Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:37 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote: Subjective, as no score given to Dragon Ball changed the tone as dramatically as Faloncer and other replacement scores for DBZ outside of Japan imo.
Funny you say that, because this statement is also subjective.
Well when the day a Japanese score gives Dragon Ball pure techno, trance, or mickey mousing the the visuals on screen, I'll agree with you.
Calling it pure techno is a huge over generalization. The score used in the Westwood was much more unfitting, and nothing even memorable on that note.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Calling it pure techno is a huge over generalization. The score used in the Westwood was much more unfitting, and nothing even memorable on that note.
That's a very subjective thing you just said there.

I think the ambient, chilled-out electronic stuff of the Westwood dub was actually a really cool score, and fitted pretty well.
At the very least, I much prefer it to the overly-intense, droning nonsense of the Faulconer score(Although I will admit -- it did have some kick-ass tracks, and worked really well in the Legacy Of Goku games).

Of course, many would disagree with me there. But note that I'm saying "I think" and "I much prefer" here. This is because this is all my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't assume everyone shares yours. :P
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Funny you say that, because this statement is also subjective.
Well when the day a Japanese score gives Dragon Ball pure techno, trance, or mickey mousing the the visuals on screen, I'll agree with you.
Calling it pure techno is a huge over generalization. The score used in the Westwood was much more unfitting, and nothing even memorable on that note.
I don't like the westwood score either, hence why I said most Japanese scores for Dragon Ball material don't deviant from the tone of Dragon Ball as severely.

The wall to wall music and looney tunes like following the characters movements on screen were some of the biggest offenders of the falconer dub.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Calling it pure techno is a huge over generalization. The score used in the Westwood was much more unfitting, and nothing even memorable on that note.

I think the ambient, chilled-out electronic stuff of the Westwood dub was actually a really cool score, and fitted pretty well.
At the very least, I much prefer it to the overly-intense, droning nonsense of the Faulconer score(Although I will admit -- it did have some kick-ass tracks, and worked really well in the Legacy Of Goku games).

Of course, many would disagree with me there. But note that I'm saying "I think" and "I much prefer" here. This is because this is all my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't assume everyone shares yours. :P
It's all subjective at the end of the day, but I agree and I've said before that the Keenlyside score fits Dragon Ball better than Faulconer. The ambience added some of the mysticism that Faulconer missed, and unlike Faulconer's score it doesn't try too hard, makes better use of silence and gets intense when it needs to. I would honestly be perfectly fine with some tracks being recycled in the Kai dub so long as we get a wealth of this new score and it flows well with the old Westwood score. It may be all nostalgia on my part because that's the dub and the music I was raised on, but likewise I have no problem with the Faulconer score and can enjoy it as just music outside of the show.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:It's all subjective at the end of the day, but I agree and I've said before that the Keenlyside score fits Dragon Ball better than Faulconer. The ambience added some of the mysticism that Faulconer missed, and unlike Faulconer's score it doesn't try too hard, makes better use of silence and gets intense when it needs to. I would honestly be perfectly fine with some tracks being recycled in the Kai dub so long as we get a wealth of this new score and it flows well with the old Westwood score. It may be all nostalgia on my part because that's the dub and the music I was raised on, but likewise I have no problem with the Faulconer score and can enjoy it as just music outside of the show.
Yeah, agreed.

Although honestly, I hope this score is entirely new. Some musical references or nods to previous tracks or themes could be cool, but I'd like the soundtrack to be basically its own new thing.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:It's all subjective at the end of the day, but I agree and I've said before that the Keenlyside score fits Dragon Ball better than Faulconer. The ambience added some of the mysticism that Faulconer missed, and unlike Faulconer's score it doesn't try too hard, makes better use of silence and gets intense when it needs to. I would honestly be perfectly fine with some tracks being recycled in the Kai dub so long as we get a wealth of this new score and it flows well with the old Westwood score. It may be all nostalgia on my part because that's the dub and the music I was raised on, but likewise I have no problem with the Faulconer score and can enjoy it as just music outside of the show.
Yeah, agreed.

