Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote: Honestly, I'm glad Funi got the rights. Without them we probably wouldn't have gotten this huge number of different English dubs, including the Westwood/Blue Water/Big Green dubs which were created as a reaction against them.
Good that you think that way because in my honest opinion, I'd rather not sell the rights of a very popular franchise to a company that hires amateurs. Those amateurs did improve and are now professionals, but I don't have the patience to wait a decade for them to get good at acting.
Wasn’t FUNimation no longer able to afford the Ocean voice cast after they parted ways with Saban? I thought they had no choice but to hire a bunch of nobodies?
Yes, it is true.

If they couldn't have afforded experienced VA's and had to resort to use a bunch of nobodies, then maybe they should have never gotten the rights to this franchise. What should have been done was giving the rights to a company that could afford experienced VA's, get good translations, etc...

Also, I'm curious. If you don't like Ocean at all, then what the fuck are you even doing here, commentating on a thread about a dub that has voice actors you don't like? At least Scsigs and Mewzard actually like them as actors even if they don't care for the Ocean dubs of this franchise. If I were you, I'd piss off from this thread because I don't see any reason for people who don't like these voice actors to be in this thread, unless you are trying to change your mind on them which I doubt you'll ever do.

But whatever, if you want to keep on commentating on this thread, then fine by me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:11 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Wasn’t FUNimation no longer able to afford the Ocean voice cast after they parted ways with Saban? I thought they had no choice but to hire a bunch of nobodies?
We've never been given an official explanation for why FUNimation decided to stop using the Ocean cast and start using an in-house cast composed primarily of newcomers. Everybody just sort of assumed it was a money issue, and I'd be shocked if it was anything else. We've never gotten an official explanation from somebody who would know, though.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Good that you think that way because in my honest opinion, I'd rather not sell the rights of a very popular franchise to a company that hires amateurs. Those amateurs did improve and are now professionals, but I don't have the patience to wait a decade for them to get good at acting.
Wasn’t FUNimation no longer able to afford the Ocean voice cast after they parted ways with Saban? I thought they had no choice but to hire a bunch of nobodies?
Yes, it is true.

If they couldn't have afforded experienced VA's and had to resort to use a bunch of nobodies, then maybe they should have never gotten the rights to this franchise. What should have been done was giving the rights to a company that could afford experienced VA's, get good translations, etc...

Also, I'm curious. If you don't like Ocean at all, then what the fuck are you even doing here, commentating on a thread about a dub that has voice actors you don't like? At least Scsigs and Mewzard actually like them as actors even if they don't care for the Ocean dubs of this franchise. If I were you, I'd piss off from this thread because I don't see any reason for people who don't like these voice actors to be in this thread, unless you are trying to change your mind on them which I doubt you'll ever do.

But whatever, if you want to keep on commentating on this thread, then fine by me.
Woah. Tone down the hostility. I’m as curious about this dub as anyone else. Why the hell are you attacking me for simply posting on a thread? Are you really this bitter over some off hand comment I made about Beast Wars (which I don’t even consider to be a bad show, I just don’t think it’s aged especially well is all) over a year ago? It doesn’t sound like me commenting on this thread is fine by you at all. It kind of sounds like you’re trying to bully me away from commenting on anything related to the Ocean dubs. Also, when did I ever say I have a problem with the actors? I never even claimed that the people who work at Ocean are bad actors. I’m actually fine with people like Scott McNeil and Garry Chalk as actors. I just said that a lot of the productions that they’ve historically been involved with have been low quality Canadian cartoons. I wasn’t even saying anything negative about the performances of any of the Ocean voice actors.

Seriously, what is your problem?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:27 pm

I seriously have to agree with WittyUsername (Cool name BTW!) he hasnt said anything rude or even all that negative about the Ocean dub.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I seriously have to agree with WittyUsername (Cool name BTW!) he hasnt said anything rude or even all that negative about the Ocean dub.
Well, I have commented on other threads about how I don’t really have any particular fondness towards the Ocean cast, and I did once make an off hand remark about how the voice acting in Beast Wars was a lot more over the top than I remembered (G1 also had pretty over the top voice acting anyway), but I’ve never claimed that I hate the Ocean group, or that their actors suck or anything, and I don’t see why I’d need to be a huge fan of them in order to show some curiosity for this dub.

I guess the bottom line is that if I ever gave off the impression that I’m some salty Ocean hater, it’s not like that. In fact, I’d love to meet people like Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond more than I’d like to meet someone like Sean Schemmel. They seem like genuinely fun people.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 pm

I'm not bitter at all over your opinion on Beast Wars, lol. I just think you're exaggerating on the performances of that show being over the top. Yes, they were over-the-top, but they weren't over-the-top all the time. I'm pretty sure Scott McNeil wasn't hamming it up in Dinobot's death scene.

Yes, you did say that you think they're talented actors, but at the same time you don't care for them because they work on what you consider to be productions of low quality. They're talented actors that don't wow you like some people.

