France, and the actors were working out of France, so presumably that meant everyone had a rather good understanding of the source material's dialogue, and the director probably at least liased with the guys producing the French version.
SX10 wrote:Happy 300th page everyone! :clap:
Well, unlike page 200, we're actually likely to see it fairly soon, unlike then where it was basically hopeless. So, that's progress... :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:15 pm

I think 291 was more magic :P

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:26 pm

sangofe wrote:
I think 291 was more magic :P
What about 276? :wink:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: I think if Toonami come back in the UK, we're most likely to get Ocean's dub(It'll probably be cheaper, Turner UK will know it's the guys who used to do it in their version back around 2001-2006, and it'll likely be like the old UK Toonami where it was still very much a childrens' network, but with a lot of action cartoons and such, usually of the kind that appeals to older kids, but everyone can enjoy; Teen Titans, Justice League, Chris Colorado, Dragon Ball, Batman Beyond... So, there'd be no incentive towards uncut, so Ocean's dub would be the more attractive option), but it's really a question of whether Toonami will come back.
If Toonami ever resurfaces in the UK, I would mark out for a reimagining of the amazing promo spot from 2001 (using the same music of course :D - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUAMfpleRGI)

Can anyone remember what promo spot used "Building Steam With A Grain of Salt" by DJ Shadow? I have a feeling it was maybe a Gundam Wing advert.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Yeah... :lol:

Though they actually did a good job with that show, as I recall. Which actually makes a lot of sense given the show was produced in France, and the actors were working out of France, so presumably that meant everyone had a rather good understanding of the source material's dialogue, and the director probably at least liased with the guys producing the French version.
It still makes me wonder why there's a talent pool of English-speaking VA's in a country that doesn't have English as its first language.

Also, I recall you asking why almost every anime dub is dubbed by Funimation? Well, it's because they're the largest anime dubbing industry in America and since they have the rights to Dragon Ball, that might have helped them in becoming larger than Bang Zoom, Animaze, NYAV and Ocean.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:22 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Yeah... :lol:

It still makes me wonder why there's a talent pool of English-speaking VA's in a country that doesn't have English as its first language.

Also, I recall you asking why almost every anime dub is dubbed by Funimation? Well, it's because they're the largest anime dubbing industry in America and since they have the rights to Dragon Ball, that might have helped them in becoming larger than Bang Zoom, Animaze, NYAV and Ocean.
It also helps that they're a distributor on top of doing their own in-house dubs. But what a lot of people don't realize is that not all dubs distributed by Funimation were recorded by Funimation. Your Name, for example, was dubbed by NYAV Post but distributed by Funimation. If one actually looks into all the dubs distributed by Funimation, they'll find out that a lot more of them are recorded elsewhere than one would originally think, usually at Bang Zoom and NYAV Post.

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:31 am

I didn't know Ocean Studios was still around

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 pm

MonkeyKing16 wrote:I didn't know Ocean Studios was still around
They're not as active as they used to be, but they're still around. They've been doing Gintama which is kinda cool.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:28 pm

The Gintama dub is excellent from what I've seen. I really like that they brought Ted Cole and Lalainia Lindbjerg into the dub.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:57 pm

August 17, 2008 marked the last time a Dragon Ball anime series aired on Canadian television.

It's officially been more than 10 years.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:August 17, 2008 marked the last time a Dragon Ball anime series aired on Canadian television.

On my 18th birthday? That's sad :( here's hoping for a positive return soon!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:52 pm

SX10 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:August 17, 2008 marked the last time a Dragon Ball anime series aired on Canadian television.

On my 18th birthday? That's sad :( here's hoping for a positive return soon!
Happy belated 28th!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:01 pm

18. Like the android. Wow. I'm so thankful for you SX10, you are living the dream of bringing back Dragon Ball to TV. At such a young age.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:18. Like the android. Wow. I'm so thankful for you SX10, you are living the dream of bringing back Dragon Ball to TV. At such a young age.
He meant that August 17th 2008, the last time Dragon Ball aired in Canada, was his 18th birthday, meaning he's 28 now.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Oh... HAPPY 28 BIRTHDAY!

Hahahahahahahaha...I'm a moron.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 pm

One of the recasts I'm looking forward is Recoome's. You know, his original Ocean VA (David Kaye) moved to the U.S and I don't think Ocean could have called him to reprise the role.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:40 am

Tian wrote:One of the recasts I'm looking forward is Recoome's. You know, his original Ocean VA (David Kaye) moved to the U.S and I don't think Ocean could have called him to reprise the role.
It's a shame that he, David Sobolov and Trevor Devall don't work in Vancouver anymore.

Matt Hill, on the other hand, still does voice work for Ocean even though he lives in LA much like those three.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:26 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Matt Hill, on the other hand, still does voice work for Ocean even though he lives in LA much like those three.
I'm not sure Matt Hill ever moved to Los Angeles. Some people seem to have interpreted him getting an agent in the city as him moving, but AFAIK he hasn't appeared in any LA productions and all of his social media accounts still say Vancouver.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.