Although honestly, I hope this score is entirely new. Some musical references or nods to previous tracks or themes could be cool, but I'd like the soundtrack to be basically its own new thing.
I assume it is entirely new.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:15 am

It is entirely new.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Has anyone tried asking Sabat if he knows anything? Given he was the ADR director and Ocean's TV edits were used for Nicktoons, he may have had some communication with someone at Ocean or whoever the Canadian licensee was since there were alternate lines recorded for the TV edit version. Plus, Schemmel knew a lot about Ocean's dub back in 2010 or so, and if anyone would know more about anything involving the Dragon Ball license and the others who work with it than him, it would be Chris Sabat. Just a thought.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:

I think the Westwood dub score was too repetitive.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think the Westwood dub score was too repetitive.
Well, you're fully entitled to that opinion. And honestly as much as I advocate the Ocean dub, I will admit the score for the Westwood run was repetitive at times. I'm glad Ocean Kai likely won't have to deal with being quite so repetitive.
MistaL wrote:Has anyone tried asking Sabat if he knows anything? Given he was the ADR director and Ocean's TV edits were used for Nicktoons, he may have had some communication with someone at Ocean or whoever the Canadian licensee was since there were alternate lines recorded for the TV edit version. Plus, Schemmel knew a lot about Ocean's dub back in 2010 or so, and if anyone would know more about anything involving the Dragon Ball license and the others who work with it than him, it would be Chris Sabat. Just a thought.
That's a good point.

And actually, I recently had a theory -- what if all Schemmel heard of the music was that 22-second fragment of a demo of the opening titles.
If that was it, I can fully understand why he described it the way he did. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think the Westwood dub score was too repetitive.
Well, you're fully entitled to that opinion. And honestly as much as I advocate the Ocean dub, I will admit the score for the Westwood run was repetitive at times. I'm glad Ocean Kai likely won't have to deal with being quite so repetitive.
MistaL wrote:Has anyone tried asking Sabat if he knows anything? Given he was the ADR director and Ocean's TV edits were used for Nicktoons, he may have had some communication with someone at Ocean or whoever the Canadian licensee was since there were alternate lines recorded for the TV edit version. Plus, Schemmel knew a lot about Ocean's dub back in 2010 or so, and if anyone would know more about anything involving the Dragon Ball license and the others who work with it than him, it would be Chris Sabat. Just a thought.
That's a good point.

And actually, I recently had a theory -- what if all Schemmel heard of the music was that 22-second fragment of a demo of the opening titles.
If that was it, I can fully understand why he described it the way he did. :lol:
I'll be glad as well about that.

That song sounds like something from 4Kids. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 am

Robo4900 wrote:And actually, I recently had a theory -- what if all Schemmel heard of the music was that 22-second fragment of a demo of the opening titles.
I always got the impression Schemmel heard a little more than that, after all he did refer to a "whoosh" sound that occurred in an episode where Bulma turns her head. Regardless, and while I respect Schemmel as an actor I don't trust his critique on the score as he seems to oppose replacement music and alternate English dubs altogether.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:21 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:And actually, I recently had a theory -- what if all Schemmel heard of the music was that 22-second fragment of a demo of the opening titles.
I always got the impression Schemmel heard a little more than that, after all he did refer to a "whoosh" sound that occurred in an episode where Bulma turns her head. Regardless, and while I respect Schemmel as an actor I don't trust his critique on the score as he seems to oppose replacement music and alternate English dubs altogether.
He does oppose them. I believe he opposed to the Faulconer score from day one.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Normally, I'd generally agree with him(Probably not to the same extent), but honestly in the case of Kai, I think it's almost certainly preferable to the poorly-placed Kikuchi score.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
He does oppose them. I believe he opposed to the Faulconer score from day one.
Heh. Yeah, they all hated the original Z dub if you listen to them. When Kai started rolling around, here they were: Sabat and Schemmel sitting in a room talking about how great Kai is going to be and that they don't have the replacement score and they have a faithful dub, yadda yadda. If you ask them today, everything about the Z dub was shitty and they strongly opposed everything since day one. Bullcrap. So what happened to everything before they did Kai? What happened to the Ultimate Uncut where they praised it like the second coming of the series where they had replacement score and mostly followed that original script from the late 90s?

My outlook is pretty simpe in that I don't trust them. I don't trust what they say because they contradict themselves. Before Kai, all you ever heard guys like Sabat and Schemmel say was how popular their version of Z was. They talk about how people started recognizing them in everyday life and how people bought merch all because the show was popular -- a show that, mind you, had replacement scores and a script that took liberties with the dialog. Not once did they ever say, "Yeah it was good despite all of the ways we messed it up."