I don't have any problems at all, although you could say that I can be a little passionate and maybe too opinionated. If I was harsh and rude, then I humbly apologize.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm not bitter at all over your opinion on Beast Wars, lol. I just think you're exaggerating on the performances of that show being over the top. Yes, they were over-the-top, but they weren't over-the-top all the time. I'm pretty sure Scott McNeil wasn't hamming it up in Dinobot's death scene.

Yes, you did say that you think they're talented actors, but at the same time you don't care for them because they work on what you consider to be productions of low quality. They're talented actors that don't wow you like some people.

I don't have any problems at all, although you could say that I can be a little passionate and maybe too opinionated. If I was harsh and rude, then I humbly apologize.
Scott McNeil did do a pretty good job with Dinobot’s death scene. Likewise, I think Garry Chalk had a certain likability to his Optimus (still prefer Peter Cullen by a longshot, though), and I think he did a pretty good job at being more subdued in Beast Machines. Honestly, when I made that comment about Beast Wars, it was mostly in regards to me being a bit surprised at how much the show felt like a product of the 90s (which was mostly during season one) rather than me thinking it was a genuinely bad show made by a bunch of stupid hacks.

Anyway, yeah, the Ocean voice cast doesn’t really wow me, but that doesn’t mean that I think these people don’t deserve to work or anything, or that I’m not interested in seeing how this dub turns out. I am genuinely interested in hearing Richard Ian Cox as Goku, as well as “British Mark Hamill”.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:10 pm

A little bit unrelated but Bell has rebranded The Movie Network (which includes HBO Canada) under the Crave name, and TMN subscribers will gain access to Crave's content at no additional charge (and Crave subscribers that don't have TMN will pay for an higher tier to access TMN's content). https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 42065.html

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 am

Not sure what to make of this news other than we'll be hearing more about Crave's acquisitions soon. Hopefully a Wow! Anime collection is just around the corner so we can finally all get ready for Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:54 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Not sure what to make of this news other than we'll be hearing more about Crave's acquisitions soon. Hopefully a Wow! Anime collection is just around the corner so we can finally all get ready for Kai.
Well, for a Wow! anime collection to work, Wow would have to try to license titles on their own. Of course, they can negotiate with other anime licensing companies to bring dubs their service but I only see it most likely happening with VIZ and maybe RightStuf. Aniplex USA's dubs are eventually going to go to Funimation's site completely due to them both being under Sony's wing.
I'm thinking that what Crave can do to prep for Wow! anime collection is add in HIDIVE, like how VRV (which Wow! is pushing content on) in the US is doing the same. It's a great way to introduce the service to people who otherwise wouldn't have known HIDIVE.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 am

That's fair enough. Honestly though, I'm probably just being inpatient because there hasn't been much in the way of news about the linear channel (which I want to debut before April). Would be nice to get a press release confirming Bell has Kai and specifically this dub so it can finally be officially announced and the actors can talk about it, but I'm going to just presume that's not what the company behind it has planned.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 pm

A podcast concerning the upcoming channel has come out today http://www.zannen.ca/2018/11/episode-49 ... bably.html

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:47 am

That was a good podcast. Have to say I was listening to the whole thing waiting for them to bring up Ocean Kai, but when they did I couldn't contain my excitement.

It's just fantastic after all these years to hear the staff of a new TV channel refer to this dub by name, moreover that they recognize its importance in terms of distinguishing WOW from other channels that broadcast anime (such as Toonami US) and being a huge selling point for WOW internationally.

Oh, and that point where they mentioned us being vocal on the Kanzenshuu (yes I know it was pronounced Kaizenshuu, but the guy seemed eager to talk about KAI so I won't lose sleep over it) forums about wanting this dub released, very interesting :shock:, but nice to know our efforts are being recognized.

It's also reassuring that the April date is there because Marni is going out of her way to ensure that WOW will air anime, which while they concede is not a guarantee, it is promising knowing they don't want to rush things, or worse off falling into the trap a lot of broadcasters do in thinking Dragon Ball is just another throwaway kids cartoon that won't have longevity (I'd say this is part of the reason many broadcasters rejected this dub to begin with so its nice to know WOW know what they could potentially have their hands on, great stuff :thumbup: ).

Onwards and upwards by the sound of things :clap:

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:38 pm

So for us who can't sit through the whole thing, what do they say about Kai exactly?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 pm

MistaL wrote:So for us who can't sit through the whole thing, what do they say about Kai exactly?
Got to 0:31:07, they properly talk about Kai. He talks a little about Canadian content, and how getting Canadian dubs is a potentially really cool/important thing to aim for. Generally it's just an attitude of Kai would be great, they're working on it, they know about the Kanzenshuu("Kaizenshuu" :lol:) fans and such who are going crazy about this. (If the guys from that podcast are reading this -- hello there!)