At roughly the 16 minute mark on the Ultimate Uncut special feature, Chris Sabat even makes fun of the purist fans with this gem: "There's the fan who comes up and says...*using comic collector guy from Simpson's voice* 'Yo in episode 74, it's obviously wrong -- I don't understand why Vegeta would say he had a power level of 120,000 when it's completely wrong; he actually had 172,000 if you would look and see his Scouter, it would be perfectly completely comprehendible."

They used to be so proud of their work. They used to speak so highly of it. They have admitted at different times that they knew nothing about it and fell in love with it as they were doing it... but now, they go back and trash that earlier work. Why? To make some fans on the internet happy? What about the people that actually liked that version? Way to sell them on it and then cut bait. You can praise the new series and you can praise your new style without destroying the old work. But no. And that's exactly why I don't know if I can trust them because they seem to go anywhere the wind blows. And that's fine, I understand that, but at the same time, how can I take anything they say as their truthful opinion?

Anyway, this is about the Ocean dub. I want to see this happen. I really like the Ocean cast and even though as the series moved on and the newer work got more and more sloppy as the old-school actors started dropping off, I think that it had a ton of potential. I still think it does. The Ocean dub is a huge curiosity and I think that it would be great if they pulled the trigger on a release. And I don't know how Canadian and U.K. fans feel about this, but I'd imagine that since they saw all three series having different voices than Funimation's cast, I would imagine that they'd have a soft spot for a well-made Ocean dub.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:18 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Heh. Yeah, they all hated the original Z dub if you listen to them. When Kai started rolling around, here they were: Sabat and Schemmel sitting in a room talking about how great Kai is going to be and that they don't have the replacement score and they have a faithful dub, yadda yadda. If you ask them today, everything about the Z dub was shitty and they strongly opposed everything since day one. Bull crap. So what happened to everything before they did Kai? What happened to the Ultimate Uncut where they praised it like the second coming of the series where they had replacement score and mostly followed that original script from the late 90s?
You ever heard of people changing their minds as time goes on? Due to the eventual release of the Manga, them being in more accurate & better-produced dubs, them getting more acting, directing, & translated script writing experience, & the ability to look back with the home media releases, they must've slowly realized that the original Z dub was garbage from a lot of different angles. Plus, they were recording more accurate dubs of Z all the time with most of the video games they were recording for that got better translations. Sabat himself has been the dub director of most Dragon Ball media, minus GT, & he was just starting out when it came to Z, & Schemmel was really new to voice acting when it came to Z. Even in the dub of the Buu Saga of Z, even though a lot of the voice direction & acting was actually better than the previous arcs, Schemmel's performance as Goku was...extremely hit or miss. So, it's easier, & probably more cringe-worthy, for them to judge their own work than anyone. Even most of Schemmel's voice work for 4Kids was better acted than Z a majority of the time, but then again, most of 4Kids' mainstays had good voice acting most of the time outside of their terrible One Piece dub, so...
TheGreatness25 wrote:My outlook is pretty simple in that I don't trust them. I don't trust what they say because they contradict themselves. Before Kai, all you ever heard guys like Sabat and Schemmel say was how popular their version of Z was. They talk about how people started recognizing them in everyday life and how people bought merch all because the show was popular -- a show that, mind you, had replacement scores and a script that took liberties with the dialog. Not once did they ever say, "Yeah it was good despite all of the ways we messed it up."
That really doesn't help your point much. Just because something's insanely popular doesn't mean it's automatically good. It just got the right marketing, timeslot, channel, time period, etc. A lot of terrible shows/products are given the same thing, like The Big Bang Theory, which has always been terrible, but took a real nose dive into awfulness after season 6. Plus, as people told TheSSUltimateGoku when he started the thread he did that quickly devolved into bitch fits about him preferring Z's dub over Kai's (when the thread was supposed to be about if Z was rebroadcasted on TV, would it be with the replacement music or the Kikuchi score), the replacement score was there, but kids don't really analyze background music that much when watching a TV show or movie. I bring this up only because the show was going to be popular, as it was in many other countries before, regardless of the quality of the dub or the background music. This was the time period where Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, & other action shows aimed at kids, were on TV, after all, some with similar Rock soundtracks.
TheGreatness25 wrote:At roughly the 16 minute mark on the Ultimate Uncut special feature, Chris Sabat even makes fun of the purist fans with this gem: "There's the fan who comes up and says...*using comic collector guy from Simpson's voice* 'Yo in episode 74, it's obviously wrong -- I don't understand why Vegeta would say he had a power level of 120,000 when it's completely wrong; he actually had 172,000 if you would look and see his Scouter, it would be perfectly completely comprehendible."
*Comic Book Guy, but that's besides the point.
Actually, it doesn't seem he was making fun of all purists if you look at that more closely. It seems more like he was making fun of the more pedantic side of the fandom who actually cares about Power Levels & all that crap. TFS did the same thing when they did their Let's Play of DBZ: Sagas, since the game loved to pepper in liberal use of the scouter readings of character Power Levels when you face bosses. Even Toriyama laid the 'power levels' thing to rest in the Namek/Frieza Saga where he, essentially, made Power Levels obsolete by showing how unreliable they are most of the time. Though, it does cross the threshold of purists, since it's stemming from an argument where someone was arguing about a needless change in dialogue, but it's also a Power Level enthusiast he's talking about.
TheGreatness25 wrote:They used to be so proud of their work. They used to speak so highly of it. They have admitted at different times that they knew nothing about it and fell in love with it as they were doing it... but now, they go back and trash that earlier work. Why? To make some fans on the internet happy? What about the people that actually liked that version? Way to sell them on it and then cut bait. You can praise the new series and you can praise your new style without destroying the old work. But no. And that's exactly why I don't know if I can trust them because they seem to go anywhere the wind blows. And that's fine, I understand that, but at the same time, how can I take anything they say as their truthful opinion?
Again, people's opinions can change over time, either as they develop as people, or are made aware of certain facts. They used to not mind the old dub for its inaccuracies, but after working in the anime dubbing industry for almost 2 decades, they've, clearly, changed their opinions. As you said, they didn't know about the series going into it. They were just hired to mimic the Ocean cast in the beginning for the dub. The rest of the Z dub was also reflective & informed by the previous episodes Saban & Ocean recorded for them. It was also what got FUNimation their first taste of success & they didn't exactly have the status to not go with what was working at the time. Kai, for the most part, had no such baggage when it was being dubbed.
And here's the thing, if they were simply doing things to appeal to fans online, they would've appealed more to the Z dub crowd. At this point, you're more liable to find fans loving Kai's dub more than Z's, especially fans who hated the Z dub for all of its inaccuracies. The only people who will deny that the Kai dub is better from every angle is the vocal minority of Z dub fans that hate it for not having what they consider what Dragon Ball Z is, but those fans can be easily ignored.
Also, I don't think they're "destroying" the old dub (though FUNi does a great job of trying to destroy Z with their terrible rereleases of it). If they were, we'd get an all new redub of the entire series & not have the broadcast track at all. It'd essentially be the same as George Lucas keeping the original theatrical versions of the original Star Wars trilogy from being released simply because he feels the original versions aren't as good as the redone versions. A lot of Star Wars purists REALLY hate him for doing that, myself included. The same thing would happen to FUNi if they did that & completely discarded the original Z dub. As Chris Sabat himself put it, the Z dub is good for nostalgia, but the Kai dub's where you go to get serious about it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Scsigs has a point that people change their minds over time. I remember that back in the old days, everyone liked X-Men and Spider-Man TAS. Now, the opinion on those two shows is either mixed. There are those people that will accuse people who like those shows for their nostalgia. Personally, I still like those shows despite their flaws.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Oh, you can change your mind all you want, but when a statement like how Schemmel always opposed changing the music, including Faulconer's score, since day one comes out, I chuckle and point to the fact that not only did Schemmel not give a donkey's nut sack about that, but he was actually proud of that work at that time. This isn't about changing minds, this is about them saying, "Oh well I always thought it was bad." Did you? Then why did you sit in front of a camera and tell people how awesome it was? I understand that Funimation got them to do interviews to promote their stuff, but if these actors truly hated everything they ever did with Z, they could have worked around it and praised the series, or praised their experience with it. Instead, they praised what they did with the series. Now all of the sudden, "Oh yeah, I hated it." Like screw you, guy.