0:38:27, they go into Ocean Kai again. 0:38:49, the guest specifically mentions streaming, and the host is doubtful that streaming will happen, saying he thinks it'll only be broadcast. He says Funimation never got streaming for Kai going in the USA, so he doubts Crave would get the streaming rights to Kai. However, that's the host. The guest from Wow doesn't say anything on that either way.

1:01:00 mentions April as the start date for Wow. Other parts also mention the 1st of April as the channel start date, due to the way Wow's CRTC contract works.

1:04:04, he says "Kai would be a major win."

1:05:55, they're talking about specifically aiming for the Ocean dub of Gundam SEED. Which is notable for how what they say could apply to Dragon Ball.

1:09:40 has mentions of the idea of getting stuff Toonami don't have, such as the unseen Ocean Kai dub, as a big deal.

So, generally, it sounds like the guys at Wow and Crave are thinking this through very well, and really trying to push for some good anime representation in Canada, and Ocean Kai would be a big deal in there.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Got to 0:31:07, they properly talk about Kai. He talks a little about Canadian content, and how getting Canadian dubs is a potentially really cool/important thing to aim for. Generally it's just an attitude of Kai would be great, they're working on it, they know about the Kanzenshuu("Kaizenshuu" :lol:) fans and such who are going crazy about this. (If the guys from that podcast are reading this -- hello there!)
Getting Canadian dubs (more specifically Ocean) is especially important. It was the presence of YTV's Bionix that convinced anime distributors to give dubs to Ocean so they can get a much greater chance at airing on Canadian TV (and when it no longer existed, Vancouver dubs dried up with it) as otherwise Vancouver dubs are much more expensive than even LA dubs. Perhaps this channel's presence can Woo in VIZ, Crunchyroll and Aniplex USA and (though much less due to in-house dub studios) Funimation and Sentai to give dubs to Ocean. What could help more is if the CRTC finally applies the CanCon laws to the streaming service sector due to how much streaming is for anime.
Robo4900 wrote:0:38:27, they go into Ocean Kai again. 0:38:49, the guest specifically mentions streaming, and the host is doubtful that streaming will happen, saying he thinks it'll only be broadcast. He says Funimation never got streaming for Kai going in the USA, so he doubts Crave would get the streaming rights to Kai. However, that's the host. The guest from Wow doesn't say anything on that either way.
You can thank Toei for restricting Kai only to broadcast.
Robo9000 wrote:1:05:55, they're talking about specifically aiming for the Ocean dub of Gundam SEED. Which is notable for how what they say could apply to Dragon Ball.
YTV already aired Ocean dub SEED so there's no need to air it again. This leaves only the Remastered series (which NYAV dubbed and thus not CanCon) as something viable, unless Wow wants to make their own dub of it via Ocean (it'll probably be up to Sunrise since they have the final say on where it gets dubbed). In the mean time, airing 00, Unicorn Re:0096 and IBO would make better sense. Hope the presence of the channel convinces Sunrise to give the next Gundam show to Ocean.
Robo9000 wrote:1:09:40 has mentions of the idea of getting stuff Toonami don't have, such as the unseen Ocean Kai dub, as a big deal.
Ocean Kai is obvious as it was made specifically for Canada. Better mentions would be stuff from Sentai like Made in Abyss and Land of the Lustrious. Of course, there's no limits to what genres of anime Wow's channel could get. They could get stuff that hasn't even been licensed at all and then dub it, such as GeGeGe no Kitaro 2018, Digimon Appmon (Ocean dub Digimon anyone), and (though this is a huge stretch) Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls and SideM (it'd be funny if they also aired on Much cuz they're music shows). Perhaps Wow get into the anime licensing game and become a new competitor to Funimation, Sentai and Crunchyroll.
Robo9000 wrote:So, generally, it sounds like the guys at Wow and Crave are thinking this through very well, and really trying to push for some good anime representation in Canada, and Ocean Kai would be a big deal in there.
In the meantime, Wow can create an anime subchannel on Crave to fill in the voids left by Hulu (especially true for VIZ dubbed titles), maybe have Crave put HIDIVE as a subchannel (it'd bring in more customers to their service due to the minimal overlap between the two)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Wait, so, I'm a little confused, did Wow officially say they have it and are going to air it?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:35 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Wait, so, I'm a little confused, did Wow officially say they have it and are going to air it?
No, not officially from Wow! Unlimited, people are getting a bit ahead of themselves.

But Marni Shulman, the chief of programming for Wow! TV has not been shy to tell us that she's been talking to all of the parties involved about it, so we'll have to wait and see.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:10 am

This is still huge!!! Nearly a decade in the making. Man, I just wish we capitalized it earlier when the actors were a bit younger.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 am

Well it's looking pretty damn likely that this is happening now. I think a huge congratulations are in order for those of you who helped make this a reality. :thumbup:

Whether this dub is awesome or not, it's great that something that's been such a massive curiosity for fans for 8 years will finally see the light of day. It just goes to show nothing should ever be completely ruled out. :)