If there's one thing that I hate is that for years, the series was promoted as great. It became popular -- very popular. Yes this "crappy" dub that they did became popular; lots and lots of people like it. Let's say just for giggles that they're actually sincere about how they always wanted to do a "true" dub of Z and blah, blah... do they have to put down their previous work? Do they have to kind of spit in the face of all the fans who actually supported them and loved their version of the series? News flash: If it wasn't for people enjoying that "old, crappy" dub, then Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat and their entire merry little cast would not see the success that they had, at least not in this capacity. So turning around and basically give those fans that supported that project, a middle finger just for the sake of promoting Kai and basically jerking off the fans who never liked their dub in the first place, is kind of messed up.

I am no great advocate for the old dub. I am not delusional or anything, I understand that it was bad. It was inaccurate at times, the acting was horrendous at times, the music was changed completely, a lot of characteristics were portrayed incorrectly, and the feeling of the series became diluted. Granted, that's nothing new. But it had its fans. It had loyal fans who would support the series, who bought the merch, who bought the DVDs, who bought the toys, who paid money for it. Obviously those people sincerely loved that "old crappy" dub and don't care about how accurate it is to the source material because those feelings are outweighed by how the dub made them feel. So why piss on that? Why destroy people's memories? There's a way to promote Kai without bashing the original dub. It's uncalled for and quite honestly, I've seen a lot of that out of Schemmel. While I respect him and I'm sure he's a wonderful guy, there's no need to piss on your old fans' memories and feelings. You can say, "Hey, here's this show and we're going to do it right and accurate with its intended music and dialog and it'll be a lot of fun!" You don't have to go, "Well everything we did before sucked and oh man it was terrible, can you believe what they did to the series? Oh man brutal..." There's no need for that.

Back to my original point: I brought up the Schemmel and Sabat interviews because I call "bullshit" on them "always" having opposed Funimation's treatment of Dragon Ball Z. I call "bullshit" because not only did they not have any damn clue what they were working on, but they didn't even seem to care. They discovered the story as they were doing it and then went out in public to praise it. So don't tell me that you "always" hated how the story was changed when you had zero connection to that story and didn't even have the slightest idea what you were auditioning for. My earlier post was meant to call "bullshit," not tell the world that it was impossible for them to have "changed their minds."

To tie this in with the Ocean dub of Kai -- why does Sean Schemmel have to insert his opinion in the first place? Obviously there's a fanbase that wants to see that dub. If it turns out terrible, then it turns out terrible. But don't stick your two cents into it because, again, you're pissing on someone. There is no need for that. Just say, "Wow, really? They're doing their own? That should be interesting compared to ours!" But no, you have to go and put your opinion out there... if he was referring to Ocean Kai. So basically, I'm trying to say that this is a business where every single version of something will have its fans. It's okay to be political about it and let fans pick and choose what they want to enjoy without telling them your opinions on all of it -- opinions that are actually unsupported, by the way (since he hasn't seen it).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:14 pm

I see your point. The choice of words & feeling they're portraying does seem a bit disingenuous. I still hold to them changing their minds over time, but it does seem a bit sketchy that they're portraying the narrative that they always hated the dub, especially when they were newbies. It's like the guys at TFS hating the earliest episodes of DBZA, but that's only in retrospect because they were just starting out & got better over time as well, only they admit it's only in hindsight when they feel that way.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:32 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Anyway, this is about the Ocean dub. I want to see this happen. I really like the Ocean cast and even though as the series moved on and the newer work got more and more sloppy as the old-school actors started dropping off, I think that it had a ton of potential. I still think it does. The Ocean dub is a huge curiosity and I think that it would be great if they pulled the trigger on a release. And I don't know how Canadian and U.K. fans feel about this, but I'd imagine that since they saw all three series having different voices than Funimation's cast, I would imagine that they'd have a soft spot for a well-made Ocean dub.
As a UK fan, here's my opinion: Funimation's cast is a poor impression of Ocean's cast which got better over time. As they are now, I think they're perfectly fine, but IMO really don't stand up to Ocean at their best. So if Ocean Kai is Ocean at their best, I have no doubt it will be more enjoyable for me than Funimation's Kai dub.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.